Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Talorat posted:

I thought the joke of the teleportation is that they couldn't afford to animate your ladder climbing so they just faded to black.

That's exactly the joke, one of your skills (conceptualization?) even chimes in to say it would be too expensive to animate yourself climbing the ladder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Actually, it's "Ani". Such an important word has to be expressable with just three letters. Everything longer would clutter up everyday language.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Yeah, there's a real lack of animation in the game beyond the walking/running one. And the tribunal, I guess.

The NPC's in general are very static. It'd be nice to see more life-like NPC's in the sequel/expansion.

itry fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 11, 2019

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

itry posted:

Yeah, there's a real lack of animation in the game beyond the walking/running one. And the tribunal, I guess.

The NPC's in general are very static. It'd be nice to see more life-like NPC's in the sequel/expansion.

If ever there was a game that would benefit from Fallout 1&2-style talking heads, it's this one.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Digital Osmosis posted:

Nah, you can take it off and put it back on and get the pop-up. The purple thought circle where it tells you it's go time is easy to miss or a little iffy in firing though. I've got it to reliably fire by stopping by the drunks after confronting the person just past the point of no return, on my way to the tribunal.

Also I'm coming towards the end of my first draft of my essay on the pale, really just one section left, and it's already just shy of four thousand words. Lessons learned: I really, really need to edit myself down. Writing directly about philosophy is almost an entirely new medium to me, and writing in new mediums is very loving hard. There might not be any way to discuss phenomenology without resorting to fuzzy, almost mystical language. Well... at least I have a bit more appreciation now for the people I've read who made me go "These are cool ideas but why couldn't you just loving lay them out for me straight?"

I look forward to reading it!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the animation is nonexistent but the environment and character art is good enough that id still call the graphics "good"

itry posted:

dont forget the smoking animation

and egg head

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Shear Modulus posted:

the animation is nonexistent but the environment and character art is good enough that id still call the graphics "good"

dont forget the smoking animation

and egg head

Also the dancing.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

And running for the door of the Whirling in Rags, spinning round to give a double finger to Garte and crashing into Lena

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

And the sickass 360 spin kick! :frogc00l:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I don't know where some headlines are getting 90 hour playtimes. It takes 20 for an average playthrough, 30 for a completionist run, and the bulk of the game happens in the right third of the map. If there was a much-needed fast-travel system, or the backtracking-feature in Pillars II, then another two hours would have been shaved off the runtime. Returning to Evrart everytime is such a chore that could have been avoided.

wilbur.walsh
Jan 3, 2008

Whoaaaat?
So is it actually possible to aproach the plasmid and interact with it? Whats the requisite for that?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

wilbur.walsh posted:

So is it actually possible to aproach the plasmid and interact with it? Whats the requisite for that?

Do the cryptozooloogists questline. The conversation with it is down to an inland empire check which suggests it’s just Harry imagining said interaction though.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Inland Empire might just be imagination most of the time, but the phasmid is totally real. Because I want it to be. It's so good.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Inland Empire might just be imagination most of the time, but the phasmid is totally real. Because I want it to be. It's so good.

All of IE's outlandish suggestions come true...

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Night10194 posted:

It is, the conversation you have with it isn’t - I think.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Avalerion posted:

It is, the conversation you have with it isn’t - I think.

I mean the talk. We know it's real; Kim saw it and got an awesome picture!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I don't know where some headlines are getting 90 hour playtimes. It takes 20 for an average playthrough, 30 for a completionist run, and the bulk of the game happens in the right third of the map. If there was a much-needed fast-travel system, or the backtracking-feature in Pillars II, then another two hours would have been shaved off the runtime. Returning to Evrart everytime is such a chore that could have been avoided.

It took me 39 hours to complete the game on the first run through. Granted, I did a lot of intentional walking to soak up the atmosphere and music, but it was a quite a decent length game. Not 60 hours. But there is easily 60+ hours of actual differing content in this game.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Maybe some people are just really slow readers.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I took Inland Empire to be a minor psychic ability awakened by the massive amount of drugs, booze, and Pale influence in the detective. With how often it's right and accurately precognitive, and the general magical realism of the setting, that makes more sense to me than it simply being imagination. That also fits into the whole "skill named after a David Lynch movie" aspect.

There isn't much animation in the game, but they sure as hell didn't waste what resources they had available. The animations in the game are awesome, and I'm glad they prioritized the dance scene over climbing the ladder. If only all design teams made similar decisions.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Game is so good in comparison to everything else it bends time. 1 hour is actually 3 hours in game.

Truly a crowning achievement, by an unknown team of 5000 to 1 rank outsiders. They've got that Contact Mike spunk

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Arrhythmia posted:

All of IE's outlandish suggestions come true...

this can often be chalked up to Harry's repressed memory, so one could interpret it as "the phasmid" being his subconscious telling him to get his poo poo together.

it could be, but the phasmid is real, and strong, and its my friend

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The animations were impressive to me overall. Every character, especially Harry, seems to have an animation for what is going on. Character lean against stuff, or over rails, or sit in rocking chairs, smoke cigarettes, sleep in tube, etc. It's a minor thing and I agree it'd be cool to see more folks milling about, but at the very least everyone is in a sort of "action pose" doing whatever their text description says they're doing. And Harry is cool, everything from busting down a door and then holding his injured arm, to performing a throat punch/flying spinning roundhouse kick type poo poo. Compared to other games that are in the isometric RPG category, I think this game is far more meticulously animated than anything else I can think of.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I actually really like how Everything moves very quickly, then slows down and stops as you get a snapshot of what's going on, during the actual Tribunal gunfight. It's a great visual representation of turn-based RPG combat.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Dolores Dei was definitely some kind of jacked up Pale wizard. Even throwing away the stuff like glowing lungs and forgetting to breathe, the history doesn't lie. She went from random spouse of a minor noble to having her queen crown her through sheer ???. She independently invented the actual concept of interisolary travel, somehow knowing how to do it and which direction to throw the explorers in without any reason or means.

Shivers identifies itself as a part of the World Spirit. Dolores Dei started her crusade with the intent of unifying humanity into the World Spirit. Folks, Dolores Dei is what happens if you supercharge Inland Empire, Esprit de Corps and Shivers and they give you insight and camaraderie with the entire planet at once. Oh and enough Rhetoric to make a queen abdicate to you.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Would other games in the same universe be worthwhile?

I don't think a sequel would be fun, because the theme of the game is self-discovery after a mental breakdown, and everything that comes after the game is gonna be the same kind of drudgery that led to your breakdown

I like that the game is set amongst the detritus of society. Would a game set amongst high society be as fun? You wouldn't be able to gently caress up and go wild without repercussions

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Disco Elysium: The Quest for the Cocaine Skull

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Enjoy posted:

Would other games in the same universe be worthwhile?

I don't think a sequel would be fun, because the theme of the game is self-discovery after a mental breakdown, and everything that comes after the game is gonna be the same kind of drudgery that led to your breakdown

I like that the game is set amongst the detritus of society. Would a game set amongst high society be as fun? You wouldn't be able to gently caress up and go wild without repercussions

I don't think a sequel to DE would or should follow DE's themes of identity and existence so much, so I basically agree with your point. It is worth noting however that the setting was developed as the creators' tabletop RPG setting, and those are usually created with a lot of space for adventure and storytelling in mind. Think about a game set during Dolor's Dei's reign, or during the Gaadian revolution, or in some corner of the present we haven't discovered, or one set in Revachol during The Return, or... You might not get into the same themes of identity, but as long as the pale is there you'll be able to hit some of those existential beats, and they might have other modernist ideas worth exploring.

I'm convinced Inland Empire is entirely non-supernatural, and so the conversation with the Phasmid is entirely a projection from Harry's mind but there's no real textual evidence as far as I can tell that would definitively answer things. I just prefer to think of it as an intuition / unconscious skill and vastly prefer that spoilered conversation if it was entirely in your head.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I don't want a direct sequel but I'd love anything else set in the same world. The worldbuilding is easily one of the best parts of the game and it's be a shame to not see it used again (besides the upcoming book.)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Kurvitz says he's a huge Fallout 1 fan.

I wonder what kind of Fallout game he'd make if he was given free reins.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Lots of potential in that setting. I'd love to play as Klaasje during her past.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Inland empire may be supernatural. Shivers, on the other hand, is 100% a psychic power. This is actually explicit: on the website, the devs describe it as the only explicitly supernatural power.

Espirit De Corps may also be supernatural.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The animations were impressive, when they were there. Compared to other isometric RPG's they're probably better overall, that's true.
I guess I just want the NPC's to interact more with each other, or vary their routines.

Night10194 posted:

I actually really like how Everything moves very quickly, then slows down and stops as you get a snapshot of what's going on, during the actual Tribunal gunfight. It's a great visual representation of turn-based RPG combat.

It was extremely effective. That fight was intense.

Digital Osmosis posted:

Think about a game set during Dolor's Dei's reign, or during the Gaadian revolution, or in some corner of the present we haven't discovered, or one set in Revachol during The Return, or... You might not get into the same themes of identity, but as long as the pale is there you'll be able to hit some of those existential beats, and they might have other modernist ideas worth exploring.

I'd be up for exploring the Insulindian ocean back when it was discovered. Lots of potentialy interesting stuff in there. A new land, the first settlers, the Pale receding.
That's before Dora Dolores was declared an Innocence.

I'd love to play as this guy:

discoelysium.gamepedia posted:

One of the men in this secret service killed her -- 22 years later. A young man who had come to suspect that Dolores Dei was not entirely human...

NewMars posted:

Inland empire may be supernatural. Shivers, on the other hand, is 100% a psychic power. This is actually explicit: on the website, the devs describe it as the only explicitly supernatural power.

Espirit De Corps may also be supernatural.

There's an item in the game that won't appear in its location if you don't have high Shivers. So if it's a real power, then it suggests that the spirit of Revachol is real and that it can move objects around or create them. :tinfoil:

itry fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 11, 2019

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Avalerion posted:

There’s literally a guy who warps light by being rich, this setting just has weird stuff like that.

Fun thing I noticed - if you walk around the container your wealth increases as you get closer to him.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

itry posted:

There's an item in the game that won't appear in its location if you don't have high Shivers. So if it's a real power, then it suggests that the spirit of Revachol is real and that it can move objects around or create them. :tinfoil:

Whoa, what is it?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Accretionist posted:

Whoa, what is it?

It's a coat - https://discoelysium.gamepedia.com/Polar_Anorak

+1 Composure: Under the polar lights

+1 Shivers: Gift from La Revacholiere

The wiki only mentions a perception check, which is false. My first playthrough had Harry with a very high perception rank but I didn't find it.
Second playthrough I had a conversation with Shivers telling me that there's a coat waiting for me buried in a concrete pipe because Harry was feeling cold on the coast.

itry fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 11, 2019

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

itry posted:

It's a coat - https://discoelysium.gamepedia.com/Polar_Anorak

+1 Composure: Under the polar lights

+1 Shivers: Gift from La Revacholiere

The wiki only mentions a perception check, which is false. My first playthrough had Harry with a very high perception rank but I didn't find it.
Second playthrough I had a conversation with Shivers telling me that there's a coat waiting for me buried in a concrete pipe because Harry was feeling cold on the coast.

I found that but I didn't realise it was a special gift, maybe it should have 3 stat boosts so I put away my swanky police commander jacket?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It's a shame that you can only get it near the end of the game too.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Skellybones posted:

Dolores Dei was definitely some kind of jacked up Pale wizard. Even throwing away the stuff like glowing lungs and forgetting to breathe, the history doesn't lie. She went from random spouse of a minor noble to having her queen crown her through sheer ???. She independently invented the actual concept of interisolary travel, somehow knowing how to do it and which direction to throw the explorers in without any reason or means.

Shivers identifies itself as a part of the World Spirit. Dolores Dei started her crusade with the intent of unifying humanity into the World Spirit. Folks, Dolores Dei is what happens if you supercharge Inland Empire, Esprit de Corps and Shivers and they give you insight and camaraderie with the entire planet at once. Oh and enough Rhetoric to make a queen abdicate to you.

i'm not sure if i agree with your conception of the world spirit. i interpret it as them just using the hegelian concept of the world spirit with dolores dei as a napoleon^2. she's not just the world spirit riding a horse -a true force of progress that advances society towards the end of history-, but, as the world spirit has physical as well as ideal attributes in the world of DE, as history turned into a person. she obviously has some special powers, but those help to guide humanity along the right path. she is napoleon riding his horse through jena, but also the historical forces that led to napoleon defeating the prussians and completing a necessary step in the realisation of Geist

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
At the beginning, does it matter if I try to hyperfocus on a certain area of the map outside of the hotel or if I start roaming around the map talking to randos? It feels like they give you a pretty loose leash early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

DreadCthulhu posted:

At the beginning, does it matter if I try to hyperfocus on a certain area of the map outside of the hotel or if I start roaming around the map talking to randos? It feels like they give you a pretty loose leash early on.

Do whatever