Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Has Kindaichi done any detective work? So far he's been observing the situation and listening to testimony.

Huh, that's true. He seems to be happy to leave that to the police and just hear their reports--he has a much more cooperative/trusting relationship with the police than, say, Christie's Poirot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuppaGodot
Sep 25, 2007
Destiny is bitter today

ivantod posted:

Huh, that's true. He seems to be happy to leave that to the police and just hear their reports--he has a much more cooperative/trusting relationship with the police than, say, Christie's Poirot.

I’m not sure about that, especially since Poirot was a policeman when he was younger and often wrote Japp or other local authorities for information they’d be able to retrieve. Maybe specific police, but as a rule I never got the same contention that some fictional detectives have.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

CuppaGodot posted:

I’m not sure about that, especially since Poirot was a policeman when he was younger and often wrote Japp or other local authorities for information they’d be able to retrieve. Maybe specific police, but as a rule I never got the same contention that some fictional detectives have.

To be honest, maybe my memory is playing tricks with me, but at least from the TV show, I recall there being a definite level of antagonism betwen Poirot and Japp. It's been too long since I've read any of the books, so it might be that it's less pronounced there.

I should learn to not make such generalised statements without checking properly! :v:

CuppaGodot
Sep 25, 2007
Destiny is bitter today
The Suchet show often put Japp where he wasn’t present at all, amongst other changes for the sake of either just changing things or surprising the audience not sure which. There was one incident I can recall off the top of my head where he didn’t cooperate with police but for good reason.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

After all the revelations from Matsuko, in the last episode, we spent most of the time figuring out what everybody was doing at the time of the murder. In the end, however, the loud priest came in a dropped another bombshell that came out of his examination of documents from that old chest--namely, that Tamayo is actually a real granddaughter of Inugami. To tell the truth, it's pretty much what we all expected to happen at some point or other, so...

In any case, after a long day, Kindaichi is finally back in his hotel for a short breather.

Ah, thanks. I will read it in a moment.
Then, I'll leave it here.

Well, right off the bat, we have a newspaper to read, why not! (Actually there's going to be another one later in this update!)

Newspaper Obtained: The Bright Sun (27th November 1949)
"Suketomo is strangled"

Again, not like we're busy, so there's always time for these. I believe that, apart from the two newspapers in this update, there is only two more left before the end of the game. Anyway, let's see what we have in this one.

(Click on the picture to see it bigger.)

First of all, as most of the time, a short recap of the game's events.

"Suketomo is strangled"

The second victim in the Inugami family.

Around noon, on the 26th, Inugami Suketomo was found dead in the former Inugami residence in Toyohata village. Suketomo was found tied to a chair in one of the bedrooms of the house where the Inugami family used to live.

The cause of death is seen to be suffocation as a result of neck strangulation with a rope. Suketomo's neck was wrapped with a harp string, which was added after the murder, and which the Nasu police is considering to be some kind of a message from the killer.

On the scene of the crime, footprints belonging to a man in military clothes have been discovered and the police is searching for this person.

Right, so definitely nothing here that we didn't already know. Let's see if there's going to be anything interesting in the articles from daily life...

"Skepticism about the school system reform"

Due to chaotic situation in schools, the criticsms mount.

The new 6-3-3-4 style school system has beguin in earnest this year, but the criticsm continues to mount from various directions.

In some newly co-ed high schools, the number of male and female students is extemely imbalanced, and the number of students who are dropping out is increasing.

Although the new school system was introduced to improve the education and resolve the defficiencies in many students' reading, writing and arithimetic abilities, many are worried about its future, due to the chaos it is currently causing.

Ok, so, for those who don't know, the 6-3-3-4 school system means: six years of elementary school, three years of middle school, three years of high school and four years of a higher learning institution, such as a university. This was introduced (read: forced) in Japan by the allied occupying forces after the war (including other reforms, such as the introduction of co-ed schools), and as you can read in the article there were definitely some teething problems! Among some of the issues was the mess caused by "mapping" the studends from the old system (6-5-3-3) into the new and exactly where everyone was supposed to fit in the new system!

"Changes afoot in the agricultural community"

Practical items instead of luxury products.

Acording to the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries data the economy of farmers has become more difficult due to an improved food situation and recently there has been a strong trend towards saving instead of buying luxury goods.

In the past, there was abundant purchases of luxury products such as liquor or tobacco in the rural areas, but recently the farmers have often been turning to spending on practical goods like cotton due to the ongoing recession.

This is one of the few articles which is so non-specific that I really don't have a whole lot to say, except to note that in addition to a school system reform, Japan was also going through a land ownership reform in this same time period, also under the guidance of allied GHQ.

Well then, let's go back to our story, where Kindaichi has a visitor!

It's already been almost two months since I came to Nasu, that's how long it's been since Wakabayashi-san, who invited me here, passed away.
Three people have been killed, one after another, during this time... and yet the case seems no closer to a resolution.

Can we make it to four people killed in this update? Keep reading and find out!

When solving this case it's important to also completely take into account all events that lead up to the murders, and not just focus on the murders themselves.
You're right. Let's go over it quickly...
First of all, currently there have been three murders.

Next, there was the murdered Suketake-kun, among the chrysanthemum dolls.
And finally, we have the murder of Suketomo-kun, which is still quite mysterious.

Well, that all depends on whether you catch the murderer(s) or not, doesn't it now?

Eh? What do you mean by that?

You're right, we shouldn't look for more victims... but it may not be our choice. We still don't have any kind of definitive evidence and it looks like we may be running out of time.
I... I suppose you're right...

Don't even mention him! That guy is nothing but a voyeur who only looks after his own self-interest. He talks about writing a biography, but in reality he only wants to satisfy his own perverted voyeuristic tendencies.
That's true, but still he's the kind of guy who will expose anybody's secret.
Hm...

Or, to put it another way:

And we're not talking just about the bodies, but also people's reputations and everything.

Thus ends yet another scene where Kindaichi and Furudate sit around and complain to each other about making no progress.

And so, what with one thing or another, three weeks passed.

13 DECEMBER 1949

This particular morning starts with the hotel maid barging into Kindaichi's room!

The newspaper? Oh, right, I'll get it.

Clearly, there's something important going on as she's all flustered. But really that shouldn't stop us from sitting down to read the paper first, right?

Newspaper Obtained: The Nasu Times (13th December 1949)
"Tamayo-san is Sahei's granddaughter"

This is a bit weird, because why would they be reporting about this three weeks after the fact? Oh well, it is what it is.

In this one, there is only one extra article, so let's see.

"Tamayo-san is Sahei's granddaughter"

Sahei's secret is brough to light.

The testimony that Nonomiya Tamayo is the granddaughter or Inugami Sahei has come to light from a person involved with the family.

According to Ooyama-san, the priest of Nasu shrine, who has a long standing association with the Inugami family, Sahei had an affair with Nonomiya Haruyo, the wife of his benefactor Daini; their daugther, Noriko-san is the mother of Tamayo-san. Furthermore, Daini consented to all of this.

Based on the contects of a love letter, Sahei and Haruyo were struggling with this strange relationship. The letter describes the deep feelings of Sahei, who was not in a position to be able to acknowledge Haruyo-san and Noriko-san as his wife and daughter, respectively.

Sahei is said to have had a cold relationship with his three mistresses and their daughters, because of his fear of having his love for Haruyo and Noriko fade out; he is believe to have given favour to his granddaugher Tamayo-san instead, for this reason.

Incidentally, Ooyama-san has mentioned that this and other facts he intends to publish in a real biography of Inugami Sahei.

This one was actually a bit more interesting that a typical recap article as it actually mentions stuff that wasn't said in the conversations, in addition to reinforcing the idea about Ooyama being, as expected, a total creep and an opportunist.

All right, let's see, one more article for today.

"The dangers of illegal liquor"

The police calls for caution.

The police have decided to increase the crackdown in illegally brewed black market liquor, saying that some of the "bomb" shochu is made from diluted methyl alcohol, which is toxic to the human body.

The police have cautioned to never drink methyl alcohol as it can cause blindness and death from poisoning.

Again, not much to add here, but I'll mention that shochu is a Japanese drink similar to Korean soju, and "bomb" (bakudan in Japanese) here refers to a mixture of liquor (in this case shochu) and a lower alcohol content drink, such as beer. I guess it's a bit like what you would call a chaser.

Go where? To the police station? Or...?

Could it be... that the last brother, Sukekiyo, has also been "taken care of" by our murderer?

Well, nothing else to do, but to go there and find out! We find ourselves back on that terrace that overlooks the lake.

But who is it?
We're not completely sure yet. You can see it from over there, on the lake, just below the terrace. You can see what happened.
On the lake...?

Oops. I can see why they don't know yet who it is!

A-a-ah, but that is...
We haven't taken the body out yet, so that's why we're not sure who...
Although it's not confirmed yet, I have a hunch...
The entire family is gathered on the lake coast. The only person missing is... Sukekiyo-kun.

Unsurprising, I guess. Although also a little disappointing that the killer managed to get all three in the end.

Ta-Tachibana-san... b-but, how did this corpse...
Why is it here like that? I am also at a loss, Kindaichi-san. Why did the culprit go to so much trouble to put Sukekiyo-kun here like that, upside down. Damnation, but it really gives me the creeps!
So I guess it probably is Sukekiyo-kun, then?
Yeah, it seems so. According to Matsuko-san, those pyjamas look like those that belong to Sukekiyo-kun. And he is the only one missing at the moment.

Well, she is the head of the family, in a way, so she can't be seen crying and screaming like her younger sisters.

The end of that person's revenge?
Yes, that's all she said. After that she was quiet, so I think there is much more going in her mind than she is showing.

Hm.

I see...
When Suketake-kun was murdered, he was not present during the fingerprint verification and didn't have an alibi. Even with Suketomo-kun in the old house, there is no real evidence to support his testimony. This time, it also happened during the night, so there is not much of an alibi. It's starting to look a bit fishy for him...

The cause of death?
Well, I mean, there's no way he was pushed in like this upside down while he was still alive, right? So, I guess, if you get the corpse out, you might find that his head was split with a blow by an axe, or something like that? Well, at least I think so.

Right. So I was looking around the area, but I don't see any blood here on the terrace, nor anything on the surface of the lake.
Yes, I also find that to be quite strange... Also, if the murderer had used an axe, I wonder where they would have got it from?
Because there should be no more axes or any other similar weapons around the house.
Really, not one?
That's right. Since Matsuko-san's confession that time, she's ordered all such things removed from the house.

But suddenly, Chief Tachibana turns to somebody off-screen and shouts...

Oh, I guess they are taking the corpse out of the lake then. Let's have a look then!

Welp. That does look like a severely injured face, and we only know one person who looks like that!

That face... after all, it really is Sukekiyo-kun... It seems that in the end we have not been able to stop the murderer.

In the meantime, here is Dr. Kusuda whom we can talk to about the corpse and the cause of death and all that interesting stuff!

Well, it's definitely not fun, that's for sure.
By the way, I'm sorry, but I'll have to trouble you once again...

All right, Kindaichi-san, I'll go down now and have a look at it.

Ah, no worries, it's just a part of my job. Anyway, the chief and I go a long way back, so...
But, hey, Kindaichi-san, the killer has now killed all three sons of the three sisters... do you think it means that this horrible revenge plot might be over?

But, there is another visitor. For a crime scene, this place sure gets a lot of traffic right now!

No, but...

What is it? Is there something on your mind?
Well, not exactly, but...
I understand, Tamayo-san.
Huh?
When you see a strange corpse like this, it's natural that you want to know as much as possible immediately... but there is really not much to say at the moment.
Y-yes, but...

O.M.G. Just let her speak!

Hm?
(What's with her expression now? Am I just imagining it, or does it seem like she knows something? Has she grasped something that I have been missing so far?)

(Tamayo-san definitely knows something! Something that I have overlooked...)

Would you be able to take the fingreprint impresson from the right hand of that corpse?

But haven't we already collected and examined Sukekiyo-kun's handprint? And it was found to be in agreement with that on the scroll from the shrine?

I hope it's not too much trouble for you to do this...
Ah, no, it's no trouble at all, it takes hardly any time to do. I will make sure to do it before I start with the autopsy.
Then, I will go now.

Dr. Kusuda leaves.

And she leaves, as well. On a side note, unless she knows all of this because she is the culprit somehow, perhaps she should have been the detective here?

In a revolving door of people coming and going here, next one is Furudate-san.

Takeko-san? To me? But why?
Well, I don't know that much... but it seems it's about something that was found at the old house.
What was found?
I don't know. You should go and talk to the person in question to get all the details. She should be over on the veranda.
(I wonder what this is all about...)

Well, we're not going to find out unless we go there, so...

Furudate-san gave me a message that you wanted to...

To me? What about?

Oh hey, we were just looking for a missing button! Note again the chrysanthemum design, also.

That button...
Yes, this is the button from the shirt that Suketomo was wearing, that we spoke about a few days before.
It does seem like it...
(A diamond is set on a golden base in the shape of a chrysanthemum. It looks expensive, but what is that dark smudge on it... a blood stain?)

It's the same as those on his shirt, so it has to be his, no?
Oh no, I meant, could it be for example a spare button or something?
Oh... I'm not sure about that...

Then Umeko appears and joins our conversation. We seem to have a lot of people coming and going this time around?

Is this perhaps a spare button? You know like a replacement if you lose one by accident?

I see... Thank you very much.
(So it's definitely Suketomo-kun's button, then... Hmm...)

Oh, Umeko-san, Takeko-san...
Yes?
Would you mind if I kept this button for a little while? I want to ask Chief Tachibana to check it out a bit.
No, of course not.
Of course you can keep it, that's why I brought it to you.
Thank you very much.
(I should probably go back and see what's going on with Sukekiyo-kun's corpse. Perhaps they've discovered some new evidence...)

We'll do that, but I am actually wondering how exactly did they find this button and where? Well, perhaps we'll find out.

(Is this small button really the only clue we're going to get? All three of Sahei's grandsons have been killed, but not a single thing has been resolved. What kind of case is this anyway...)

Naturally, I expected that in this murder somehow, there will be an axe involved... but it seems the culrpit did it the other way around...
The other way around?

I see... Are you sure that this is definitely Sukekiyo-kun's body?
Yes, it cannot be anybody but Inugami Sukekiyo, I mean, you have seen his face, haven't you?
For one, it's totally disfigured.
Yeah... I guess you're right.
In addition, the clothes and personal items found on the body also belong to Sukekiyo-kun.
I see.
The criminal must have lured Sukekiyo-kun out, strangled him and then dropped him down from this terrace. At least for now, that seems to be the conclusion.
Hm...
The criminal lost the patience, and so they didn't want to spendi time on figuring out how involve an axe, so they just left the body like that. Do you not think that's what happened?

Yes, it's just a coincidence when corpse was dropped in to the lake, because it's starting to ice over. That's all. In fact, it's good that the head was hidden, so that his face is not exposed to the public.

Huh? What do you mean?

He was killed with a string. So where is the axe?

Unfortunately, the game wants us, the player, to answer that question! And the answer is "Inugami Sukekiyo", because this time it's just a virtual axe, materialised only through some (a bit strained) wordplay!

I don't understand you at all. Isn't it just that simply not all murders are always executed exactly to the plan?

The explanation will involve some shenanigans with the Japanese text; rather that explaining in the text, I'll put the translation next to the screenshot so you can follow nicely (of course I will have to still explain it at the end, but...)

The name "Sukekiyo" is itself the axe.
What are you talking about, Kindaichi-san?
Just look, Tachibana-san...

We have, to select a keyword again here, so we'll go with "the other way around". Kindaichi will now explain.

You need to look at it the other way around.
The other way around?
Wait a second, I will write it for you!

Here is "SUKEKIYO".
Now, let's put it upside down.

Sure, you've turned it upside down. So what?

You need to look at it in relation to the body itself...

And again, we have to answer a prompt here. This time, the answer is "the hidden head". I swear it will be clear in just a moment!

The hidden... head?
Please look here again.

Kindaichi-san! Y-you don't mean...
That's right, Tachibana-san. It's like a children's riddle.
The criminal tried to imply the existence of an axe with the victim's body itself.

All right, how does this work. After we've turned the paper upside down and removed the (now) bottom half, we are left with "YOKI" being written. And as you may remember from a few times that it's been mention, YOKI is one of the words that can mean AXE in Japanese. So there's our axe. It may sound like a stretch (and even the characters will be slightly skeptical of it), but this scene is definitely taken directly from the book, without any changes at all, so it's not been invented by the game's authors or anything like that. In any case, we'll see if it leads anywere or not!

B-but why would the culprit go to so much trouble for something like that? That's... foolish.

THE END OF CHAPTER SEVEN

Ok then, the happenings are really starting to accelerate, aren't they! It seems we may have lost the third brother now, too (although let's not forget the comments from Tamayo), so hopefully we may get a bit of a breather for a moment now--let me just check what's coming next...

Next time on "The Inugami Family": Introducing Aonuma Kikuno

Oh.

Guess that's that plan down the drain then.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Well, I did wonder how we'd get a creative kill with an axe. I can say that is very creative and I could've never seen it coming.

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

Annoyed that they turned it upside down rather than just writing it in reverse order, which would actually make the letters make sense.

Also good lord these time skips. What was happening in those three weeks?? Was Kindaichi just sitting around???

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Akumu posted:

Also good lord these time skips. What was happening in those three weeks?? Was Kindaichi just sitting around???

Yeah, they're weird, and they really could have been just a couple of days and it wouldn't have made a difference at all. But I can tell you that this is another thing which is directly from the book "as is"--the book makes a point of using specific dates for all the major events, and they are the same ones you see here in the game, so... :shrug:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Somehow this death managed to get spoiled to me by a Figma release of Sukekiyo, of all things.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
So the game's in mid-december now, when did this start? Summertime?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Akumu posted:

He was grinding up his Social Links to ensure he has the power to solve the mystery

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Ibblebibble posted:

Somehow this death managed to get spoiled to me by a Figma release of Sukekiyo, of all things.
This is amazing! There is actually a posable figure of Sukekiyo, I had no idea! And not only do you get the actual figure when you buy it, but it even includes a pair of posable legs sticking upwards, exactly as a reenactment of this particular scene:

I'm definitely not going to be buying this since it costs like $100 (not just the legs, but the whole set), but I can at least file it under the TIL category.

tomanton posted:

So the game's in mid-december now, when did this start? Summertime?
No, Kindaichi arrived around mid-October or so, so it's been about two months so far. Of course, the actual death of Sahei was several months before that, during the spring.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

SSNeoman posted:

He was grinding up his Social Links to ensure he has the power to solve the mystery

: Kindaichi! Take this pistol, we need to go kill god!
: What.
: Use the power of all your friends, like that detective guy! And the lawyer, I guess! Also maybe the Butler? I don't know.
: So, we doing this or what.
: I believe in you, Detective!
: Use our trust as your strength!
: And my Axe!
: WHAT.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

ivantod posted:

This is amazing! There is actually a posable figure of Sukekiyo, I had no idea! And not only do you get the actual figure when you buy it, but it even includes a pair of posable legs sticking upwards, exactly as a reenactment of this particular scene:

I'm definitely not going to be buying this since it costs like $100 (not just the legs, but the whole set), but I can at least file it under the TIL category.

Yeah, I was just browsing the online storefront because I wanted to pre-order another figurine, and saw Sukekiyo up for preorder and decided to have a look. Whoops.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
Previously on The Inugami Family, the dead body of Sukekiyo, the last brother, was discovered in the lake, albeit in a slightly unusual pose. The main question is, now that all three brothers are apparently dead, what should we do.

Well, the answer is, as I hinted last time, we'll just have a nice relaxing chat with Aonuma Kikuno. I mean, what else, right?

So, let's get going with the eighth chapter! Note that this episode is a bit longer than usual since there was not a good stopping point.

Chapter Eight: "An unfortunate mother and son"

THE SAME DAY, AROUND 9 P.M.

Kindaichi's expression is just the same as the weather... miserable.

It's already half past nine... We should be getting the autopsy results soon, I expect.
I'm not going back to the office today, I'll just give them a call to come here.

Those deep thoughts are interrupted by the arrival of the Inugami family maid. Neither she, nor our friend from the hotel are ever given a name.

Results? No, I don't know anything about that...
I see. Then, what is it?

To see me? What kind of person?

Interesting. Could it possibly be somebody whom we have already met under a different name? I can already see there's going to be some reshuffling on our relationship chart!

Y-you! Show her in i-immediately!
Certainly.

Could it really be her?
I think it must be real. There is nothing really to be gained by a third party pretending to be her.
I suppose that's true.

And then...

Excuse me, I've brought your guest.
Please excuse me for disturbing you so late. My name is Aonuma Kikuno.

So the game is going to delay the big reveal for just a few more moments...

You are Aonuma Kikuno?
Yes. I apologise for not having come forward sooner.

Well, there you go. In case you were wondering why that harp teacher keeps hanging around with not really a big reason to be in the story, now you know. In fact, most of this episode will consist of one long conversation with Kikuno (although there is still room for a couple more bombshells at the end, so make sure you don't leave early!).

I don't believe this... you are Aonuma Kikuno!

Feel free to stop being so amazed at any point and start asking questions.

I was reading today's evening edition paper in Tokyo and learned about the Sukekiyo-sama's situation. I decided that I could not hold back any longer, so I came here as quickly as I could.
I see, I see. Then, please come in and take a seat.

And you said that you've read about this in the evening edition?
That's right. Here is the newspaper.

Newspaper Obtained: The Bright Sun (13th December 1949, Evening Edition)
"Mysterious death of Sukekiyo in the lake"

Well, if this is not one of the more awkward newspaper moments in the game, I don't know what is! But nevertheless, the rule is that if we receive a newspaper, it must be read immediately! So let's get to it quickly and then we'll talk to Kikuno.

Today we again only have two articles, so let's get to it, because, let's face it, we all want to hear what Kikuno has to say!

"Mysterious death of Sukekiyo in the lake"

A third victim in the Inugami family

On the morning of the 13th, the dead body of Sukekiyo was discovered by the Inugami family gardener and reported to the Nasu police station. Sukekiyo was found in the frozen lake, sticking upside down, as if doing a handstand.

There are traces of strangulation on his neck, and the cause of death seems to be suffocation due to it.

The Nasu police station is treating it as a crime committed by the same offender as the murder of Suketake on the 16th of the last month and also the killing of Suketomo on the 26th. The station continues to investigate a war veteran going under the name of Yamada, who has been seen around the area and is hurrying to identify any persons who might hold a grudge against the family.

After this incident, all three grandchildren who had a claim on the inheritance have now been murdered, in just two months after the reading of Sahei's will in October.

That's a nice and concise summary of recent events. Let's see the second article from contemporary life.

"Further increase in the number of births"

The statistics released by the Ministry of Health and Welfare

According to the demographics statistics for 1948, released by the Ministry of Health and Welfare, the number of births in the last year was around 2.68 million, exceeding the 2.5 million reached in 1947.

The Ministry is expecting that the number of births this year will again exceed 2.6 million, and according to a published report, the number of marriages seems to continue to increase rapidly.

Like many other countries, Japan too experienced a population boom after the end of the war and these figures mentioned in the article are real. Unfortunately, a few years later, the number of births went into a decline, and apart from a brief spike in early 1970s, it's continued to decrease, with the rate of decrease increasing especially in recent years. In 2018, the number of births in Japan was only around 960,000, which means that at present, Japan is losing around half a million people each year, due to a low birth rate. Incidentally, the Ministry of Health and Welfare is the predecessor of today's Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, which we already had a chance to be introduced to in the Batista game.

Anyway, now that we're done with this, let's finally get to the part we all came here for today!

...I suppose it was possible for you to arrive here by this time.
(What Tachibana-san is saying... it seems that is suspicious regarding her story about having come down from Tokyo. But if you read the evening edition in Tokyo, it's not impossible... but it also establishes an alibi in a roundabout way. This is what we need to be careful of.)
(Well, I suppose we should talk to her and find out what his whole business about living under a false name is all about...)

As soon as we arrived I called the police station and asked for the Chief, but they told me he was here. Again, I'm sorry for this intrusion so late at night.
(Hm... If there is another person present, then maybe this whole idea of a constructed alibi is wrong...)
You are Aonuma Kikuno... I guess it's true what they say, that it's the hardest to see the things that are right in front of you.

Otherwise, it probably would have been possible to investigate further.

And here, with our first keyword, we get into the meat of things. I've already mentioned a little bit before, but this is the first time you really have to be careful in the dialogue. There will be a total of 11 keywords (!) to talk about (although usually not more than two at one time), and rather than the game stopping and letting you choose (like it does most of the time), in this case, they are all timed: meaning that you have certain intervals of time during the dialogue where you can interrupt and choose another topic. If you don't do it in time, the dialogue may move on and you have lost one chance to ask a question. In some cases, the game will actually give you a hint that you should ask something else "now" before the dialogue moves on, but not always. So the bottom line is that unless you do it exactly right, you simply won't be able to ask all questions. Luckily for all of us here, I was able to do it, so we should be able to see all of it.

...and also the relatives in Toyama with whom I had stayed. But they are also dead.

It's time to use our first keyword! So let's see about "hiding the true lineage".

I didn't amend the family register, didn't get married, didn't have children, and I am not very social anyway, so...
I see. That's why Furudate-san's investigation was not able to track you down.
So then, you have actually retained your Aonuma family name?
Yes I have. Therefore it's actually wrong to refer to me with the family name Miyakawa.

...and before I even realised, I had started introducing myself with the name Miyakawa.
Did you learn to play the harp from your husband?
Yes, although I was already interested in it from before.
(It might be a good idea to try and find out from her as much as possible...)

So this is what I meant when I said that the game will sometimes give you a hint when it's the right time to ask the next question. Let's do it then, let's find out about the husband.

When I was living in Toyama, he was visiting there and we became intimate.
So you ended up getting married?

At that time, his wife was still alive. Three years later, after his wife had passed away, he asked me to marry him... but I declined.
You declined?
Yes, I was worried that if I update the family register that somebody from my hometown will eventually find me.

You might remember the story from a couple of episodes ago about her relatives, the Tsuda family in Toyama, who took care of Shizuma, but were eventually killed in an air raid. So let's get onto that topic immediately and use the keyword we just got!

The Tsuda family were your relatives who had lived in Toyama?
Yes.
After you left him there, did you ever see Shizuma-kun again?

Yes, sometimes. Probably about every three years or so.
Then, Shizuma-kun knew that you were his real mother?
No. At least not when he was a child. I didn't change the family register, and for all practical purposes he became like a child of the Tsudas. It seems that the thought of me more like a kind aunt.

Reminder: in Japan, when kids refer to somebody as "aunt" it doesn't imply a blood relation.

It looks like he heard about it from someone when he was in high school...

I never talked much about that with the Tsudas. Of course, they probably had at least some idea of my circumstances.

As you already know, he was called into the army 2-3 times. Every time, I went to see him in Toyama, but in the spring of 1944, when the last call came, I somehow had a feeling that I may not see him again.

And then he asked me about his father, and I told him.
Hm.
I see. That makes sense.

Although we didn't get any hints here really, we will bring up our next keyword, the one we just got.

So, I want to ask you a bit more about this...
Yes, what is it?
What I want to know is, you have seen the face-mask of Sukekiyo-kun, which was made in a way to resemble his true face?

I'm actually going to jump in here and explain a bit... as it will turn out shortly, she is not actually completely blind, but just has a very poor eyesight. This was not made very clear in the game, so I'm just mentioning it here. I guess it's what we would today call "legally blind".

I have, but what do you mean?

As you know, my eyesight is very poor... At first, I couldn't understand it, as it seemed to me like another Shizuma.

Huh, so it was like that.
So they were really similar?

The area around the eyes was a bit different, and also the shape of the nose. But even so, it was clear that they were of the same blood. Sukekiyo-sama is the grandson of his ancestor and Shizuma is his forgotten memento. Even though they're both around the same age, they are a nephew and an uncle. So they both look like their ancestor.

No, no, I didn't know it. As Kikuno-san had said, they are both of similar age and closely related, so I just thought there might be some resemblance. I was also surprised to hear that they are quite so similar looking.

(As his mistress, this person was really made to suffer day in, day out.)

All right, that was interesting, but we need to move on to our next topic, which is that comment about Shizuma not returning from the war.

No, I don't know. If I knew that, I would...
But, it could be possible that Shizuma-kun is aware of where you live, right?
Yes.
Then, since the war has ended, you might end up getting some news of him?
That's true. So I keep waiting, all day, every day.
(Ever since she'd run away from here, this woman has spent most of her live in the shadows... The memories of that night planted in her a seed of fear that would never go away. After she was intimidated by the three sisters, she ended up having to hide her child even from herself... What a painful way to live.)
Ah, Kikuno-san, if I may pry a little bit... When you spoke with Shizuma-kun about his father, did you tell him the circumstances around how you left him?
Ah, yes, I basically had to as, If I hadn't, I don't think he would have believed me.

Yes. Well... I received such horrible treatment, that I wanted him to know all about it.
How did Shizuma-kun react to it at the time? Of course, he must have been resentful?
Oh, Shizuma was always quite a kind child, but he can be very emotional. Even at that time, he didn't say a single word, just the tears gathered in his eyes and he shook while crying.

(So that was the last time Kikuno-san saw Shizuma-kun. And then he left his home country to travel to a foreign land he never saw before. If he was not able to come home, it must have been terrible for him.)

However, Kikuno-san, how is it that after all that, you are again regularly coming to this house? Since when did you again start coming here, and how come?

Fate?

Let's bring that up immediately and continue the conversation thread. So, yeah, as you can see, the game does guide you a little bit, but you can still mess this up as it's not always 100% obvious.

Hm?
What exactly do you mean by this?
Well, Chief, not sure if you know about it, but... this was the year before last.
There was a harp teacher named Furuya Shou who was working in this area, but he suddenly fell seriously ill. He used to know Miyakawa while he was still alive, so when he fell ill, he needed to find someone to take over... and so, he asked me.
I see. So then, you accepted his request?
No... at first I declined.

So it was because of Matsuko-san.
This whole area, from Nasu to Ina, I just never wanted to set foot here again for as long as I live. Even more so when I heard from Shou-san that one of his pupils is actually Matsuko-sama, I... just couldnt calm down at all.
Well, I see.
Yes. That's all there is to it.

Our next topic is "the year before last". As you can see, this conversation goes on for quite some time--we still have a few things to discuss before the we are done!

Yes.

But also, you see what I look like now.
Hm.
Nonetheless, thanks to the fact that I was doing the teaching here I was able to be a part of the funeral procession and to give an offer at the shrine.

(When you think about it, the relationship between Kikuno-san and Sahei was really quite short. Just as they came together, they were torn apart by the actions of the three daughters. And even during his last days, she was not able to meet him nor tell him her name.)
(If you consider that the only thing she could do at the end was give an offering on the occasion of his death, it's really quite miserable.)
So, as you can see, Chief Tachibana, Kindaichi-san...

There was no kind of an ulterior motive involved in my coming here.

Next, we'll ask about Kikuno having taken over the teaching duties.

...but, in the end, you accepted after all.

I thought about it at the time... It has been 30 years since, and as you can see, my name, face and my circumstances have changed completely.
So, perhaps, Matsuko-sama wouldn't even realise. That's how I thought, or rather, how I tried to convince myself. I would lie if I said that I didn't have some apprehsion at first when coming here, but I can say that I came with clear conscience.

(It's not a nice thing to say, but it is hard to equate her to the girl who managed to capture Sahei's love in such a way. Her face has changed, but so have her circumstances. Back in those days, she was just a worker in a silk mill... it would be difficult for Matsuko-san to imagine her today as a well known harp teacher from Tokyo. Can the person really change this much in 30 years? Something here makes me feel like it doesn't quite add up...)

Yeah, I guess...

This is kind of an interesting moment with Tachibana, because if you haven't done it right so far, then around this time, he'll instead say something along the lines of "well, I guess that's enough for now", and the conversation basically ends without you being able to talk about the remaining topics. However, we haven't messed up yet, so our next topic is: "the continued misfortune" of the Inugami family.

Kikuno-san, I would like to ask you about the continued misfortune, in particular as represented by this serial murder case.

At the time of Suketake-sama, I really didn't think anything of it. But the second time it happened, with Suketomo-sama, when I heard that there was a harp string...
Who did you hear about it from?
Ah, it must have been when I talked about it... Remember, when I came to tell Matsuko-san about the incident.
Yes, that's right. At that time, I was there playing the harp with Madam Matsuko...
Oh, I see. Sorry, please continue.

Right. That time when she supposedly injured her finger.

Right, right. So I want to ask you a few things about that.

Yes I do. But what of it?
No, I want to ask you about what happened after that. Matsuko-san was bleeding from her finger as I she were just injured by cutting herself on one of the strings. And when I asked her, she had confirmed that to be the case, I remember this well.
Did you have any doubts about what she had said?
Yes...
At that time, you mumbled something, didn't you?

And then, Matsuko-san, who heard what you said, suddenly changed into an extremely angry looking expression. It looked like hatred that was strong enough to kill.
Well...
Really? Kikuno-san, did you happen to notice her expression?
No... That is, I didn't really notice. You see, my eyesight is extremely poor.

But she could somehow notice properly before Sukekiyo's face? I don't know.

Well, maybe you didn't notice, then. But it was an expression that could make your blood freeze; it really made a lasting impression on me.
The question is, though, why did Matsuko-san get so angry in theat moment. Kikuno-san, do you not have anything in mind?
Why did Madam Matsuko get so angry... I also don't know.
I see...

(I see... Well, I should ask some more about this.)

The game is giving us a hint, and anyway we only have one keyword to use, so let's just bring this straight back up. Don't worry, we're almost done--there is just one more left after this.

Kikuno-san, let me just ask you this one thing... you say you thought it was strange?

Eh? But back at that time...
Yes, the wound might have been reopened by pulling on a string... however, the original injury did not happen at that time.

Really?

Let's finish this by talking about that!

(Suketomo's estimated time of death is on that same night, between 8 and 9... but, let's not mention this to her yet.)
But, how did Matsuko-san got injured? Can you tell me a bit more detail about that moment?
Yes, well... as I said, I also thought it was a bit strange at the time.

Yes, it was only for a very short time.
However, and I don't know exactly when it was, but one time when she left her seat and came back to resume playing the harp, I thought something was different.

So I can hear quite well any nuances in the sound of the instrument.
And so back at that time, I realised that Madam Matsuko must have injured her index finger. She was trying to hide it, but was clearly in pain while playing.
W-what!
D-d-did Matsuko-san... s-say anything about the injury?
No, not a single thing.
And you?
No, I didn't say anything either. For whatever reason, she was hiding it and I thought it best not to go there. So I made it like I didn't notice.
Right, right. So then, the next day... Matsuko-san said that the injury had happened right then. And you reacted to it before you were able to stop yourself?
Yes.

Well, I don't know, but...

I see. So the fact that the injury had happened on the previous night... it would appear that Matsuko-san didn't want anybody to know about it.

No problem, thank you very much.

Chief Tachibana, I think that's all from me for now.
I see, yes, me too.

And finally, we're done! It was quite a hard one to get the whole conversation without ending prematurely, but I guess we managed somehow! It took some effort, that's for sure--but at least with the emulator save states you can more easily play around until you get it right. Of course, it helps if you know what you're looking for, which I did, but I still had to figure out exactly where to interrupt (some are obvious, some less so, and it also helps that you never really have more than one or two keywords available). In any case, we've learned a fair bit of backstory here, and still there it the nagging question of that finger injury--but as they've already concluded, Matsuko spent the evening at home so couldn't have been at the murder site... it's all still rather foggy at the moment, including Kikuno's motives to come forward at this particular moment.

Well, before we finish for today, we do have just one more small thing to do. Because as a result of Chief Tachibana calling his office at the beginning of this episode, our resident forensics expert, Fujisaki, has arrived with the autopsy results!

Tamayo? I suppose he has some idea how to get her to finally tell us what she's been up to all this time?

I also need to talk to Nishimoto-kun, so you please go on and I'll hear the results from you later.

This seems a bit silly because he's been waiting to hear this just recently, but as we already know, this game's engine can only handle up to three characters on screen at one time, so if Fujisaki stays, then somebody has to leave in order to make space for Tamayo. Yeah.

...did you call that person because you want to announce it in front of her?
Yeah, I would really like you to say it with her present.

Seems Kindaichi is anticipating what's going to be said...

The results of the autopsy and the fingerprint analysis have come out. You should hear them too.
...Yes.

The murder weapon was likely some sort of thin string, and the time of death was between 10 and 11 last night. However, the body was submerged into the lake about one hour after death.

It's really quite strange...
You remember that a fingerprint was taken from Inugami Sukekiyo here... it was on the 16th of November. This turned out to be exactly the same as the one on the good luck scroll that Furudate-san had obtained.

B-b-but that's absurd! Isn't it Sukekiyo-kun who was murdered last night?
Well, this is the result of the fingerprint analysis...

There is no more reliable method of identification than fingerprints...

(She leaves.)

TO BE CONTINUED...

Yeah, I think we can definitely say that the pace of the story has picked up considerably in the last couple of chapters! But where will it all lead?

In any case, before we finish for today, we do need to again update our relationship chart, although this time it's only a "small" adjustment, namely putting Kikuno in her correct position:

(Click to embiggen!)

Well, see you next time when even more exciting things will happen!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

So Sukekiyo is still alive and we have no idea who the gently caress this new guy is?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm betting the dead guy is the Bastard Son Whose Name Slips My Mind Right Now Even Though I Just Read The Update.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ibblebibble posted:

I'm betting the dead guy is the Bastard Son Whose Name Slips My Mind Right Now Even Though I Just Read The Update.

Aonuma Shizuma. And I wonder, the fact that the fingerprints changed and Kikuno's testimony makes me think the exact opposite - the person we followed that we thought was Sukekiyo was, in fact, Shizuma, and he changed places with the actual Sukekiyo to murder him. That way, he got to be close to his targets as well as his mother.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Aonuma Shizuma. And I wonder, the fact that the fingerprints changed and Kikuno's testimony makes me think the exact opposite - the person we followed that we thought was Sukekiyo was, in fact, Shizuma, and he changed places with the actual Sukekiyo to murder him. That way, he got to be close to his targets as well as his mother.

I've suspected that there was an identity swap between Sukekiyo and Shizuma for a while. Though I'm not sure whether the two were colluding and had a falling out, or if Shizuma was impersonating Sukekiyo for the sake of his revenge plot, but the real one was trying to stop him.

Or Sukekiyo is the mastermind, and Shizuma is just a convenient patsy to blame the murders on.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
It is, I suppose, at this point customary to declare that the game is afoot. Things have certainly gotten very interesting. My assumption originally is that there is only one murderer; I wonder if that is truly the case. The family seems messed up enough that there could be multiple killers.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I sure hope it is because honestly Kindaichi has made pretty lackluster progress so far. Like the killer has mostly accomplished the murder of the three sons and we're only now figuring out their potential motive.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
So initially Tamayo was the one who first got that one guy thinking about the handprint scroll, which caused it to be used, which got people convinced that the masked man was Sukekiyo. So she's been doing some things, albeit indirectly, since near the start. She clearly has some kind of motive and goal but I can't for the life of me think what either of them are. We haven't really gotten to know her much as a person,so it's difficult to say. I mean, one might assume she doesn't want to be pressured into marriage with people I guess but I still don't know whether that's enough to murder over, or to pull the puppet strings in the investigation or... yeah.

Oh also, Suke-got-strangled-in-a-chair, there was some evidence that perhaps his body had been moved right? Or otherwise tampered with after he had been found the first time? I wonder if perhaps between the time Tamayo was rescued and people were sent to find him, he was moved from the abandoned lake house to the main mansion, and over the course of her harp lesson Matsuko, during her occasional breaks outside the room, gradually strangled the guy and that's how she cut her finger?

God I'm terrible at mysteries, I have no idea what's going on.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

David Corbett posted:

It is, I suppose, at this point customary to declare that the game is afoot. Things have certainly gotten very interesting. My assumption originally is that there is only one murderer; I wonder if that is truly the case. The family seems messed up enough that there could be multiple killers.

I really think it's multiple killers settling multiple grudges all under the "well this will throw off suspicion" inheritance event

e: as to who's done what, though, I have no clue

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 17, 2019

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
Last time, at the start of chapter eight, we finally got the chance to talk to Aonuma Kikuno, who, it turns out, has been living all this time under the name Miyakawa and working as a harp teacher!

We begin this part on the following day, with Kindaichi having a bit of think in his hotel room!

14 DECEMBER 1949

(Tamayo san, as expected, didn't want to answer that question. Nevertheless, the dark clouds that were engulfing my mind are finally beginning to clear. Various building blocks are starting to connect one by one, and a strong structure is formed; a mistery that formerly seemed impenetrable is starting to reveal itself in its clarity.)

Anybody feeling poetic today? Well, however it is, the game follows the book very closely--much more so than the film adaptation which I've been posting the stills from, which, despite its length of around 2.5h, still cuts out and simplifies various parts of the plot, including there the whole entire scene we'll be seeing in today's episode. The close following of the book is so close that even most of the dialogue in the game is simply taken straight from there without any changes, like for example the above ruminations!

(Ironically, as a result of serial killings, the picture of the murderer has become clearer, and as pieces of truth fall into place one by one, it is turning out that there is only one person who can be the culprit. All we need to do now is find Sukekiyo-kun and put him at the center of the whole logical construction. Then everything will be completed.)

Well, those are some rather interesting words. Also, it kind of seemed that it was more Tamayo who is at the center of the whole plot, but perhaps not? We'll see.

Either way, it's time to get out and about, because police has been doing stuff!

(Perhaps they have located Sukekiyo-kun?)

So I guess we're going with the assumption that the dead body in the lake was not Sukekiyo... but if that's the case, then, considering that we are not expecting a late game rear end-pull, there are many other options who the person in the lake might be!

All right, I'll go straight away!

Yes, let's see what it is. Hopefully they've found Sukekiyo?

T-then, what d-did he do?

An aborted attempt... at what?

He managed to run away... but at this point it's just a matter of time.
(An aborted attempt? What the hell happened there?)
(I thought they would have already caught him, but if he ran away again... then we are now racing against time, and if we don't hurry...)

Yeah, but who's been sitting on his behind for months here?

Anyway, let's find out what that "aborted attempt" was all about.

Again? This whole business about attempts on Tamayo's life is still quite fishy to me.

It seems that it happened around 11 P.M. last night. Looks like that Sukekiyo had hid himself in the wardrobe closet in Tamayo's bedroom.
Are you absolutely sure that you didn't make any kind of mistake here?

No, if there is a mistake, it's the one he had made by coming there.
All right then, let's head out.
Where are we going? Did you find out where he ran away to?

You should come with us.

I'll just mention that "Yukigamine" (雪ヶ峰) means "Snowy Peak", although here it is used as a place name, so I've left it untranslated for that reason.

But, Tachibana-san... are you so sure that Sukekiyo-kun is going to let you catch him alive?
We are going to corner him there, so I'm sure he'll be plenty scared. So in order to find the truth, we'll have to apprehend him very quickly.

First of all, in case you've forgotten, Kindaichi is wearing a more traditional style kimono, hence the question about being appropriately dressed. More importantly, Tohoku is the northernmost part of Japan's largest island ("tohoku" literally means "northeast"), and is certainly a part of Japan you'd go to if you wanted to go skiing in the mountains, so this makes sense.

If it's about the skis, we can get you a pair. So then, you'll join us?
I see over there Furudate-san is already arriving with the car...

All right, let's go for a drive up the mountain!

I find it interesting that the steering wheel in the car is on the wrong side here, but since we saw earlier that the car was a Mercedes Benz (albeit one from the wrong decade), I suppose we can assume that it's a car imported from continetal Europe or something which by default would have the steering wheel on the left side of the car instead of right. I almost feel that in another detecive story something like this could be used as a plot point!

So, Sukekiyo-kun actually made a failed attempt at murder... It's hard for me to picture that he would try to kill Tamayo-san.
But it's true. She told us herself last night. She answered all our questions and it all checks out.
Last night, she came back to her room, turned off the lights, and went to bed. However, because of all that's been happening, she was too nervous and couldn't fall asleep. Eventually, she started to get a weird feeling about the closet, like there was somebody breathing inside. So she turned the lights back on, put on her slippers, went to the closet and opened the door.
!!!
Immediately after that, a man who was concealing his face with a scarf jumped out at her and pushed her down on her bed.

He started squeezing his hands around her throat, so much so that she almost lost consciousness.
But that Saruzou fellow noticed that something was going on, and broke down through the locked door. Taking any kind of opponent is not really an issue for such a giant.
But it seems that during the scuffle, the scarf was pulled off by Saruzou.

Seeing the face that appeared before him, Saruzou was stunned for a moment, while Tamayo started to yell faintly. Anyhow, it turned out to be Sukekiyo, whom they had thought for dead. Finally, it looks like at that point, taking advantage of the confusion, Sukekiyo jumped out into the snow and ran away.
So, as you can see, Sukekiyo has appeared. Also, his face... it seems to be uninjured.
I see. So then, what did Tamayo-san do?
She was in a terrble state, with bruises on her neck, crying in hysterics...
You say that Tamayo-san was crying?

Yeah, I'm with you, Kindaichi. That doesn't sound at all like her. Not even a little bit. Like I said, everything about these attacks on her is very very strange.

Of course she was crying! She was almost killed. No matter how tough she makes out to be, when push comes to shove, she's still a fragile woman.

Oh, give me a break. At least the story also presents this conclusion as something that is not actually true.

So then, how is Matsuko-san doing?
Ah, she's the same as always... not saying much at all. You know, I really don't like that woman--talking to her is a real pain.
I really wonder why Sukekiyo-kun would do something like this...
No idea... It's such a senseless risk to take at this time.
(It's not a senseless risk to him... he wouldn't do it otherwise.)
Well, we'll figure it out when we catch him. Anyway, we're almost there... Further up from here there are no roads and no houses. There is no place to hide or run away to on this snowy mountain, he's practically in the bag already.
All right, we're here. Let's get out. Furudate-san, what about you?
I think I'll just stay here, if that's ok. Kindaichi-san, are you going to be all right?
Oh, yes, don't worry about me. I might look just a little bit unusual though...

He's talking about the fact that he'll be skiing in a kimono!

But, we have arrived, so let's see what it looks like up on the mountain...

Kindaichi-san, you look... ahahahaha...
Don't laugh, please. Instead, take note of my skill!

No, you must make sure not to kill him!
Well, of course, we would also prefer for all of this to end up peacefully, but if he starts resisting...
! ! !
No, don't kill him! If you do, then all of this will have been for naught!
What's with you, Kindaichi-san? Why are you so agitated?

A voice is shouting from off screen...

Chief!

Then, let's better hurry! Tachibana-san, let's go!

A few moments later, we finally meet the person in question...

What are you doing, Kindaichi-san! You're putting yourself in danger!

And now, we have entered another timed dialogue situation! Obviously, the goal is for the police not to kill Sukekiyo, but in order to achieve that, we'll have to use a keyword at some point before it's too late! It can be quite nerve wracking with the indicator on the bottom screen slowly changing its colour from blue to orange and the hearbeat display getting more and more frantic! In any case, if you don't stop the police, then you get a somewhat interesting bad end, but in order to not interrupt the flow of the action, I'll show you that at the end.

Please wait, you don't want to shoot him!
Well, we may not have a choice if he keeps going like this... he may become dangerous!

Chief Tachibana! Please stop this! I can persuade him!
He's not going to listen to you!

B-but...
I don't know what you're trying to do, but you need to stop this foolishness right now! Do you not think that he has killed enough people already?
That Sukekiyo-kun is the killer, you do not have any proof!
This is absurd...!
What, are you scared?
(If I don't stop this... if I don't do anything... it will be the end of this case...)

Despite this comment from Kindaichi, we can actually keep going still for a little bit more before it's too late!

Come on! Shoot!

If you kill him, he'll take the key to this case with him!

And here is the point of no return. If you don't do anything now, you've lost. As mentioned, we'll cover that at the end, but for now, let's stop this nonsense! We need to say that "he's not the criminal".

That's right! Sukekiyo-kun is not the criminal! Tell the officers to stand down!
This is not the moment to be discussing things at length!
Chief Tachibana, I will explain everything later! But for now, please stop this before it's too late! Otherwise we have no chance of solving this case!
B-but...
Tachibana-san!

No! Stop him!

There is a sound of a gunshot...

Well, somebody has a good aim! They managed to shoot the gun out of his hand!

Quickly, restrain him!

Why did you have to get in the way...

Kindaichi-san, would you mind to explain what you meant when you said that this man is not the criminal?

...if you don't mind getting Furudate-san over here. I would like him to positively identify this man.
All right. Please wait here.

No, no, I'm fine, don't worry.
Then, Furudate-san, what do you think? Do you recognise this person?

Is he the criminal who caused all the incidents?
No. As I said to Chief Tachibana, this person is not the culprit.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Well, for a game which mostly consists of people standing around and talking, this was surprisingly action packed! And despite the fact that's all done with static screenshots, you could say it was even somewhat cinematic! Interestingly enough, even though this is straight from the book, no part of this whole sequence actually appears in the film version at all, which I do find a bit surprising.

In any case now that we've found Sukekiyo (?), or at least someone who might be him, a whole lot of new avenues open up for our investigation! But that's for next time, for now, let's have a look at what happens if you DON'T stop the police from killing him. We'll go from the point where you miss the last chance to stop them...

*BANG*

You did a stupid thing... Why did you rush like that to kill him? Why did you make such a blunder!
I killed them... That woman... I was going to kill her too...
Then you could have already killed her with your gun and ran away. You could have gone to the train station, or stolen a car or any number of other ways...
If you escaped to this snowy mountain, you must have expected to be found. There was no way to hide here.
He's gone...
Kindaichi-san, what shall we do?
Nothing. There is nothing to do any more. By not being able to solve this case, I really feel quite keenly my own inadequacy and incompetence.
No, this is not your fault.

(Inugami Sukekiyo, the suspect in serial murders of the Inugami family, died after being shot by a police officer. Three days later, his mother Matsuko jumped into the lake and died herself. Subsequently, the Inugami legacy was inherited by Nonomiya Tamayo; however, she donated it all and disappeared in an unknown direction. And thus, the story of an inheritance that shook the whole of Nasu had ended.)

The Inugami Family: Unsolved

So, yeah, that's pretty grim. I know I haven't been showing too many of these bad endings so far, but don't worry, we'll actually have a chance to see a few more over the course of playing this game, because there is still one little gameplay related twist that I haven't mentioned yet!

Well, anyway, that's all for now. See you next time!

ivantod fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 22, 2019

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Okay, now we're getting somewhere. This guy's prob a diversion from the real culprit but he'll almost certainly have some information.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Did Tamayo do all this?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

it's looking like she's at least the mastermind

differentiating
Mar 30, 2019

I definitely get the impression that he knows who the murderer is and is insisting it's him to cover for that person. The question is, who would he want to cover for?

It seems like he and Tamayo may be more involved than we were lead to believe, but I'm not sure what she'd have to gain from killing the Sukes and (likely) Shizuma, much less revealing the whole swap in the end. Marrying Sukekiyo and getting the inheritance that way would have been much simpler. I had gotten the impression that she wasn't involved in the murders, but perhaps I'm giving her too much of the benefit of the doubt.

His mother is another person who comes to mind, especially since she's so hell-bent on her son getting the inheritance, and perhaps he's enough of a mommy's boy to cover for her if she's the one involved. But it's still unclear how she could have killed the second Suke, since her hidden finger injury still doesn't poke a hole in her alibi for that murder. I am curious as to whether that'll come back into play or be a red herring, however.

Presumably he'd helped out the impostor, but he's dead, so it makes no sense to try and cover for him now. If it was Shizuma, he certainly had a motive for the murders given his mother's recent confession... but then, who killed him?

Is there anyone else he might take the fall for? At this point, it's hard to know, especially since it's unclear how much we know the real Sukekiyo. Maybe we'll get a revelation that he's close to someone else at the last minute, and they'll be the culprit.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

differentiating posted:

It seems like he and Tamayo may be more involved than we were lead to believe, but I'm not sure what she'd have to gain from killing the Sukes and (likely) Shizuma, much less revealing the whole swap in the end. Marrying Sukekiyo and getting the inheritance that way would have been much simpler. I had gotten the impression that she wasn't involved in the murders, but perhaps I'm giving her too much of the benefit of the doubt.

If she views Sukekiyo as a tool who is willing to die for her, I think it makes sense. Use him to commit the murders, maybe even take part herself, and have him take the fall. Revealing the swap so they know he's still alive and staging things with him after convincing him to suicide by cop means the only other person who knows about it aside from her won't ever potentially reveal what happened. You could argue that if he's that loyal that she shouldn't have to worry about him spilling the details, but she might just be coldhearted enough to be unwilling to take the chance no matter how slight.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
You know how in all old mystery novels, typically at the end the detective gathers everybody in the room and explains the facts of the case? Well, you better believe that this book also ends like that! So a lot of things should soon start to become clearer, and in particular exactly what was Tamayo's role in this whole situation (since she is kind of "an involved person" about whose involvement we've really found the least about so far),

In fact, we're more or less at that point in the game right now where Kindaichi will start explaining things! There is one more update left in this chapter and then pretty much the entire ninth (last) chapter will be devoted to that. Of course, even though it's the last chapter, it's not exactly the end of the game, but more on that when we get to it... :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

ivantod posted:

Kindaichi will start explaining things!

this part can't come fast enough, Kindaichi, can't come fast enough :v:

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

In the last action filled episode, we managed to catch Sukekiyo on the mountain! It's not exactly clear what is his role in all of this, since he is claiming to be solely responsible for all the murders, but that seems a bit improbable. He also seems to have tried to genuinely kill Tamayo, before heading off to the mountain. Either way, it's the next day now, and it's time to go into that familiar trope of old detective novels: with everybody gathered in the room (well, obviously, we're a few people short compared to the first gathering at the beginning of the case, but...), the detective starts to slowly explain the case!

15 DECEMBER 1949

It's quite uncomfortable sitting here on my own in this kind of tense atmosphere...
Perhaps I should read the newspaper for a bit while I wait for him to show up.

You know the rule! If there is a newspaper it must be read! Also, this is the last newspaper in this game--there is one more chapter left after this one, but there are no newspapers in it.

Newspaper Obtained: The Bright Sun (15th December 1949)
"Inugami Sukekiyo Arrested"

Again, there are only two articles, so let's read them!

"Inugami Sukekiyo Arrested"

The identity of the murderous veteran soldier discovered

Around noon on the 14th, Inugami Sukekiyo was arrested at Yukigamine as a suspect in the serial murder case. According to the announcement of the Nasu police, around midnight on the 13th, the suspect had breached Nonomiya Tamayo-san's roon in the Inugami residence and tried to strangle Tamayo-san who was resting in the room.

The family's gardener had noticed something strange and came to Tamayo-san's aid upon which the suspect ran away.

The Nasu police reacted immediately by creating a search cordon and as soon as the next day, the 14th, managed to restrain the suspect for the serial murders who had tried to escape to Yukigamine mountains. He fired at the police multiple times from his gun that he had hidden, and then the police stopped his attempt at suicide. Fortunately, none of the police officer have suffered injuries.

Sukekiyo admits to the crimes, but nothing is known yet about the motive for killing or the identity of the person who was found dead in the lake.

Ok, so that's pretty standard as always, so let's see what else we have here.

"Caution about new year's fires"

The black market in Ueno appears to be recovering after a fire broke out and damaged it on the 9th. Although Tokyo Fire Department is making efforts to improve its fire-fighting capabilities, such as making 119 the dedicated phone number for fire reporting, and introducing the fire trucks with pumps, it can be said that the facilities are still insufficient.

In the year when the Horyuu temple main hall was burned down in January, followed by the Tsutsuimon gate at the Matsuyama castle as a result of an arson in July, and the tower in Matsumae castle in September, this was a year where severe damage was done to important cultural assets. The Fire and Disaster Management Agency is actively cooperating with the rest of the government to make a plan to improve the fire-fighting capabilities and equipment.

I haven't been able to find out what fire they are talking about that happened in Ueno at this time, but the rest are all real events that happened in 1949--the fire at Horyuu temple we already had a more detailed article near the beginning of the game, as we've learned then, it was caused by a forgotten electric heater.

By Jyo81 (ja: User) - Own work, CC BY 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=13873128

As for the Matsuyama castle (part of which is seen above), the Tsutsuimon gate was destroyed in an arson in 1949 (after the whole castle complex was already severaly damaged in allied bombing in 1945, and previously by another large fire in 1933, and another in 1784 which was caused by a lightning strike), but was rebuilt between 1966-1969, when the whole complex was restored.

Another castle complex, Matsumae (partially seen above), has had its main tower (tenshu) destroyed by fire in 1949, but it was also rebuilt in 1960.

Finally, regarding the phone number 119, of course it's still in use in Japan today (and also in some other countries in the region, such as China and South Korea).

Anyway, that's that for our last newspaper... just one small thing to mention, and then we can move on!

Although I haven't really been mentioning them, I have been solving all the crossword puzzles/calculations in the newspapers, and now, for solving all of them, we get a reward! But the reward is simply the opening of an option in the menu that just leads to... many more crossword/calculation puzzles, so... yay? I don't think you get anything for solving those, though--but I'll check it out, just in case.

Anyway, let's get back to the story, because I'm sure we all want to find out who is REALLY the killer! Looks like Tachibana has also arrived!

Kindaichi-san, sorry to keep you waiting!

I tried to be nice to them, but in the end it had to threaten them... how much more clear can I be that I we don't yet have the proof!
Sorry for your hardship.
But I understand, for a reporter, how they would be interested when in a case that was going on all the way from 18th October, it seems like the culprit has finally been caught...
They are insisting that they have the right to know who is the serial murderer who shook Nasu...
If you count from Wakabayashi-san's murder, there are four victims.

Reminder: the 18th of October was the day when Kindaichi arrived in Nasu and when the first victim, Wakabayashi, was killed.

Yes... it was quite a big case.
Right... big and complicated.
Oh, by the way, I told them that I'll announce it to them as soon as we have the proof. Is that okay?
Yeah, that's fine. Anyway, there is not enough evidence to charge Sukekiyo-kun as it is.

Speaking of which, where is Sukekiyo-kun?
Nishimoto-kun will be bringing him over shortly.

...the true criminal is definitely somebody else.
Hmm, I see. I guess I still can't grasp the full picture of this incident. Then, I'll let you take the lead on this one.

While we wait for Sukekiyo to be brought in, why not have a look around the room? Here is Matsuko, nonchalantly smoking a cigarette, like nothing's happened at all.

(She must have heard that the real Sukekiyo-kun was captured yesterday at Yukigamine.)
(If that's the case... but no, she would have known aleady that the person buried in the lake was not Sukekiyo, simply from the results of the fingerprint comparison.)
(Still, how can she be so calm in this situation? She seems to be completely unperturbed while facing the looks full of hate and suspicion from her sisters.)

(Sitting in front of those awful sisters, it's amazing that she is not doing much worse...)
(And then... Tamayo-san somehow seems tired, and not quite herself this morning. Is this because of Sukekiyo's attack?)

Well, that's quite enough ruminating, since Nishimoto is just about to bring a handcuffed Sukekiyo in!

Chief, sorry for the delay!
Ah, Kindaichi-san, here is finally Nishimoto-kun!

Nice touch: Sukekiyo has his right hand bandaged, becaus that's where the police shot him!

You, come over here! And don't waste your energy trying to resist or anything!

I guess we can start?

Although, we did find this written confession note on him.

A written confession? Let me have a look... do you mind if I announce it here to everybody?
No, go ahead.

All right, let's see. But I'm not expecting much, to be honest!

My Confession

The murderer in the serial murder case of the Inugami Family is me, Inugami Sukekiyo. No one else other than me is involved in this incident in any way. I am confessing this just before my suicide.

---Inugami Sukekiyo.

Well, that's pretty much what we've expected, and is, of coure, complete nonsense.

You said you found this on him?
Right, it was in his pocket. What about it?

Why put on that whole show with resisting the police and all?
What could that mean... maybe he didn't want to die in the end?
No, the problem is the purpose of the whole thing.

By doing so, the end result of the confession becomes buch stronger.
The end result?
Look, Tachibana-san. You've been observing his behaviour up close. Isn't there something that strikes you as strange?

It seems to be going from sly one moment, and before you know it it's again very careless and then alternately bizarre and cowardly. It's definitely full of strange things, you can make neither the head nor the tail of it. If you look at it, at the end, he didn't even really try seriously to evade the police. Very strange.
That's right, it's all very inconsistent. Remember that well, Tachibana-san.

How he's done everything and that there is nobody else involved and so on. He just keeps repeating that and says nothing else.
I see, I see. To be honest, that's mostly what I expected him to do anyway.

(...so he's keeping quiet in order to not expose some kind of a secret by accident. But now I have to prove that it would have been impossible for him to commit all of the murders.)

(I have to prove that Sukekiyo-kun is Yamada Sanpei. Because if that's true, it creates a timing issue which proves that he couldn't have committed all of the murders. I'm going to have to ask him some questions that lead in the right direction.)

Let's go over this step by step. There is at least one murder that you couldn't have committed.

Now is the time to ask questions. In this particular dialogue sequence you don't have to worry too much as the game will pause to ask you to choose the next keyword, i.e. you don't have to interrupt at the right moment. Although, you will still have a limited time to make the choice. So the flow of this dialogue can be a little odd at first since there are a couple of optional questions we can ask, so we'll get those out of the way first and then move on to the main part. As you might expect, Sukekiyo will continue to say not a whole lot, so this will be mostly Kindaichi talking to himself really!

From the last time, we have a keyword about "hiding in the closet", so let's start with that.

If you wanted to kill Tamayo-san, you could have done that as soon as she returned to her room. But you were hiding in the closet like you were waiting for something...
Or am I wrong?
......!

Let's follow this up with "waiting for something" immediately.

From the time she came back to her room, until she opened the closed, you were hiding in there, holding your breath.
At first I thought you may have been waiting for her to fall asleep, but when I thought more carefully about the sequence of events at that time, I realised something interesting.

Yeah, this particular bit about Saruzou returning to his room "just in time" to save Tamayo was also mentioned by Tachibana last time. In any case, not much more we can get out of him on this topic for now. So let's move on to something else and bring up the date "18th October" as we need to clear up a bit of a timeline inconsistency here.

First of all, the 18th of October. Do you know what happened on that day?
I will tell you in a moment, but first...

And we have to choose the next keyword again. This time we should choose "12th November", the day Yamada Sanpei apparently arrived in Hakata port on a repatriation ship from Burma.

Do you know what happened on that day?

And, again we have to make the next choice, but again it's obvious, we should bring up "repatriation via Hakata". We are done with this silliness, now we're going dig deeper into things, finally.

Listen carefully.
To summarise, you stayed overnight in Hakatam and then headed to Tokyo on the 13th, the following day. And on the evening of the 15th, you showed up at the inn here in Nasu.

So, in fact, the serial murderer is somebody else and you're trying to cover for them.

Speaking of which, we still don't know who the last murdered person is... well, we can make a pretty good guess (cough)Shizuma(cough), but it would be nice to know for sure, no?

The case of Wakabayashi-san has nothing to do with it.

I already told you I was the murderer from the start, didn't I?
Ah, no, I mean about this fake name that you used.

Obviously, the next step is to bring up "Yamada Sanpei".

I mean the name Yamada, Yamada Sanpei.
Ah, no...
Chief Tachibana. You heard what he said just a moment ago, yes?
Yes, yes.
He implicitly confirmed that he was Yamada Sanpei. It was Yamada Sanpei who was demobilised on the 12th of November and stayed here at the inn on the 15th. All this time I was explaining Yamada Sanpei's movements, but he just agreed to it as they were his!

For now, we'll say that you're not involved in the Wakabayashi case.

He was killed between 10 and 11 PM on the 12th of December. The corpse was put upside down in the lake approximately an hour after the killing.
Sukekiyo-kun, you were not here in Nasu at the time, were you?

Then, Tachibana-san, if you please.
Huh? Oh, right, the witnesses! Wait just a second!

Oh, hey, it's the station master! Long time no see!

On the evening of the 13th of December, when the down train from Shinjuku station in Tokyo arrived at Nasu around 9:05 PM, he was at the ticket gate checking the tickets of disembarking passengers.
Ueda-san. Do you recognise this person?

Are you sure? How can you be so sure?

It was snowing heavily that night, and his behaviour was a little odd... so I remember it well.
How did you confirm where he was arriving from?

He had a ticket from Shinjuku.

A completely unrelated factoid: with its 53 platforms (!), Shinjuku station is the busiest train station in the world with over 3.5 million people passing through it every day!

My name is Koguchi Ryuuta and I drive a pedicab in front of the station. So... uh, what can I do for you?

Yes, this is the guy who took Kindaichi down to the hotel.

Ah, Koguchi-san. Thank you for coming here. Actually, I just wanted to ask you if you know this person here?

Weirdly, there is actually an error in the game text at this point, because it says November instead of December in the above line of dialogue! But we're clearly talking (as will be obvious even more in the next few minutes) about the day when the impostor Sukekiyo was murdered, which was definitely 13th of December, not November! Not the best place to have this kind of error!

At that time, only a few passengers got off the train. I offered him a ride in my rickshaw, but he said nothing and turned away and walked off. I remember thinking where and why would you want to walk like that in such a heavy snow... it was a bit odd to me, so I remembered.
Did you see which way he went afterwards?
Well, I don't know exactly where he went, but he headed down towards the lake.
Thank you very much. The police will probably want to speak to you to confirm everything later, but for now that is all.

Tachibana-san, can you come over here for a moment?

It turned out that his hair didn't fit.
His hair?
Yes, it seems like he's had a haircut just a few days ago...
Hm? So you wanted to check out the barber shop in front of the station?
Not at all. Quite the opposite. It would not have been possible for him to have a haircut around here without getting recognised. And even if the owner of the shop doesn't know him, he could not rely that nobody who knows him won't come in.
So if he's had a haircut it must have been done somewhere else.
The reason for going to the station was to find out when did he come here, because I knew that this time he wouldn't have been able to hide his face completely.
Because, around here, everybody was looking for a man who is hiding his face with a scarf and a soldier's cap. Therefore, it was easier for him to avoid attracting attention by not hiding his face.
I see. So that's why he was seen by them.
Exactly. Anyway, next, let's talk to... teacher Miyakawa.

What is it?

Yes, that's right.
And this was after reading in the evening paper in Tokyo about Sukekiyo-kun's murder, and being surprised by that news?
Yes.

In ohter words, if teacher Miyakawa learned about the incident in the evening paper and rushed over here from Tokyo, then Sukekiyo, who arrived at Nasu on the same train, might have done the exact same thing.
Right, right.

If teacher Miyakawa did so, then Sukekiyo-kun also... might have read the newspaper in the same way, and learned about the same incident, and got on the same train.
Well, obviously, the reason for their surprise would not have been the same, but it's quite possible that their behaviour followed a similar pattern.

There is no confirmation that it really went like that. And that's why I'm not sure. What's the purpose behind all this? For what reason did Sukekiyo-kun come back to Nasu? In addition, it's not even clear what he intended to do while here.
If his idea was to kill Tamayo-san, then it seems like he took a rather roundabout way of doing it...

All right, now this should be interesting!

However, in order to strengthen the effect of his subsequent confession, he decided to make it look like he did.

Therefore, when I found him trying to kill me, I thought that it must be because he suspected me of being the criminal. And that painful thought made me sad and miserable...

Of course, you're not actually the murderer... but with this, you destroyed Tamayo-san's soul, just in order to protect the real killer.
Please don't cry, Tamayo-san.

If he'd wanted to kill you, all he needed was one shot. If he'd wanted to run and hide after killing you, that's one thing, but he was ready to commit suicide.
And so, why did he not use the gun?
As you know, Sukekiyo-kun had a confession letter in an envelope in his pocket. I'm sure he didn't go and buy an envelope and letter paper after escaping from your room, while being chased by the police.

Therefore, you don't need to worry. That attack was never intended to kill you for real, it was only for show.

So, that was interesting. Neither the game nor the book do at this point come outright and say it, but there is a clear implication that there is a kind of a relationship between Tamayo and Sukekiyo going on (although we'll see this spelled out later when we look at our relationship diagram, though). Based on what we already have seen in our previous interactions with Tamayo, it also seems to be the implication that Sukekiyo might have already revealed himself to her at some earlier point during this case after his first arrival in Nasu.

Now I understand that when Sukekiyo-kun came over on the evening of the 13th, the attack on Tamayo-san was fake... but, we still can't say that he has nothing to with the killing of impostor Sukekiyo.

...if you took the last train to Tokyo on the 12th, or the first train the next day, you would still be able to return here on the evening of the 13th. But, why you would do something like that, I'm not sure.
I mean, you could still have gone on and killed Tamayo-san and committed suicide on that same night of the 12th, and be done with everything in one go.
Hmm...

If you go around the barbershops in Tokyo with Sukekiyo's photograph, we may be able to track his movements from there and figure out his whereabouts at the time.

It must have been.
The killing of fake Sukekiyo must have come as a big surprise. So when he read about it in the evening paper, he was likely to have been quite shocked.
Moreover, this was a bit different from the previous killings of Suketake-kun and Suketomo-kun.

...in this case it was pretty obvious that that's unlikely and that it will be only a matter of time until the real criminal is exposed, whether they were aware of it or not.

And, well, it's up to us to say it... but we only really have one keyword that is related to a person, so here goes...

THE END OF CHAPTER EIGHT

Well then, there you go. But don't worry, we still have one whole chapter to clarify exactly what happened and how!

For now, let's check out our updated relationship diagram--this time we finally move Sukekiyo over to his correct spot, and also take note of that arrow which finally spells out the relationship between him and Tamayo, although you could have pretty much guessed it at this point!

(Click to embiggen!)

So I'll see you in chapter nine next time, where finally we get to hear everything explained!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

IT WAS THE BUTLER MOTHER ALL ALONG?!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I mean so far Kindaichi is assuming a familial relationship as the cause of the suicide, it could be that the murderer has something else on the guy to pressure him to such an extent. Seems like a bit of a reach.

Or am I missing something?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SSNeoman posted:

I mean so far Kindaichi is assuming a familial relationship as the cause of the suicide, it could be that the murderer has something else on the guy to pressure him to such an extent. Seems like a bit of a reach.

Or am I missing something?

It had to be someone on the inside. That means that a familial relationship is the only possible answer, since the only people outside the family that would have a reason to go for the murder are Miyakawa (nearly blind, clearly nowhere near able enough, and also would've murdered the mothers, not the children) and Tamayo (proven innocent by being part of Sukekiyo's alibi). And inside the family, it'd be heavily unlikely for a mother to kill her own child, especially since those seem to be the only functional bonds in this gigantic mess of a family, so the only possible guilty party is Matsuko.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm just not sure what matsuko's motive was. her actual son probably would have married tamayo without any murder involved, so it looks like the inheritance didn't have anything to do with it. what's more, she certainly knew that the son she presented was fake, and even that her real son was hanging around due to the fingerprinting switcharoo.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'm just not sure what matsuko's motive was. her actual son probably would have married tamayo without any murder involved, so it looks like the inheritance didn't have anything to do with it. what's more, she certainly knew that the son she presented was fake, and even that her real son was hanging around due to the fingerprinting switcharoo.

Her motive is probably revenge against the father, and it's actually quite brilliant: not only has she wiped out the entire male line except for her own son, but her father's reputation has been wrecked by the media learning all about the craziness of the family. No matter what the family does, the direct family line will die if her son doesn't inherit/have kids, and it will always be tainted by the association with murder.

Her father (probably) intended to revenge himself/his lover by making the family fight over money, so she made it so there's no one to fight over the money by killing the people in question. What isn't clear is her plan for Tamayo: did she plan on framing her? Was she trying to kill Tamayo, or was that someone else? Did she want Tamayo to inherit the money to end the family for good? It's a bit curious.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
How many people knew about Tamayo's true lineage?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Aw. I was hoping Tamayo did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Shoeless posted:

Aw. I was hoping Tamayo did it.

Yeah, sorry about that!

But she was constantly acting so suspiciously, that there was no way it was going to be anything but a red herring! :v:

On the other hand, she did probably hide the fact about the swap for at least some amount of time, so...