Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Aphex- posted:

I'm gonna go vote tomorrow and vote labour HARD.

Every election i wake up and open palm slam a vote into the ballot box. Its labour and right then and there i start doing the moves alongside with the main character, jeremy corbyn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
We now go live to Johnson's campaign tour with good morning britain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DJ6YvXyixw

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Ghost-Slug posted:

While I'm posting, is there a thread consensus on whether The Conversation is any good?

The good: it points you to interesting articles on things that aren't covered by other outlets. Often popsci, but some sci at least.

The bad: their political coverage is both sides liberalism with heavy doses of civility.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Angepain posted:

Also in general the scottish gains are due to the tories positioning themselves as The Only Stop The Indyref Party every single election to the exclusion of all other policies. Strangely no mention of Brexit on my tory leaflets, funny that...

Yeah, this is what I think too. The Tories have a strong position as the unionist party in Scotland, and in 2017 being the pro-Brexit party was a boon for them too, because they hadn't completely hosed it up yet. There are plenty of people in Scotland for whom those issues are very important. But I think Brexit is going to hurt them really badly this election. I expect to see them lose the gains they made last time :getin:

Scotlab sucks, but Labour's popularity nationally should help. SNP will make the most gains in Scotland I think.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Watched the you are not alone vid and caught up on a few pages.

Crying status; happening.

I am dreading that black hole in my stomach on friday morning, mostly cos it lives there every other loving morning already, but super stoked for the possible relief of good news. I just want some hope that things can change for the better, that goodness can be recognised through the hate they throw and the lies they tell.

Anyway. Vote Labour!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I'm incredibly anxious and incredibly thankful for this community. I've been very emotional the last 2 days and it'll probably only get worse. This makes no sense because I know that this election is only a small step. It'll help a lot of people if Labour get in, but it's only the start. Make no mistake, there's a storm coming. It could be tomorrow, it could be in a few years when Labour win or it could be in 50 years when the climate crisis hits us in the face, but it's coming. At that point, it will be either us or the nazis and it's our duty to make sure that those not yet born don't scorn us for not acting. Do what you can, even if it's very little. Some of us can't help. That's okay. You're all precious comrades and knowing you're with us in spirit is enough. It sustains us because communities are important. It might not be on Thursday (although it loving just might be!), but we will win. It's a matter of keeping the torch lit until we get there and putting in the work to help those less fortunate than ourselves.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
^^^^^

Just remeber, we're fighting the system, everything is stacked against us by those with money and power - the fact that we're even in spitting distance of a win is a minor miricle.
If on friday the Tories have a majority, remeber this, and continue the fight.

As Picard once said "It is possible to do your best and still lose, this is not weakness, this is life."

This and the phone stealing are the kind of thing that make and break campaigns in the last hours.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Dec 11, 2019

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Grey Hunter posted:

^^^^^

Just remeber, we're fighting the system, everything is stacked against us by those with money and power - the fact that we're even in spitting distance of a win is a minor miricle.

As Picard once said "It is possible to do your best and still lose, this is not weakness, this is life."

This and the phone stealing are the kind of thing that make and break campaigns in the last hours.

Mirror reporting that the aid who muttered "for fucks sakes" got pushy with the reporter & cameraman

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Smeg head hides in fridge

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I can't get over how much of a wreck Boris looks these days

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It's all the cocaine

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Aphex- posted:

I'm gonna go vote tomorrow and vote labour HARD.

Gonna tie my pencil to my boner and make my mark that way! And it will be MY pencil! It wouldn't be nice to do that with the communal pencil.

Also I learned my lesson last time. Did you know those pencils are tied to the booth itself? Quite the shock when I tried to leave, let me tell you!

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'd forgotten about him! I assumed he was long gone. Bottomleys used to be in the news all the time. I had a boss who was somewhat enamoured of the fragrant Virginia. She's now a baroness.

"I'm an evil tory bigot", you mean? :cheeky:

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I was supposed to be "working from home" on Friday but now various people have put meetings in :argh:

Now i have to go in and pretend to be awake

I've got a 9am class Friday so I'm just going to curl up in a dark corner of the classroom and hope I'm not asked to contribute.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'm not going to be paying attention to what happens on this Thursday. Just going to log off of everything at 9.50 and not even check until much much later.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Qwertycoatl posted:

I can't get over how much of a wreck Boris looks these days

Rember, his MO is "gently caress up, then hide until it blows over"
Except hes the Prime Minister.
In and Election Campaign.

So he fucks up, then the next day, he has to go out and meet people who are asking about the fuckup. then he fucks up trying to cover it

Imagine what another 5 years of being PM will do to him!

The wife and I were watching the news this morning, and every shot of JC is with crowds, and every shot of BJ is in a building with noone around.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm going to watch this poo poo as it happens.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Communist Thoughts posted:

its loving terrifyingly close though, look at that tory swing in 2017, what are the scots doing???

The SNP could never hope to maintain the momentum they had in 2015, Scotlab hadn't recovered from their terrible indiref campaign (still haven't afai can see) and Ruth Davidson was, for a tory, charismatic, relatable and not a blithering Etonian toff, allowing the Ruth Davidson Party to make big gains in the most shameful Scottish election since 1983.

I really hope losing her will make a significant difference.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Anybody else hit that point where you can't eat and just feel sick the entire time?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Is there any video/tweet that doesn't have a 30 second advert attached to the front?

Can't believe I'm going to spend the last day before polling signal boosting piers fuckin morgan

E: Artist Taxi Driver you're good people

https://twitter.com/chunkymark/status/1204682566713954310

Doccykins fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Dec 11, 2019

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

quote:

The first, bitter taste of that terrible illusion: hope.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Azza Bamboo posted:

OK but what about election day

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/multiplebears/status/1204670561013653504?s=19

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

^^^^^

Spot on.

Please try not to speculate yourselves into a panic. It's less than two days until we know how this will turn out. Two sleeps, if you can sleep. And please try to. Look after your health, and if you think exposing yourself to :derp: on election night will not be good for you, then don't do it. It's not gonna tell you anything useful until the exit poll happens, and even then it's not certain until the count is finished.

But if you think you'll have fun and it will be hilarious, go right ahead :D

Just don't view it as useful information for the concerned.

And regardless of the outcome, we're not done here. We're taking this country back for the many, and we're taking this world back for everyone. The Tories have thrown everything they have at us and burned all of their resources, and they are broken. If they're not truly finished after Thursday, we'll just smash them again because we are just getting started. And if we win on Thursday, we can be gladdened, but we still have a lot of work to do.

The difference will be that we know we're making progress.

We cannot be stopped.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
god I slept like 4 hours lmao

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/genuineplacebo/status/1204020452181630977?s=19

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

stong and table

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Stong and stabble

E: ^ you bastard :argh:

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Sanford posted:

Anybody else hit that point where you can't eat and just feel sick the entire time?

Take a break from all of this, please. You want to do good, and you are, but you must look after yourself. Eat little bits when you can make yourself do so. A single grape (or whatever) can get your digestion going and help with a little blood sugar boost to make having more food easier. Get some real food inside you because crap alone will make you feel worse, but don't feel bad if you need a little crap. This is a very difficult time.

You're awesome, take care of yourself. We've got this :glomp:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gove stonk

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

I think this is quite a big deal... The second bit I mean.

https://twitter.com/centrist_phone/status/1204569918060027904

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

From @YouGov data. If I was in CCHQ this would scare me tonight. An additional Labour surge is happening fast and late: those last three dots. No way of knowing if it’s sustainable at this stage but key to watch.

https://twitter.com/jamesjohnson252/status/1204534453600686083

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Azza Bamboo posted:

I'm not going to watch this poo poo, as it happens :D

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
More well wishings to you all from a Nordic country, no matter what happens it's been unreal to look at an election and dare feel hope for something other than tepid status-quo keeping. Best I've been able to do was argue with a british uncle who seemed interested in the Labour manifesto yet keeps posting dumb anti-labour/Corbyn poo poo. He's mostly ignored my rebuttals rather than argue, but last night I argued with him that if Corbyn somehow turns out as bad as he believes he is, it's just one man to remove from power and that's that, if Tories win and the NHS debacle turns out real, there's no bloody way to stop it since they're all in on it. I feel like that gave him pause, might never know if it made a difference, but I'll be very happy if I could make the tiniest possible difference over there :unsmith:

I don't feel like a similar movement is happening here anytime soon, but you've all made me a lot more aware and angry in a good way at things, and if an opportunity to become proper politically active springs up here, I have all of you to thank for it. It's a hell of an uphill battle, but gently caress 'em, we'll win it eventually.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Bozza's got some real skills to start a fire like that inside a refrigerator :stare:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

ZoninSilver posted:

More well wishings to you all from a Nordic country, no matter what happens it's been unreal to look at an election and dare feel hope for something other than tepid status-quo keeping. Best I've been able to do was argue with a british uncle who seemed interested in the Labour manifesto yet keeps posting dumb anti-labour/Corbyn poo poo. He's mostly ignored my rebuttals rather than argue, but last night I argued with him that if Corbyn somehow turns out as bad as he believes he is, it's just one man to remove from power and that's that, if Tories win and the NHS debacle turns out real, there's no bloody way to stop it since they're all in on it. I feel like that gave him pause, might never know if it made a difference, but I'll be very happy if I could make the tiniest possible difference over there :unsmith:

I don't feel like a similar movement is happening here anytime soon, but you've all made me a lot more aware and angry in a good way at things, and if an opportunity to become proper politically active springs up here, I have all of you to thank for it. It's a hell of an uphill battle, but gently caress 'em, we'll win it eventually.

Not finnish then. Because the last election there seems to have gone very well for the left, for young people and for the climate cause.

Worst off I guess would be denmark, but then just lol if you're danish anyway

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Zalakwe posted:

I think this is quite a big deal... The second bit I mean.

https://twitter.com/centrist_phone/status/1204569918060027904

Yeah, using 2015 youth turnout in a model is just stupid and this carries very hopeful implications for our vote share.

IIRC, you have professional experience in this sort of thing in politics, and you've generally been relatively cautious about Labour's chances and polling? So you thinking this is a big deal is a good sign ;)

Also, extra love for yer babby, Zabby! :kimchi:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sanford posted:

https://twitter.com/multiplebears/status/1204670561013653504

Some people haven't...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Have two days' worth of thread to catch up with still, but, what a beautiful gift to wake up to. :allears:

Also yesterday received a Brexit party leaflet addressed directly to my very obviously non-British name. So not only someone's leaking info off the non-open electoral register, but also leaving enough of it out to the point where EU-immigrants get encouraged to vote for Brexit. In a constituency that had 20k+ Lab majority last time. lol.