Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Kaiji, no! Structuring deposits like that is one of the things banks specifically look for! Especially if it's cash!

Really though, they're going to have a hell of a time with this. They've got money for days, but they lack the kind of actual time and resources that you normally need for money laundering. In realistic terms they'd be completely boned, I'm excited to see how this goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Honestly I expected them to buy up expensive jewelry / gems / etc, since that's what the dude on Espoir did. Kaiji, learn from your past!!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

dirby posted:

I enjoyed the Akagi anime quite a bit when it was new, and recently heard that the manga finished, so I basically just binged through it. One of my favorite parts was probably when (spoilers for only the beginning of the Washizu arc) it was pointed out that 2,000㏄s would be 20,000㏄s in today's blood.

I didn't enjoy what I've seen (most of season 1?) of the Kaiji anime, basically because Kaiji is kind of a loser compared to Akagi's perfection. For example, I like Liar Game and One Outs by Shinobu Kaitani for similar reasons to Akagi. Does Fukumoto have other things I should read for that? Maybe Ten?
Definitely Gambling Emperor Zero. Also if you've read Akagi just skip to the last third of Ten (which is actually about Akagi)

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
These fuckin goofballs are gonna get arrested the second they step in the bank in those outfits holding 10 million yen

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Magissima posted:

These fuckin goofballs are gonna get arrested the second they step in the bank in those outfits holding 10 million yen

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Kaiji Chang and Mario go to prison will be an epic arc.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Kaiji's story loving sucks and Mario's the only one who got things right

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I love how clueless Kaiji is to simple mundane poo poo.

Mario was the closest to good but the thing is, they should aim for not calling too much attention. Kazuya's dressing style is way over the top, if bad comes to worst the bank clerks will definitely remember him.

I hope they go to the bank, see how out of place they all are and then give up and come back dressed in a way everybody else is.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Just go into any reasonably decent shop and get assistance getting fitted up. People coming into get a nice suit for job interviews or meetings isn't uncommon.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

This is Kaiji though. He overthinks everything and complicates the simplest stuff. His biggest talent in gambling is one of his biggest downfalls anywhere else.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Man Kaiji your clothes idea was awful.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
They just want him to get a Centurion card

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

goblin week posted:

They just want him to get a Centurion card

Oh I doubt it's anything serious. But the clothes are an awful idea cause it's needlessly drawing attention to him.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Plutonis posted:

https://mangadex.org/title/38165/yamima-no-mamiya

Could it be... The first girl protagonist on a Fukumoto mahjong manga?
Yup.

https://twitter.com/pokoori/status/1145532006236692480

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/arito_arayuru/status/1149271991150530560

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Goddamn the Tonegawa manga loving rules.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

CodfishCartographer posted:

Goddamn the Tonegawa manga loving rules.

:goonsay: this is actually the Otsuki manga, it's a separate series from the Tonegawa manga :goonsay:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Symbolic Butt posted:

:goonsay: this is actually the Otsuki manga, it's a separate series from the Tonegawa manga :goonsay:

Oh poo poo really? I thought the Otsuki parts were just short side stories in the tonegawa manga!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

honestly i dont think a labor camp is a great place to get gains

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Stairmaster posted:

honestly i dont think a labor camp is a great place to get gains

lookit this chump what never been to prison.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
https://mangadex.org/chapter/661204/1

Chang has some stupid friends.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
jesus christ kaiji

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
this is basically the best manga I've ever read

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Didn’t know you could smoke in a Japanese bank.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Teiai are such pieces of poo poo. You lost fair and square.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
That loving Hyodo is so great.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Teiai are such pieces of poo poo. You lost fair and square.

They did, but will Kazuya admit that to his dad? He could probably try to swing it that Kaiji's gang stole it somehow. I wouldn't be surprised if Kaiji's group winds up getting caught, but they explain what happens to Hyodo and then he's like "oh really? Well you're free to go, lemme just go throw my terrible son on the BBQ kekeke" or whatever.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Yamima no Mamiya officially begins!

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Good poo poo.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Really curious when poo poo is going to hit the fan for Kaiji.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well if poo poo hits the fan he is kind of screwed. I am really enjoying the games of evasion right now however.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well if poo poo hits the fan he is kind of screwed. I am really enjoying the games of evasion right now however.

I’m guessing he’ll eventually get caught, and taken before Hyoudou and / or Kazuya, where there’ll be one last big showdown gamble, solely because i’m not sure where else the story could go. If Kaiji and the gang escape, what then? Kaiji lives a nice life for a while before inevitably gambling all his money away into debt again and thus he needs to do another gamble? They could escape and then we just get a “and he lived happily ever after” ending, but that would feel kind of anti-climactic without one final gamble as a finale. He could get caught and then just sent to another labor camp or Teiai prison or whatever, but that’s just retreading where we’ve already been.

I can’t really see, from a narrative standpoint, where else things could go. I suppose maybe Kaiji gives up his share of the money to save / greatly benefit Chang and Mario or something, and then we’re back to Kaiji being a bum and gambling to get more money. I suppose the best case scenario (from the perspective of getting more Kaiji material) is they escape Japan, but then Kaiji needs to sacrifice his share for his friends, and then starts getting caught up in foreign gambling rings that are separated / rival Teiai.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CodfishCartographer posted:

If Kaiji and the gang escape, what then? Kaiji lives a nice life for a while before inevitably gambling all his money away into debt again and thus he needs to do another gamble?

Well that's unlikely to happen, he has a enough money to set himself for life.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well that's unlikely to happen, he has a enough money to set himself for life.

He's fuckin' Kaiji, he'll find a way to lose that poo poo in four days playing pachinko.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lmfao Endou making GBS threads himself on the new chapters because of his paranoia

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://mangadex.org/chapter/754132

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I like that the mainline kaiji Manga has more or less turned into Tonegawa.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's amazing how afraid of Teiai Endo is.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I finally received this manga book that I pre ordered over a year ago.