Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

werewolf basketball and not a single person mentions teen wolf. sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Thanks, I was about to make that post. Kids today don’t remember their 80s films.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Don’t you mean 2010s MTV shows

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
they play lacrosse in that one

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

OnimaruXLR posted:

Is... Is Psycho Pass 3... good, actually?

The new characters are fun and/or interesting, the setting is being developed more in interesting ways, even Shimotsuki is less irritating as a pain-in-the-rear end boss versus being a pain-in-the-rear end coworker (and she's not even THAT big of a pain in the rear end anymore!)

About the only thing I've got qualms about is little Inspector's weird Donnie Darko mode but other than that, I've pretty thoroughly enjoyed it so far, and that worries me because I can't remember whether or not I like the second season at first too before going really sour on it

Try and find the movies that took place between 2 and 3. They're actually quite good and show the world outside of Japan.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Do they make it worth retconning having Lelouch seemingly go total dictator so he can bind up all the world's problems around himself and fix them in one stroke by getting himself assassinated by 'Zero'.

That still happens, but he's only mostly dead and needs to be "put back together". The only people who find out he's still alive are plot-relevant main cast members who had an "oh poo poo" moment when Zero gutted him, so their reactions range from being happy he's still alive to being in no rush to jeopardize the near-world peace that his little charade built

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Everything Burrito posted:

they play lacrosse in that one

upset that burrito was willing to call me out on this when I was sure no one would notice

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

PP3 is alright, I guess. The male-heavy cast have a good chemistry, they're all fun an un-toxic w each other and there's is a much warmer dynamic than seen in previous seasons. Visually, season 3 kicks up the stylization a notch and aside from all the Myst knockoff cg interiors everywhere, show looks great. Between the blunt social commentary and wide range of topical...topics bein ripped from the headlines for the plot, one gets the impression Tow Ubukata is trying to will himself into becoming the Hirohiko Araki of sci-fi, and to his credit, things haven't gone far off the rails. Yet(arguably; this latest arc revolves around some BS w suicide bombers that made me very tired, but beyond thaaaaat...).

And yet, I dunno, it all comes together to flatten out into an even "eh, it's OK." PP3 is even more of a straightforward police precudural than either earlier season or flick, all the bits of competent character development have mainly been in service of just PlotPlotPlot, the tone's a bit all over the place, there are few really standout character moments like w Akane and Makishima or her and Kogumi, and the main plot is still in puzzlebox mode even w only one ep left. Other than give me a few choice screenshots re: lines about bottoms, this latest arc about religion didn't do much for me, and at this point, I'm watching mainly to see what it's all been driving at.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Erg posted:

upset that burrito was willing to call me out on this when I was sure no one would notice

tbh I was expecting a "trap sprung"

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Everything Burrito posted:

tbh I was expecting a "trap sprung"

I would never mock someone for enjoying trashy mtv shows about hot 20 something actors pretending to be in high school

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/Rezero_official/status/1204327995344707584

rezero season 2 in april, season 1 will be reaired with some minor additional content starting in january

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Endorph posted:

rezero season 2 in april, season 1 will be reaired with some minor additional content (in the epilogue) starting in january

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Endorph posted:

https://twitter.com/Rezero_official/status/1204327995344707584

rezero season 2 in april, season 1 will be reaired with some minor additional content starting in january

Welp, I was thinking about re-watching re-zero ever since we got some concrete news about second season definitely happening and this nicely takes care of that. Neat.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Endorph posted:

hell yeah

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Tear Studio, a relatively recent production house that did Fragtime and The Royal Tutor, has just vanished into thin air, leaving its staff and contributors angry and mystified.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I am not able to understand how that happens, honest.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

I am not able to understand how that happens, honest.
i blame the yakuza

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I think some studios don't pay until the end of the season. That's the only thing I can think of.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

i blame the yakuza

i'm going to run a kickstarter to hire a hardboiled tokyo gumshoe to get to the bottom and find the truth and perhaps romance along the way

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

But I mean was there no point of contact between production and payroll or even who the people signing checks were, you should be able to find them right?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I mean, the life of a Japanese animator sucks.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Not blaming the animators, just wondering how the snakes got away is more like it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

But I mean was there no point of contact between production and payroll or even who the people signing checks were, you should be able to find them right?
a lot of animation studios are super fly by night and hire contractors who work from their homes, so how those people get paid is just someone rolls up to their house with money in an envelope, and the initial point of contact that got them working on the show was probably just some low level production guy going to their house and going 'hey wanna work on this'

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I remember some of that but it still seems wild the industry is run like that.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sharkopath posted:

I remember some of that but it still seems wild the industry is run like that.
And that's if they bother in the first place with some "niceness" in the process. If you're overseas, the niceness is downright non-existent unless (and maybe) you're dealing with either a producer, a showrunner or a director.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Mokinokaro posted:

Try and find the movies that took place between 2 and 3. They're actually quite good and show the world outside of Japan.

I got done watching these today and yeah, they're on par with the new season in terms of enjoyment level, except they're nicer looking and more consistently animated. I was amazed at how well the first movie depicted Shimotsuki's recovery from being just such an annoying pain in the rear end in season 2 to someone who might even charitably be described as likable

I guess her character is kind of a microcosm of how the franchise in general has gone to "Guess that first season was another one-cour wonder" with the disappointment of season 2 and the first movie to "There's good ideas here to riff on still" with the new trilogy and season 3.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Wasn't expecting much from that Obsolete trailer earlier in the thread but the first episode was only ten minutes so I checked it out and it ended up being a lot better than expected. You can breeze through its six episodes in about an hour and it's a series of vignettes of the effect widespread availability of mechs would have on the developing world. I think it's the first show I've seen since Full Metal Panic that mixed real-world military stuff with robots, and I found it scratched that itch pretty well. The mechs even make sense from a real-world point of view where they're not even necessarily better that a modern tank or air support, but they make up for that by being dirt cheap. A ton of limestone is worth what, like fifty bucks? Just fuckin' throw yourself into the rotors of that Hind-D and pick up another one on your way out.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/Sakura_Taisen/status/1204718722859982848?s=20

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1204704027964952577

HA
SHI
RE!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i'm pretty hyped by the dorohedoro anime but i have 2 big disappointments from that pv

1. en's VA does not sound like he eats a bowl of cigarette cereal for breakfast every day
2. fujita's dumbass shoes have been toned down for some reason

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Looks like Azur Lane has hit extreme production hell as episodes 11 and 12 have been delayed till march

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

From what I've heard, they booked a timeslot for next season to reshow the episodes they've already made. Maybe they'll touch those up too.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

100% yes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgmsb1axQAs

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Looking forward to this.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

this looks really good and powerful

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
That looks really cool but I was distracted by the fact that it was subtitled by someone who had no idea what the context of the lines was and didn't even to try to guess.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 14, 2019

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think Warner Japan just got the person who knew the most English

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWGquxvqI_Y&t=471s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IUEiOcTms0

Gridman... thing. Just says 'gridman universe' in the logo.