Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Sickening posted:

I mean that is true if you aren't using cals legally.

Not sure what you're getting at here, but I have enough to cover our current usage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

PremiumSupport posted:

Not sure what you're getting at here, but I have enough to cover our current usage.

Well you have to renew the cals, so you plan and shift the costs near the time of renewal.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Pissing me off: I'm trying to get a job in the local government; they're very well-respected as an employer generally, and I want that sweet public pension and the job stability that goes along with it. I'm applying for anything I can get that pays more than I'm making now, which is almost everything they hire for. I've seen a couple of sysadmin-level jobs that I would be about perfect for... and they only allow internal candidates to apply for them. The jobs open to external candidates are architect/engineer jobs (which I don't feel I'm really qualified for) or desktop tech jobs, so I've been applying for the desktop tech jobs (because they pay more than I'm currently making at a sysadmin level). I just had an interview today, and I think I overkilled it, and they're going to be concerned I'm overqualified; I was talking up a lot of the work I've been doing where I am now, they started asking for some issues I might imagine they might run into migrating from Office 2013 on-prem to Office 365, and I was hella detailed about some of the issues I'd run into historically (Excel macros and ODBC connections since they're converting to 64-bit Office, group ownership from the Exchange migration, etc.). Then they got to the technical questions, and asked "what is an IP address?"

They did at least ask in followup why I was applying for that job, and I did my best to alleviate fears of me jumping in and immediately leaving for something better. It's just a bitch, I feel like I'm in a zone where I know too much for their entry-level jobs (even though I genuinely wouldn't mind putting in a couple of years in Tier 1 just to learn systems and things, especially since it would be more pay and better work/life balance), can't get into the midrange jobs because I'm external, and am underqualified for the high-end jobs.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Thanatosian posted:

Pissing me off: I'm trying to get a job in the local government; they're very well-respected as an employer generally, and I want that sweet public pension and the job stability that goes along with it. I'm applying for anything I can get that pays more than I'm making now, which is almost everything they hire for. I've seen a couple of sysadmin-level jobs that I would be about perfect for... and they only allow internal candidates to apply for them. The jobs open to external candidates are architect/engineer jobs (which I don't feel I'm really qualified for) or desktop tech jobs, so I've been applying for the desktop tech jobs (because they pay more than I'm currently making at a sysadmin level). I just had an interview today, and I think I overkilled it, and they're going to be concerned I'm overqualified; I was talking up a lot of the work I've been doing where I am now, they started asking for some issues I might imagine they might run into migrating from Office 2013 on-prem to Office 365, and I was hella detailed about some of the issues I'd run into historically (Excel macros and ODBC connections since they're converting to 64-bit Office, group ownership from the Exchange migration, etc.). Then they got to the technical questions, and asked "what is an IP address?"

They did at least ask in followup why I was applying for that job, and I did my best to alleviate fears of me jumping in and immediately leaving for something better. It's just a bitch, I feel like I'm in a zone where I know too much for their entry-level jobs (even though I genuinely wouldn't mind putting in a couple of years in Tier 1 just to learn systems and things, especially since it would be more pay and better work/life balance), can't get into the midrange jobs because I'm external, and am underqualified for the high-end jobs.

The burb I live in had a desktop support person with a PHD. The competition for these jobs is fierce as gently caress.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sickening posted:

Well you have to renew the cals, so you plan and shift the costs near the time of renewal.

You don't though?

You just can't upgrade anything if you don't buy new cals or maintain software assurance.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Super Soaker Party! posted:

As someone with a recalcitrant nonprofit as a client, what do you do about desktop Office?

Office 2019 licenses, I believe as part of a technet subscription. If they don't want to pay for a desktop client though, the browser-based office suite you get with E1 is perfectly usable if they're super bare-bones. Just map some browser shortcuts on their desktops.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Due to a combination of problems in our supply chain and SoO buying machines that promised the moon but can only get us into Earth orbit, we're going to miss a major product rollout date. SoO is working his whole 8 hours a day making sure I take the fall for it.

And I don't even care, I'm tired of working 18 hours a day and 96 a week  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

klosterdev posted:

Office 2019 licenses, I believe as part of a technet subscription. If they don't want to pay for a desktop client though, the browser-based office suite you get with E1 is perfectly usable if they're super bare-bones. Just map some browser shortcuts on their desktops.

Technet licenses are specifically disallowed from production use.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sickening posted:

You renew SA on them, the CALs are valid forever but only for whatever version of Windows Server you bought them for without SA.

CALs are one of the main reasons I try and push people to subscription licensing, gently caress CALs.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

The Fool posted:

Whelp, looks like I'm gonna have a talk with my boss

Edit: Looks like their subscription service was discontinued in 2013? Must be via some different means if we have Office 2019 licenses.

klosterdev fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 11, 2019

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
poo poo that is pissing me off more and more, the use of ping as a verb for person to person communications.

“Okay sounds good, I’ll ping you when it’s ready”

“You won’t get a response, I’m not RFC792 compliant.”

Nobody gets the joke, ever.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Pissing me off: the xmas night out was made into a three day event with townhall meetings and discussions on the company's future (it's bad - the three founders were all forced out this year and a third of the company is being sold off), with the party at the end. The party will suck because no one's secure in their jobs, plus I barely know most of these people - half of them I've not seen since last xmas. The venue is a hotel resort way out of town, so I can't just walk home as soon as polite like last year.

Not pissing me off: I'm holding down the IT fort so only have to attend the last evening.
Pissing me off: co-worker got a virus I'm 51% sure he invented to get out of the whole thing. Wish I'd thought of that first. This place has gotten depressing.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
discovered we have at least thirty missing macbooks today so that's fun

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

The Iron Rose posted:

discovered we have at least thirty missing macbooks today so that's fun

On the plus side, I am sure your relatives are going to be grateful for your very generous xmas gifts.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

devmd01 posted:

poo poo that is pissing me off more and more, the use of ping as a verb for person to person communications.

You have acknowledged their request for contact and replied to them. A ping has been sent and returned.

I think of it more as the notification noise on your phone or email; Something's reached you and trying to confirm a connection for further two-way communication.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Thanks Ants posted:

You renew SA on them, the CALs are valid forever but only for whatever version of Windows Server you bought them for without SA.

CALs are one of the main reasons I try and push people to subscription licensing, gently caress CALs.

That's what I thought. The number of staff we have that access email is pretty consistent, right around 100 at any given time. So we rolled 130 CALs through Tech Soup into the cost of the server as a one time upgrade expense to make sure we were covered.

e: To be fair, the 365 versions of Microsoft products were not a thing when I put together this server. Next time we upgrade we may well go that route, but until that time it's viewed as an unneeded expense when compared to the virtually zero cost of our current setup.

PremiumSupport fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 11, 2019

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You have acknowledged their request for contact and replied to them. A ping has been sent and returned.

I think of it more as the notification noise on your phone or email; Something's reached you and trying to confirm a connection for further two-way communication.

He has a firewall rule with icmp-port-unreachable set.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

devmd01 posted:

Can we take this discussion offline? I don't have enough bandwidth today.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
I'll touch base with you

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Sounds good. I'll start assembling a tiger team to socialize the issue so we can hit the ground running once you are onboarded

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

PremiumSupport posted:

e: To be fair, the 365 versions of Microsoft products were not a thing when I put together this server. Next time we upgrade we may well go that route, but until that time it's viewed as an unneeded expense when compared to the virtually zero cost of our current setup.

Your current setup cost you a day of lost access to email though, whoever is making decisions at your place is awful at it

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

tactlessbastard posted:

Due to a combination of problems in our supply chain and SoO buying machines that promised the moon but can only get us into Earth orbit, we're going to miss a major product rollout date. SoO is working his whole 8 hours a day making sure I take the fall for it.

And I don't even care, I'm tired of working 18 hours a day and 96 a week  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Just gimmie a call if you need help hiding the body. Got your back.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Fool posted:

Back at the design studio it took me months to pound that into a couple of decisionmakers heads. I eventually had to point out that whistleblowers get a cut of the penalties assessed - and they were a few months behind on reimbursing for expenses.

One of my peers at the same shop had to draft a letter to the fire marshal about their proposed new seating plan, which would have required a stunning array of power strips and extension cords.

That executive team wound up buying a company on the installment plan, and then missing a payment. Idiots.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Johnny Aztec posted:

Just gimmie a call if you need help hiding the body. Got your back.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Interview went well. Visited the server room, they have a Liebert and their network wiring is color-coded :swoon:

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Agrikk posted:

Sounds good. I'll start assembling a tiger team to socialize the issue so we can hit the ground running once you are onboarded

Heard this for the first time today and now it shows up here. Truly cursed.

Pissing me off: just found out we’re doing a giant RIF in the new year but hey I’m getting two more teams under me and a raise?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

PremiumSupport posted:

e: I don't have a budget. None.

I have to struggle to get other divisions to let me have a couple hundred bucks of their budget to replace workstations.

Non-flippant reply: Quit. That's not a job; it's a punishment. You have no means of succeeding.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Thanks Ants posted:

Your current setup cost you a day of lost access to email though, whoever is making decisions at your place is awful at it

Despite a few newer staff members opinions to the contrary, internet access and email are not critical business functions for this non-profit. Management and the Board are not looking for, and certainly not interested in paying anything for, 99% uptime. One day lost here and there is no big deal to them and doesn't impact our bottom line in any meaningful way. :shrug:

Weatherman posted:

Non-flippant reply: Quit. That's not a job; it's a punishment. You have no means of succeeding.

I don't have a budget because I technically don't need a budget. Replacement hardware and software gets charged to the department it was purchased for. My job isn't to keep things up to date or make sure we're on the cutting edge of technology. IT isn't even my primary role in the organization. My job as far as IT goes is to procure and deploy new hardware as needed and fix crap when it falls over so we don't have to pay a MSP to do it. I actually enjoy what I do most days.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Your organization views IT incorrectly, and some very simple (not free, but cheap) changes could significantly improve the efficiency of the entire organization.

But non-profits suck, regardless of how noble their mission is.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

The Fool posted:

Your organization views IT incorrectly, and some very simple (not free, but cheap) changes could significantly improve the efficiency of the entire organization.

But non-profits suck, regardless of how noble their mission is.

What makes you think that? If for them the functions that IT provides are just "nice to have" and nowhere near needed (much less critical) for the organization, how can the efficiency be improved by said IT?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
O365 seems to be going apeshit this morning.

EDIT: Looks like it was nationwide, but abating.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 12, 2019

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008
This is such an annoying feature. It's so dumb I never remember it. :|
https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/Latitude-E7440-Display-goes-Black-Blank-after-quot-Starting/td-p/4377927

Can't stack Dell laptops, the laptop below the top one has a magnet sensor powerful enough to trigger through it's monitor into the laptop above it

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Nazattack posted:

This is such an annoying feature. It's so dumb I never remember it. :|
https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/Latitude-E7440-Display-goes-Black-Blank-after-quot-Starting/td-p/4377927

Can't stack Dell laptops, the laptop below the top one has a magnet sensor powerful enough to trigger through it's monitor into the laptop above it

I've had fleets of Acers and Lenovos that do this too. Drives me crazy.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I got asked to spec out a server to run VMware on. Finally going to try it here.

The funny part is that it's to run local clones of remote MySQL servers that we replicate from our main DB here. :think:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Volguus posted:

What makes you think that? If for them the functions that IT provides are just "nice to have" and nowhere near needed (much less critical) for the organization, how can the efficiency be improved by said IT?

Previous nonprofit experience.

But even just taking the ops comments at face value and not making any other assumptions: op is not a full time IT person, they take time away from their primary responsibilities to deal with breakfix issues.

In addition, despite their assurances that IT issues don’t impact the organizations primary purpose, I can guarantee that any issues that arise are in fact affecting individual workers efficiency.

Migrating away from on prem infrastructure is the easiest win for a small org like theirs. It reduces management complexity and increases reliability. That and some other minor changes are all but guaranteed to simultaneously reduce msp costs and the amount of time op has to deal with issues that are not their primary responsibility.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

The Fool posted:

Previous nonprofit experience.

But even just taking the ops comments at face value and not making any other assumptions: op is not a full time IT person, they take time away from their primary responsibilities to deal with breakfix issues.

In addition, despite their assurances that IT issues don’t impact the organizations primary purpose, I can guarantee that any issues that arise are in fact affecting individual workers efficiency.

Migrating away from on prem infrastructure is the easiest win for a small org like theirs. It reduces management complexity and increases reliability. That and some other minor changes are all but guaranteed to simultaneously reduce msp costs and the amount of time op has to deal with issues that are not their primary responsibility.

Unfortunately due to the nature of our non-profit work we will never be able to ditch on-prem server infrastructure. We will always have an on-site server that will need support and breakfix. It may not be doing email, but it will be here on site chugging away. The additional time burden our current email server adds to that is pretty negligible. It's cost the organization two working days of my time in total over the last five years. It also had very little hard cash outlay to set up to begin with, just the Exchange license and CALs, all purchased through Tech Soup, and a SSL cert. The Windows license was the essentially free, as at the time Microsoft's licensing allowed two instances to be installed on a single physical machine and we were buying the server anyway.

Web based apps work somewhat well as long as you have internet, however I lost productivity when our payroll company switched to a web-based portal for entry. I used to be able to get payroll (my primary task) entered into the software in 4 hours, now it takes 8 or 9 because the web based app is slower at accepting input than our old on-site version. As for MSP costs, the only thing we're paying for at the moment is off-site backups, which would continue no mater what due to the on-site server requirement.

I have no doubt your recommendations make sense for many orgs, but at this particular moment in time, they would cost us more than we would gain.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

PremiumSupport posted:

Unfortunately due to the nature of our non-profit work we will never be able to ditch on-prem server infrastructure. We will always have an on-site server that will need support and breakfix. It may not be doing email, but it will be here on site chugging away.
I get that some workloads can't be easily transferred, but you should always be working to reduce the amount of breakfix work that you do.

quote:

The additional time burden our current email server adds to that is pretty negligible. It's cost the organization two working days of my time in total over the last five years.
I suspect you're severely underestimating the cost as there are more factors than just your time.

quote:

It also had very little hard cash outlay to set up to begin with, just the Exchange license and CALs, all purchased through Tech Soup, and a SSL cert. The Windows license was the essentially free, as at the time Microsoft's licensing allowed two instances to be installed on a single physical machine and we were buying the server anyway.
Emphasis mine. The server licensing model allows for one physical installation and one virtual installation on one physical machine per entitlement, not "two instances"

quote:

Web based apps work somewhat well as long as you have internet, however I lost productivity when our payroll company switched to a web-based portal for entry. I used to be able to get payroll (my primary task) entered into the software in 4 hours, now it takes 8 or 9 because the web based app is slower at accepting input than our old on-site version. As for MSP costs, the only thing we're paying for at the moment is off-site backups, which would continue no mater what due to the on-site server requirement.
You should be working to reduce your need for manual entry. I'm sorry your payroll software sucks, but they all suck.

quote:

I have no doubt your recommendations make sense for many orgs, but at this particular moment in time, they would cost us more than we would gain.

I don't know your organization or your workflows, and you may be entirely correct, but I suspect that you are underestimating your current costs and potential efficiencies gained. And it's never just about cost in dollars.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 12, 2019

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Fool posted:

Emphasis mine. The server licensing model allows for one physical installation and one virtual installation on one physical machine per entitlement, not "two instances"

You can have two virtualized instances as long as the Hyper-V install they are running on it doing nothing other than Hyper-V.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

That's my bad, thanks for the correction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Thanks Ants posted:

You can have two virtualized instances as long as the Hyper-V install they are running on it doing nothing other than Hyper-V.

Just came to post this. As long as that hasn't changed, this is how it worked a few years ago.