Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Looks like all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, speaking as a vivid tramper in NZ you goddamn take activity warnings super loving seriously. A while ago when Tongariro woke up they pushed notifications ages in advance and you can be sure as poo poo I went nowhere near it. There are signs all over the park on what to do if Lahar flows are coming etc. It's now missing a chunk off the side and a (now-closed) hut in the area has a huge boulder sitting where the bunks used to be.

The tourists are only mildly silly for signing those waivers, modern people are accustomed to signing everything away without realizing the implications. The operators otoh...

Socialized
Oct 27, 2010
It reminds me of how scientists made repeated warnings before Mount Saint Helens erupted but after a week they were ignored.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

everydayfalls posted:

https://i.imgur.com/hAtxy8w.mp4

With sound! The screaming at the end is just school children being children right? :magical:

Somebody getting zapped by a power line wouldn't be able to scream, I'm guessing.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Varkk posted:

To add to this I heard today that GNS (The agency responsible for monitoring volcanoes and earthquakes etc here) had pulled their staff from the island due to the increased activity. You would think that when the volcanologists are moving away from the active volcano you would think twice before taking a tour group to the crater. The injuries are sounding quite horrific as well with many with severe burns inside their throats/lungs.

Currently it's the news of people with burns to 95 percent of their bodies and the need to import 1.2 million cubic centimetres of skin for grafts that is freaking me out. Somehow I thought a volcanic eruption would be more of an "either you're dead or you're fine" situation.

The tour company had a policy that they didn't need to consult anyone if the alert level was two, only if it went up to three. Two is the highest it goes before an eruption. Three is an eruption.

Also freaked out by the helicopter pilots who keep pushing to go back in to retrieve the corpses despite ongoing volcanic activity.

edit: maybe square centimetres. Whatever, a shitload of skin.

slinkimalinki fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 11, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that's a cube of skin 106cm on a side

that's a lot of skin

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

They probably won't make it anyway. Worth trying, but a losing battle. No skin off my rear end.

Christ that is bad, even for me.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

madeintaipei posted:

They probably won't make it anyway. Worth trying, but a losing battle.

I'm not sure I'd want to make it in that situation, if it were me.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I work in the second largest burn center in the US. Our skin bank is, in total, less than 1/40th that. It's a very short-term storage item.

Queen Combat fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Dec 11, 2019

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Sagebrush posted:

that's a lot of skin

Or 106 Cassandra O'Briens.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Queen Combat posted:

...skin bank...

Probably not what I'm imagining, but that's a hell of a mental image.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Queen Combat posted:

…skin bank…

right clicks, renames folder

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Sagebrush posted:

that's a lot of skin

Ah, D&D.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I thought you had to graft peoples own skin onto themselves. Is it possible to transplant it from other people?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

depending on what it's used for you can wash all the cells out of skin and use just the collagen structure.

you can even do that with fish skin.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/brazilian-city-uses-tilapia-fish-skin-treat-burn-victims

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LOG7-2bNhQ
(videos of burn injuries obviously)

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The Lone Badger posted:

I thought you had to graft peoples own skin onto themselves. Is it possible to transplant it from other people?

You can get skin from the deceased just like any other organ. Pretty useful when there isn't a whole lot of skin left on a patient to harvest.

Dunno about live skin donor but that sounds horrid on the donor.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Do they use previously fat people skin? Like all the loose poo poo they cut off someone who had a gastric bypass and lost a couple hundred pounds? Sounds like a decent recycle.

I thought they grew skin in labs from old foreskins (vaguely recall some science segment on TV like a decade ago about it).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

people exaggerate how much penile skin grows a lot.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The volcanology professor from my old university has been on about eight different news reports I've seen in the last 36 hours. On each one he has basically said "I have no idea why people were allowed to go there, I went there 20 years ago and never want to go back and it's literally my job"

If the volcanologists won't go there, don't go there.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Memento posted:

The volcanology professor from my old university has been on about eight different news reports I've seen in the last 36 hours. On each one he has basically said "I have no idea why people were allowed to go there, I went there 20 years ago and never want to go back and it's literally my job"

If the volcanologists won't go there, don't go there.

Meh, volcanologists hate fun!

That Dang Lizard
Jul 13, 2016

what; an idiomt
My mum used to work with one of the people killed by the volcano, it also killed his stepdaughter and his wife is one of the "lucky" ones who's only in critical condition with massive burns. Even if she survives it's going to be a pretty lovely Christmas time.

Hopefully the tour company get nailed to the wall over this.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Where I would not want to be: anywhere near an anchor being let go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7pRfix_sNg

Apparently anchor chains aren't actually attached to ships and there's usually only a hand-operated braking mechanism that prevents the entire thing from just violently throwing itself overboard (As the video shows).

My favourite part of this video is the Admiral in charge on the ship at the time replying in the comments, people theorycrafting about what happened, people upset no one was hurt because the chain was expensive etc.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I'm not sure if this video will actually show up with the link, but don't watch it. EVen if it does show up.

Read this first: Guy gets crushed and most likely killed. Another guy gets at least horribly maimed.

Before copying and pasting.
:siren::nws::nms: https://www.facebook.com/gary.d.walker.56/videos/10214916854530909/:nms::nws::siren:

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 11, 2019

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

The Lone Badger posted:

Extensive burns are a LONG, long healing process. You generally start with pig skin (xenograft) as a cover to give the wound bed time to heal and granulate, though the pig skin will all need to be surgically removed. Then you move to cadaver or donated skin (allograft), which (again) can't integrate but is way better than pig skin when it comes to the "not rotting every four days" department. Then you move to an autograft, your own skin, which most burn patients say is many times more painful than the burn itself because harvesting the autograft involves cutting the skin off at that magic point where it's 1: vascular (deep enough to have blood vessels) but 2: not all the way through the thickest nerve layer. So they're cutting right at the actual most possibly painful point to avoid the most damage.

Some burns take long enough to heal, burn coverage is extensive enough, and even autografts can fail to "take," that we end up harvesting the same area every 2 or 3 weeks a few times over because it's the only good area (and skin grows pretty darn fast).

Cheers!

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

I'm not sure if this video will actually show up with the link, but don't watch it. EVen if it does show up.

This is a guy getting his head smashed in by a collapsing crane while cutting a tree.

Why do you just post an explicit link without even describing what it is?

Griz
May 21, 2001

Queen Combat posted:

Extensive burns are a LONG, long healing process.

... and that's the current state of burn treatment. the old method was to pump them full of morphine, scrape off any dead tissue, and then give the patient a bleach bath to prevent infection.

Dax Cowart died earlier this year. he lost his hands, eyes, and most of his hearing in a propane explosion in 1973, recovered after being treated against his will, and eventually got a law degree and spent the rest of his life advocating for patients' autonomy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t know if that’s more or less impressive than Paul Alexander, who studied and practiced law from an iron lung.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Griz posted:

... and that's the current state of burn treatment. the old method was to pump them full of morphine, scrape off any dead tissue, and then give the patient a bleach bath to prevent infection.

Still kinda beats the older way from a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, which was peel/pick the burnt pieces off, wrap em in leather and strap em into a mobile burn unit respirator and just tell em "Stay angry, bitch".

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqpPpaOe-bg

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Queen Combat posted:

Extensive burns are a LONG, long healing process. You generally start with pig skin (xenograft) as a cover to give the wound bed time to heal and granulate, though the pig skin will all need to be surgically removed. Then you move to cadaver or donated skin (allograft), which (again) can't integrate but is way better than pig skin when it comes to the "not rotting every four days" department. Then you move to an autograft, your own skin, which most burn patients say is many times more painful than the burn itself because harvesting the autograft involves cutting the skin off at that magic point where it's 1: vascular (deep enough to have blood vessels) but 2: not all the way through the thickest nerve layer. So they're cutting right at the actual most possibly painful point to avoid the most damage.

Some burns take long enough to heal, burn coverage is extensive enough, and even autografts can fail to "take," that we end up harvesting the same area every 2 or 3 weeks a few times over because it's the only good area (and skin grows pretty darn fast).

Cheers!

With people who have burns to 95 percent of their bodies, is there enough skin to harvest? Do they just go back to the same area 20 times?

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Queen Combat posted:

Cheers!

Is there some piece of paper I can sign that says "If I end up like that just shoot me full of enough Fentanyl to send me off in a beautiful dream"?

Because gently caress that, all of it.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Vanagoon posted:

Is there some piece of paper I can sign that says "If I end up like that just shoot me full of enough Fentanyl to send me off in a beautiful dream"?

Because gently caress that, all of it.

Here in Canada we do have Medically Assisted Death, but you need to be cognizant of the choice during the time you are making the choice. Which means that you can do so as long as you're not suffering from something like dementia, in a coma, or anything else that prevents your from communicating your wish to die.

Advance Directives that allow you to pre-establish that you wish to die under specific circumstances is something that isn't currently in place, though many advocate for it, myself included. Being trapped in your own body and unable to communicate a wish to pass on sounds like a special kind of hell.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Carth Dookie posted:

Do they use previously fat people skin? Like all the loose poo poo they cut off someone who had a gastric bypass and lost a couple hundred pounds? Sounds like a decent recycle.

I thought they grew skin in labs from old foreskins (vaguely recall some science segment on TV like a decade ago about it).

That wouldn't work. The skin is cut at the correct location for the person getting surgery which is not usually a good location for someone receiving a skin graft plus the fact that it's not usually the healthiest skin or necessarily a large patch of it. A lot of times they remove long thin strips from specific areas. With a corpse, you can cut a big rectangle.

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

slinkimalinki posted:

Currently it's the news of people with burns to 95 percent of their bodies and the need to import 1.2 million cubic centimetres of skin for grafts that is freaking me out. Somehow I thought a volcanic eruption would be more of an "either you're dead or you're fine" situation.

The tour company had a policy that they didn't need to consult anyone if the alert level was two, only if it went up to three. Two is the highest it goes before an eruption. Three is an eruption.

Also freaked out by the helicopter pilots who keep pushing to go back in to retrieve the corpses despite ongoing volcanic activity.

edit: maybe square centimetres. Whatever, a shitload of skin.

The descriptions of volcanic burns from mount saint helens survivors were just about as bad as an injury could get. Every inch of their skin was packed with abrasive ash that had to be removed with incredibly painful scrubbing that even painkillers couldn't cover.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
at that point just toss me back into the volcano

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Synthbuttrange posted:

people exaggerate how much penile skin grows a lot.
I thought it grows 2 to 3 square centimeters a week. This is very unsettling.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

wesleywillis posted:

:siren::nws::nms:REMOVED THE LINK BECAUSE WTF THIS ISN'T A SNUFF THREAD:nms::nws::siren:

I don't want to see it, but what is it?

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 11, 2019

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Blindeye posted:

Lurking Haro posted:

This is a guy getting his head smashed in by a collapsing crane while cutting a tree.

Why do you just post an explicit link without even describing what it is?

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Blindeye posted:

its like a guy up a tree with a chainsaw for a while then boom out of nowhere crane to the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Fumble posted:

its like a guy up a tree with a chainsaw for a while then boom out of nowhere crane to the head.

Jesus Christ.