Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Gatts posted:

Right but the Dems have made progress and gains in recent elections. Have to ungerrymander after.

The dems need to gerrymander more. If they ungerrymander where they win then they will lose districts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

By the time the boomers are dead, your own children and grandchildren will be rooting for you to die.

Yours will for sure.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Oracle posted:

most people don't start voting regularly until they a) buy a house (and figure out how much property taxes cost) or b) have kids (and realize their property taxes fund schools and school boards do stuff that they don't like). Basically until local politics starts directly visibly affecting them, most people don't have a reason to bother.

Given millennials' historic low numbers of homeownership and kid having, voter turnout for this generation may end up not manifesting in as large of numbers as we hope.

I think historically it's basically been "are you over 30? then you probably vote" but who knows if that holds true in this hellworld timeline.

Like someone else said 2018 the younger generations showed out. And yet if you watch cable news they seem to think millennials are still like 21.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/neal_katyal/status/1204208352265428992?s=20

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

From the Watergate quote on, that is just awesome

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Hmm...what is this about?

https://twitter.com/TheRickWilson/status/1204636011814412289

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Fart Amplifier posted:

The dems need to gerrymander more. If they ungerrymander where they win then they will lose districts

Very few. The simplest thing is just to murder the 'mander, the gains are much larger than the losses

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/1204376000282411009

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

don't need to if you have a loyal attorney general

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

redneck nazgul posted:

don't need to if you have a loyal attorney general

especially one that has all but shouted at the top of his lungs to the press that he intends to interfere in the election

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
The Boomers didn’t get more right as they aged, they were fascists pieces of racist poo poo back in the 70s/80s too when their generation started out voting the Greats and they elected Regan to initiate ~40 years of reactionary bullshit.

Millinianls are now in that same position that the Boomers were back then, only instead of family’s, careers and property we have nothing.

Vhedza1
Dec 11, 2019
Am following the proceedings everyday.

As a foreigner though it all seems like a massive waste of resources to tranish Trump's image and lower his chances of winning the next election.

It makes the Democrats look desperate.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Spite posted:

I think historically it's basically been "are you over 30? then you probably vote" but who knows if that holds true in this hellworld timeline.

Like someone else said 2018 the younger generations showed out. And yet if you watch cable news they seem to think millennials are still like 21.

This and the dumb rear end house buying theory aren’t true. Voting turnout increases linearly with age until something like 75, where it plateaus, most likely due to failing health. The total population for a given birth year goes down ever year - the two curves cross around 40 which is peak voting power for a generation. So millennials are still a few years out from peak voting power. The tip of spear will be like 2022. Also people don’t get more conservative with age. Voting habits are sticky and millennials vote D by like 30 points. Rich people do tend to live longer and historically vote R so there’s been a perception that voters get more conservative, but that trend has broken recently, as blue areas of the country now live much longer than red and rich and well educated now correlates with voting D.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Vhedza1 posted:

Am following the proceedings everyday.

As a foreigner though it all seems like a massive waste of resources to tranish Trump's image and lower his chances of winning the next election.

It makes the Democrats look desperate.

I don't know if this is a troll or not but or President committed a crime and is being held accountable for it. The fact that he's impeached just makes it that much nicer because it's a blot Trump will never get rid of.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

SalTheBard posted:

I don't know if this is a troll or not .....

What does the Reg date (and your heart) tell you?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

SalTheBard posted:

I don't know if this is a troll or not but or President committed a crime and is being held accountable for it. The fact that he's impeached just makes it that much nicer because it's a blot Trump will never get rid of.

Vhedza1 posted:

New To Forum.

I write on Alternative History & Pop Culture.

Joined as a way of connecting and sharing my content here as well as engaging in discussions with other curious minds.

My favourite Topic is Alternative History, and here's a recent entry connecting the Anunnaki Ancient Aliens and the Bible from the Book Of Genesis To Revelations.

Hope you enjoy and that it will stimulate interesting debates.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/611997036848603506/

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Numlock posted:

Millinianls are now in that same position that the Boomers were back then, only instead of family’s, careers and property we have nothing.

What I have found with millennials is that their status depends on whether or not they were able to get into a career that boomers didn't already trash.

I went into speech pathology, which mostly came into its own from the late 80s onward. The boomers in this field are unbearable, but I can actually make a living and have a house and a family. Even then, I had to get a master's degree to make it work and my purchasing power is still less than my dad who never made it past being a shift supervisor for GM with a GED. He was making 40 dollars an hour in 1997 when gas was 1.99/gallon. I make 42/hr and have nowhere near the spending power he had, and I know I make more than almost everyone I graduated with.

I was lucky enough to graduate right before student loans went from being "ouch" to being "gently caress me in the rear end".

The worst part of this field is that all the companies are run by greedy rear end geriatrics with business degrees.

Every time I hear someone say "the economy is strong", I make sure to tell them that the economy is only strong for those making 150000+ a year. Inflation has gotten so bad, wages so stagnant, and benefits so terrible that the average person is faaaar worse off than they were 20 years ago.

SchrodingersCat fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 11, 2019

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

SchrodingersCat posted:

What I have found with millennials is that their status depends on whether or not they were able to get into a career that boomers didn't already trash.

I went into speech pathology, which mostly came into its own from the late 80s onward. The boomers in this field are unbearable, but I can actually make a living and have a house and a family. Even then, I had to get a master's degree to make it work and my purchasing power is still less than my dad who never made it past being a shift supervisor for GM with a GED. He was making 40 dollars an hour in 1997 when gas was 1.99/gallon. I make 42/hr and have nowhere near the spending power he had, and I know I make more than almost everyone I graduated with.

I was lucky enough to graduate right before student loans went from being "ouch" to being "gently caress me in the rear end".

The worst part of this field is that all the companies are run by greedy rear end geriatrics with business degrees.

This has been really one of the hardest points to get across is just how explosive and positive growth was for the generation (at least those who could capitalize on it)

I have described to my parents and in laws that forget inflation, just realize back when they went to college they could work a summer to pay for a whole year. Now you either have to work summers for free to get experience to even get a job, or if you do get paid it is like 10% of yearly tuition. Not to mention their house prices literally doubled in a couple of years and many got pensions.

I still get “how is your 401k” talking points.

There is no point in looking back, their generation was literally an economic golden age and I’m now of the opinion the more we try to opine about it and compare our generation to it, the more time we lose accepting our future and doing what we can to make it a little bit better for us and future generations.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Crazyweasel posted:

This has been really one of the hardest points to get across is just how explosive and positive growth was for the generation (at least those who could capitalize on it)

I have described to my parents and in laws that forget inflation, just realize back when they went to college they could work a summer to pay for a whole year. Now you either have to work summers for free to get experience to even get a job, or if you do get paid it is like 10% of yearly tuition. Not to mention their house prices literally doubled in a couple of years and many got pensions.

I still get “how is your 401k” talking points.

There is no point in looking back, their generation was literally an economic golden age and I’m now of the opinion the more we try to opine about it and compare our generation to it, the more time we lose accepting our future and doing what we can to make it a little bit better for us and future generations.

My father-in-law graduated in 1981 with a doctorate in engineering that cost him less than 20000 total. He paid for it all with work study and summer jobs and graduated with no debt.

He made like 60000 in his first year of work, and paid like 75000 for the house he has lived in since 1988. He was able to get a doctorate and buy a house for less than it costs to get a bachelor's now. He paid off his mortgage at 40. He retired last year and still makes 100k a year with pension and SS.

He votes straight Republican in every election and has no idea how the world works anymore. He once told me that you should pay no more than $1000 for every year you expect to drive a car.

I love my father in law, but the world will be better off when the boomers are gone.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

I want a 10 hour version of this.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Strange Poon posted:

especially one that has all but shouted at the top of his lungs to the press that he intends to interfere in the election

what makes me curious is if (insert dem canidate) wins and barr just gurgles that they cheated. part of me thinks thats more likely than russia trying to pull stuff(they will probably but still) i feel like that wouldnt work because people are loving done of trumps bullshit and most high up types would abandon him.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I mean, yeah it probably wasn't the report that was given to him. He likely got a large print, simple english version with all the stuff that would upset him edited out.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ReidRansom posted:

I mean, yeah it probably wasn't the report that was given to him. He likely got a large print, simple english version with all the stuff that would upset him edited out.

i think part of it is his brain is so hosed that bad stuff about him just doesnt compute as long as he has another source to sooth him. its why he legit doesn't think the dems will impeach him because they secretly love him and want to be his friend.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

that makes sense. as has been said, trumps brain is hosed when it comes to associating bad actions so he never learns unless its super direct. he got poo poo from everyone about comey. so he knows firing wray would make it worse. at some point he might still but lol.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
trump is retweeting a propaganda tweet once per minute. Things are fine

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

ReidRansom posted:

Print?

It was a picture book. The only words are "President Trump" every few pages to keep his interest

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

SchrodingersCat posted:

Inflation has gotten so bad,

Noooooope, that's doing what it's supposed to be doing

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
There's been talk in this thread that moving to the trial and then using Roberts to rule on calling important witnesses like Bolton and Mulvaney is a good strategy, but it seems like not calling any witnesses at all might be on the table?

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1204782667352461312?s=20

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

AhhYes posted:

There's been talk in this thread that moving to the trial and then using Roberts to rule on calling important witnesses like Bolton and Mulvaney is a good strategy, but it seems like not calling any witnesses at all might be on the table?

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1204782667352461312?s=20

i mean we all know he won't get convicted. i assume they stupidly assume this would help them keep power after.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

AhhYes posted:

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/474002-republicans-consider-skipping-witnesses-in-trump-impeachment-trial?amp

Someone posted a scholars explanation of what the trial may be like and it was really long and bloated but the basic message was that a simple majority vote can set whatever rules they want. The problem Mitch faces is that he only has 53 R Senators and a few are not in a position to automatically follow Trump to the end, so there are some borderline things he probably won’t be able to do like calling Biden and Schiff and all that poo poo.

He could, however, have support to completely write the trial rules so that there are no witnesses, or that the trial is significantly different than what you and I would think of a normal Justice Department trial. From what I understood Roberts doesn’t have much power. This is what I remember, open to being proven wrong. It was kind of disheartening.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Harry Reid would've never allowed it to be discussed, but this is absolutely something schumer would negotiate allowing prior to the start of the trial

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
So they want to be blatant about it?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Gatts posted:

if they have the votes, yes. We're entirely dependent on a handful of vulnerable GOP senators

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gatts posted:

there's a not minor amount of weight in the idea that the senate knows they can't actually force Schiff or the whistle-blower or whatever to show up and a redo of the house witnesses would only be bad for them, so it's best to cut the cord asap and just 'exonerate' Trump so they can spend 2020 on full damage control mode.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

It’s really beautiful that after Republicans kept complaining about “No fact witnesses” that they don’t want to call any witnesses.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the only actual takeaway is that republicans aren't going to have the votes to overrule Roberts when R oberts inevitably says "gently caress no you are not calling Adam Schiff or Hunter Biden"

if they want to try to have no witnesses at all, good luck getting to 51 on that vote. there's a reason you only hear open partisans in safe red seats like Graham talking about it, and not the like six votes who actually matter

eke out fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 11, 2019

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

also the Hill is where people on the right go to have sympathetic stories posted about their blue sky wishes that they know will never come to pass

it's a trash access outlet and its takes should be treated as such

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

DandyLion posted:

What does the Reg date (and your heart) tell you?

Didn't even catch that

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Ethiser posted:

It’s really beautiful that after Republicans kept complaining about “No fact witnesses” that they don’t want to call any witnesses.

The Republicans know that there is no way they can call witnesses and get testimony defending Trump without easily provable perjury.

The trial is going to be weeks and weeks of witnesses saying "yeah it's really that bad" followed by acquittal and Mitch making that creepy-rear end turtle smile he does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

SchrodingersCat posted:

The trial is going to be weeks and weeks of witnesses saying "yeah it's really that bad" followed by acquittal and Mitch making that creepy-rear end turtle smile he does.

this is unironically the optimal scenario for the left