Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Who has actually read the Ukraine call transcript (not the bullshit summary) and is there any chance it will be released in the next one-to-eleven months?

It's hard to find actual needs about it since most (fake) news outlets refer to the summary as a full transcript.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

oxsnard posted:

I guess but I'd think Cruz would be the very first one to turn on trump if that's the road they're going down

he just got re-elected so he's safe for 4 more years anyway, he will pivot to whatever whenever when the time comes

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Even in the house, Trump's narcissism detonated the good play that long time GOP operatives were very clearly angling for. They absolutely wanted to go with, "Wrong, not impeachable, radical leftist Democrats over reaching and dividing the nation why don't we come together and move forward?"

Piss Baby would have loving none of that. Anyone that didn't gratuitously slob his knob while chanting "Perfect phone call, read the transcript, witch hunt!" was branded a heretic and cast into the wilderness via tweet.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Angry_Ed posted:

And also all of the judges he appointed etc. etc.

Sadly it's not that easy, though I maintain, jokingly, that since the Constitution doesn't explicitly say we can't completely undo a presidency that we might as well try.

Trump has spent three years trying to undo 8 years of Obama.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

oxsnard posted:

I guess but I'd think Cruz would be the very first one to turn on trump if that's the road they're going down

if cruz does do it, he won't be the first, he will be one of the last and pretend he was some honorable roman senator type bullshit.

bird food bathtub posted:

Even in the house, Trump's narcissism detonated the good play that long time GOP operatives were very clearly angling for. They absolutely wanted to go with, "Wrong, not impeachable, radical leftist Democrats over reaching and dividing the nation why don't we come together and move forward?"

Piss Baby would have loving none of that. Anyone that didn't gratuitously slob his knob while chanting "Perfect phone call, read the transcript, witch hunt!" was branded a heretic and cast into the wilderness via tweet.

this. i feel like the GOP would rather just censure him lightly and be done with it and a smarter man would take that, but trump isnt that man. he is legit gonna be enraged and betrayed by the House impeachment because again, he legit thinks the dems secretly like him. because at the end of the day, thats all he wants, but he doesn't understand concept at all and wants worship.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Angry_Ed posted:

And also all of the judges he appointed etc. etc.

Sadly it's not that easy, though I maintain, jokingly, that since the Constitution doesn't explicitly say we can't completely undo a presidency that we might as well try.

The Constitution gives us the tools, if we can take 2/3 of both houses. You can impeach any appointed federal officer, including judges/justices. Court packing gets all the press because you only need a simple majority in both (and the presidency).

The consequences of doing a few rounds of mass show impeachments for blatantly political reasons are left as an exercise for the reader.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

eXXon posted:

Who has actually read the Ukraine call transcript (not the bullshit summary) and is there any chance it will be released in the next one-to-eleven months?

It's hard to find actual needs about it since most (fake) news outlets refer to the summary as a full transcript.

There has been zero news about the actual transcript and as far as I am aware one does not exist.

From my understanding there is no recording, and the process for preparing the transcript is a group of people who sat in on the call make a transcript after-the-fact and there is a review process before it is finalized. I believe Col. Vindman mentioned in his testimony that he fought to have certain words added to the transcript, but they were not included. That implies some sort of review process and that someone ultimately decides what goes into the record and what gets omitted and lost forever to memory.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Trump is going to insist on it being a circus. He is not content at just getting away with it, he needs to make it a spectacle to not only soothe his own ego but to try and put shade on his opponents, real or imagined.

The GOP Senate is ultimately going to be forced into doing it since if they don't the Fanta Menace will unload on all of them which will ultimately do them all more harm with their chances of re-election.

Now doing the circus and then forcing a vote is going to cost them in the end as well and everyone in the GOP is well aware except for Trump. The idiot thinks that this is going to help him in some way. I honestly would not be surprised if he doesn't testify, since in his mind everyone else is wrong.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Djarum posted:

Trump is going to insist on it being a circus. He is not content at just getting away with it, he needs to make it a spectacle to not only soothe his own ego but to try and put shade on his opponents, real or imagined.

The GOP Senate is ultimately going to be forced into doing it since if they don't the Fanta Menace will unload on all of them which will ultimately do them all more harm with their chances of re-election.

Now doing the circus and then forcing a vote is going to cost them in the end as well and everyone in the GOP is well aware except for Trump. The idiot thinks that this is going to help him in some way. I honestly would not be surprised if he doesn't testify, since in his mind everyone else is wrong.

he will if he can and if he does and makes this a hell circus. he might get convicted if only so the GOP can save itself.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Slowpoke! posted:

There has been zero news about the actual transcript and as far as I am aware one does not exist.

From my understanding there is no recording, and the process for preparing the transcript is a group of people who sat in on the call make a transcript after-the-fact and there is a review process before it is finalized. I believe Col. Vindman mentioned in his testimony that he fought to have certain words added to the transcript, but they were not included. That implies some sort of review process and that someone ultimately decides what goes into the record and what gets omitted and lost forever to memory.

The unredacted transcript is on a high-security clearance-only system, probably in order to prevent leaks to investigators.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
It's all gonna be perfect, alright.

A PERFECT gently caress UP!!

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

bird food bathtub posted:

That is the one thing I have never understood about the GOP, but really anyone who Trump rails against on Twitter. I'd fight back, make fun of him and use his many weak points against him. The guy obviously hates being ridiculed. Remember how out of sorts he got against Rosie loving O'Donnell would start to gently caress with him? The problem is she always treated him seriously, instead of the joke he is. If someone would treat him like a joke it would smother his fragile ego.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I know you can't be compelled as a witness against yourself but can you be called as a witness? Like could there be a public showing of "I call the president to the stand!" and then trump says "Nah"? Or is only Trump allowed to even call for his own testimony?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Djarum posted:

That is the one thing I have never understood about the GOP, but really anyone who Trump rails against on Twitter. I'd fight back, make fun of him and use his many weak points against him. The guy obviously hates being ridiculed. Remember how out of sorts he got against Rosie loving O'Donnell would start to gently caress with him? The problem is she always treated him seriously, instead of the joke he is. If someone would treat him like a joke it would smother his fragile ego.

And you don't even have to dig deep or come up with something clever. Literally all you have to do is say "He's not really a billionaire" publicly and he is guaranteed to go ape poo poo.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

eXXon posted:

what you're asking about doesn't exist, presidential calls are (seriously) not recorded, they're transcribed live by multiple people, who then collectively merge their versions into a rough "transcript" like the one in this case after the fact

there is literally no Actual Transcript

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

I know you can't be compelled as a witness against yourself but can you be called as a witness? Like could there be a public showing of "I call the president to the stand!" and then trump says "Nah"? Or is only Trump allowed to even call for his own testimony?

there could be a lot of things, but there probably won't be

in the criminal law context, it's understood that it's prejudicial to the jury to attempt to call a criminal defendant as a witness you know will assert their fifth amendment rights (because juries don't understand the fifth and see it as an admission of guilt even though it's absolutely not), and it just doesn't happen

same applies here

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

What exactly is the schedule now for the house judiciary committee?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

actionjackson posted:

What exactly is the schedule now for the house judiciary committee?

markups tonight, vote tomorrow morning then onto a full house vote next week

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

oxsnard posted:

markups tonight, vote tomorrow morning then onto a full house vote next week

thanks. So I assume if a majority vote of the committee tomorrow morning to impeach then it gets sent to the full house?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
that's my understanding yeah

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
it's amazing the democrats don't have someone completely dedicated to poking trump all day every day. he responds to everything and clearly can't help himself.

just have someone on every cable news show saying "why is trump so afraid of <blank>" and watch the fireworks.

PopetasticPerson
Jun 18, 2006
People forget that how long the trial lasts will have a big impact on the 2020 primary. Sanders and Warren are going to be stuck in Washington for the duration of the trial and won't be able to campaign in the early states. So a longer trial with more witnesses and testimony benefits Biden. If you accept that Biden is more electable and is a bigger threat to Trump, then it's to the Republican's advantage to shorten the trial as much as possible to give Sanders and Warren a better chance at upsetting him. Since conviction in the Senate is essentially impossible already, that and saving seats ought to be the Republican's priority in how the trial plays out.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

PopetasticPerson posted:

People forget that how long the trial lasts will have a big impact on the 2020 primary. Sanders and Warren are going to be stuck in Washington for the duration of the trial and won't be able to campaign in the early states. So a longer trial with more witnesses and testimony benefits Biden. If you accept that Biden is more electable and is a bigger threat to Trump, then it's to the Republican's advantage to shorten the trial as much as possible to give Sanders and Warren a better chance at upsetting him. Since conviction in the Senate is essentially impossible already, that and saving seats ought to be the Republican's priority in how the trial plays out.

Trying not to get into primary chat, but is there any reason to believe Sanders and Warren will be present in the Senate for the trial other than for small bits and pieces? There's no real reason for them to be there because they both are going to vote to convict anyways and no one in the public will give a poo poo if they are campaigning in order to defeat Trump instead of in the Senate listening to a farce of a trial.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Mind_Taker posted:

Trying not to get into primary chat, but is there any reason to believe Sanders and Warren will be present in the Senate for the trial other than for small bits and pieces? There's no real reason for them to be there because they both are going to vote to convict anyways and no one in the public will give a poo poo if they are campaigning in order to defeat Trump instead of in the Senate listening to a farce of a trial.

no, they have to be there. Once the rules are set up, Roberts gets to make rulings, but they can be overturned by a majority vote

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mind_Taker posted:

yes, they will for-sure be there

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Dapper_Swindler posted:

if cruz does do it, he won't be the first, he will be one of the last and pretend he was some honorable roman senator type bullshit.
Nah, this means you don't understand Cruz. Cruz is known for randomly knifing people against his own interests and for no reason.

He's literally the scorpion from the fable.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

theflyingorc posted:

Nah, this means you don't understand Cruz. Cruz is known for randomly knifing people against his own interests and for no reason.

He's literally the scorpion from the fable.

very true, but cruz will try to paint himself as Brutus when doing it. personally, the GOP Establishment will turn on him will come quick as gently caress once a big enough name turns HARD on trump. that probably wont be cruz. my guess is maybe kashich or romeny and haley.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 11, 2019

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

eke out posted:

what you're asking about doesn't exist, presidential calls are (seriously) not recorded, they're transcribed live by multiple people, who then collectively merge their versions into a rough "transcript" like the one in this case after the fact

there is literally no Actual Transcript
This is speculation, but it certainly isn't beyond the realm of possibility that Russia has one. Not from a lol Trump standpoint, but predicated on the belief that GRU are doing their level best to intercept everything anyone close to power in Ukraine says, and it certainly looks like they're better at this kind of thing than Ukraine are.

Surveillance of diplomatic communications is something that more or less everyone with the capability to do so is doing, or attempting to do, more or less continuously. Like I would be willing to bet that following all this noise about the Trump-Zelensky call there are multiple European intelligence agencies that have made efforts to tap Zelensky's communications (if they weren't already) because they don't trust anything either side is saying. It really can't be overstated how frequently this kind of poo poo goes on between more or less everyone, including allies.

Like I'm not saying it definitely happened or even that it's more likely to have happened than not, but if I was doing a back-of-envelope threat model I'd assume any phone communications I had with anyone in power in Ukraine were being monitored by one or more foreign intelligence agencies. Like, more so than if I was calling, I dunno, the Prince of Liechtenstein or whatever.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SubG posted:

This is speculation, but it certainly isn't beyond the realm of possibility that Russia has one. Not from a lol Trump standpoint, but predicated on the belief that GRU are doing their level best to intercept everything anyone close to power in Ukraine says, and it certainly looks like they're better at this kind of thing than Ukraine are.

Surveillance of diplomatic communications is something that more or less everyone with the capability to do so is doing, or attempting to do, more or less continuously. Like I would be willing to bet that following all this noise about the Trump-Zelensky call there are multiple European intelligence agencies that have made efforts to tap Zelensky's communications (if they weren't already) because they don't trust anything either side is saying. It really can't be overstated how frequently this kind of poo poo goes on between more or less everyone, including allies.

Like I'm not saying it definitely happened or even that it's more likely to have happened than not, but if I was doing a back-of-envelope threat model I'd assume any phone communications I had with anyone in power in Ukraine were being monitored by one or more foreign intelligence agencies. Like, more so than if I was calling, I dunno, the Prince of Liechtenstein or whatever.

I am sure GRU has alot of our secrets now sadly. trump and co probably told them some but the WH is probably bugged to hell now and trumps phone sure as gently caress is.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
What are the odds that Trump feels like Mitch, in trying to conduct a copacetic trial to smooth things over infuriates Trump by denying him the full-throated vindication he demands.

My fantasy scenario is Trump compelling someone to read the call transcript in senate

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I don’t read comic books or watch kids movies. What the gently caress is a Thanos and a tony snap?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

GutBomb posted:

I don’t read comic books or watch kids movies. What the gently caress is a Thanos and a tony snap?

Mods?!

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

GutBomb posted:

Sort of like a Cleveland Steamer

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GutBomb posted:

There is no way to answer this without several paragraphs of dumb nerd poo poo so just leave it at "a pop culture reference that does not mean at all what they appear to believe it means"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

GutBomb posted:

thanos is big purple rear end in a top hat who is egotistical malthusian type and he kills of half the universe using a magic pain glove that has a bunch of stones in it that all have super duper powers. time travel poo poo insues and than the avengers bring everyone back and thanos and them have some big royal rumble in new jersey. the clip is from the end of the fight where thanos gets the new magic pain glove back and is about to kill most of the universe off again but iron man stole the stones out of it, put it in his armor and makes thanos dies looking sad while sitting on a rock as all his followers disintegrate around him.

what you need to know is the chuds are dumb and very projectiony.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 11, 2019

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

GutBomb posted:

I don’t read comic books or watch kids movies.

Or know how to use Google, apparently. Or would that interfere with this :spergin: take on pop culture?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thanos is big purple rear end in a top hat who egotistical malthusian type and he kills of half the universe using a magic pain glove that has a bunch of stones in it that all have super duper powers. time travel poo poo insues and than the avengers bring everyone back and thanos and them have some big royal rumble in new jersey. the clip is from the end of the fight where thanos gets the new magic pain glove back and is about to kill most of the universe off again but iron man stole the stones out of it, put it in his armor and makes thanos dies looking sad while sitting on a rock as all his followers disintegrate around him.

what you need to know is the chuds are dumb and very projectiony.

Thanks dawg, now it’s totally clear.

Baronash posted:

Or know how to use Google, apparently. Or would that interfere with this :spergin: take on pop culture?

Yeah I totally tried googling “thanos trump” but couldn’t really find anything explaining it.

Also I didn’t realize not knowing comic books was the new :spergin: but I’ll try to remember that.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

GutBomb posted:

Calm down guys, there's an adult in the thread now.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol Ukraine's been playing along and quietly not contradicting the White House and they're being punished for it

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1204876932195766272

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

no quid, no quo :smugbert:
wait poo poo