Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
The "Age Of..." 1 shots are all really nice. The art in all of them is pretty good and some were really really good! A mix of some nice stories and some that are kinda blah. I really liked the Jango one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I liked the Jabba the Hutt one, if only for the scene where the Imperial officer is on the commlink trying to stop the bank from repossessing his house. Even in the GFFA some things never change.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I enjoyed the Count Dooku one the most so far. I'd like the see more him pre-Attack of the Clones.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/CharlesSoule/status/1152381134694580224

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Cross-Section posted:

Lol Wendig wrote a story about a Vader-obsessive morgue tech for his cancelled comic and Marvel took it, changed the character to a female nurse, and churned out something that had me literally doing the Krusty "what the hell was that" gif by the end

I understand why people don't care for this comic but for some reasons i found vader's dead pan face absurdly funny. I kinda took the whole issue as making fun of the weird fangirls who want to fall in love with the hosed up villians of movies/books and kinda making fun of the people who do it with serial killers and such. it could have been framed better obviously though.

i assume they are just other jedi that took off with renn after he massacred lukes school.

Angry Salami posted:

Really? I kinda feel it's the other way around, that TFA portrays him as a pale imitation of Vader, throwing tantrums in the hall, and has him lose pathetically the one fight he actually has. While TLJ wants to make him a tragic figure with a backstory that tries to justify him, and redesigns his face scar to keep him attractive.

this. though i think TLJ tried to make him grow more as a character than just sith equivalent of a school shooter. i do like how he does find himself and than just doubles down on being a broken rear end in a top hat because he basicaly decides everything has to die so he can make the pain stop.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. though i think TLJ tried to make him grow more as a character than just sith equivalent of a school shooter. i do like how he does find himself and than just doubles down on being a broken rear end in a top hat because he basicaly decides everything has to die so he can make the pain stop.

It parallels Vader's development. In ANH Vader is just this scary guy, treated almost like an attack dog more than a person ("I expected to find you here, holding Vader's leash" and all), and its not til Empire where we start to get the context of him being human. We see a quick glimpse beneath the mask, we get the father reveal, etc. He goes from scary monster to character.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Snoke issue of Age of Resistance is something. He goes to Dagobah and Kylo blessblows up the evil cave.

e: Weird typo. Don't morning post, people.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 13, 2019

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The issue also makes explicit the abuse, physical and emotional, Snoke put Ben through that was mostly subtextual in TLJ

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I thought it was kind of pointless. We didn't really learn anything new and I swear Taylor just straight-up copied dialog from TLJ.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Endless Mike posted:

I thought it was kind of pointless. We didn't really learn anything new and I swear Taylor just straight-up copied dialog from TLJ.

A lot of the Age of ________ comics have been less New Reveals and more character moments with reinforcement of existing traits. With the Snoke issue in particular, I'm glad they're devoting more canonical time to the Ben/Snoke dynamic.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

None of the "Age of...." comics have really wowed me so far, though I haven't read the Snoke one. Some have been fine, some not, but none really stand out.

I have been enjoying the various IDW Star Wars Adventures comics, though. Again, not all are amazing but I feel like because they show bits and pieces from across continuity, and are (usually) just one-shot stories, they're able to show the kind of range (in both settings and tone) that the Marvel comics don't feel able to do.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

There's no reason Age of... can't be as fun and weird as the Marvel annuals but Adventures is definitely the better series.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I thought the Boba Fett and General Grievous ones were goos

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I just want to say that I’m amazed at how thrilling it is to read Aphra continually manage to gently caress everything up and screw everyone over while also somehow not getting herself killed in the process. She’s such a fun character to follow. And the ending of the last issue, holy poo poo! To somehow end up not getting immediately killed by Vader after everything is a miracle in itself

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Aphra is one of my favorite comic characters in a good while. She doesn't even fail upwards, just kind of pinballs from catastrophe to catastrophe.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Some stuff dropping at NYCC: The mainline Star Wars comic is restarting at #75, with Charles Soule stepping in as writer for the new run. Set immediately post-ESB. Greg Pak is switching over to write a Vader series, also post-ESB.

https://twitter.com/AiPTcomics/status/1180188791497220096
https://twitter.com/FriendsOfForce/status/1180190234874716160

Also more Aphra (duh) and a bounty-hunting comic.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Is Aphra continuing its numbering? Or ending its current run and restarting?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

jivjov posted:

Is Aphra continuing its numbering? Or ending its current run and restarting?

No clue, it sounds like the word is "we're doing more Aphra" and not much else

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I am so down for more Charles Soule Star wars

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I am more of a Kieron Gillen fan, when it comes to Vader and Star Wars comics in general, but Charles Soule has been doing very good work with this property too.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Wonder how long the post-ESB series will run, 25 issues? Seems like a good number. 75 issues for the three years between ANH and ESB, then 25 for the one year between the ESB and RotJ.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I was pretty exhausted of Gillen's run on Star Wars by the end. Mostly because Larocca just brought the entire thing down so hard.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
if dash rendar doesnt show up in the post esb run im declaring it non-canon

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

site posted:

if dash rendar doesnt show up in the post esb run im declaring it non-canon

For what it’s worth, Dash Rendar is canon again courtesy of one of the recent “Tales from Vandor” anthology.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s absolute bullshit that Vader doesn’t recognize his own loving droid.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s absolute bullshit that Vader doesn’t recognize his own loving droid.

I mean...he just reassembled a standard 3PO body. There's millions that look exactly the same

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Do they all have the same personality too?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Roth posted:

Do they all have the same personality too?

Broadly, yes - if TC-14 is any indication. 3PO seems to be a bit more neurotic than most, but they all have that over-eager, slightly surprised thing going on.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Well, this Rise of Kylo Ren cover reveals... quite a bit

solicitation posted:

With the new jedi school in ruins and fellow students hot on his trail for the murder of their master, Ben Solo flees to the only friend he has left in the galaxy…a man named Snoke. But Snoke has plans for Ben…and ideas about the Force that are as dangerous as they are intriguing for the troubled young jedi. If Ben wishes to be truly free…the answers might lie with the dark side. And with the Knights of Ren!

But it won’t be the first time he’s tangled with the Knights. In the past, Jedi Master Luke Skywalker journeys to the Unknown Regions and brings young Ben along for the mission. Can even Luke Skywalker stand against the fabled Knights of Ren?!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Okay... I'm all-in on that.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Didn't see a solicit for Doctor Aphra

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Roth posted:

Didn't see a solicit for Doctor Aphra

Oh hey
https://www.newsarama.com/47583-star-wars-doctor-aphra.html

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Vader series is also relaunching in 2020. It seems like all the main Star Wars titles are relaunching then to be post-ESB.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

At least that works for in-universe and is a semi-legit and understandable reason to relaunch as #1s. Run for about two years or so, then finally launch post-RotJ with some new #1s. That would put them beyond TRoS release and give them enough time to plan out that time period even more for the main cast.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Chairman Capone posted:

Okay... I'm all-in on that.

Same. Wasn't on my radar, but now very hyped now for that.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Ughh thank god. i was super upset when i saw the january solicits. This is one of my favorite books.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

jivjov posted:

Broadly, yes - if TC-14 is any indication. 3PO seems to be a bit more neurotic than most, but they all have that over-eager, slightly surprised thing going on.

Even 0-0-0 has it! At the very least he's often over-eager.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Preview for Rise of Kylo Ren #1:

https://www.starwars.com/news/the-rise-of-kylo-ren-1-exclusive

Finally get to see Luke's other Jedi students.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

Preview for Rise of Kylo Ren #1:

https://www.starwars.com/news/the-rise-of-kylo-ren-1-exclusive

Finally get to see Luke's other Jedi students.

Kyp Durron was the first to fall to Ben's blade. RIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Holy poo poo, Aphra loving rules when is she getting a Disney+ show?