Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

One thing I've always thought was weird is how much tutorializing the game has for its most basic mechanics, meanwhile there's so much stuff in the game you would literally never figure out yourself. They might at well have an NPC in one of the Pokemon Centers come up to you once you beat the game and say "you should google Pokemon IVs if you don't already know what they are because WOW you're in for a surprise, anyways bye."

I listened to a podcast where Justin McElroy talked about not knowing what mechanics of the game were secretly super important and having no idea which things he needed to look into and which things were just for fun and I can imagine that being frustrating. He was wondering if the Camping feature was actually really important to making your Pokemon strong and if friendship mattered at all in terms of Pokemon performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Its funny that stuff isn't explained but they'll put in an advice board after gym 3 or 4 telling you that you can't steal pokemon from other trainers.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Leal posted:

Its funny that stuff isn't explained but they'll put in an advice board after gym 3 or 4 telling you that you can't steal pokemon from other trainers.

Aw geez must've missed that sign. Does explain why people are so mad at me tho

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I almost put the game down when Leon tells you, during your final battle, that Super Effective attacks are the most effective way to win. Like...thanks Leon. Thanks.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I almost put the game down when Leon tells you, during your final battle, that Super Effective attacks are the most effective way to win. Like...thanks Leon. Thanks.

I mean he and Hop are brothers and all

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Cattail Prophet posted:

Random thought: back in XY there were a bunch of npcs scattered around Kalos that told you about all the passive type based immunities to various effects that gen 6 added, plus sound moves ignoring substitutes, and now there's literally no in-game documentation for any of that stuff. I know there's already tons of other mechanics stuff that never gets communicated to the player, but for whatever reason this stands out to me in particular.

I don't even remember what they are, tbh.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I wonder if one of the reasons they removed Dragon Rage is because the fixed 40 damage was going through the raid shields and letting testers tear through the raids faster than an all Eternatus squad.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

That's what we have mints for.

Shame they're 50 BP and not something less tedious like 100k Poke Bucks.

Framboise posted:

I did some wonder trading last night and got a Chinese Dreepy with Adamant Nature, absolute perfect IVs, and Pokerus.

... am I safe to use this competitively? Saves me time breeding my own, but I have a nagging feeling it could have been hacked.

Use it to breed 5-6 IV Dreepy because those will be safe regardless?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I do get why some stuff like IVs are "hidden" from the player until the post game though, as this sort of knowledge is absolutely not needed for a casual run. The main campaign in balanced in such a way that the player cannot enter an unwinnable state because the game managed to generate your starter to have extremely low stats and cannot win against your first battle. Its also hidden to prevent most players from prioritizing catching monsters with high IVs early on and discard ones that aren't too early, That's generally for the postgame when the player has presumably amassed a decent sized collection and the game throws the battle tower at you.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Evil Fluffy posted:

I wonder if one of the reasons they removed Dragon Rage is because the fixed 40 damage was going through the raid shields and letting testers tear through the raids faster than an all Eternatus squad.

Shame they're 50 BP and not something less tedious like 100k Poke Bucks.

50 BP aint nothin. Just get the Fossil Fish and press the fish button.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

The Bee posted:

I don't even remember what they are, tbh.

Grass types are immune to "powder" moves
Ghost types are immune to trapping effects
Electric types got proper immunity to all sources of paralysis*
I think dark types gained immunities to some of the weirder effects of their own moves? My memory's a little fuzzy on this one

*Side note, it still bothers me that Static works on ground types

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Cattail Prophet posted:

I think dark types gained immunities to some of the weirder effects of their own moves? My memory's a little fuzzy on this one

Moves specifically boosted by Prankster's priority effect. They just straight up don't work.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Is there a resource anywhere for wild area weather forecasts? I know the first day of every month makes the weather the same across the board, but I'd prefer not to set my clock ahead too far if I don't absolutely have to.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

50 BP aint nothin. Just get the Fossil Fish and press the fish button.

Don’t have a a Frankenmon but I guess that’s always an option since it seems to be stupidly op. Still any annoying time sink.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Evil Fluffy posted:

Don’t have a a Frankenmon but I guess that’s always an option since it seems to be stupidly op. Still any annoying time sink.

Yeah if anything I'm less annoyed by the difficulty of gaining BP compared to how much time it takes. I'd rather get 1BP per max raid and just do a bazillion of them than get slightly more in the battle tower which is comparatively way less fun

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Cattail Prophet posted:

Grass types are immune to "powder" moves
Ghost types are immune to trapping effects
Electric types got proper immunity to all sources of paralysis*

*Side note, it still bothers me that Static works on ground types

I never knew any of this except for electric typed Pokemon avoiding paralysis.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah if anything I'm less annoyed by the difficulty of gaining BP compared to how much time it takes. I'd rather get 1BP per max raid and just do a bazillion of them than get slightly more in the battle tower which is comparatively way less fun

It's almost like you don't need the BP or anything other than meta..?

Ah gently caress I lost my edit but basically, this is the easiest gaining of BP in the history of the tower. I get that it sucks but you need it for even less previously and gain way more for no investment.

GenericGirlName fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 11, 2019

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

One thing I've always thought was weird is how much tutorializing the game has for its most basic mechanics, meanwhile there's so much stuff in the game you would literally never figure out yourself. They might at well have an NPC in one of the Pokemon Centers come up to you once you beat the game and say "you should google Pokemon IVs if you don't already know what they are because WOW you're in for a surprise, anyways bye."

This is for the same reason they make an effort to have extremely obscure evolution details nobody would bother to find: because they want to sell strategy guides.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

To be fair I just walked through Galar mine 2 and one of the miner ladies does say "did you know that Pokemon of that same species have different stats? That's nuts" But yeah they're obtuse on a ton of different things.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Zuzie posted:

Moves specifically boosted by Prankster's priority effect. They just straight up don't work.

Oh that's right, I think I got my wires crossed because the main context in which this actually mattered was prankster taunt.

Fake edit: Oh, apparently this one was actually a gen 7 change, which I never got around to playing. No wonder I didn't get the details right! Also the first half of this post might just be me talking completely out of my rear end!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I listened to a podcast where Justin McElroy talked about not knowing what mechanics of the game were secretly super important and having no idea which things he needed to look into and which things were just for fun and I can imagine that being frustrating. He was wondering if the Camping feature was actually really important to making your Pokemon strong and if friendship mattered at all in terms of Pokemon performance.

It's because IVs are only important if you want to do competitive.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Cattail Prophet posted:

Oh that's right, I think I got my wires crossed because the main context in which this actually mattered was prankster taunt.

Fake edit: Oh, apparently this one was actually a gen 7 change, which I never got around to playing. No wonder I didn't get the details right! Also the first half of this post might just be me talking completely out of my rear end!

Yeah at least some of those are Gen 7 changes but I can't be hosed to remember which ones

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

My friends have been playing the main releases since Red and Blue (We are all in early 30s) and only with this gen have found out about IVs and EVs and breeding and all that. One of them thought it was just added in this gen

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
They don't really want to spell things out because it makes stuff dry and mechanical, and for a lot of players (including me) it's nicer to play the game like your pokemon are your friends and get pleasantly surprised that e.g. your pokemon doesn't faint because it doesn't want to make you sad, instead of "oh okay I need to feed each pokemon 30 curries to max out their battle potential".

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I like Throat Chop stopping you from using moves based on a pokemon's voice. I found that out in the gym battle against Piers and was pleasantly surprised. I think the little thematic details like that are neat, even if they are never going to be significant to the ~competitive scene~.

Are the catch rates for the version-exclusive g-max events different to the catch rates for the g-max events that are in both versions? I have 6 g-max Snorlax in a box now, and have had 1 or 2 get away. But I have fought nearly as many g-max Drednaw and not one of them has stayed in the ball.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

https://twitter.com/Lanbook/status/1203621481113980928?s=20

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
extremely blessed

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Needs Melony+Snom version

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I'm fine with them testing singles Dynamax for Ubers because it is real dumb in 6v6 singles.

It is awesome in VGC doubles and not nearly as oppressive. I wonder why GF continues to focus on singles-only for the mainline games while balancing mainly for Doubles. I can see how someone who only plays singles or the main story would not vibe with Dynamax at all.

Made more egregious when you keep running into two Team Skull/Rocket/Yell grunts who each have one pokemon and wind up battling them each separately or only one of them while the other just stands there blankly

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
You know how often theres a trainer school in early parts of the game? We need a trainer college around the 7th gym that goes deep into poo poo. Not necessary to beat the game, but npcs start talking about stuff you can learn there and that maybe youll have an easier time if you learn things there.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Advanced Applied Paleontology with Professor Cara Liss

whoever creates the most awesome beast abomination gets an A

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Hammerite posted:

I like Throat Chop stopping you from using moves based on a pokemon's voice. I found that out in the gym battle against Piers and was pleasantly surprised. I think the little thematic details like that are neat, even if they are never going to be significant to the ~competitive scene~.

Are the catch rates for the version-exclusive g-max events different to the catch rates for the g-max events that are in both versions? I have 6 g-max Snorlax in a box now, and have had 1 or 2 get away. But I have fought nearly as many g-max Drednaw and not one of them has stayed in the ball.

Throat Chop blocking certain moves is definitely useful competitively.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Countblanc posted:

My friend used throat chop against my toxitricity and made it practically impotent the first time I used it

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

You know how often theres a trainer school in early parts of the game? We need a trainer college around the 7th gym that goes deep into poo poo. Not necessary to beat the game, but npcs start talking about stuff you can learn there and that maybe youll have an easier time if you learn things there.

A trainer college taught by a overseas teacher named Earl from the Johto region?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Countblanc posted:

I don't know which flavourful/thematic aspects of the battle system are competitively relevant and which aren't so I guessed

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I hope to one day do something exciting enough to warrant Marnie's theme playing in the background

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I hope to one day do something exciting enough to warrant Marnie's theme playing in the background

Marnie’s theme is pretty baller. It is what I have playing while running Battle Tower.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Leal posted:

A trainer college taught by a overseas teacher named Earl from the Johto region?

Someone in the discord joked about getting to the final battle with Leon and he just absolutely wipes the floor with you and then explains everything about IVs and EV training in complete detail and Im so hooked on that idea

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
god drat I wish it were easier to catch a loving Dreepy. I've gone through 15 wishing stars (and yeah, I did the trick to make sure they were all rare spawns) and check the stupid Lake of Outrage twice a day. I'm getting hosed by the drat RNG!!!!!

e: also moves that hit multiple times should take multiple slices of shield away

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Just start surprise trading your breedjects or whatever, you're bound to get a Dreepy in return before too long.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

indigi posted:

god drat I wish it were easier to catch a loving Dreepy. I've gone through 15 wishing stars (and yeah, I did the trick to make sure they were all rare spawns) and check the stupid Lake of Outrage twice a day. I'm getting hosed by the drat RNG!!!!!

e: also moves that hit multiple times should take multiple slices of shield away

just do like 10 surprise trades during normal hours in Japan, in my experience, and you'll have at least 5 Dreepys at the end, all with good stats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I'll have to spend some time doing that tonight, then!