Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Just found this guy last night, really like this song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq86ebreNC8

bonus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bngu7uU2YsA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
New I got 5 On It ft. Krayzie Bone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBcTJ5ADFIM&feature=emb_title

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYJ03MIPoIk

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

8 March 2019

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Escobarbarian posted:

8 March 2019

fair, but also worth a repost.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
It’s got niiiiiine (months) on it

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Also, who is everyone’s 3 most influential rappers for the decade?

Off-hand, I think Lil’ B and Gucci Mane. But I can’t think of the third.

Not best rapper. Not someone who had a stellar decade. But people whose work begat more.

Maybe Future? Young Thug? I guess you could argue Drake but that started in 09 even if it took a couple years to get up to steam. Probably Kanye but he’s so whatever to me post-Yeezus.

Lil’ B’s DNA is in every SoundCloud rapper putting up shittily mastered tracks with half of the song being the hook which is just the same sentence or 2 words repeated over and over.

Gucci is the trap genre. I don’t think he got the notice and acclaim until he got locked up and released. But everything he did with Migos and Thug and PeeWee and the rest of em, the mixtapes around the early 2010s. Everyone is doing their best Gucci impression. Jeezy lost the war.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Gibbs, Gucci and Thug are probably my most listened to this decade I would guess

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
influential on this decade i'd say would be gucci and birdman. between them they're responsible for most of the talent we've seen this decade.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Future
Future
Future

Everyone wants to be future.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
Chief Keef, Young Thug, Gucci Mane

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Boywhiz88 posted:

Also, who is everyone’s 3 most influential rappers for the decade?

Off-hand, I think Lil’ B and Gucci Mane. But I can’t think of the third.

Not best rapper. Not someone who had a stellar decade. But people whose work begat more.

Maybe Future? Young Thug? I guess you could argue Drake but that started in 09 even if it took a couple years to get up to steam. Probably Kanye but he’s so whatever to me post-Yeezus.

Lil’ B’s DNA is in every SoundCloud rapper putting up shittily mastered tracks with half of the song being the hook which is just the same sentence or 2 words repeated over and over.

Gucci is the trap genre. I don’t think he got the notice and acclaim until he got locked up and released. But everything he did with Migos and Thug and PeeWee and the rest of em, the mixtapes around the early 2010s. Everyone is doing their best Gucci impression. Jeezy lost the war.

Kanye, Lil B, Lil Wayne. Most the trap dudes who are popular and make the sound people think of actually were more influenced by Wayne's style. Gucci has been better at discovering talent than actually making music himself. Lil B was basically a soundcloud rapper who started on Myspace. Kanye is Kanye and is probably top 3 all-time influential dude in rap (with Dre and probably Wayne or Birdman).

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

alansmithee posted:

Lil B was basically a soundcloud rapper who started on Myspace.

those young L beats were influential as hell too

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

succ posted:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Playboi carti, Young Thug, Lil uzi vert

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Playboi carti, Young Thug, Lil uzi vert

please don't troll

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

i dont understand not putting future on this list when everyone has sounded like future for 6 years

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Future saved autotune. It was on its way out, but he revitalized it by using it on a relatively novel way vs. T-Pain & Kanye to basically make straight up Trap tracks, just with autotune (and not even always in key.) I don't think we get the 2010s as we know it with out him.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

My most listened to are Danny, Thug and Kendrick but I would say most influential is Gucci by far. It’s crazy to list Thug without mentioning Gucci. And maybe Drake second most influential. As much as most people might hate it I think he really shaped a lot of 2012-2018 rap. Maybe Wayne deserves credit for that tho idk

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

marry kanye, kill future, gently caress kendrick

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Jonathan Fisk posted:

marry kanye, kill future, gently caress kendrick

this is the hottest take in the thread

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Future, Gucci Mane , Drake

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
Kendrick, Earl, Thug in terms of influential. Drake is my most listened to Spotify artist tho.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Future and Gucci Mane for sure, but I’m stuck between Drake and Lil Wayne for the third spot.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

virinvictus posted:

Future and Gucci Mane for sure, but I’m stuck between Drake and Lil Wayne for the third spot.

Wayne 2000s, Drake 2010s imho

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

alansmithee posted:

please don't troll

I’m 100% serious

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Most influential is Keef, Cudi and Gucci

Literally every new rapper out now you take bits and pieces of each of these dudes and you can create what is popular rap now

Most of the so called Kanye influence is from Kanye being influenced and working with Cudi

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Drake is so influential to the 2010s that he birthed an entire genre of awful R&B like Partynextdoor, dvsn, Majid Jordan, Roy Woods, The Weeknd etc...

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

chief keef, future, travis scott

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

people itt confusing 2010s with the 2000s real hard imo

RoRz0r
Sep 7, 2010
Kendrick, Tom Scott, Freddie Gibbs

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Drake is so influential to the 2010s that he birthed an entire genre of awful R&B like Partynextdoor, dvsn, Majid Jordan, Roy Woods, The Weeknd etc...

The Weeknd is actually singing. Independent of your opinion of quality

The 2010s were built off of Chicago Drill, Gucci's style of distribution and trap music, and Cudi's sing rapping and sadboy poo poo.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

succ posted:

Actually I'm gonna change this to, now hear me out,

Chief Keef, Gucci Mane -- few arguments here
Yung Lean -- he like singlehandedly broke soundcloud meme rap

and while Thug is the GOAT, he's not super influential outside of like other YSL dudes

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

What do you define as influential? The person who people try to copy? Because more people have bit Future’s entire style than anyone else this decade.

Drake inspired an entire genre of mopey singsong rap like the Weeknd and PND.

And Kendrick and J. Cole held it down for their brand of relatively conscious lyrics.

Young Thug is/was popular throughout and I think people are mistaking popularity with influence. I think you have to put Future ahead of Young Thug.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I put influence as the one who's influence started it all

Like Drake is just someone who took what Kanye was doing(who in turn took from Cudi) with some Wayne and Big Sean(Drake's(:ghost:) pen is better than his)

Drake's strength is that he is very very good at the rapping and singing parts and is pretty much a chameleon when it comes to styles which means he can pick up from whatever is hot and whatever he sees as next. Which means he can just hire a new writer and have a completely different sound.

More people are trying to copy Drake and Future, but they are just a refinement or combination of what other artists popularized

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
I'm gonna go with Kanye, Future, Keef

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Probably reductive to point at a single song but Kanye's verse in Put On really feels like the template for tons and tons of dudes over the years

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Dexo posted:

Most influential is Keef, Cudi and Gucci

Literally every new rapper out now you take bits and pieces of each of these dudes and you can create what is popular rap now

Most of the so called Kanye influence is from Kanye being influenced and working with Cudi

this take makes a lot of sense tbh, but Kanye reached a lot more ears than Cudi (not saying Cudi is at all obscure or unknown, just that Ye is massive) so I get putting Ye in the list

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Joe Budden x 3

Also, The Game is on People's Party with Talib this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoj4i8zdFRc

highme fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

40 lbs to freedom posted:

people itt confusing 2010s with the 2000s real hard imo

the question was who influenced 2010's the hardest. that's generally going to be the previous generation.