Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Don Gato posted:

I'm not going to lie, I actually have no idea who this is since I don't really go into GIP :v:

I don't remember who it was, but if I'm thinking of the same story, a GiP goon whose Sgt. or other commanding officer got their GPS coordinates wrong and accidentally set up a road block inside Syrian territory rather than the border. Cue large Syrian force hauling rear end up on them, recheck coordinates and "Oops, let's pack it up and go!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
It's Vasdus

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

IIRC they were engineers pushing up a giant sand berm along the border with bulldozers and oops we're touching The Lion Assad's side of the backseat

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

shame on an IGA posted:

IIRC they were engineers pushing up a giant sand berm along the border with bulldozers and oops we're touching The Lion Assad's side of the backseat

This is what I pictured:

Anybody got a dime?!

We’re gonna need a shitload of dimes!!

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Here's the story from our defunct idiots thread:

quote:

I once scraped the side of a very angry CWO4's humvee with mine because I was getting mail for the unit by myself, and I misjudged how much space I had to make a sharp turn in the parking area.

The CWO4 was in the vehicle at the time. He was not pleased.

---------

Being an Engineer on the Iraq/Syria border means a lot of border construction. We had a huge, huge AO and we were responsible for building a 15 foot berm between Iraq/Syria to prevent smugglers, allegedly. Since being inside dozers and ACEs in 120 degree heat is an excuse to have heat casualties, most of the work we would do was at dusk into the night.

So we're out building a berm at a new site at like 0200 and something isn't right. The paper maps had us right were we were supposed to be. The FBCB2 had us about a mile on the wrong side of the border. My XO, believing himself to be the second coming of Patton himself, said that we were fine and to continue on mission. This was his project, after all.

About 0230 rolls around and my gunner says

'uh...SGT Vasudus, a BMP is the wheeled ruskie APC right?'
'...no, why?'
'so what's wheeled with a 50 on it?'
'...that's a BRDM...are you studying for the board or something?'
'see those lights way out to the west? like 50 of those BRDM things are coming right for us'

Welp.

I immediately hop up there and look down the nightvision scope to see what the christ he was talking about. Sure as poo poo, there was a huge fuckoff wheeled and light track force heading for us at high speed. At least two whole company+ sized elements.

I tell my XO that we're on the wrong side of the border and the Syrians aren't very happy about it. He says they're wrong and we'll be fine, and he's gonna call in some air support to scare them off. He relays his coordinates and my TOC informs him that the FBCB2 is correct.

XO comes screaming over the radio 'PACK YOUR poo poo! PACK YOUR poo poo! WE'RE ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE BORDER'

So we quickly left this half finished berm project and immediately left the area back to Iraq.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

The idiots threads, both old and new, are goddamn glorious. My favorite story is still probably the guy who earned the nickname 'Squelch'

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

McNally posted:

Here's the story from our defunct idiots thread:

This is goddamn beautiful :allears:. America's finest in action, boys o7

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

aphid_licker posted:

Give the Estonians one nuke with a range sufficient to reach Moscow, then they can look at how much they value not being part of Russia and not being vaporized, respectively and take it from there.

Moscow has a active ABM defense system with 60-80 interceptors spread over 5 launch sites so you'd need a fair number of missiles to get through.

Ukraine is currently developing a SRBM with a 500km range but obviously they don't have any nukes for it, they've also just tested a supersonic anti-ship cruise missile based on the Kh-35 so the tech is there for a land-attack missile. Poland has a handful of JASSMs but those are non-nuclear.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

The idiots threads, both old and new, are goddamn glorious. My favorite story is still probably the guy who earned the nickname 'Squelch'

Gonna need a link to that.

Unless it is the dude who ate awful things. I remember that fella.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

If you haven't read the GiP idiots threads you're really missing out.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Captain Log posted:

Gonna need a link to that.

Unless it is the dude who ate awful things. I remember that fella.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3519705&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Link to the thread. Phone posting so i can't really search for the specific post, but the whole thing is worth skimming. Looooong thread though, don't expect to get through it quickly.

The current one is on the first page in GiP

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

bewbies posted:

I wrote a puff piece on the Su-57 that you guys might like. This is an unedited draft so forgive any typos or bad english.

I enjoyed it.

(Though you should write "Ukraine" instead of "the Ukraine")

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
Annual :sweden: AF christmas tree flight:
https://twitter.com/oroande/status/1204399102445969410?s=19

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Was referred to this thread (Thanks Cyrano), I read about BMDS and nuclear weapons more than anyone really should so I might be able to make a good post from time to time (:lol:). Also own a number of relevant books which have a lot of postable excerpts.

C.M. Kruger posted:

Moscow has a active ABM defense system with 60-80 interceptors spread over 5 launch sites so you'd need a fair number of missiles to get through.

Ukraine is currently developing a SRBM with a 500km range but obviously they don't have any nukes for it, they've also just tested a supersonic anti-ship cruise missile based on the Kh-35 so the tech is there for a land-attack missile. Poland has a handful of JASSMs but those are non-nuclear.

Worth noting that the ABMs around Moscow are legit terminal intercept missiles that accelerate at 100G to ~7km/s and have 10kt nuclear warheads. The terminal defence footprint is also a lot smaller than you'd expect and realistically only covers the centre of Moscow which happens to contain a large number of hardened structures. Actually defending any sizable city from ballistic missiles is near impossible due the the mix of unhardened structures and large footprint which necessitates unsupportable keepout volumes.

That said it wouldn't be impossible to defeat, either through target/yield saturation and/or eliminating radars (Assuming Russia doesn't have some magical overlay defence).

Smiling Jack posted:

If you haven't read the GiP idiots threads you're really missing out.

Agreed, it's good poo poo.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yeah, any of you who aren't reading the GiP idiots thread are missing out.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

You don't even need to be enlisted or a veteran to enjoy it. Sometimes it's a bit acronym-heavy but you can usually work it out by context. Overall it's just good quality institutionalised incompetence!

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Pile Of Garbage posted:

You don't even need to be enlisted or a veteran to enjoy it. Sometimes it's a bit acronym-heavy but you can usually work it out by context. Overall it's just good quality institutionalised incompetence!

America is not the greatest military on the planet.

We are just the least worse.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Memento posted:

My dad bought me that SR-71 for my 11th birthday.

My mother, who had divorced my dad nine years earlier, gave it to Goodwill the next day because she said it was "disgusting military propaganda".

Don't you wish you could go back in time to say "okay Boomer"?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Flikken posted:

We are just the least worse.
It's always shocking when you see some intensely dumb poo poo and then remember that, speaking globally, the guy at sick call because he broke his face trying to ride the floor buffer is a top two-percentile soldier

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Cross-post from before finding this thread:

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Is burying nukes around ICBM launch sites to defend against enemy nukes OSHA (Apologies for lovely pics, taking snaps of books is hard)?

Are there any other equally mental BMDS ideas like this from back in the day? Only one that comes to mind is MPS LoADS (Multiple Protective Shelter Low-Altitude Defence System) for MX (LGM-118 Peacekeeper) sites, originally proposed during the Carter administration.

The idea was that there'd be hundreds of LoAD units containing independent tracking+acquisition radar and a single ABM. These LoAD units would be underground on racetracks in tunnels. The LoAD units would be semi-mobile in the defence area and get rapidly shuttled to some random position in said area to deploy and launch against incoming RVs (I assume there was some level of hand-off between mid-course early warning radar and the site but again it was vague).

At a glance the general aim they were hoping to achieve is a survivable terminal ABM system that is shielded underground as well as being mobile. However there was really a different plan: the idea of Carter's administration was that they would force the USSR to "over-spend" on MIRVs, specifically by forcing them to build massive missiles that would lift stupid numbers of RVs. The US planned to deploy a 23:1 ratio of LoAD units to silos at MX sites. Most MX sites were planned to have 200 silos so there would be thousands of these LoAD units deployed.

Of course none of this insanity came to fruition and died completely when Carter left office.

Edit: here's a diagram of what a LoAD unit would look like.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 10, 2019

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

The US has had near peer allies in the past. Notably the UK before they cut way back.

I would argue that when the UK could still qualify as 'near peer' - what, the 50s? - it was very much still, in some ways, a rival.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

feedmegin posted:

I would argue that when the UK could still qualify as 'near peer' - what, the 50s? - it was very much still, in some ways, a rival.

Sure. See Suez as a great example. But it was a friendly, allied rival. Two peer-ish entities who had their own agendas but recognized that their biggest concerns had a lot of overlap and mutual interests.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3519705&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Link to the thread. Phone posting so i can't really search for the specific post, but the whole thing is worth skimming. Looooong thread though, don't expect to get through it quickly.

The current one is on the first page in GiP

My man. :respek:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Edit: here's a diagram of what a LoAD unit would look like.

Reminds me a bit of the shielded ATVs from "Damnation Alley."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmui7WAO-mQ

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Pile Of Garbage posted:

That said it wouldn't be impossible to defeat, either through target/yield saturation and/or eliminating radars (Assuming Russia doesn't have some magical overlay defence).

That's quite the understatement. For any of the major nuclear powers in a true strategic exchange, BMD is basically tissue paper blocking an oncoming train.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Regardless of Moscow's ABMs it would make way more sense for the Estonians to target St. Petersburg anyway, since it's very close and losing it would be just as unacceptable.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

A.o.D. posted:

Don't you wish you could go back in time to say "okay Boomer"?

I was whiskey drunk on a Saturday night a couple of years ago and got bitter about it, so I went on eBay and bought a new-in-box one for $1200 AUD

That was an interesting conversation with my wife a few weeks later.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Memento posted:

I was whiskey drunk on a Saturday night a couple of years ago and got bitter about it, so I went on eBay and bought a new-in-box one for $1200 AUD

That was an interesting conversation with my wife a few weeks later.

NiB? Well, have you at least played with it?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Sure. See Suez as a great example. But it was a friendly, allied rival. Two peer-ish entities who had their own agendas but recognized that their biggest concerns had a lot of overlap and mutual interests.

Except that the Suez crisis showed they were very much not a near peer. The mere threat of US retaliation forced them to back down in a conflict where a key strategic UK interest was at stake. They were no longer able to act independently on the world stage. The WW2 broke the British Empire and hence the UK as a superpower. Suez was one of the final nails in the coffin showing exactly how far it had fallen post WW2.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
This is true but it took Suez to prove to everyone that the empire(s, because the French were involved too) was finished. Pre-Suez it was possible to believe that Britain would be able to retain an independent power base and economic zone, and it wasn't until after Suez that they really woke up to the realities of the new order.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

madeintaipei posted:

NiB? Well, have you at least played with it?

It's actually in my garage because shortly after I bought it my office became another bedroom for our second child, so all of my poo poo-I-should-have-on-display is boxed up.

Rocks, toys, models, trophies, all sorts of poo poo sitting in plastic tubs that are gathering dust

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Memento posted:

It's actually in my garage because shortly after I bought it my office became another bedroom for our second child, so all of my poo poo-I-should-have-on-display is boxed up.

Wait, what did you get?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Wait, what did you get?

A do-over on his youth.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

Wait, what did you get?

A second child, jeez Neb, it says so right there

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

aphid_licker posted:

A second child, jeez Neb, it says so right there

"Hey Dad, what's in this box?"
"A toy that costs as much as a motorcycle. Don't even look at it"

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Oh, sorry, I needed to read back further.

Also HOW MUCH?!?! That better have been one of those highliner adult remakes, like the transformers that cost $150?

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!
Don't worry, it's in Australia-bux, that's only... like 800 FreedomDollars, holy hell.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Nebakenezzer posted:

Oh, sorry, I needed to read back further.

Also HOW MUCH?!?! That better have been one of those highliner adult remakes, like the transformers that cost $150?

Nope, original 1986, shrink-wrap intact.

To be perfectly honest, I probably paid too much for it, but in the condition mine is in, I can see some listings for more.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
In the last couple of months, I went to a couple of airshows in Korea and Japan and got some good photos.

Seoul ADEX 2019:

This the big airshow and defense tradeshow held in Seoul every couple of years. There were a ton of Korean and US aircraft on static displays. Everything was socked in during the morning, so a bunch of the flying got cancelled, but we got some great weather later in the afternoon.

The big finale was the demo by the ROKAF's Black Eagles aerobatic team. They're the only team in the world that flies eight supersonic trainers.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
[Double posted]