Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
White Knight is all about "what if Batman is wrong and Joker is right", and to achieve that Murphey makes everything Batman does be really really wrong. Yes he tries to explain it later with what is going on with Alfred, but he makes everything Batman does be really really really bad. It kind of feels like a writer going "Batman is really stupid and I am going to show how stupid he is by making him do stupid stuff."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Which book is this happening in anyways?

Batman/Superman 1-4 are the lead in to INFECTED stories and are about B/S fighting against JokerBatman from Metal. He's infected some more people with joker toxin again to destroy the multiverse again.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Madkal posted:

White Knight is all about "what if Batman is wrong and Joker is right", and to achieve that Murphey makes everything Batman does be really really wrong. Yes he tries to explain it later with what is going on with Alfred, but he makes everything Batman does be really really really bad. It kind of feels like a writer going "Batman is really stupid and I am going to show how stupid he is by making him do stupid stuff."

Yeah. Sean Murphy has a knack for figuring what a fanbase wants out of the characters whether it's dumb or not (but it is pretty dumb)
but he gives it to them with some of the best art in North American comics!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The only good part of White Knight is when the GCPD takes all the Batmobiles so you get to see the '66 mobile and the Tumbler and the '89 one all driving around in the finale.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Madkal posted:

There is definitely some criticisms and conceptual space about the idea of Batman using his money to fight crime rather than use that money to cut at the core problems of poverty and such, but the conceit that he doesn't is part of comics in the first place and one of the first beliefs that has to be suspended.

Edit: Wrong thread

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 10, 2019

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan
I just finished White Knight. Seems more a waste of a decent idea. It feels like it should be a slow build character study to contrast Jack/Joker and Jack/Batman, but instead it ends with a giant battle royale in a frozen city. Its clear Murphy loves the poo poo out of the Animated Series but he didn't take lessons from telling simple stories well from it. I've only otherwise read his book Off Road so I think small is something he can do, but here he's tends to recycle a lot of BIG BATMAN IDEAS that have proliferated around the internet. In the same way that he keeps using terms like gatekeepers and SJWs without working it into a theme the whole thing just comes off as a limp mess.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Read Punk Rock Jesus. It's Murphy being edgy but it works pretty well

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

https://twitter.com/thedcnation/status/1204166663001628672?s=20

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I can't think of a cover with two people on it I like less.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I don't think those are covers.

edit: Yup. The further ones in that thread are obv just panels.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 11, 2019

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

This is probably going to be straight up trump if DC won't chicken out but if they do I hope they don't change the art and just say Solomon Grundy is president now

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
DC cowered under criticism from China. Wonder what they will do with the Maga chuds.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

DC cowered under criticism from China. Wonder what they will do with the Maga chuds.

That's film versus comics which means the dollar amounts involved are separated by at least one order of magnitude.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Skwirl posted:

That's film versus comics which means the dollar amounts involved are separated by at least one order of magnitude.

Madkal is talking about DC pulling a cover (it was later put back) with Rafael Grampa's art that China didn't like. Which later was used by Hong Kong protesters.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Superman revealing his identity issue was a good read. Good job Bendis.

So annoyed that I didn't get my shipment until 4 yesterday, but UPS is always a poo poo show this time of year.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Superman revealing his identity issue was a good read. Good job Bendis.

So annoyed that I didn't get my shipment until 4 yesterday, but UPS is always a poo poo show this time of year.

The Perry White page legit made me tear up. It was beautiful.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Speak posted:

The Perry White page legit made me tear up. It was beautiful.

The scene with Jimmy I also loved.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

I'm still not sure how I feel about this series. It's okay, but not fantastic. It's nice that they're giving Batwoman and Frankie something to do and bringing back some of the Crime Bible stuff, but it mostly makes me feel peeved about how the Batwoman TV series could've been if they'd followed Elegy more closely rather than what it is right now.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm still not sure how I feel about this series. It's okay, but not fantastic. It's nice that they're giving Batwoman and Frankie something to do and bringing back some of the Crime Bible stuff, but it mostly makes me feel peeved about how the Batwoman TV series could've been if they'd followed Elegy more closely rather than what it is right now.

Who is the dude to the right of batwoman? This looks pretty good.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Xelkelvos posted:

Bahahhahha. Orca is there. I thought she died. Then came back. Then died again. Like her whole deal, besides being in some really bad Batman comics, was to have some killer show up and kill people like Orca to show how bad/strong they are.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

Who is the dude to the right of batwoman? This looks pretty good.

New character. He's a ghost that haunts a theater in Gotham and is connected to every brick of it. Thus, the brick tied to Frankie's arm.

Madkal posted:

Bahahhahha. Orca is there. I thought she died. Then came back. Then died again. Like her whole deal, besides being in some really bad Batman comics, was to have some killer show up and kill people like Orca to show how bad/strong they are.

Yeah, her whole existence is jobbing and honestly, with that in mind, there's good money that she's gonna job again as she's fairly redundant in a team with Croc, though she at least brings to the table "being an actual scientist" which none of the rest of the "team" has.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
She's Croc's girlfriend/wife so she fits on the team just fine.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Isn't he still mourning Enchantress? They're not an item. The comic said that Croc got into town not too long ago while Orca's been in Gotham for a while now.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I think that was in Injustice.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
poo poo really? Talk about a major crossed wire.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Xelkelvos posted:

New character. He's a ghost that haunts a theater in Gotham and is connected to every brick of it. Thus, the brick tied to Frankie's arm.

That's a pretty cool schtick-- what's his name and where could I read about him?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Archyduchess posted:

That's a pretty cool schtick-- what's his name and where could I read about him?

It's in Gotham City Monsters

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I bet it could be something really good if it were an ongoing with more time to go into character dynamics but it's at least a pretty fun miniseries.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't know if it was intentional or not, but the VR segments of Doom Patrol looking like War Machine MAX is the funniest thing this week.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Roth posted:

I don't know if it was intentional or not, but the VR segments of Doom Patrol looking like War Machine MAX is the funniest thing this week.

More books should strongly remind me of Batman: Digital Justice. A perfect read from a perfect time.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
What the hell is going on with the DC universe? I read up to maybe Convergence and then stayed in the back issue realm for a while. I picked up the first trade for the current Justice League and I'm lost. It's a new league but they all know each other? Martian Manhunter is the head of the league but has not been around for years? There are multiple multiverses, and the JLA broke the Source Wall but we're just expected to know that story before an issue #1 of the flagship title?

I'm drowning and this isn't the DC universe I read for years. I thought Rebirth was supposed to give us that back.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Beerdeer posted:

What the hell is going on with the DC universe? I read up to maybe Convergence and then stayed in the back issue realm for a while. I picked up the first trade for the current Justice League and I'm lost. It's a new league but they all know each other? Martian Manhunter is the head of the league but has not been around for years? There are multiple multiverses, and the JLA broke the Source Wall but we're just expected to know that story before an issue #1 of the flagship title?

I'm drowning and this isn't the DC universe I read for years. I thought Rebirth was supposed to give us that back.

The miniseries no justice was the lead up to it along with the metal crossover

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Also there have been two Justice League #1s since Rebirth started.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Beerdeer posted:

What the hell is going on with the DC universe?
A big loving mess, really.

DC was planning on DOOMSDAY CLOCK to answer a bunch of poo poo they hosed up and to help reconcile the issues that were hanging around (like the "lost years" poo poo). But the timing on that slipped HARD. DClock #1 came out in November of 2017 and (barring any further delays) the final issue drops Dec 18 of this year.

Also in 2017, the Dark Nights Metal storyline started. When it wrapped in 2018 it was massively well received and had a dumb breakout character (The Batman who Laughs). So now we're in the middle of a Batman Who Laughs event (The Infected), the broken Source Wall has unleashed a primevil being called Perpetua that's remaking reality, Batman who Laughs is likely going up against her and Apex Lex Luthor (Perpetua had Apex Predator soldiers who later split into humans and martians) for Year of the Villain, and DClock will maybe factor into that but probably not because who even gives half a poo poo anymore when the HBO Watchmen series is doing far more interesting, daring work than this lame and over-wrought thing.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

FilthyImp posted:

A big loving mess, really.

DC was planning on DOOMSDAY CLOCK to answer a bunch of poo poo they hosed up and to help reconcile the issues that were hanging around (like the "lost years" poo poo). But the timing on that slipped HARD. DClock #1 came out in November of 2017 and (barring any further delays) the final issue drops Dec 18 of this year.

Also in 2017, the Dark Nights Metal storyline started. When it wrapped in 2018 it was massively well received and had a dumb breakout character (The Batman who Laughs). So now we're in the middle of a Batman Who Laughs event (The Infected), the broken Source Wall has unleashed a primevil being called Perpetua that's remaking reality, Batman who Laughs is likely going up against her and Apex Lex Luthor (Perpetua had Apex Predator soldiers who later split into humans and martians) for Year of the Villain, and DClock will maybe factor into that but probably not because who even gives half a poo poo anymore when the HBO Watchmen series is doing far more interesting, daring work than this lame and over-wrought thing.

Dont forget Bendis is now a wrecking ball through the company along with Snyder.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I spent a few hours catching up on the Bendis Superman books the other day.

I fuckin hate it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mr Hootington posted:

Dont forget Bendis is now a wrecking ball through the company along with Snyder.
Oh right.

Also DC can't leave well enough alone and the 2020 crossover is going to be a Multiverse Crisis with the Dark Multiverse, so maybe Batman Who Laughs gets Perpetua powers or something and Darkest Nights METAL will be the MOST IMPORTANT EVENT in the DCU for a while.

There's been a line of Tales from the Dark Multiverse that touches on a bunch of popular events (Knightfall, Death of Superman, Blackest Night, Infinite Crisis, The Judas Contract) and introduces characters that will probably be featured in the crossover.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Beerdeer posted:

What the hell is going on with the DC universe?

Superman gives a nice summary in Morrison's latest issue of Blackstars.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 13, 2019

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I spent a few hours catching up on the Bendis Superman books the other day.

I fuckin hate it.

My man! :hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Nevvy Z posted:

Superman gives a nice summary in Morrison's latest issue of Blackstars.

Sometimes Morrison comes across as a comic book fan who likes comics "ironically". The above feels like one of those times.