Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

If the character graphics are in cutscenes and not in-game, maybe Interstate '76?

This was it! Thank you!! I'm surprised my super hazy recollection got a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Holy poo poo

I played I76 so much back in the day and I never even knew this existed

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This would have been on the Commodore 64. What I remember most about it is that it played from a first-person perspective, albeit not true 3D of course -- instead you'd transition between scenes by interacting with doors (maybe by clicking on them?), and within a scene sometimes you could scroll left/right. I also remember that you had a basic claw-looking thing by default, though you could also find some guns. My impression is that you were in a space suit or environment suit or something like that, but it's also possible you played as a robot or an alien. I never got very far.

While this list is massive (679 entries, according to a copy-paste into Excel :eyepop:), searching for 'Commodore' narrows it down to 18 possibilities (assuming this is a definitive list).

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

There was a game that I remember playing on the sega channel that was an action game with a bird's eye view and a fantasy-anime like setting. you could choose from atleast 3 different characters who had different weapons and possibly rescue more as the game went on. had a very melodramatic intro cinematic.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Super long shot, but maybe Arcus Odyssey?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6k2sNreHhI

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Lotion Tester posted:

Super long shot, but maybe Arcus Odyssey?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6k2sNreHhI

That's exactly it! Thanks

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Here one I can not figure out. An educational game from the 90's with the characters being super heroes. I don;t have much info beyond that. I had borrowed the CD once from a neighbor kid.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

mateo360 posted:

Here one I can not figure out. An educational game from the 90's with the characters being super heroes. I don;t have much info beyond that. I had borrowed the CD once from a neighbor kid.

Hyperman?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

al-azad posted:

Hyperman?

No, it was more of a team.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

mateo360 posted:

a mathmatics team? with a superheroine that could turn into a geometrical shape that you had to match with how many sides she had?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

E-Tank posted:

a mathmatics team? with a superheroine that could turn into a geometrical shape that you had to match with how many sides she had?

Maybe? I want to say it was multisubject but I don’t remember

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I have a whopping three games that I've wondered about for years, and I just discovered this thread existed.

First one was a first-person RPG, I don't remember a ton about it except that it was one of the first games I remember seeing where you could get different pieces of equipment for a bunch of armor slots, so you would get greaves, pauldrons, cuirasses, boots, etc. instead of just "armor". It wasn't Daggerfall or Hexen or anything well known, but it would have been around that era and similar graphically, I think.

Second is an FPS, I can't remember a ton about it other than that there were tons and tons of secret doors and hidden locations, and the weapons were all more futuristic/sci-fi than realistic. I think it would have come out sometime between Rise of the Triad and Unreal 1, so maybe '95-'98? Also it's possible you either played as or could play as a giant alligator/lizardperson but that might be a fever dream.

Last one was a top-down tactical rpg (think Shining Force style) that had an absolutely massive number of character creation options, if my memory is to be believed. I think you made your entire party, and could have quite a few characters, and there were a lot of non-traditional (for the time) races and classes, like I'm pretty sure there was one, if not two, catpeople races, and demons, and etc. I think I had a catperson warlock who fought people with nunchakus. I don't remember the game necessarily being good, or well written, or even finished, for that matter.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

Second is an FPS, I can't remember a ton about it other than that there were tons and tons of secret doors and hidden locations, and the weapons were all more futuristic/sci-fi than realistic. I think it would have come out sometime between Rise of the Triad and Unreal 1, so maybe '95-'98? Also it's possible you either played as or could play as a giant alligator/lizardperson but that might be a fever dream.

IDK about the other two but this is probably In Pursuit of Greed

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

IDK about the other two but this is probably In Pursuit of Greed

It isn't, the game I'm thinking of was more brightly colored, I wish I could remember anything else about it.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

I'm looking for a game I played as a kid in the early to mid 2000s. It was a platformer where you controlled someone using a jetpack (or rocket, I don't remember), and was on PC. It was probably a flash game, but I'm not sure. I remember finding it hard, but that may be because I was a kid. IIRC you could only use the jetpack/rocket to move, and couldn't walk, but that may be wrong.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

It isn't, the game I'm thinking of was more brightly colored, I wish I could remember anything else about it.

When did you play these games and what platform did you play them all? Are they all 90s PC games?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

Cybermage?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

MockingQuantum posted:

This a shot in the dark, but may it be Turok, dinosaur hunter? It released in the time frame, has a fair number of secrets, and has plenty of weapons that are futuristic. It doesn't allow you to play as a giant alligator or anything AFAIK, but if that was a fever dream this could be it.

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

MockingQuantum posted:

Last one was a top-down tactical rpg (think Shining Force style) that had an absolutely massive number of character creation options, if my memory is to be believed. I think you made your entire party, and could have quite a few characters, and there were a lot of non-traditional (for the time) races and classes, like I'm pretty sure there was one, if not two, catpeople races, and demons, and etc. I think I had a catperson warlock who fought people with nunchakus. I don't remember the game necessarily being good, or well written, or even finished, for that matter.

Is this one Realmz?

https://www.mobygames.com/game/realmz

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

MockingQuantum posted:

First one was a first-person RPG, I don't remember a ton about it except that it was one of the first games I remember seeing where you could get different pieces of equipment for a bunch of armor slots, so you would get greaves, pauldrons, cuirasses, boots, etc. instead of just "armor". It wasn't Daggerfall or Hexen or anything well known, but it would have been around that era and similar graphically, I think.

This sounds like Ultima Underworld, not only the first first-person RPG but also the game whose early prototypes inspired Wolfenstein 3D.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

al-azad posted:

When did you play these games and what platform did you play them all? Are they all 90s PC games?

They all would have been mid-90s to early 2000s PC/DOS games, and chances are good I only ever played shareware versions of them. The first two may have been on one of those CDs that had tons of zip files of shareware games, the third one I think may have been late enough that it was something I downloaded off the internet so all bets are off on whether it even existed for more than a minute.

Hakkesshu posted:

Cybermage?

No but it's definitely in the ballpark.

MegaZeroX posted:

This a shot in the dark, but may it be Turok, dinosaur hunter? It released in the time frame, has a fair number of secrets, and has plenty of weapons that are futuristic. It doesn't allow you to play as a giant alligator or anything AFAIK, but if that was a fever dream this could be it.

No, I played a lot of Turok and this was something else. Similar graphics and gameplay, if I remember right.

ManxomeBromide posted:

This sounds like Ultima Underworld, not only the first first-person RPG but also the game whose early prototypes inspired Wolfenstein 3D.

Nah I remember Ultima Underworld pretty well, I think this was something else that had simultaneously better and worse graphics (more "advanced", but shittier-looking)

Almost certainly. If not that exactly, it was a mod of it. Nicely done!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Was the FPS game full 3D or 2.5d? Do you remember if the enemies were sprites or 3D models?

Was the first person RPG fully 3D like Ultima Underworld or was it grid-based like Wizardry? You said it wasn't Daggerfall so I'm guessing you also ruled out Arena.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Given the timeframe and likelihood of being shareware I feel the other two games are Raven Software titles like Black Crypt/ShadowCaster and the FPS is probably CyClones.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

MockingQuantum posted:

It's rather obscure, but there's a small chance this could be Amulets and Armor.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

al-azad posted:

Was the FPS game full 3D or 2.5d? Do you remember if the enemies were sprites or 3D models?

Was the first person RPG fully 3D like Ultima Underworld or was it grid-based like Wizardry? You said it wasn't Daggerfall so I'm guessing you also ruled out Arena.

I'm fairly sure the FPS was full 3D but my memory of it is pretty sparse.

I think the RPG was fully 3D. Wasn't Arena either, no. I'm trying to remember anything else about it, even just hunting around Moby Games might shake something loose.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

al-azad posted:

Given the timeframe and likelihood of being shareware I feel the other two games are Raven Software titles like Black Crypt/ShadowCaster and the FPS is probably CyClones.

ponzicar posted:

It's rather obscure, but there's a small chance this could be Amulets and Armor.

So fun fact, I'm pretty sure the game I'm thinking of is Amulets and Armor, I remember the weird like waveform display thing in the UI. But I was also conflating it with ShadowCaster (the next thing I thought of, before looking these up, was "it had a lot of wands, and I think you turned into monsters") So good job on finding both the game I was thinking of, and another one that I didn't know I was thinking of!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

al-azad posted:

and the FPS is probably CyClones.

Forgot to say, it's not this. I did remember, in the FPS, there were also a load of cheat codes that I either found or were readily available, that let you noclip through walls and fly and stuff, and the environments were at least somewhat designed around being able to move vertically, so it was probably a fully 3D game.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

Forgot to say, it's not this. I did remember, in the FPS, there were also a load of cheat codes that I either found or were readily available, that let you noclip through walls and fly and stuff, and the environments were at least somewhat designed around being able to move vertically, so it was probably a fully 3D game.

Chasm: The Rift?

Corridor 7: Alien Invasion?

Strife?

Really getting stumped here.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ScummVM style point & click adventure game, main character was a nerdy high school or college kid, you dealt with bullies and stuff and i think there was an alien invasion subplot, the title was something like [CHARACTER NAME]: Invasion of [NAME OF ALIEN SPECIES] or whatever, it wasn't Zach McKracken or anything like that, it was obscure and I only had the shareware version

First screen of the shareware was in a park and you were talking to your love interest

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm going with Eradicator from 1996 for that one.

MockingQuantum posted:

I think this was something else that had simultaneously better and worse graphics (more "advanced", but shittier-looking)

Never played it, but that made me think it could be Stonekeep - which appears to also have different armor slots.

westborn fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Dec 10, 2019

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Shibawanko posted:

ScummVM style point & click adventure game, main character was a nerdy high school or college kid, you dealt with bullies and stuff and i think there was an alien invasion subplot, the title was something like [CHARACTER NAME]: Invasion of [NAME OF ALIEN SPECIES] or whatever, it wasn't Zach McKracken or anything like that, it was obscure and I only had the shareware version

First screen of the shareware was in a park and you were talking to your love interest

Willy Beamish?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Shibawanko posted:

ScummVM style point & click adventure game, main character was a nerdy high school or college kid, you dealt with bullies and stuff and i think there was an alien invasion subplot, the title was something like [CHARACTER NAME]: Invasion of [NAME OF ALIEN SPECIES] or whatever, it wasn't Zach McKracken or anything like that, it was obscure and I only had the shareware versio

Igor: Objective Uikokahonia?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

That's the one, thanks!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

westborn posted:

I'm going with Eradicator from 1996 for that one.

Never played it, but that made me think it could be Stonekeep - which appears to also have different armor slots.

Holy poo poo, it definitely is Eradicator, well done!

And I wasn't thinking of Stonekeep, though I definitely played that one-- It was Amulets and Armor, conflated with another game.

I am genuinely impressed that these games I've been wondering about for years got identified here in less than 24 hours.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I guess Igor isn't about aliens at all, I must've misremembered because I assumed Uikokahonia was the name of an alien planet or something as a kid

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

MegaZeroX posted:

I'm looking for a game I played as a kid in the early to mid 2000s. It was a platformer where you controlled someone using a jetpack (or rocket, I don't remember), and was on PC. It was probably a flash game, but I'm not sure. I remember finding it hard, but that may be because I was a kid. IIRC you could only use the jetpack/rocket to move, and couldn't walk, but that may be wrong.

Can you remember any visual details, sound effects, what the menu looked like, anything like that?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Can you remember any visual details, sound effects, what the menu looked like, anything like that?

I think I remember it being very colorful, and vaguely that the art style was close to a kid's cartoon.

Not visual related, but I definitely remember playing it in middle school, so it must have come out before 2010. I'm pretty sure it was out earlier on though, like before 2008.

The game had multiple levels, though I don't know how many since I never beat it. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it had a password system. I think if you ran out of jetpack/rocket juice by the end of the level you were forced to walk off a platform and die.

OH, I THINK I REMEMBERED SOMETHING! I'm not 100% sure, but I think the game was set in a classroom, and the platforms were shelves.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

MegaZeroX posted:

The timing is off, but this kinda sounds like Jetpack.

http://www.adeptsoftware.com/jetpack/

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Gynovore posted:

The timing is off, but this kinda sounds like Jetpack.

http://www.adeptsoftware.com/jetpack/

Unfortunately, that's not correct. The reason I thought back on the game I did was a friend of mine mentioned this game, and I thought briefly it could have been the game I played as a kid. But it wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

MegaZeroX posted:

I think I remember it being very colorful, and vaguely that the art style was close to a kid's cartoon.

Not visual related, but I definitely remember playing it in middle school, so it must have come out before 2010. I'm pretty sure it was out earlier on though, like before 2008.

The game had multiple levels, though I don't know how many since I never beat it. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it had a password system. I think if you ran out of jetpack/rocket juice by the end of the level you were forced to walk off a platform and die.

OH, I THINK I REMEMBERED SOMETHING! I'm not 100% sure, but I think the game was set in a classroom, and the platforms were shelves.

This one?

https://www.mobygames.com/game/jetmizzy