Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I will always laugh at how loving stupid the way she hurt herself was and you can't stop me.

I probably would also not leave her crying in a ball after she did it but you know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Early in the season she talked about being in a pre arranged marriage and how she wanted out. Then as she was ostracized and he showed up she immediately turned to how much she was loved cause she knew she wasn’t winning. Poor girl is abused and nobody gives a poo poo.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

IcePhoenix posted:

I will always laugh at how loving stupid the way she hurt herself was and you can't stop me.

I probably would also not leave her crying in a ball after she did it but you know

I never actually saw how she cut herself. But I can't justify how someone could see someone crumpled on the ground, bleeding, and do absolutely nothing. Did they see her and comprehended what they saw?? The only excuse was that they're like Angelina thinking Alison was doing yoga, but there were so many of them nearby...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Invalid Validation posted:

Early in the season she talked about being in a pre arranged marriage and how she wanted out. Then as she was ostracized and he showed up she immediately turned to how much she was loved cause she knew she wasn’t winning. Poor girl is abused and nobody gives a poo poo.

She clarified in exit press that her marriage isn't pre arranged, her parents was and that's what she was referring to. She was pressured to marry early but she dated and chose the guy, but she still got married quicker than she would have liked. She said that her marriage was good but basically in a "five year itch" stage and later in the season as she continued to feel isolated and bullied she did a confessional where she said she was appreciating more the relationship she has with her husband.

I think people in this thread are being incredibly unfair to Karishima and saying lovely stuff, but calling her "abused" seems way too far the other way from what we know.

This season can't end soon enough.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 7, 2019

Lt Jon Kavanaugh
Feb 8, 2012
This season has been absolute poo poo the worst one in a long time. Definitely down there with one world and Nicaragua.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

She clarified in exit press that her marriage isn't pre arranged, her parents was and that's what she was referring to. She was pressured to marry early but she dated and chose the guy, but she still got married quicker than she would have liked. She said that her marriage was good but basically in a "five year itch" stage and later in the season as she continued to feel isolated and bullied she did a confessional where she said she was appreciating more the relationship she has with her husband.

I think people in this thread are being incredibly unfair to Karishima and saying lovely stuff, but calling her "abused" seems way too far the other way from what we know.

This season can't end soon enough.

That makes more sense then.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

AWarmBody posted:

I never actually saw how she cut herself.

She was violently stabbing at a coconut piece in the palm of her hand trying to get the flesh out of it so she could eat it and she missed so the knife went straight into the middle of her palm

e: I probably still have the episode on my youtube dvr give me a minute and I'll clip it

e2: here it is https://streamable.com/tyf3k

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 7, 2019

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

The only good outcome for this season is Sandra winning.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

All these very fit people are bad at physical challenges and I just don’t get it.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

This season has been absolute poo poo the worst one in a long time. Definitely down there with one world and Nicaragua.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

All these very fit people are bad at physical challenges and I just don’t get it.

Seems to mainly just be Dean unless I'm missing something? He clearly just works out to look good but doesn't actually do endurance or functional training.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

Seems to mainly just be Dean unless I'm missing something? He clearly just works out to look good but doesn't actually do endurance or functional training.
https://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/cast/216246/
On the cast page Dean says basketball is one of his hobbies. Maybe he means as a spectator.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, being "fit" can mean a million things. You can play basketball and hit the gym all the time and just be an awkward gently caress or have no balance or get stressed or whatever. Or you could be used to consuming a poo poo ton of calories and vitamins and supplements and 20+ days on a rice and banana diet has you busted. Who knows? Pegging comp threats by their appearance has always been wild guesswork. We've seen Olympic athletes suck at everything physical.

Its like the two biggest skills you can have for Survivor comps is (a) standing in one place for a real long time without losing any tension or focus in your grip and (b) being good at tossing poo poo into hoops or over rings. And even basketball doesn't really help the hoops thing unless you're really practiced at heaving halfcourt shots or shooting at the basket when its 20 feet up or shooting from a swimming pool. Survivor comps don't translate great to normal, every day athletics.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The biggest 'challenge' threats this season have been Jamal, Aaron, Missy and Noura. Which is... actually pretty respectable, considering one owns a gym, one's a yogi and another plays basketball as well.

Dean's the biggest wet fart, but really I'm not that surprised that he's... not very good at anything related to Survivor anymore.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I think I heard Dean played college basketball. He showed up in the challenges where you get to shoot a ball and otherwise sucks though

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Maybe they should change up the challenges a bit more for the merge challenges? drat near every immunity challenge has involved standing on something and holding something else in some way.

No puzzles, no mazes, nothing that is actually unique. The people that are good at those challenges will keep being good at them and doing well. The people that can't do them will fail every time.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Maybe they should change up the challenges a bit more for the merge challenges? drat near every immunity challenge has involved standing on something and holding something else in some way.

No puzzles, no mazes, nothing that is actually unique. The people that are good at those challenges will keep being good at them and doing well. The people that can't do them will fail every time.

I think it's just a budget reason. Endurance challenges are way cheaper.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Last season it was the Warthog who looks liked he worked out, but sucked at every challenge.

freeman posted:

I think it's just a budget reason. Endurance challenges are way cheaper.

Used their budget for Sandra, Rob, the other big heads, and their big unused shelter.

Also the standing in one spot challenges allow for more of Jeff's commentary, and for contestants to talk to him and each other.

Did anyone transcribe Noura's rant about her alliance? At one point she blurted out the following insight into her personal life:
"I take people to insane levels. I literally uplift someone to a point where he's rockin' and goes back to his ex and I'm disposed of even though I break up with him".
But the best was Noura channelling Dr. Manhattan with,
"I'm gonna fast forward to the future then go back and finish up"

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The best was "I'm like the Karishma to them, except I'm actually funny and enjoyable to be around!" while Karishma just looks at her like "dude."

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

And just like Karishma, they’re gonna go hard trying to vote her out. I wish they’d make them work more for the immunity idols if they’re gonna be so prevalent.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Not sure if someone out there hasn't seen this, but was rewatching the mock tribal council from All-Stars again and it is excellent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVJJhgMlBpI

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

And just like Karishma, they’re gonna go hard trying to vote her out. I wish they’d make them work more for the immunity idols if they’re gonna be so prevalent.

Apparently there have been 10 idols so far this season, which is a record. But three of them were given away so the record for idols 'found' is still HvHvH with 9.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Holy poo poo I just watched Karishma's Ponderosa video and if you told me that they just replaced her with someone who looked like her I would believe you. What a complete 180 from a personality standpoint :psyduck:

Although amusingly enough I think if she had been like that during the game she might have been voted out sooner for being too likable. Though Elaine is still in the game so who knows.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There was a tangible shift for Karishima in that video that's really sad where she breaks down when she shows up because everyone comes out to greet her and hug her and she says she didn't expect anyone to. Dramatic shift from everyone treating her like poo poo and her feeling like a pariah to suddenly people treating her like a person and her being able to chill.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If they hated her so much for being weak and whiney, they should have wanted her to make final 3. The show is weird since you have to walk a neutral line, get very lucky, and hope to god you have a good story for the final 3.

Wonder if you could convince like 4 people to go in on voting together and split the million dollars. I would love to see it just to watch the producers poo poo themselves trying to wiggle out of it.

Invalid Validation fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 9, 2019

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It's very explicitly against the rules to make deals like that. It's in their contracts.

I've heard plenty of stories about winners blowing their winnings on trips for the cast though.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

If they hated her so much for being weak and whiney, they should have wanted her to make final 3.
Maybe, but it's not quite that cut and dry. To really want her in the F3 you have to think you'll be there, and some people might see her goat appeal as potentially costing them their own spot at the end.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I think it's simpler than that; there's other goats. Sure, you can beat her, but if you can also beat two other people, and those other people are more predictable, compliant, and/or pleasant to be around, why wouldn't you vote her out?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I've been enjoying the bonus scenes with Rob and Sandra that get posted online they should just replace the next episode with that stuff

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Spergatory posted:

I think it's simpler than that; there's other goats. Sure, you can beat her, but if you can also beat two other people, and those other people are more predictable, compliant, and/or pleasant to be around, why wouldn't you vote her out?

Yeah, Karsihima might have been a goat but she was also a threat. Karishima was trying to make things happen and besides that being a threat it was obvious some of these cast mates just straight were annoyed by it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

incredible how many people can get their brain poisoned by The Edit and think Karishma was a threat. they got rid of her because she was annoying to be around.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Anyone who doesn't vote with the majority, looks for idols, and talks in people's ears about shaking things up is a "threat." It doesn't mean she was a social threat, comp threat, or winning threat. Those are obviously all not the case. But she was constantly encouraging revolution and pissed off the whole tribe with an idol. She was a threat to their game plan.

Its very silly to think a player or person is all one thing.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 10, 2019

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Karishma seems like a nice person but she’s bad at Survivor. She did get a good idol play in though. She had the misfortune of getting stuck with the worst Survivor cast perhaps ever.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Which is wild. I agree with the new casting philosophy but this is the first season completely cast by the new casting director and... it's not going too hot.

Apparently Lynne Spillman wanted to cast attractive single people to create the opportunity for island romances and Jeff wanted a realistic mix of people. Spillman would consistently axe good casting opportunities because they were married.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think anyone's saying she isn't a bad player. But you don't have to be a good player to make something happen. If you've got a bunch of players who are passive and can be pressured into going with the majority and one who is screaming for revolutions and playing idols then that person's the "threat."

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

We've seen the theme of people targeting "threats" from the early onset of the game for the last few seasons and this one just happened to hit the next level because the cast in general isn't good and there was the double episode creeper week.

But like, last season there was literally a winner take all fire making challenge between two people who had already been voted out. This is just the next step.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Jury doesn't have to value firemaking and it doesn't have to value idol play.

The Jury can value whatever it wants. Last season they didn't value Julie's game at all and most were turned off by Gavin's.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zesty posted:

Last season they didn't value Julie's game at all

Things that don't exist generally have a value of zero, yes :v:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

IcePhoenix posted:

But like, last season there was literally a winner take all fire making challenge between two people who had already been voted out. This is just the next step.
Yes, production has gotten carried away with things. And while ioi is better than extinction it’s still getting away from appreciating the game in exchange for a massive ratings grab instead. I’ve liked Australian Survivor better for the last 3 years and I’m super excited for All Stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't really blame production. I just think we're in an era of Survivor where everyone's trying to out puppet master each other which means X targets Y early and then Y gets targeted. I blame Zeke and David.

We'll get past it. The game always redefines itself when some new big player or season comes along.