Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Tip posted:

Anyone else experiencing a lot of showstopping bugs in Boneworks?

I just hopped in it to check it out really quick, and got stuck in a neverending loading screen when it tried to load the museum. Then, when I got to the area with the barbell and the big colorful blocks I tried to climb one of the blocks and the game dropped back to the empty SteamVR environment, and then kept glitching back to the game frozen in place and half transparent.

I'm enjoying it when it works, but I seemingly can't go more than ten minutes without it breaking.

Better wait for some stability patches then cause this game has the brilliant feature of not letting you save

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

HolyKrap posted:

Better wait for some stability patches then cause this game has the brilliant feature of not letting you save

Do they expect you to finish the 6 hour campaign all in one go?

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
No issues here - in fact I was pleasantly surprised as I've been having a little trouble recently with the Oculus Link just bombing out and wanting a reboot occasionally. I have recently updated my graphics drivers though, that might have helped.

And yeah, saving checkpoints would have been nice. Though since they seem to preserve the world state when you die I wonder if they'll need to do something about that. If nothing else I'd like a 'reset puzzle room' button, unless it actually exists and I've missed it.

edit: it's not all in one go, but there are six main levels and it doesn't seem to save your progress within them so when you hit continue it just starts the last level you were on again.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Boneworks on the Quest is fun when I'm not getting 5 fps. Think my 1060 is overheating because hoo boy

Senator Drinksalot posted:

You can jump to scenes but yes it's very stupid. Don't know what the gently caress they were thinking.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Senator Drinksalot posted:

It saves only after you complete a level, so if you don't have the time to finish a level in one sitting then you will lose your progress if you quit

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

I'm having a lot of fun with Boneworks, even if I did manage to hurt my hand smashing a nullbody's head in with a brick :downs:

One thing I did notice is in the first level there's actually a shortcut you can unlock back to the start of the level about 1/3 of the way in so hopefully the rest of the levels are similar. If you die you go back to the start of the level, but everything you killed stays dead at least. You keep anything in your holsters but drop whatever you were carrying.

I saw a secret in the Playroom area: there's a box up in an alcove right as you enter the area, but I never did manage to get to it. Was anyone else successful in jumping on to the big cushions on the trampoline and making your way across the lights? I gave up since the jank of jumping onto another physics object was too great. Did manage to unlock the fantasy zone right afterwards by climbing up the grey pads above the door with the stacks of metal crates, turning around and shooting the Boneworks box to get a key.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Boneworks seems pretty cool, I'm not big on the IK and physics body stuff because its getting in the way a lot so far. Kinda frustrating to lose track of your hands because your IK elbows got stuck on the corner of a table, or dribbling a basketball (which you can totally do and feels great) but it bounces off your virtual knee.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

homeless snail posted:

or dribbling a basketball (which you can totally do and feels great) but it bounces off your virtual knee.

As if your goony rear end wouldn't gently caress up the dribble IRL

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Dribbling is the one thing I'm good at

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Catpain Slack posted:

If it's just plastic rubbing against plastic, you could try some silicone lubricant spray. I keep a can at hand for squeaky controllers.

There's a rubber pad underneath the trigger that dampens the sound when it is pressed. It's a tiny piece with an even smaller dab of glue. That gets dislodged and rubs against the plastic, causing the squeak. In most cases, it eventually falls out of place and either makes it so the trigger is stuck in a specific position, requiring warranty support, or falls into a crack and trigger presses are significantly louder, but not squeaky. I wish it was just a tight plastic fit because silicone lube would definitely be the way to go. At this point, it's a ticking time bomb and I'm just going to return the entire unit to the store.

Stick100 posted:

Why don't you just hit record on your phone and click the trigger and send them a video?

If a $400 device is having issues in under ten hours and it's still in the return period, I'd absolutely swap it out at a store before paying to ship the controller and waiting 3-4 weeks for a replacement, not including the delay due to holiday shipping. It was more that this problem has existed, apparently, with both generations of controllers and refusal to even start an RMA without audio/video evidence does not jive with my customer support expectations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Hope you weren't expecting to get a Valve Index soon:

:eyepop:

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I can't even order the base stations, it just says Sold Out

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

I'm pretty sure, with knuckles being out of stock, that people have started buying the full kit and parting them out on eBay. People in countries where it isn't sold who have tons of money have no problem paying $1,600 or whatever for a kit.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Just played 3 hours of Boneworks and now I'm extremely motion sick but I blame this on tiredness and I really did give the game and myself a sound thrashing. It's a lot like H3VR and Blade and Sorcery in that you kind of have to learn its "movement language" for want of a better term. For example, it wasn't obvious to me that you can't grab guns from your belt unless you completely clench your fist - for most people I imagine they have their index fingers relaxed on the Rift controllers so bare that in mind. When you do learn how to interact with the world smoothly then it's a real fun time because everything is so reactive. Combat feels really nice and you can push and shove your foes naturally. I did a bunch of bizarre things to see how well the game would respond and honestly I have to admit I'm really impressed by the fidelity of it all.

It does feel jank but I can forgive it for the crazy amounts of reactivity. I've recorded my time playing so I'll make a quick supercut when I'm feeling a little less green.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Bloodplay it again posted:

I'm pretty sure, with knuckles being out of stock, that people have started buying the full kit and parting them out on eBay. People in countries where it isn't sold who have tons of money have no problem paying $1,600 or whatever for a kit.

Holy poo poo people are buying the controllers for $500+ on average there. :psyduck:

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Not sure if mentioned here many pages ago or not but it seems that the Valve Index lenses are extremely easy to scratch and very vulnerable to sunlight. Might want to order some plano lenses to fit on top of them and use something like Zeiss wipes instead of the microfiber cloth that comes with the unit.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Isn't that the case with any VR headset? They're plastic lenses and there's almost assuredly a warning on the package somewhere that says to avoid direct sunlight.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Holy poo poo people are buying the controllers for $500+ on average there. :psyduck:

Yeah. There are several accounts that are selling controllers in one listing and the headset with one base station in another. I was considering buying an Index but I don't see these shortages ending anytime soon. How would Steam support even work in that situation? The hardware order is tied to an account.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

8-bit Miniboss posted:

That's how much you gotta pay to get them in Australia in AUD, so you get no sympathy from me! :shepspends:

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Hope you weren't expecting to get a Valve Index soon:

:eyepop:

This meets my expectations.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

homeless snail posted:

Boneworks seems pretty cool, I'm not big on the IK and physics body stuff because its getting in the way a lot so far. Kinda frustrating to lose track of your hands because your IK elbows got stuck on the corner of a table, or dribbling a basketball (which you can totally do and feels great) but it bounces off your virtual knee.

h3vr is the most immersive for me since there is no lovely body model to take me out of it. As soon as I see a polygon hand or full body, like zero caliber, my brain just can't stop noticing it. Hopefully there is a mod to remove the body model eventually, but I'm still going to get boneworks when I get home.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Boneworks has been the most fun I've had in VR, ever and I'm glad I sold my vive to a friend as an excuse to get the Index because if the Valve team has worked with SL0 as much as they said they did in the 30 minute sit down then I can't wait.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah Boneworks mostly lives up to the hype for me. I was expecting something a bit rough around the edges and it is, but in terms of content and VR gameplay it delivers.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

As a weird rear end VR Half Life 2/Jurassic Park Trespasser it is extremely good, I'm liking it a lot. Some of the interactions are pretty janky but there's nothing out there right now that is as ambitious in terms of the kind of poo poo you can get up to. Jumping off a stack of crates at a ledge and hooking it with the edge of a sledgehammer, pulling yourself up on the handle, and then flopping your IK arms over and pushing up almost feels like fake video game level of interactivity, when it works. Half the time my legs just bounce off the side of the thing and I fall down, or my hands clip inside stuff and the physics go crazy. Gripping stuff on the Index is real good also, it's The game for the knuckles

All the jumping and jittery rear end climbing physics have made me way sicker than I've gotten in VR in a long time though, so it's a little hosed up the levels are as big as they are and don't have mid level saves

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Having fun with Boneworks but also feel it totally validates Valve's decision to stay with floating hands. The physics driven player stuff just isn't ready for prime time yet. Fun but jank as all gently caress and makes me motion sick after an hour or so. I can only just barely clear a single level before needing to lay down for 20 minutes. This coming from someone who has 500 hours in VR and can regularly burn 6 hours in Pavlov without issue.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

homeless snail posted:

All the jumping and jittery rear end climbing physics have made me way sicker than I've gotten in VR in a long time though, so it's a little hosed up the levels are as big as they are and don't have mid level saves

Yeah, the climbing is really bad. I have not figured out a way to climb that doesn't involve my view just randomly wobbling everywhere constantly. They need to fix it, it is vomitastic.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
As promised:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No4Wb4Sonfs

I've yet to get to actual gunfighting but the slomo feels real cool.

Also yes I know I'm a gigantic loving monster and those little guys don't deserve a tenth of what I do to them but look, I just, I had to find out, okay? I had to.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I made it all the way to the breakroom (the one 30 seconds into the game) after 90 minutes because I couldn't stop loving with stuff and climbing around on things, then I got sick.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
I’m the only person who likes the climbing in boneworks. I don’t understand. It works like you think it should unless your ik hand flips backwards and it don’t grab. 🤷🏻‍♀️

The sick thing, I personally didn’t feel the climbing was worse than the running but holy poo poo some of the things that go zip fast. Grab a jack, walk backwards, zoooooom holy poo poo.

In general the game made me a little oof after a couple hours but I’m not sure if it’s lack of playing games with smooth loco in the last months or the game itself. Either way I can do like 2ish hours before I have to break.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

I don't mind the climbing but I cannot for the life of me figure out the pulling yourself up mechanics.

Edit:

Songbearer posted:

As promised:

Also yes I know I'm a gigantic loving monster and those little guys don't deserve a tenth of what I do to them but look, I just, I had to find out, okay? I had to.

The wiggly fingers as you chase the little ball creature :allears:

Drizvolta fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 11, 2019

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Drizvolta posted:

I don't mind the climbing but I cannot for the life of me figure out the pulling yourself up mechanics.

Edit:

The wiggly fingers as you chase the little ball creature :allears:

Crouch while pulling yourself up. Your feet need to make it up, then like, push forward on the thing to "walk" forward while crouching.

IRL crouch, or right joystick, w/e works.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Drizvolta posted:

Maybe the virtual crouching mode helps with that, but I turned it off cause it seemed dumb and nauseating. But you really have to push up enough that your ik legs get over the edge, I usually end up touching the floor IRL before it decides to kick in. Hitting the jump button can give you a little boost but it's also just as likely to make you fall

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
You need to hit the jump button as well, but not to jump, if you hold it you can see your legs tuck under you a little more than if you just crouch in real life

Also the climbing feels barfy because of how not one to one it is, your hand irl doesn't line up with what your hand is doing in the game almost at all so you bob and bounce around constantly. Other stuff that keeps it 1:1 feels totally fine.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The biggest stuff for me actually is the acceleration on the movement and highly variable move speed + the crouch windup when you hit the jump button. That's stuff that you really aren't supposed to do in VR. The climbing hits me too but its not nearly as bad when the physics aren't loving everything up.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Songbearer posted:

As promised:

Why, what do you do in the vide-

Oh :suspense:.

I was figured sticking two in the trash can was it for them, but then you came back with the cinderblock and I could only stare. You monster. :stonklol:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Overall I think Boneworks is a good game but I just loving hate the atmosphere. I feel lovely and tense the entire time.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Lemming posted:

Overall I think Boneworks is a good game but I just loving hate the atmosphere. I feel lovely and tense the entire time.

This instantly sells me on the game.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Im looking for some chill VR experiences thar I can show my parents. I have a VIVE. Any suggestions?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

EbolaIvory posted:

The sick thing, I personally didn’t feel the climbing was worse than the running but holy poo poo some of the things that go zip fast. Grab a jack, walk backwards, zoooooom holy poo poo.

In general the game made me a little oof after a couple hours but I’m not sure if it’s lack of playing games with smooth loco in the last months or the game itself.

treat posted:

I made it all the way to the breakroom (the one 30 seconds into the game) after 90 minutes because I couldn't stop loving with stuff and climbing around on things, then I got sick.

Tip posted:

Yeah, the climbing is really bad. I have not figured out a way to climb that doesn't involve my view just randomly wobbling everywhere constantly. They need to fix it, it is vomitastic.

homeless snail posted:

Songbearer posted:

Just played 3 hours of Boneworks and now I'm extremely motion sick but I blame this on tiredness and I really did give the game and myself a sound thrashing.

Calipark posted:

I can only just barely clear a single level before needing to lay down for 20 minutes. This coming from someone who has 500 hours in VR and can regularly burn 6 hours in Pavlov without issue.

:psyduck:

Uhh, not the most promising impressions for a new VR player. Also a bit worrying because lots of people were hyping this game outside normal VR circles, it will give the impression getting sick in VR is normal.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Dec 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

:psyduck:

Uhh, not the most promising impressions a new VR player. Also a bit worrying because lots of people were hyping this game outside normal VR circles, it will give the impression getting sick in VR is normal.

I played two hours and didn't get or feel sick at all.