Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bioshock mainly held me on the strength of the sightseeing, to be honest, but that was well enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
The next installment of the Halo franchise has also been subtitled infinite. I hope this is the start of a trend.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Are there any active Deus Ex threads? The last two that I had bookmarked haven't had posts since '16 and '17. So I'll just post here otherwise, 0451 and all.

So, I just bought & finished Mankind Divided over the thankgiving sale. Went in knowing that there was a lot of bad - the terrible DLC etc, so was able to ignore it. Everyone was right, Prague was very well done, but I gotta say, it probably would have served better in a different game. The open world was a treasure to poke around in and explore, with lots of small storytelling details, all lovely, but... Having such an open-world available really ruins the pacing of the game, not to mention the power progression of the player. You can lug over and sell random guns to vendors! This is bad! So by the time most of the player base gets off their arse and does the first mission, they've probably got 50% of the availablexp in the entire game, and a several fully kitted out guns. Oops. Compare this to MD, which has the retroactively-funny moment where after yelling at the player for 15 minutes to show up, hostages die (oops). It's good world-building in a different way.

And then there's the whole monstrosity of the praxis/xp system combined and how it affects poo poo like QoL 'upgrades' vs actual cool gameplay augs. Ugh. Worth playing through if you get it on a sale imo?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bioshock 1 was a lukewarm rehash of SS2 right down to the bad final level and disappointing final boss, except worse in every way except aesthetics, and Bioshock Infinite sucked on toast, so this doesn't exactly fill me with excitement.

(Watch it turn out to be Prey 2 except they called it Bioshock for some reason the same way they called Prey Prey instead of System Shock 3)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Serephina posted:

Are there any active Deus Ex threads? The last two that I had bookmarked haven't had posts since '16 and '17. So I'll just post here otherwise, 0451 and all.

So, I just bought & finished Mankind Divided over the thankgiving sale. Went in knowing that there was a lot of bad - the terrible DLC etc, so was able to ignore it. Everyone was right, Prague was very well done, but I gotta say, it probably would have served better in a different game. The open world was a treasure to poke around in and explore, with lots of small storytelling details, all lovely, but... Having such an open-world available really ruins the pacing of the game, not to mention the power progression of the player. You can lug over and sell random guns to vendors! This is bad! So by the time most of the player base gets off their arse and does the first mission, they've probably got 50% of the availablexp in the entire game, and a several fully kitted out guns. Oops. Compare this to MD, which has the retroactively-funny moment where after yelling at the player for 15 minutes to show up, hostages die (oops). It's good world-building in a different way.

And then there's the whole monstrosity of the praxis/xp system combined and how it affects poo poo like QoL 'upgrades' vs actual cool gameplay augs. Ugh. Worth playing through if you get it on a sale imo?

There is! It's for the 10th anniversary of the original, which means it's coming up on its own tenth anniversary soon.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Champion! Thank you

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

Bioshock 1 was a lukewarm rehash of SS2 right down to the bad final level and disappointing final boss, except worse in every way except aesthetics, and Bioshock Infinite sucked on toast, so this doesn't exactly fill me with excitement.

(Watch it turn out to be Prey 2 except they called it Bioshock for some reason the same way they called Prey Prey instead of System Shock 3)

Ken Levine isn't involved in the new one and his ego and "both sides are badism" should be absent and if the story quality is as good as the Bioshock 2 dlc then it probably has a good chance of being the best Bioshock game.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Bioshock 1 was one of my best rent vs buy decisions ever, and I got super lucky grabbing the last copy available at Family Video the weekend it launched. Easily beat the whole thing over the weekend, I would have been pissed dropping $60 on that. It was pretty good, decently fun, great aesthetics, but felt like a super dumbed down SS2 (duh). It was clear it was designed for console players first, everything was incredibly simple. Oh yeah, the ending was and is historically awful. The entire end stretch was done 6/10

I was in no rush to play Bioshock 2, scooped it for cheap during a Steam Sale a few months after launch; again, I would have been pissed paying full price for that game. It was more of the same: dumbed down, but rather pretty, System Shock 2. Even if there were improvements made to the game, it felt worse since the aesthetic was the exact same as 1. Ending was trash again, but I was expecting it this time. 5/10

Never played 3, and probably never will, especially with all of the complaints I've read over time.

Then Prey came out and within the first 15 minutes of gameplay I knew it was what I was waiting for all of those years. 10/10

So "Bioshock 4" being announced is pretty drat disappointing. Yippee, another trash console-oriented "immersive sim" where I piss bees out of my hands.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Ken Levine isn't involved in the new one and his ego and "both sides are badism" should be absent and if the story quality is as good as the Bioshock 2 dlc then it probably has a good chance of being the best Bioshock game.

:hmmyes: a chance at being the best piece of trash out of a heaping pile of wasted potential.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I enjoyed taking on the freakishly buff man with no genitals.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Serephina posted:

DXMD was a shame because the gameplay/combat was much better than DXHR which couldn't have been pushing you into pacifist/stealth any harder. It's very blatantly a game with two acts of a three act story that badly needed another hub level.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I haven't played MD, but the impression I got from HR was that a bunch of people who love and understand immersive sims worked on it, but they weren't the people in charge.

The main reason I noped out on MD was that they apparently didn't improve the atrocious XP system at all.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Mankind Divided is good and fun, I hope you get a chance to experience it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I actually felt the push for pacifism is still going strong in MD. The entire prequels are built very strongly on Jensens's takedowns, from the biocell regen mechanics all the way on up to enemy placement. About halfway through I remembered that I wasn't going for stupid cheevos, so the Foxiest and Pacifist playstyle was pointless. I just started shooting mooks in the head, and I gotta say, the gunplay is pretty lackluster, especially considering there's literally 18 types of bullets. There's only one 'fun' gun, the GL, which opts out of the entire gun upgrade system (whyyy), with all the normal guns being variations on gross overkill since every enemy is made of paper, even the robots.

And then you find out the game doesn't properly recognize the player being a murderer or not, so all your efforts where moot.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Original Deus Ex is to me still the best 0451 game ever made. The main reason is I think how minimal the combat can be in that game. If you play it stealthy most of the "combat" is you sniping dudes or whacking/zapping them in the lower back before they can do anything, They worked much like obstacles similar to doors or cameras or consoles. You weren't so much fighting them as circumventing them. I think unless a 0451 is willing to go hard into combat to the point that it could carry the game by itself, I think the best approach is to minimize the actual fighting you're expected to do. Basically the same way I feel about hacking minigames and the like: if I'm in your game for one thing, don't tack on other systems that aren't as good as they just get in the way. Anything that distracts from the exploration, looting, overcoming obstacles and the story is probably going to drag the whole thing down. Almost the whole time I was playing Prey I felt like the game would be much improved if I wasn't actually expected to fight much if anything.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Prey I feel handled it well enough; the enemies are dangerous and can be avoided as you said, but also taking them head-on is both risky and taxing of resources. The second part I feel is the most important for limited-resource games.

Now of course things go off the rails lategame as Morgan gets beefier than god, but that's more about Neuromod crafting and one OP skill (combat reflexes) than anything else.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mr. Fortitude posted:

*anxiously staring at a dog's rear end in a top hat* this next turd could turn out to be the best one yet

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Bioshock Infinite was fun as long as you treated it like a theme park ride with shooty bits, basically like a first person Uncharted. Of course you'll hate the game if you expect it to be an immersive sim. :shrug:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Jan posted:

Bioshock Infinite was fun as long as you treated it like a theme park ride with shooty bits, basically like a first person Uncharted. Of course you'll hate the game if you expect it to be an immersive sim. :shrug:

The gameplay was good for what it was but it’s not surprising people expected something different from it given its predecessors. not that bioshock 1 and 2 were exactly faithful to their spiritual predecessor themselves (IMO out of everything that gets referenced as an “0451 game” I would say the bioshocks qualify the least and just do not go in the same bin as the deus exes, system shocks, dishonoreds and prey 2017)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

QuarkJets posted:

*anxiously staring at a dog's rear end in a top hat* this next turd could turn out to be the best one yet

Jeez come on

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

The gameplay was good for what it was but it’s not surprising people expected something different from it given its predecessors. not that bioshock 1 and 2 were exactly faithful to their spiritual predecessor themselves (IMO out of everything that gets referenced as an “0451 game” I would say the bioshocks qualify the least and just do not go in the same bin as the deus exes, system shocks, dishonoreds and prey 2017)

I think that's the disconnect for a lot of people. Bioshock is a great game, but it's definitely not an immersive sim, even if it takes cues from immsimms in some ways.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I remember reading a game informer article about Bioshock and about how ADAM worked and being so excited for it since I'd never seen a video of it and had to make it up in my mind. Then I played it and it was fine. Alright, later!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It was the Billy Idol of immersive sim. Was it an immersive sim? Not by any true metric, but it was good and it sang cool songs about sex, and the traits it selectively inherited from its Authentic Immersive Sim forebears ended up proliferating wildly among games that were even less Authentic Immersive Sim from that point forward. It's easy to not give it credit as the greatest Pop Immersive Sim of the 80's, perhaps of all time, but that doesn't change the fact.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Basic Chunnel posted:

It was the Billy Idol of immersive sim. Was it an immersive sim? Not by any true metric, but it was good and it sang cool songs about sex, and the traits it selectively inherited from its Authentic Immersive Sim forebears ended up proliferating wildly among games that were even less Authentic Immersive Sim from that point forward. It's easy to not give it credit as the greatest Pop Immersive Sim of the 80's, perhaps of all time, but that doesn't change the fact.

Why are there copies of the style section all over the place? Do you have a dog? A little chow or something?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Are you saying Billy Idol wasn't an authentic shock experience?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx2fZU5USus

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i wanna see the earlier version of bioshock without little sisters where the underwater ecosystem and lifecycle of the slugs were supposed to affect gameplay

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I’m thinking it would have been a lot like Jurassic Park: Trespasser where they couldn’t actually get the dinos to switch routines from fight to gently caress to feed so they just left it set at fight.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

nate wells said they created the little sisters after realizing that harvesting slimy sea slugs didn't make for a sufficiently compelling moral quandary

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
oh

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
And then they decided to kneecap the moral quandary because all their players roleplayer as psychopaths.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

That’s why it’s good

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I just wish bioshock had had fewer superpowers that were just "gun with status effect" and more that did something interesting. This sort of applies to Prey too, there's a lot of typhon mods that are just flashy damage, (and are generally worse than if you just tricked out your shotgun or q beam) but at least Prey lets me turn into a garbage can like a true goon, and launch myself across the cargo bay as people scream and shoot me to death.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Prey does need a bees power, it's true.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
So I have a HP Reverb (wmr vr headset) and was finally able to login to typhon hunter and transtar vr. I just played around for a little bit in Transtar VR, but the visual fidelity is pretty insane. It's really cool to be standing in Morgan's office in VR. I think I just need to set up the controllers properly because it was definitely made with Vive in mind.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Was thinking about rebuying Prey on sale on PS4 just to give the VR bit a spin in PSVR. Is it more than an hour of content?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

dishwasherlove posted:

Was thinking about rebuying Prey on sale on PS4 just to give the VR bit a spin in PSVR. Is it more than an hour of content?

I finished all 3 missions with Transtar VR and it's about an hour worth, depending on how fast you solve the puzzles. I haven't tried typhon hunter yet.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Some Prey folks went indie and are basically making a occult-western top down immersive sim (?) for Devolver Digital

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/12/13/arkane-veterans-announce-weird-west/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rQzjVlQUYQ

quote:

“Discover a dark fantasy reimagining of the Wild West where lawmen and gunslingers share the frontier with fantastical creatures. Journey through the origin stories of a group of atypical heroes, written into legend by the decisions you make in an unforgiving land. Each journey is unique and tailored to the actions taken – a series of high stakes stories where everything counts and the world reacts to the choices you make. Form a posse or venture forth alone into an otherworldly confines of the Weird West and make each legend your own.”

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

hah, i was recently thinking about whether/how you could make an immersive sim work in a sidescrolling or top down perspective, to keep costs down

not much to go on in the trailer

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

also lol another one

https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/1205327878360928256?s=20

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

an arpg immsimm. okay, i'm interested

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

You know what? I doubted Arkane with the roguelike thing for Mooncrash and I was so wrong. Maybe this will be cool.