Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

the Victorian emergency app seems okay, but I've never had to rely on it like cartoon would have needed.

like I've seen smoke pop up a few hills over and the app notify me straight away. Last summer when we had more fires around it would give different levels of warning relating to fires and they'd redraw geographically boundaries on the fly and people would get notification and updates from advice, to watch and act alerts, etc.

I'm semi rural where I am, just inside a bushfire zone. Dunno if anyone here has had any further furthermore experiences in vic with its emergency app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Amoeba102 posted:

“FUCKEN AHAHAHAHA SUCK poo poo.” - the article.

Written by Ben from Boonta Vista.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

https://www.climate-change-performance-index.org/country/australia

Climate policy score: 0.00 out of 100.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Fantastic. Great move. Well done Angus.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/noplaceforsheep/status/1204523366138306560?s=19

https://twitter.com/RonniSalt/status/1204568291152297984?s=19

Time to weep

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

“EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A CASSETTE INTO THE SLOT. ITS THE BOOK OF REVELATIONS AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, JOHN. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD.”

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I'm fairly certain it was Morrison going 'how good are jobs'

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Thanks for all the support.

I forgot to mention. The fire took out all the local landlines and there is no mobile coverage on my side of the valley. The fire was watch and act and there had been some completely scatter gun general txt warnings. I received on 7/11 at 9:37 pm (AKA no way to get said message until after I left home at ~ 8 am on the 8th. "NSWRFS - Multiple fires in area. Potential threat to homes Nth of Oxley Hwy, South of Kempsey Rd & West of Pacific Hwy. Check https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au or 1800679737"

Get back to me when YOU figure out where Kempsey Rd. might be. None the less, nothing in the above especially https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au gave the slightest clue as to where the threat might have been to people in the upper Collombatti.

Helpfully on 12/11 at 1:32 pm I got "NSWRFS EMERGENCY BUSH FIRE WARNING - Bush fire West of the Pacific Hwy in Kempsey LGA- Seek shelter as the fire arrives. Check https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au or 1800679737" Even with a generous interpretation that is everyone west of the Pacific Hwy in the entire shire :rolleyes:

Thoughts and prayers.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

This is normal for summer, when parliament isn't sitting.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

Hollandia posted:

Written by Ben from Boonta Vista.

Ben McLeay is fantastic writer. He used to write for me at SBS and he was a loving godsend for comment pieces, wrote some of the best Backburner (SBS satire news, like Beetoota Advocate) and most importantly would always let us use his picture when we needed a 'guy with no friends' image for the header.

Talented guy, everyone should read/listen to his stuff.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Fuckin hell let it all burn down

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/dec/11/drug-deaths-inquest-gladys-berejiklian-says-she-is-closing-the-door-on-pill-testing

quote:

The New South Wales government will ignore the bulk of the recommendations from a landmark inquest into drug deaths at music festivals, with the premier, Gladys Berejiklian, saying she is “closing the door” on pill testing.
On Wednesday, the government announced its response to the findings of deputy state coroner Harriet Grahame’s inquest into six drug-related deaths of young people at music festivals in the state.
Handed down last month, the long-awaited report recommended the government introduce a pill-testing trial, limit the use of strip-searches at music festivals to cases of suspected drug supply and stop the use of sniffer dogs.
But the government has ignored the majority of the recommendations from the inquest, instead saying it would introduce drug amnesty bins at music festivals to allow festival-goers in the state to discard illegal substances “without fear of prosecution or penalty”.
“What we want to do is send a strong message out to young people which is the most important one: do not panic if you see police officers, if you see anything that worries you because you’ve got pills on your person or your friends do, just throw the pill away, no questions asked,” she said.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Maybe if she wanted young people to not panic when they see a cop they should fire all the pedos

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

What are the chances using a bin gets you photographed and targeted for a search later in the day

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

People approaching the bins will be stopped, searched and charged before they get a chance.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Can we just put the cops in the bin instead?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

“EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A CASSETTE INTO THE SLOT. ITS THE BOOK OF REVELATIONS AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, JOHN. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD.”

Wouldn't this make more sense with the Archangel Michael?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
:irony:

https://twitter.com/georgefwoods/status/1204265395177152512?s=19

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/oz_f/status/1204614722684739584

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

my hate is purer than ever

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Yeah, but where do we rank on the PM wasting taxpayer funds removing unisex toilets rankings? You know, the stuff Quiet Australians really care about.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-06/how-climate-change-has-impacted-your-life/11766018

I mean we all know it's bad, but good god, that look ahead to 2050... oof.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

the door is closed on pill testing. you open the door. inside is a nsw policeman strip searching a 15 year old boy. "lift up your dick and balls, and show me your gooch[free jbp]", he says. gladys is crying, but you can't see her through the smoke. the volunteers have been fighting fires for eight hundred days straight and there's no pay in sight. the coal mines are burning. the coal mines are burning. the coal mines are burning.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
God, can you stop sucking JBP's dick for one second, he's only gone for a week.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Got a little emotional yesterday when I looked up from dinner in Canberra to see the smoke had drifted in again. Is this the future for my son, and for all children? Every summer just endless smoke, having to stay inside, god forbid camping lest you get caught in a fire zone, etc?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

abigserve posted:

Got a little emotional yesterday when I looked up from dinner in Canberra to see the smoke had drifted in again. Is this the future for my son, and for all children? Every summer just endless smoke, having to stay inside, god forbid camping lest you get caught in a fire zone, etc?

Don't worry, if it literally never rains again there won't be any fires

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

https://twitter.com/MehreenFaruqi/status/1204654388947472384

♪ dont read the replies ♫

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Starshark posted:

:emptyquote:

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Starshark posted:

it could have happened too you, it could happen to any one of us - anidav cannot save us

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Sooo today I listened to a boomer colleague talk about those darn Greenies causing the fires. He's a good guy on a personal level, just you know lovely boomer views.

He responds to a letter to the editor in the usual Murdoch shitwipe about Greens causing fires.
"Yeah about time someone spoke up about them."
But Colleague the Greenies don't cause this.
"They do, they have stopped back burning. Why don't they try fighting these fires like the heroic firies from the RFS?"
I am the office Greeny and I do fight the fires. Green-thinkers are not anti-back burn.
"So why did you block them?"
We do not, the safety thresholds for back-burning have been the same for the last 25 or so years. The environment has changed and there are now smaller windows for safety, the RFS doesn't have the time to get everything now days. Source: RFS officers I work with on said fires.
"So let the Farmers burn their properties instead of saying no it's protected!"
They can, they get a permit and they can do so with support of the RFS and/or Parks.
"See they need a permit! Just let them burn they know what they are doing!"
Do they? One of the last two big fires we have had was because someone tried to backburn on their own and it went out of control.
"But the RFS have ones that go out of control all the time."
No they don't. Very few do, and the ones that do don't cause this level of damage because the RFS is trained to do this.
"So Greenies need to let them burn more then, relax those draconian restrictions."
The restrictions are the RFS's own ones for safety of their crews. The environment is the issue not them.
"!!CLIMATE CHANGE DENIAL!!"
So mate when it's not the Greenies fault or the RFS's fault it's no ones fault and we just have to deal with it?
"Yeah, but we should relax the rules."
That's dangerous to the RFS.
"Who cares? Let them do it."
Force them to do it you mean? Now we are endangering frieies lives because we can't fix out poo poo in other sectors?
"Shut up Gridlocked."

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

He's a good guy on a personal level

?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Glad to see my tactic of just walking away when they start on that poo poo is paying the same dividends as engaging.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
trigger them on affirmative action until you can call hr

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I actually think this guy is going to get fired even though he has the only permanent position at his level because he can't shut up about how women are ruining everything in a workplace that is like 90% women.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Lol, I work in health care, just wait until you both are under obligation to help them and are stuck in a room with them and their opinions.

Also they seem to think that if Labor get in they will take their health services away? This is the strongest evidence of multiple simultaneous timelines I have yet to encounter.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gridlocked posted:

He's a good guy on a personal level, just you know lovely boomer views.
So he’s not actually a good guy

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
My feet and lungs hurt but I'm glad I came and dragged my boomer dad (who is good, because boomers are an artificially vilified subsection of the population targeted to cause infighting) along to the climate strike

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Starshark posted:

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Graic Gabtar posted:

it could have happened too you, it could happen to any one of us - anidav cannot save us

I try my best