Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

referring to earlier conversation, here is my attempt at hiding a misaligned base computer

here is the hot-air balloon base from last weekend

this is me parking like an rear end in a top hat

Looks fine to me! (My own experiments with base computers ended badly: My new biodome farming moloch has the base computer floating in mid air, inside the main connection tunnel between the teleporter room and biodome sector 1. I made screenshots, but didn't think of moving them off my PS4. I'll to remember to do this on Sunday.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Libluini posted:

Just to make things clear for newbies: He's talking about your space suit's inventory. Your ship's inventory can be expanded by money (bad) or by buying and then immediately scrapping ships until one of the tons of poo poo you get this way turns out to be an expansion item (good, since buying new ship inventory gets incredibly expensive fast, like 100+ million credits per slot expensive)

Expanding your ship's inventory is only restricted by how long you are willing to grind and by how many ships visit the system you're in (good economy = better)

I've had the best success with ships that cost from 800k to 2mil (over is wasting money really). The 550k ships only very rarely give modules. If anyone's done testing and can confirm differently, I'd love to hear it.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Glazius posted:

If you've unlocked biodomes, they now have a ceiling console to harvest all (16 - 3 per door) plants in the dome.

I have a base with a bunch and even with the harvest all button, the extra spacing between each unit makes it take just as long to harvest as my new base. Granted, I've got them elevated so there's only a bottom door, so I do have to pause at each one to line up at the button instead of just mashing E while running between planters. I suppose I could make a long corridor with a single door into each biodome that would probably harvest quicker.

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch
I'm scrappin' the garbage scows that the game saddled me with early on and I'm hyped about it. Breaking down a C-class gets me poo poo like Once-Useful Springs and Handful of Cogs and whatnot and I know I'm supposed to sell them, but is it only higher class ships that break down into useful stuff like storage upgrade mods? Which ones do?

edit:

Ambaire posted:

I've had the best success with ships that cost from 800k to 2mil (over is wasting money really). The 550k ships only very rarely give modules. If anyone's done testing and can confirm differently, I'd love to hear it.

well poo poo this is exactly what I just asked, thanks. I'd also love to know if there's a way to know whether it's worth it to buy & scrap.

Also, is it better to scrap busted up distress call C and B-class ships or trade them to someone? Game isn't super forthcoming about relative values like that.

another edit: I did actually get an inventory augmentation from a B class scrap. But trying to apply it pops that "Transfer Items" warning that says you'll lose your stuff when you exchange ships. This doesn't actually apply here and is just a bug, right? Got me nervous to lose my tech.

kaptainkaffeine fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 11, 2019

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Azathoth posted:

For reasons only known to the sadist they employ as a UI designer, it looks like it has a slot, but it doesn't.
Are you loving kidding me? That's awful.

Mobile posting so I'm not messing with more quotes.

Yeah I have access to the anomaly. I've bought stuff from there to kick start a lot of dead tech trees. But haven't seen anything for the workstations. It's been really irritating me.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Once you get the first slot it makes sense how it looks, but yeah, I spent waaaaaaay too long trying to figure out why I couldn't put stuff in there (like trying certain items, different ways of selecting items, etc. before I gave up.

When I went to add more slots to it and saw I was adding the first one, it clicked and I was SUPER pissed for a while.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Another one. Was an update snuck through in the last couple of days? Platinum crystals in asteroid fields have disappeared.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

General_Failure posted:

Another one. Was an update snuck through in the last couple of days? Platinum crystals in asteroid fields have disappeared.

I think some asteroid fields just don't have obvious platinum asteroids. They'll still have platinum asteroids that have a different shape they're just not as obvious as the crystal looking ones. I noticed it a while back when I first started playing so I don't think it was a recent change.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Asteroids have always been random and sometimes you just hit a dry spell

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
One thing I really hate about this game is how illogical the riddles in manufacturing plants can be. After failing ten times in a row by always falling for stupid gotcha-options, I'm kind of fed up by this. The last was the stupidest I've encountered in a good long while, a production facility with some poor bastard being scared about something and most of the text in his panicky message left untranslated. But oh well, I thought. It's a production facility and there's some sort of problem. Logically, we should slow down production so the problem can be solved.

Oops, gotcha, you dumbass! Turns out slowing down production makes the facility overheat and burns the worker to death. No blueprint for you!

And this poo poo keeps happening to me, it's like the devs and me are aliens from different planets and we're just operating on completely different planes of reality! Instead of trying to solve riddles, I'm more and more trying to guess the developers thoughts, or just blindly take one option and hope for the best. Not really a fun experience.

I'm really starting to prefer the math riddles, because if I fail at them, it's at least my own fault for being bad at math and not the fault of the jackass programmer who is apparently trying to waste as much of my time with dumb bullshit as possible! :mad:

OK, rant over. As I'd still like to collect some more blueprints, is there another way to bypass this? I remember some people collecting answers online, and as I couldn't find anything on Google that's not horribly out of date, I'd appreciate it if anyone knew a better, newer source.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Yeah the puzzles annoy me too. It might not be so bad if most of them didn't require learning an entire language first.

https://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Secure_Sites/Puzzles

Basically I just search that page for the options presented to me and pick one marked positive.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The fact that their language system is so insanely slow is really the core issue there. Those challenges are explicitly designed so that they very plainly just tell you what to do, you only need to be able to understand it. At some stage it was obviously supposed to be a mutually progressive system so that you might fail a bunch to start but as you progress in other areas of the game it gets more reliable until you know enough to do it every time and now your language skills have fed directly into your crafting and made you money in the long-term.

However; to, get an idea of how insanely slow the language system is, I haven't restarted my game since Abyss. I have gold milestones in every Gek category, including language. I still do not know all the words. I like the idea behind the language game but since the Beyond changes make every conversation cosmetic outside of learning recipes I absolutely wouldn't consider it cheating to just mod yourself all words and be done with it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
What gets me is that they clearly structured this poo poo to force you to engage with their language system. Like in my example above, where I'm failing because I can't understand the message and have to rely on logic to guess my way through. But oops, the devs made sure logic doesn't help, so you automatically fail if you take the option you think seems reasonable.

This makes you actively hate this system, as trying to trap your players won't make the language system fun and engaging. And the devs still fail at this, since every trick only works once or twice, and the more painfully stupid the trap was, the more likely the player will retain the memory of that particular dialog and next time, will simply chose another option. And yeah, with language learning being so slow, chances are the next time you run into the same trap you'll still not understand the message.

Think about how this would work out if this one example would be structured differently: Instead of letting that poor guy inexplicably catch fire, the more reasonable option now has a good outcome. The player feels smart, because he guessed right. The player has fun! And is probably more willing to learn new words to see what that guy was actually trying to tell them.

But currently this part of the game works like a masochism simulator, which is not good.

At least the old random blueprint poo poo is dead now, that felt like playing a masochism simulator just to get more punches to the face as reward.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Here, NMS save editor. Download it, extract it, run the jar and open your save file, select the game slot and save file to modify, go to the Discovery tab and click 'learn all', then back to Main and save changes. All words learned, no more translation problems. i tested it and it seems to work fine.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

VegasGoat posted:

Yeah the puzzles annoy me too. It might not be so bad if most of them didn't require learning an entire language first.

https://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Secure_Sites/Puzzles

Basically I just search that page for the options presented to me and pick one marked positive.

Thanks, I tried two more factories with this and actually having some positive outcomes makes all the difference!

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I get what they were going for, I think. In the early game, it's supposed to feel alien and opaque, and when you fail because you don't understand, you're supposed to feel like you're at sea.

The problem is that the language system, even if you know to install translator modules, takes so long to learn and is so repetitive that even if you make a concerted effort to talk to every NPC, is way the heck behind actual progress.

I think an overhaul to how languages are learned to increase the speed would probably address the issue and keep the intent, but who knows how far down the list that one is

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Learning a language should be way more organic than one word per npc through a dialogue list but maybe they're working towards that. I'd prefer if you learned the language just from dealing with the different alien races bit by bit (or by deducing words you could add them as learned words.) I guess my pre-Beyond save guy bumped his head since despite having learned every Gek word I now seem to be missing loads of them.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The Beyond patch included an extra 700 words just for good measure.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Well that explains it. But I'll stick to my own version since it's a bit funnier.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
There are translator tech mods that say they'll autotranslate some words for you but I have no idea how or if they work.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I think it's just for random words here and there, depending on rank. But I think I'm far along now that they don't make much of a difference.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
The way the Translator modules work is they translate X words you do not know in any message.

So say you have Translator with 3 words this means every message it will fill in up to 3 random words you do not already know. Every message is different as far as I know and it's not a specific set of words, just random ones. It also doesn't count for the achievement of being able to understand an entire sentence but that probably doesn't matter to you.

As long as you focus on learning the trade and technology words first for each faction the translator modules will fill in enough gaps to figure out the meaning by context.

I never really had too many issues with the secured site puzzles unless it was super early in the game and I just knew absolutely no words. You can save scum it but it probably is not worth the extra effort compared to just looking up that puzzle's solution.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

So
1) Hyperdrive
2) Matter Beam
3) Blue Hyperdrive Upgrade (all stars)
4) Hyperdrive Upgrade#1 (+800ly)
*5) Hyperdrive Upgrade#2 (+600ly)
*6) Hyperdrive Upgrade#3 (+200ly)

So #s 5 and 6 are just gone now?

"Patch 2.24: Fixed an issue where Freighters bought before SYNTHESIS update were limited to 4 tech slots"

Well there you go

Edit: For some reason its listed on this guy's youtube and website, but not on the official NMS patch notes site? Still, he has video of the changes, so they're live I guess.
https://www.xainesworld.com/no-man-s-sky-synthesis-update-2-24/
https://www.nomanssky.com/release-log/

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 12, 2019

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

blarzgh posted:

"Patch 2.24: Fixed an issue where Freighters bought before SYNTHESIS update were limited to 4 tech slots"

Well there you go

Edit: For some reason its listed on this guy's youtube and website, but not on the official NMS patch notes site? Still, he has video of the changes, so they're live I guess.
https://www.xainesworld.com/no-man-s-sky-synthesis-update-2-24/
https://www.nomanssky.com/release-log/

That's because it's still on the experimental branch. https://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/0/1741135610609877095/

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
The game balance is off to hell in general but it doesn't seem to matter much. What got me is I bought a freighter for about 5 Mil, yet my half broken salvaged class C cargo ship is worth over 60 mil. Silly thing it is it clips into the pedestrian area of space stations by a few metres.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

General_Failure posted:

The game balance is off to hell in general but it doesn't seem to matter much. What got me is I bought a freighter for about 5 Mil, yet my half broken salvaged class C cargo ship is worth over 60 mil. Silly thing it is it clips into the pedestrian area of space stations by a few metres.

It's all that extra space that makes it so valuable!

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Anyone else get that bug where containers and drop pods open/activate before you've removed the gunk or added a resource? I got like five free drop pod upgrades in a row thanks to that.

Found a really weird planet where all the plants were these bizarre hexagonal shapes and the only creatures were bubbles with a glowing green centre, and scattered around it were these big round structures. They looked like stargates, but when I activated the button on them it just babbled some nonsense and gave me nanites. What the heck are these?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

alphabettitouretti posted:

Anyone else get that bug where containers and drop pods open/activate before you've removed the gunk or added a resource? I got like five free drop pod upgrades in a row thanks to that.

Found a really weird planet where all the plants were these bizarre hexagonal shapes and the only creatures were bubbles with a glowing green centre, and scattered around it were these big round structures. They looked like stargates, but when I activated the button on them it just babbled some nonsense and gave me nanites. What the heck are these?

Those are exotic planets. The nonsense has to do with the game's backstory and you can learn more about that by doing the Artemis quests (the mystery radio hail that happens early on in a new character).

Mostly exotics are useful for grinding the full scan planets milestone because they have exactly 1 animal type and don't pay very much but it still counts as a completion.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Just found out you can cook in this game. I might never be seen again.

EDIT: So that's what the bullfrog alien on the Nexus is for! He loved my Mystery Meat Stew. :3:

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 15, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm guessing cooking is gotten through the base stuff which I've not really touched much yet(besides buying most of the recipes in the anomaly) and so I've just been forcing uncooked ingredients down his throat for the occasional handful of nanites

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm guessing cooking is gotten through the base stuff which I've not really touched much yet(besides buying most of the recipes in the anomaly) and so I've just been forcing uncooked ingredients down his throat for the occasional handful of nanites

No, you also get cooking ingredients by shooting up local wildlife. I collected some feline livers just to gently caress with the cooking guy at the Nexus. He was seriously revolted by the livers I gave him

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
They loved the first three servings of stew so I kept dishing it out but then they soured on it. I guess even a blob needs some variety.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Libluini posted:

No, you also get cooking ingredients by shooting up local wildlife. I collected some feline livers just to gently caress with the cooking guy at the Nexus. He was seriously revolted by the livers I gave him
oh I meant being able to cook, I can't craft anything to cook with yet so assumed the recipes for cooking utensils was gotten later

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

oh I meant being able to cook, I can't craft anything to cook with yet so assumed the recipes for cooking utensils was gotten later

to be fair, the cooking part of the game has me uninterested to such a high degree I stopped reading your post halfway through and missed that you already knew that you can feed that NPC uncooked stuff, ha ha

my bad

anyway, I actually have no idea how cooking works since I've been ignoring it so aggressively

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

To cook you have to go into the Nexus and buy the crafting recipe for the Nutrient Processor.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Is there any point to it? I haven't dabbled.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Other than shoving custards down the chef's throat for nanites, no. Even for nanites I would say it's a resounding no.

Ingredients are just more to collect in an even less convenient manner than any other resource in the game, and making anything at all beyond bait requires consulting a wiki with a large amount of middle-crafts required. Your result for gathering all the items and doing the multiple crafts to get a cupcake or stew is that you can give it the chef for nanites, or eat it to restore an amount of health that is proportionally less than if you'd spent that time just flying around looking for a health station.

I didn't find it any use at all and just stopped collecting the ingredients except for the occasional rare one I happen to be near in case they come up during a weekend event.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
"Flying around for a health station" you joker you. Just put one in one of your bases with a teleporter and you can even remove the flying-around-part from the equation.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

With the upgrade to biodomes, I decided it was good and right to upgrade my farm as well.

Now, instead of 5 and 5 stasis/fusion for $150mil, you can harvest for 10 and 10 of each. And the total harvest now takes 3 minutes where the old one took 7.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
I finally created my first emeril extractor base (thank you nexus mission to jump me in a green system even if I don't yet have a green engine!). The base is in the middle of an area with one emeril deposit and two gas deposits. Can I connect the gas and the emeril extractors to the same group of silos or do I have to keep them separate?