Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Hamelekim posted:

Hah, that wand is nuts. They need like a tutorial on how to make wands before this game is finally released.
I assume that at some point they'll have to massively overhaul the edit wand interface and make it into a big branching tree affair with highlights showing exactly which spells modifiers affect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

TACD posted:

I assume that at some point they'll have to massively overhaul the edit wand interface and make it into a big branching tree affair with highlights showing exactly which spells modifiers affect.

Just draw a colored box around each projectile modifier and encompassing the projectiles it modifies. Layer them as needed when multiple modifiers are combined.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The last two games have ended with Turso (the big purple octopus guy) freezing me and then meleeing me to death. He's a tough guy in closed spaces where you can't escape as fast.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Kill the little octopuses first, they're the ones that freeze you.

The big ones can be nasty though if your dps is lacking. I wish I was as accurate with tentacles as those things are.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I think the big ones can pop a freeze field too if you get really close.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Huh, never seen that.

Then again I obviously avoid getting close to them if possible so maybe it just never came up.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, this was definitely just the big guy. I was looting fungal caverns and took a wrong turn, and I ended up covered in slime and he chased me down. Had a pretty good starter level machine gun with green bouncy balls everywhere but it wasn't enough to take him down fast.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
They do it from time to time but it's rare if you're fighting them normally. It's like how all mobile wands have the unremarked upon ability to shoot out spitter balls when you're really close. Or some of the machines have different attacks.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Giant floating octopus is easily frightened or knocked down...which basically just means "try to be above it" and "hit it repeatedly / with big attacks". I guess that's not very useful advice. It's definitely a priority target, and one of the reasons why you want to make sure you have a clear line to retreat along while fighting.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

TACD posted:

I really hope so. Having a dynamic tree based on the spells inserted would be wonderful.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
Along the lines of that big Octopus fucker, what are the other enemies that pop up that get top priority and/or are run enders? For me the list goes something like:

- Lightning Elementals. You really can't let these guys get a shot off if they're anywhere near you and you don't have relevant immunities. I'll ignore entire sections of the level if they pop up and I have any kind of alternative path.

- Darkness + Teleport wizards. Either of these can easily be a run-ender if they hit you once, and their shots are fast and accurate. They also have enough health that they're relatively hard to kill quickly if you run into them in the fungal caverns.

- Big green spider things. I'm not sure I've ever actually been hit by one of them, but they move incredibly fast once they spot you and they seem to take really reduced damage from most normal attacks. Lightning bolt wands are a must imo by the time you hit the jungle, solely to deal with these guys. They also tend to eat their way up into the holy mountain and piss off the gods if the worms haven't managed yet.

- Slimeball spitter blobs. Mostly just annoying, but they're around for basically the entire game and they shoot fast, accurate, and cover everything in toxic goop. They also have enough life that it's really hard to take them down before they manage to tag you once or twice and toxify everything nearby.

- Fire bee nests. So many bees, so much lava, so much health. They're another "do I REALLY need to go this way?" discovery.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Wasps in fungal caverns are a huge issue for me now that half of them can be invisible when you find them. I GTFO unless I have a good scattergun by then.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The Gengar-looking monsters are a huge problem, because their projectiles polymorph. There is no defense against polymorph aside from "don't get polymorphed" and it's very easy to die if you do get polymorphed. Their corpses are also somewhat dangerous, as they can spew out immense quantities of bone dust which can trap and asphyxiate you if you aren't careful.

Robotykka, the humanoid robot, is a big threat in the Fungal Caverns as it can stunlock you. In other areas you can usually walk away from robots with machineguns, but it's much easier to get trapped in a pit with a robot at that point.

Wasps as mentioned are problematic -- fast, plenty of health, aggressive movement, and there's a lot of them. Though I have to question the biology here -- they clearly have paper nests and lack the stripes normally associated with bees, but I often find honey on the ground near their nests? Which, annoyingly, I cannot eat. :(

Special mention to acid beholders, who drop gold that you cannot grab because it's always covered in acid for longer than the gold lasts.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Just draw a colored box around each projectile modifier and encompassing the projectiles it modifies. Layer them as needed when multiple modifiers are combined.

They should do it the way Path of Exile does -- hover over a modifier in a wand and it'll highlight all spells it's currently affecting.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Robotykka, the humanoid robot,

Robokyttä :eng101: It means Robocop

For me the absolute worst enemy are the white damage reflecting ghosts, followed by the polymorph wizards.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Though I have to question the biology here -- they clearly have paper nests and lack the stripes normally associated with bees, but I often find honey on the ground near their nests? Which, annoyingly, I cannot eat. :(

Actually, if you press down while standing on top of it your wizard will start stuffing themselves one pixel at a time. You can do this with a lot of things too! In this case I think it's more for flavour than actually affecting the environment; it does not appear to diminish anything solid and most of the time your wizard is not affected by it afterward.

The damage reflector ghosts are real simple to defeat: don't shoot them.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Sage Grimm posted:

Yeah but they're nasty when they're mixed with other enemies and you don't have an accurate source of damage.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Some of my most dreaded enemies are basically contingent on whether or not I have Melee Immunity or not.

Moykky (the little splitting blob monsters) and Assassin Bots (the ones with a sword and shield) are loving deadly without immunity and a total nonissue if you do have it. Groups of Moykky in particular can beat you to death so loving fast you barely get time to react.

Other than those, icer bots in the vault are loving nasty. Getting anywhere near them is basically a death sentence.

....you know, most everything in the vault is horrible to deal with, honestly.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
If I manage to make it to the vaults, I've usually cobbled something together that can take down most enemies really quickly, which might or might not be a pile of lightning bolts shoved into some dual/triple casts. The assassin bots, icer bots etc. all have to get close to damage you, which really shouldn't be happening at that point unless you run into them on a blind corner.

The sheer damage of lightning bolts does make explosion immunity the highest priority perk for me in general, since without it I'll inevitably blow myself up hitting a lamp or something with my pile o' lightning blasts.

Funnily enough, electricity immunity isn't nearly as important for actual use of lightning (as long are you're careful to never fire at a steel surface you're near, and never scroll through your wands if you're submerged). Lightning bolts aren't the strongest possible spell in the game, but their relatively low mana cost and high damage make them always useful.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Sage Grimm posted:

Actually, if you press down while standing on top of it your wizard will start stuffing themselves one pixel at a time. You can do this with a lot of things too! In this case I think it's more for flavour than actually affecting the environment; it does not appear to diminish anything solid and most of the time your wizard is not affected by it afterward.

Yeah, I know about eating/drinking; I assumed the honey's inedible because it can't be diminished through eating, as far as I can tell.

Damage reflector ghosts aren't usually an imminent threat in and of themselves (though watch the gently caress out if you have a homing death cloud wand), but they push you to play in an unfamiliar style through their presence alone. I find myself trying to lose them on terrain, which means increasing the speed at which I traverse the level, which potentially means aggroing more enemies.

As far as I can tell the only realistic way to kill them is through asphyxiation? Maybe by dripping lava/acid on them? They seem to have tremendous resistance to other damage types.

bloom posted:

Robokyttä :eng101: It means Robocop

Ha! That's neat, I like that. And thanks for the correction.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Just got my first win after over 300 games and 185 hours played. I managed to get this wand together just before Hiisi base and I think I tweaked it to get more shots just before the Jungle.

And how it plays:

15 shots, each doing 59 damage (5 damage + 44 from heavy shot, and 10 from damage plus). The chaotic path cancels out the speed loss from heavy shot, and I have the homing perk which cancels out the inaccuracy from chaotic shot. The wand itself had always cast explosive shots (actually, no idea how much extra damage this added), and I had explosion immunity so I could use this wand anywhere, with care. I didn't really need to use anything else for the rest of the game although my back up wand cast split shots with lightning arc as something to toss behind me while fleeing.

I realised too late I had enough perks to explore the rest of the world fairly easily, but I'd trapped myself too low and couldn't find a way back up. And I finished the game with more gold than I had from the time I used a mod to get the midas formula!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Sage Grimm posted:

You can drink a lot of liquids without suffering their effects, so it actually has a use!
See some sweet loot in a pool of lava? Just stand on the shore beside it and drink all the lava, then collect your prize.

Perhaps more usefully, you can drink berserkium to get the buff without worrying about losing it / washing it off when you bathe in a pool of your enemies' blood.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Perhaps more usefully, you can drink berserkium to get the buff without worrying about losing it / washing it off when you bathe in a pool of your enemies' blood.

I have tried this and as far as I can tell the buff immediately goes away when you get submerged. I've drunk like 10 witch-volumes' worth of berserkium and lost it five seconds later from jumping in a pool of water.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You can drink a lot of liquids without suffering their effects, so it actually has a use!
See some sweet loot in a pool of lava? Just stand on the shore beside it and drink all the lava, then collect your prize.

But not all of them. I recently drank a bottle of fire and it actually gave me damaging heartburn until I drank some water to balance it out. :v:

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
i hate this loving game!

I managed to have a pretty decent wand that was able to mow down mobs pretty easily and my run ended because two turrets managed to ground me and take most of my hp and i managed to survive.

What killed me though? Standing on a loving red pixel that was fire.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Cardiovorax posted:

But not all of them. I recently drank a bottle of fire and it actually gave me damaging heartburn until I drank some water to balance it out. :v:

drinking stuff from a bottle is not the same as drinking it from a puddle.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

it seems like drinking from environmental sources doesn't have the same damage effect as drinking potions?

they should make it so if you're ____ blooded, said thing doesn't harm you

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The last time I tried that to see if it was anything more than a convenient way to empty bottles quickly, it still appeared not to do anything special compared to drinking from pools of liquid. I was certainly surprised by the seeming change.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I kinda hate the holy mountain as a concept... It feels like everything it does could be organically part of the level and the policing of its weird rules is more deleterious to the game than helpful.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Motherfucker posted:

I kinda hate the holy mountain as a concept... It feels like everything it does could be organically part of the level and the policing of its weird rules is more deleterious to the game than helpful.

I think the concept of the Holy Mountain is perfectly fine for the game, but needs elaboration. I think it’s supposed to serve as the safe zone / relaxation area, where you can take a break and not have to worry about dying, and you can fiddle around with wands and spells and stuff. It’s important in breaking up the pace of the game.

However, I think it may be a good idea to make it so while you’re inside, you’re invincible and have unlimited ammo. That way you can really relax and play with goofy wands without worrying about killing yourself or wasting spell casts, but the protective aura or whatever it could be themed as would be lost if you anger the gods.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Want to know the fun thing about the whole holy mountain thing? Use the teleport trick to get past the area detonate, then if you go to the far left/right sides, you can black hole/etc back up through the holy brick without angering the gods. I'm not sure what the minimum distance from the cave area is before you can freely destroy it, but the edges are safe.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The Holy Mountain serves a number of purposes. As noted it's a relatively safe area to experiment. It provides health/ammo restoration. But the really important thing it does is prevent the player from backtracking without a lot of effort and special equipment. This serves to cut the game up into manageable chunks and discourage tedious "I'll save this <whatever> for later / I'll go find that wand I had to drop" kinds of shenanigans.

If you ditch the Holy Mountain as a concept, then you have to address this issue some other way.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
One thing I wish the Holy Mountain did was keep giving you health/spell refreshes until you leave. Experimenting is limited when you're using spells with limited numbers, and getting damaged by anything stays until you get to the next safe spot.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Dizz posted:

One thing I wish the Holy Mountain did was keep giving you health/spell refreshes until you leave. Experimenting is limited when you're using spells with limited numbers, and getting damaged by anything stays until you get to the next safe spot.

i think it would be a reasonable balance change to turn off friendly fire while in the holy mountain. or allow unlimited health refreshes, though that might not solve the "what does this spell do? oh i just died instantly" issue

while it can be very funny to accidentally kill yourself, it's probably also causing some people to bounce off the game when a not-explained-at-all wand system with totally useless UI ruins their progress. there are plenty of other sources of "be careful with what wand you choose to shoot" lessons in this game without also having them in the only area you can freely edit

i don't think this is by any means a huge problem, but it seems like tweaking the holy mountain would be dead simple in terms of how much work is involved and could remove some frustration

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Found some chainsaws and stuff on first level, then this crazy thing on the second level:

Next temple, made a wand with magic arrow with trigger + lightning bolt + chainsaws, tried that out, a bit slow but nice damage. Ok, the capacity 17 wand has decent stats. It's shuffle though, hmm, maybe if I just put non-suicidal spells on it... ok let's try with some of these harmless timer/trigger spells and whatnot, here in the safety of the temple...

Did y'all notice that "always casts: acid trail" there? :v:

Yeah, couldn't kill the temple guardian. :noita:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Anyone with modding experience know if it's possible to turn off help windows when you hover your mouse over a spell? I tried asking the discord but didn't get a response.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
The next run:

https://i.imgur.com/ld00uwc.mp4

:wtc:

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Man, after the first time first two times you kill yourself with THE GIGA DISC you learn to really make sure which one is slotted into your wand huh?

On that same note: here is me being gibbed after assuming that projectile homing would save me from THE GIGA DISC

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Protip: only the front of the worm is dangerous. But stay the gently caress away from the front of the worm!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
This is the best thread for the best game.