Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!

Timby posted:

GB2 is also an unspeakably ugly movie, which has always surprised me, given Chapman's pedigree. Everything is so smooth and slick and the movie is missing all that beautiful grain that defined the look of the first. That being said, it was shot during a transitional period for film stocks; I believe Chapman shot on the then-recently introduced Eastman 400T 5295 stock, which is a very fast stock, necessary because so much of the movie took place in abject darkness.

I also wonder how much his heart was or wasn't in it. He'd gotten his shot at directing, Clan of the Cave Bear hadn't worked out as he hoped, and so here's a period where he's just getting offered studio comedies and he might wonder, geez, how did I go from shooting Taxi Driver and Raging Bull to Ghostbusters II and Kindergarten Cop.

Here he is talking about that period and GB2. His attitude seems to be pretty philosophical, well, that's the kind of movies they were making then, worked with nice people, paid the bills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fQMv_tuI3I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H2QAEIkFD4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjlCqarSnvQ

GB2 just kind of looks like a movie of its time to me, nothing special about it, nothing so great, nothing so bad. GB1 is just so much more distinctive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Keltar posted:

Guessing Egon went to investigate Shandor Mining and it's where he passed away.

Ivo Shandor was basically the reason why everything happened in the previous movies, he was the guy who built the building in the first movie. The stone etc probably came from the small towns mine and there's some other stuff there.

SimonCat posted:

Why would Egon have Ecto-1? Surely Ray would have the car.

I'm guessing that Egon figured out that this small town was going to be Gozer's next point of entry at some point in the future so he moved everything there and just sat and waited, and his family got pissed off that he disrupted their entire life so he could obsessively stare at a hole in the ground for a few decades.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm guessing that Egon figured out that this small town was going to be Gozer's next point of entry at some point in the future so he moved everything there and just sat and waited, and his family got pissed off that he disrupted their entire life so he could obsessively stare at a hole in the ground for a few decades.

I think Spengler got the City/State of New York to transfer all of his equipment and bury it in an old mine, long term storage, the firehouse, everything. You see the kids going down the firepole in the trailer and it looks dark enough where it might all be underground. I believe he moved out to the middle of nowhere to continue his research, more than likely naming Shandor Mine himself

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I don't think the original trailer is overly comedic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hDkhw5Wkas

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Beachcomber posted:

I don't think the original trailer is overly comedic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hDkhw5Wkas

Yet I still chuckled at least once, which is more than I can say about the new trailer

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Icon-Cat posted:

GB2 just kind of looks like a movie of its time to me, nothing special about it, nothing so great, nothing so bad. GB1 is just so much more distinctive.

Yeah, that's how I feel about GB2, it's not that it's ugly, it's just a bland visual style for the most part.

Definitely a big part of the feel of GB1 and other films of the time is the film stock being so grainy. It's really a big part to of several films of that era that make it a bit iconic.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Yet I still chuckled at least once, which is more than I can say about the new trailer

Weirdly the extra stuff in the German trailer made me chuckle, so I assume that’ll go into the next English one.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its me im the weirdo who prefers gb2 over gb1

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ghostbusters Afterlife: My kingdom for a 'chuckle'.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

DoctorGonzo posted:

its me im the weirdo who prefers gb2 over gb1

Same! I love the first but the second has always had the edge for me.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Delzuma posted:

I believe he moved out to the middle of nowhere to continue his research, more than likely naming Shandor Mine himself

The sign says that the Shandor Mine was established in 1927 :ssh:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I liked the trailer and hope this movie is good.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also what comedy are expecting

fart sounds are not comedy, people getting slimed are not comedy

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sasquatch! posted:

Playing a more "serious" angle - at least for this trailer - is brilliant because it's avoiding the slapstick "THE POWER OF PATTY COMPELS YOU!" juvenile poo poo that everybody hated from the 2016 GB trailer. Having that level of self-awareness should be a good thing.

Yeah, I really like that in this movie the events of the first movie(s?) is history, with Paul Rudd showing the kids video of the original news coverage. The premise gives me hope that they've got something more to say than "what if Ghostbusters but an SNL skit that was 9 times too long? (ie. "an SNL skit")".

It could all still end up being crap of course, but the trailer gave me hope that they're not going for the easiest option. I didn't want a Ghostbusters copy with a bunch of new actors, and it would've been pointless to even try. The new cast and movie wouldn't capture the spirit of the original and it would end up being hated, like the 2016 reboot was.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Edit: wrong thread

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Considering it's heavily implied that the new family are descendants of Egon, I'm still holding out hope of a scene where the remaining originals are sitting around on the porch drinking whiskey and reminiscing about him.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Descendants of Egon.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
How old is egons lovechild? because fin wolfhard is like 15 and appears to be playing around that age. Trying to work out a timeline

Egon has a daughter with a student / moodslime/Janine shortly after GB2. (1990?)

That daughter has fin at age (15?) in 2005.

In 2020 they go broke and move to egons haunted hayride.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Iron Crowned posted:

Considering it's heavily implied that the new family are descendants of Egon, I'm still holding out hope of a scene where the remaining originals are sitting around on the porch drinking whiskey and reminiscing about him.

Peter: "Do you all remember that time he tried to drill a hole in his head? Do you remember that?"
Ray: "He claimed it would've worked if you hadn't stopped him."
Peter: "Yeah."

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I mean, Finn could conceivably be from a previous message. The younger sister is obviously meant to be a direct descendant of Egon because they really played up her nerdliness with the big oversized glasses.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ghostbusters Afterlife: My kingdom for a 'chuckle'.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Fin is the son of Pete Venkmen and Egons daughter.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Peter: "Do you all remember that time he tried to drill a hole in his head? Do you remember that?"
Ray: "He claimed it would've worked if you hadn't stopped him."
Peter: "Yeah."

In the first ten minutes of the film, the children stumble upon the old equipment and unlock a new ghost mystery. The old crew shows up and reminisces about the old days as they educate the kids on what happened in the 80's. The frame goes all wavy and they flash back to the start of the movie Ghostbusters, and the next two hours are dedicated to just replaying the 1984 classic in its entirety.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Maybe this won’t be a comedy that’s similar to the original. Maybe it’s its own thing. Just a good young adult adventure or whatever. I’m good with that. Do something different than expect Ghostbusters 1 again, let’s see what this does over the coming months

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Gatts posted:

Maybe it’s its own thing.

It's demonstrably not its own thing.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Sequel does its own thing:
Ugh this isn't [franchise] at all! This sucks!

Sequel is not its own thing:
Ugh why even make it, if it's just rehashing the original? This sucks!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Malcolm Excellent posted:

How old is egons lovechild? because fin wolfhard is like 15 and appears to be playing around that age. Trying to work out a timeline

Egon has a daughter with a student / moodslime/Janine shortly after GB2. (1990?)

That daughter has fin at age (15?) in 2005.

In 2020 they go broke and move to egons haunted hayride.

How's this for a timeline: Egon has daughter with wife. Wife divorced his rear end before Ghostbusters 1 because of his ghost obsession ruining their lives.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I dug the new trailer, and I'm cautiously optimistic about the film.

As someone who'd generally prefer there be no new ghostbusters at all - as a 'it's going to happen regardless' prospect, this looks like it could actually be good.

After a decade of constant blatant nostalgia pandering in film remakes and sequel reboots, (which this certainly has lots of, don't get me wrong) I was happy to see this film setting itself in a completely new and unfamiliar locale, a completely different type of cast and presumably a plot very different from other Ghostbusters media.

It would have been too easy to argue that the Ghostbuster spirit belongs in New York or the characters had to be geeky scientist cross exterminators, or we yet need another giant monster finale.

Verdicts out on if any of this is actually successful or not until the movie is released of course, but if it is telling it's own story it makes the universe feel bigger rather than smaller and I dig that.

Perhaps we have the 2016 movie, out even ghostbusters 2 to thank for it being a dramatic left turn from New York and familiar locales since (hopefully) some studio heads realised to make one of these critically successful they need to be more than "what we liked before, again", even if people think that's what they want.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The Merkinman posted:

Sequel apes a popular TV show while cramming a trailer full of callbacks: Hey guys it's just doing its own thing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Sequel apes a popular TV show while cramming a trailer full of callbacks: Hey guys it's just doing its own thing.

You know, you don't have to watch the movie when it comes out

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

The Merkinman posted:

Basically. It may suck but like with Star Wars or anything with a fanatical fan base if it doesn’t live up to the feeling or perception in the fan’s head of what “it” should be, it’s going to get raged against and minds made up about how it sucks cause...*gestures wildly*

The instant trigger of gratification and tingly feelings of reassurance weren’t there.

Damned if you do and damned if you don’t. Damned anyway.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The Merkinman posted:

90% of sequels shouldn't exist for this exact reason

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

The Merkinman posted:

Not making a sequel at all:
[Drake pointing and smiling]

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Drink-Mix Man posted:

In the first ten minutes of the film, the children stumble upon the old equipment and unlock a new ghost mystery. The old crew shows up and reminisces about the old days as they educate the kids on what happened in the 80's. The frame goes all wavy and they flash back to the start of the movie Ghostbusters, and the next two hours are dedicated to just replaying the 1984 classic in its entirety.

I’d be down with this. Make it even more like The Princess Bride with the kids butting in with questions periodically.

“Wait, Uncle Ray, where did that ghost kiss you?”

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

You know, you don't have to watch the movie when it comes out

Neither do you.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Neither do you.

I"m going to see it twice just to spite you

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

I"m going to see it twice just to spite you

lol jesus christ

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
That trailer was exactly what I wanted :D I am ridiculously stoked now. There was something so wonderfully grabbing about seeing the ecto tearing through the field and town while they were using the proton pack. I got such an extreme ghostbusters vibe.

I know trailers are cut specifically to cause hype, but I feel good about it!

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Jonas Albrecht posted:

"How dare you like a thing?"

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

"How dare you dislike a thing?"

Have we completed the strawman collector's set?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I somehow don't think this new Ghostbusters is gonna have as much sex jokes and imagery as the original.