Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

I love Pelevin, but Gogol is much funnier. Of the contemporary authors, Sorokin is pretty much hit and miss, but his The Blizzard is a very funny parody of classic Russian lit. That guy really hates Turgenev and it shows in the book.
Another good and very funny book by Sorokin is Blue Salo aka Blue Blubber, a satire aimed at the Russian national mythos and Orthodoxy. There is a Russian Orthodox sect dedicated to loving the holy Russian ground, future Russia has fallen under complete Chinese cultural domination so dialogues are conducted in a sort of nadsat, but it’s Russian with Chinese loan words, writers such as Akhmatova are cloned and resurrected and their new, bizarre yet stylistically true, works are pasted into the narrative. Khruschev’s and Stalin’s clones gently caress. poo poo, now I gotta reread that

e:Daniil Kharms is funny, brilliant and not very well known in the West. His short stories are few because, siege of Leningrad, but well worth tracking down.

Oh sure, Kharms beats them all, I guess the battle is for the second place then.

Dovlatov and Yerofeyev should be in the contest too. Haven't read Sorokin yet for some reason, although he's been on my radar for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Burning Rain posted:

is Gogol, Krzhizhanovsky or Pelevin the funniest Russian author?

gogol has some extremely good bits but id go krzizhanovsky for lols and also making me think, about the lols

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

the actual answer is venedikt erofeev tho

chumskull
Jun 14, 2019

ulvir posted:

thomas bernhard

Yes in particular is maybe the funniest joke I've ever heard

chumskull
Jun 14, 2019

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

No, I wouldn't call Solaris a comic novel. But The Futurological Congress, The Star Diaries, Fables for Robots, The Cyberiad? Sure. Not everything Beckett or Calvino wrote was hilarious, either. Hell, Swift wrote more sermons than anything else.

memoirs found in a bathtub is the funniest lem

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

My favorite story in The Star Diaries is the one where Tichy goes to a planet where people have modified their bodies so that pleasure and pain have become indistinguishable and people masturbate by entering automated torture chambers

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

mdemone posted:

I can understand the fear of missing out, though. It can make you feel inadequate (even though there's no reason to worry about being lit-inferior to James Fartin' Joyce).

Pynchon trained me out of that need to understand each reference and connection. If you go into GR trying to do that, for example, well....good luck.

Pretty much exactly this. If I feel like I'm missing something essential, then I don't mind googling some stuff for extra context and making some notes about it. Depending on the book, I'll make a list of characters somewhere, or use one of the blank pages in the front or back of the book to make notes, write important page numbers down, etc.

Sometimes a book is just intentionally obtuse for a reason. I was reading Morrison's Beloved, and there was a chapter where the events are rushed and muddled. I kept re-reading it trying to understand what was going on, before I said gently caress it and moved on. Turns out the subsequent chapters then retold the same events from different perspectives, filling in the weird gaps I didn't understand. Hell, even the beginning of that book is intentionally alienating, with a bunch of references to names and places that aren't really explained until you have half a book's worth of context.

Pynchon's fun for that reason. You're in over your head just like the characters. Clarity isn't always important to enjoying the story. It helps, I guess.

Shibawanko posted:

My favorite story in The Star Diaries is the one where Tichy goes to a planet where people have modified their bodies so that pleasure and pain have become indistinguishable and people masturbate by entering automated torture chambers

Oh poo poo, Lem wrote about this thread?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

chumskull posted:

Yes in particular is maybe the funniest joke I've ever heard

old masters has some of the funniest rants(about austrian toilets, art historians) and there's a punchline at the end!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Revolting that people spent all afternoon posting about funny Russian authors and never once mentioned Ilf and Petrov. The Twelve Chairs needs to be a BOTM.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 4, 2019

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
A funny Russian book is Vladimir Voinovich's The Life and Extraordinary Adventures of Private Ivan Chonkin.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Revolting that people spent all afternoon posting about funny Russian authors and never once mentioned Ilf and Petrov. The Twelve Chairs needs to be a BOTM.

One of the russian girls in work was telling me to read that when I mentioned I wanted to read Roadside Picnic

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Franchescanado posted:

Oh poo poo, Lem wrote about this thread?

Quit Being a loving Child and Become a Cenobite

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

WatermelonGun posted:

i forgot about the lonely londoners that book is really good, five past (i think that was his name) was a great character.

Yeah, the scene at the end when they're partying was the scene I was specifically thinking of as far as funny, and that's five past's best scene

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Shibawanko posted:

just read books because you enjoy the words.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Nice text.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

imagine "enjoying" anything lol

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I think it's funny how Borges ends little character stories with a throwaway line like "by the way, he died three years later from rear end cancer" or something to that effect

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Sham bam bamina! posted:

A funny Russian book is Vladimir Voinovich's The Life and Extraordinary Adventures of Private Ivan Chonkin.

It is! I learned a lot from it, like why horses never became humans and how to make manure vodka.

And I should reread Twelve Chairs. I think I read it when I was like 12 and don't remember poo poo.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Shibawanko posted:

I think it's funny how Borges ends little character stories with a throwaway line like "by the way, he died three years later from rear end cancer" or something to that effect

It's a good way to tie up loose ends

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Krankenstyle posted:

It's a good way to tie up loose ends

Editor: We have a little problem...
Borges: ...
Editor: Our mutual friend, he knows too much.
Borges: We understand each other.
Editor: This can never come back to us.
Borges: I'll make it look like lung congestion.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Haha I guess I made someone mad

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

It's not even red. Low effort.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The Idiot was funny in that nothing really changes. Putting your dick in crazy is the same in 1869 as it is in 2019. Is it really worth it?

800 pages of nope.

Dostoyevsky must have really been burned at some point in his life.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Philthy posted:

The Idiot was funny in that nothing really changes. Putting your dick in crazy is the same in 1869 as it is in 2019. Is it really worth it?

800 pages of nope.

I was gonna say how putting an axe in somebody hasn't changed much, either, but that's the wrong book.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Philthy posted:

800 pages of nope.

source ur quotes, can't tell if this is from reddit or goodreads

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Tree Goat posted:

source ur quotes, can't tell if this is from reddit or goodreads

SOMETHINGAWFUL.COM

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
that being said, i finished flights (bought it at the airport and read it on the plane, even) and i liked it a great deal but it upset me that i had been to like, 2/3rds of the medical museums she was talking about

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

I haven’t read Borges in a few years but the way he did that in “Funes, The Memorious” was stunning. You have this incredible universal phenomenon, this boy who gains super-perception, that will never occur again, and he is ended in the most mundane way possible. The contrast between those two things was so haunting to me when I first read it.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
brace yourselves for this one this borges fellow... he’s good

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I want to learn to read Spanish for Bioy Casares' Borges which is a massive tome of diary entries concerning his friendship with Borges.

Also, I ordered a Leonardo Sciascia, two Nanni Balestrini and two Malaparte as gifts to myself.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Boatswain posted:

I want to learn to read Spanish for Bioy Casares' Borges which is a massive tome of diary entries concerning his friendship with Borges.

Also, I ordered a Leonardo Sciascia, two Nanni Balestrini and two Malaparte as gifts to myself.

This reminds me, I’ve had Balestrini’s The Unseen on my shelf unread for years, I should probably read it. Which titles did you order?

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Have any of you nerds read Remainder by Thomas McCarthy and want to give a take?

Basically, guy gets infinite money and tries to bring his memories into reality by hiring actors. This escalates right up to the end.

I read it a few years ago and can't stop thinking about it. Prose-wise, it's pretty clinical, but that detached, unfeeling perspective works so well to reveal all the obsession.

Edit: Here's the New York Times review

ThePopeOfFun fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 11, 2019

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
is there a 'quit being a loving child and watch some real cinema' thread anywhere in these forums?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

derp posted:

is there a 'quit being a loving child and watch some real cinema' thread anywhere in these forums?

Yeah, we call it CineD.

We have a Criterion thread, which is probably the closest you'll get. CineD has a much higher ratio of good poo poo vs genre poo poo, so a specific thread has never really been necessary, like TBB's need for a lit thread to keep out genre fic/sci-fi/fantasy nerds.

You can DM me if you have an idea for a thread, though, or see something missing from CineD.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 11, 2019

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

all movies are for babies

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
quit being a loving child and play some real video games

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

chernobyl kinsman posted: