Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Turned 18 in 1999 and haven’t ever received a summons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I’ve never been called and good thing because I would waste all day just to be peremptorily struck (stricken?)

This is how it went down the last time I was called for a criminal jury.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
I support any opportunity to put on an OOO email and turn my phone off

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Who's gonna say what that looks like

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I've had 3 jury summons, once got struck "for cause" because the judge, and both lawyers looked at the card and saw I was a lawyer and told me to go home, once I didn't even make the panel, and last time (couple months ago) I was number 45 on a date-rape case and they empaneled up to number 42.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

blarzgh posted:

Who's gonna say what that looks like

The joke has been made. Some teeth are longer than others

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/jiveDurkey/status/1204068431454232580

very important that everyone click this video

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I've done that same exact thing. Brought my lunch, computer, file and pen to court in a reusable shopping bag. Feeling very seen right now.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Um, it's reduce, reuse, and recycle, thank you very much.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
*Bane's Voice* No one cared what my files said before I put them in the bag

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Um, it's reduce, reuse, and recycle, thank you very much.

We're the planeteers, and you can be one, too.
Cause saving our planet's the thing to do.
Looting and polluting is not the way.
Hear what Captain Planet, has to say!

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

This is 100% an intentional play for a "look at the balls on this guy" moment.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Mr. Nice! posted:

The jury didn’t say no because of damages. The juror that owns two teslas said that because the “sorry pedo guy you brought this on yourself” tweet didn’t name unsworth specifically he failed to prove that the defamatory statement was directed at him.
As a practical matter, I don't think juries are really all that rigorous in their analysis. If they think a damages demand is completely ridiculous, they might just find against the plaintiff on liability instead.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

gvibes posted:

As a practical matter, I don't think juries are really all that rigorous in their analysis. If they think a damages demand is completely ridiculous, they might just find against the plaintiff on liability instead.

I would expect after the fact they would say as much rather than saying otherwise. The foreman said he failed to prove the pedo guy tweet was directed at unsworth and another juror (that owns two teslas) said the same.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

SlothBear posted:

Nearly a quarter million. IBR didn't even cover the interest payments, so that was higher than the debt I graduated with. Watching that pile up every year with no real guarantee this would work was pretty painful, but it paid off in the end.

Jesus that's incredible. With how the whole system works you might have one of if not the highest amount forgiven of anyone in the country. My understanding is pre 07 loans didn't have infinite gradplus and people took out private ones that weren't eligible (like me) so pslf is really only starting to come online in full this year . I still can't believe it exists and keep expecting to see stories about doctors getting 400k forgiven while congress axes the program

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Over a decade in the UK, not a single jury summons. 6 months in the US and I get a summons letter.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Alaemon posted:

This is what's going on in Michigan. The (now former) judge in question has some felony charges pending (perjury, tampering with evidence, and obstruction of justice) too. State Bar hasn't taken its shot yet, but I suspect that's coming.

http://jtc.courts.mi.gov/formal_complaints_and_disciplined_judges/docs/FC99.MSCopinion.pdf

Our Supreme Court didn't put a lot of heavy lifting into their opinion, relying mostly on the recommendation of the Judicial Tenure Commission.

If you want to go all the way down the rabbit hole, pretty much every document that's been filed is available on the JTC website:

http://jtc.courts.mi.gov/formal_complaints_and_disciplined_judges/pending_formal_comlplaints.php

The Special Master's report is quite comprehensive.

Following up on this, in case anyone found the first batch interesting. The judge in question just plead to perjury last week.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Alaemon posted:

Following up on this, in case anyone found the first batch interesting. The judge in question just plead to perjury last week.

Gimme a tldr?

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

blarzgh posted:

Gimme a tldr?

Judge defrocked because she presided over a murder trial while having a romantic relationship with the lead detective. Also persistently abusive to her staff and litigants. Also when her husband filed for divorce, the case was assigned to her. Ex parte motion to preserve assets/evidence came in, and she delayed DQing, while telling her staff to look up how to wipe her phone. And she lied during her deposition, which is why she plead to perjury.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Yuns posted:

Many thanks to Omerta and Munin for meeting up for lunch with me today. Time entry: Non-billable - administrative: Lunch meeting with industry colleagues 2.0.

Likewise, though I put in 2.5 due to travel time.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Who among us?

https://twitter.com/alandersh/status/1204120017803120645

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/muellershewrote/status/1204158580733014016?s=21

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Alaemon posted:

Judge defrocked because she presided over a murder trial while having a romantic relationship with the lead detective. Also persistently abusive to her staff and litigants. Also when her husband filed for divorce, the case was assigned to her. Ex parte motion to preserve assets/evidence came in, and she delayed DQing, while telling her staff to look up how to wipe her phone. And she lied during her deposition, which is why she plead to perjury.

Hell yeah

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Toona the Cat posted:

Christ

I just assumed based on your hilarious litany of fuckups that you were in your late 20s, not a year older than me

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
I can’t tell when Euph is being serious or doing a bit in the legal thread

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Soothing Vapors posted:

Christ

I just assumed based on your hilarious litany of fuckups that you were in your late 20s, not a year older than me

Ok zoomer

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Watched "Marriage Story" yesterday and it makes me glad my parents had a relatively amicable divorce and that I haven't been involved in ugly divorces as a lawyer.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Here's part of a very cool indictment detailing the wonderful "association for justice" types defense lawyers deal with around here.

There are dozens of lawyers doing this poo poo all over and finally the DOJ is starting to investigate them.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Toona the Cat posted:

Holy poo poo you're ancient!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

some legal-themed holiday cheer from my inbox

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

evilweasel posted:

some legal-themed holiday cheer from my inbox

lol

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Give yourself the gift of Distressed Investing Conference. When you take the DIC, you will learn:

- How to probe an acquisition target to ensure you get in at the bottom, ride the wave to climax, and pull out before the market gets soft again
- Pegging currency and the release it can offer, even without massaging your internals
- When things get hard, how best to drop the heaviest loads of Capital Under Management with minimal back-and-forth
- Butt stuff

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Give yourself the gift of Distressed Investing Conference. When you take the DIC, you will learn:

- How to probe an acquisition target to ensure you get in at the bottom, ride the wave to climax, and pull out before the market gets soft again
- Pegging currency and the release it can offer, even without massaging your internals
- When things get hard, how best to drop the heaviest loads of Capital Under Management with minimal back-and-forth
- Butt stuff

Bravo

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

- Butt stuff

Niiice.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
https://twitter.com/DaveMilbo/status/1204147550770454528?s=20

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Well, at least they know they have to pay Disney something. So many times you see these councils just forget to pay the royalty dues and that's where it all goes to pieces.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Someone inform them that all sequels are fanfic, including stuff like empire strikes back or the two towers , so go hog wild who cares

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Phil Moscowitz posted:

- Butt stuff

Noice. Real noice.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Phil Moscowitz posted:

There are dozens of lawyers doing this poo poo all over and finally the DOJ is starting to investigate them.

It's super bad down in the Rio Grande Valley (South East Texas). I believe that the Texas Rangers have active investigations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Here's part of a very cool indictment detailing the wonderful "association for justice" types defense lawyers deal with around here.

I like the specificity regarding tractor trailers.

SlothBear fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 10, 2019