Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

:unsmith:
Did they manage to tape five episodes? I don't know what meds he's on, but it's more than six months since diagnosis so it's all playing with the house's money now.

yep, five eps no problem. He mentioned that in addition to chemo he was taking two pills and one injection a day, but he didn't elaborate further. Jimmy of Clue Crew fame heavily hinted that they're taping the GOAT tournament next week, so he should be able to power through there. I'm optimistic for the future of the show even past that. Hoping Alex can finish out his contract and enjoy retirement for a while.

spoiler for today's game:
Nice games from the champ the last couple days, excited to continue watching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Jennifer is great and I love it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Some FJ controversy.

https://twitter.com/jenniferquail/status/1204569020827082754

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Yeah I thought the same thing at first, but that's come up before with football since the season starts in August and the super bowl isn't until the following February, so my brain just went, "1970 was Midnight Cowboy which makes no sense, but 1971 was Patton so it must be that date weirdness again."

The year was far less important than the quote for that clue, though.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah, the year being ambiguous is potentially a problem, but if the rest of the clue is specific enough to make one interpretation impossible, problem solved.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Go Jennifer forever.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

Go Jennifer forever.

The one competitor that kept it from being a runaway tonight was great, so I felt bad for her, but yeah Jennifer does loving rule.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

one of the better games in a long time.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Today's show:

Holy poo poo, Kirby was visibly pissed-off during Double Jeopardy, especially when Dagmar got the last Daily Double. I didn't expect her to have a monster run because she face-planted badly in the Jeopardy round yesterday and got saved by going ham in Double, but holy poo poo, she gave some boneheaded responses today.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

abelwingnut posted:

one of the better games in a long time.

Sounds like I missed a good one because of a Chinatown appointment after a job interview yesterday. Looked a real close game, going off of what I saw on J-Archive and Fikkle Fame.

But Jennifer had a helluva run and we’ll def be seeing her at the next TOC with Jason. Wonder where she ranks now on the money won records list.

Hope today’s game is as good, and going by Timby’s post, it just might be.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I haven't seen tonight's episode but (spoilering since it involves stuff from earlier in the week) Kirby's win ties the record for the most female champions in a row at seven.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
GOOD

gently caress OFF BACK TO YOUR PUFFINS

PUFFIN LOVER

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Timby posted:

Today's show:

Holy poo poo, Kirby was visibly pissed-off during Double Jeopardy, especially when Dagmar got the last Daily Double. I didn't expect her to have a monster run because she face-planted badly in the Jeopardy round yesterday and got saved by going ham in Double, but holy poo poo, she gave some boneheaded responses today.

Ok yeah, that was tough to watch. Like the new champ though. Shame about Dagmar’s Final Jeopardy response, she was doing pretty well there until her penultimate wager on that Daily Double there made it a much closer game.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 18, 2019

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Tonight's contestants are really aggravating with their incorrect guesses

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I don't know what this guy's victory move is supposed to be but it looks like he's jerking off two large horses over his shoulders

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Vulture Culture posted:

I don't know what this guy's victory move is supposed to be but it looks like he's jerking off two large horses over his shoulders

We said the exact same thing....

I'm a bit more concerned by his weirdness during the intro. I have no idea what that was, but the first thing I thought....

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

that was a drat tough final. i came up with cs lewis, dahl, milne, and wodehouse off the bat and would've marked out dahl first as i thought he was danish or norwegian or something else. probably would've gone with wodehouse in the end.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I landed on Dr. Seuss immediately and failed to even think of any alternatives. E: oh was the category like British guys? Didn't even notice that.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Weird, I'm on the other side I guess and thought that was insanely easy. I thought "scrumdiddlyumptious" was a dead giveaway.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was amazed how many of the regular questions no one got.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Weird, I'm on the other side I guess and thought that was insanely easy. I thought "scrumdiddlyumptious" was a dead giveaway.

I was a moron and thought Dr Seuss. My wife went “I got it” immediately , and after she told me Suess was wrong I got Dahl.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Ditto, the year matched up & Dahl was British. Seuss was American so that wouldn't make sense at all

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

in the interview he explained that his hand gesture was WC for Wildcats, his college mascot

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Is Alex wearing a wig now? His hair looks.....off.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Yeah, since they came back from the break.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Kristin had a real rough game.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

If I was drew on the Christmas Eve episode I'd be livid. Losing when you bet right in third but the first place person bet wrong lmao

Also Barbara had gimme Doubles and bet like a baby and still got them wrong. She shoulda had that game wrapped up practically halfway through Double Jeopardy.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Today's defending champ, Alex, played one the dumbest Double Jeopardy rounds I've ever seen. Grabbed defeat from the jaws of victory.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Today's defending champ, Alex, played one the dumbest Double Jeopardy rounds I've ever seen. Grabbed defeat from the jaws of victory.
That whole time, all I saw in my mind's eye was Wolf Blitzer at -$4600

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Welp, guessing I'm not getting the call this season. Just saw Monday's episode featuring a different white guy named Scott with a beard and long hair. gently caress this would have been a fantastic episode for me, if only they'd chosen me over him to fit that slot.

There was even an entire category "Space Science", literally the subject on one of my undergrad degrees. Rubbing salt in the wound was putting one of the DDs in it on one of the easiest possible clues; it's one of those categories where I would wager everything no matter what the score situation. I even got final, probably would have been a great game for me if I was good with the buzzer :(

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
The Greatest Tournament starts on Tuesday - we had to find the show under a different name on our DVR (YoutubeTV) to make sure it will record. Worth checking on all of them.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Poque posted:

The Greatest Tournament starts on Tuesday - we had to find the show under a different name on our DVR (YoutubeTV) to make sure it will record. Worth checking on all of them.

I appreciate you letting me know. Set it up myself.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Yeah thanks for that, would never have thought of it.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
What's going to happen with the structure of the episodes. I get it's a best of seven tournament finals style games, but do there's guys have fourteen different new things to say about themselves? Are we getting classic Jeopardy clips? They going to play that drunk Alex blooper reel?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

What's going to happen with the structure of the episodes. I get it's a best of seven tournament finals style games, but do there's guys have fourteen different new things to say about themselves? Are we getting classic Jeopardy clips? They going to play that drunk Alex blooper reel?

From what I understand it's the equivalent of two full games per hour, so basically just the normal amount of playing and apparently a few lovely extras about all the people involved but not too much hopefully because gently caress me if I didn't hate that part of the all stars tournament.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

HookShot posted:

From what I understand it's the equivalent of two full games per hour, so basically just the normal amount of playing and apparently a few lovely extras about all the people involved but not too much hopefully because gently caress me if I didn't hate that part of the all stars tournament.

Ugh. The dudes are going to be setting speed records, no reason they can do some deep cuts and sneak a round of High Rollers or Classic Concentration for the fun of it and still have a 44 minute show.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Was... was that an Attack on Titan page? :negative:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

packetmantis posted:

Was... was that an Attack on Titan page? :negative:

Yup.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

are they gonna be airing regular eps the days the GOAT tournament is airing too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

you broke my grill posted:

are they gonna be airing regular eps the days the GOAT tournament is airing too?

I doubt it.