Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The only casket match I know of that hasn't involved the Undertaker was Fenix/Mil Muertes from Lucha Underground.
...Holy poo poo Darby Allin could become the new casket match guy. He's already up to body bags.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Dec 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genericide
Jan 20, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah I dug the Scramble Match too, but they completely hosed up trying to explain it (not helped by making poor Mike Adamle call it) since you weren't champion unless you ENDED the match with the last pinfall/submission, but they expressed it so it seemed like you were getting like 4 or 5 different champions through the course of a single match.

Scrambles sound like a delightful, nonsensical mess. This blog post makes fun of them and I liked it even though I've never seen a Scramble. click here

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I'm always going to be a sucker for any match type where the victory conditions don't involve the standard pinfall / submission stop, because it means that competitors get a chance to find more interesting things to do.

To this end I'm going to say "feast or fired" as my favourite currently unused gimmick format. The matches rarely turned out great, but there was so much room for shenannigans

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I haven't seen an ambulance match in a few years.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TriffTshngo posted:

ok, wrestling question: what's your favorite gimmick match nobody else likes or no major company does anymore

Properly built up, Wargames is the best gimmick match of all time

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

When was the last exploding ring death match we got?

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
don't tell anybody i liked the idea of kennel from hell, just without the doggies doing a dookie

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Defiance Industries posted:

honestly the Roman/Braun one at WWE EAT BALLS was pretty good fun with a goofy ending

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Dell_Zincht posted:

I'm partial to a casket match, AFAIK there aren't many major companies doing them and WWE only does them when Undertaker is involved.

It's such a silly concept but I love it.

The only one I can think of that has done one even remotely recently was Lucha Underground. And that was cool because it was a GRAVE CONSEQUENCES MATCH.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Genericide posted:

Scrambles sound like a delightful, nonsensical mess. This blog post makes fun of them and I liked it even though I've never seen a Scramble. click here

The WWF/WWE Hardcore title scramble match where the belt could change hands multiple times was fun, they should do it again with the 24/7 title.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TriffTshngo posted:

"let people like things" is such a lame response to criticism.

edit: gently caress i sat on the post for too long

ok, wrestling question: what's your favorite gimmick match nobody else likes or no major company does anymore

mine's probably that ridiculous scramble match they made mike adamle announce in 2008 which resulted in Brian Kendrick being WWE champion for like 2 minutes and had chris jericho win the big gold belt after getting the poo poo kicked out of him by HBK earlier

King of the Mountain. I love the goofy penalty box thing, and the rest is just combining a Texas deathmatch with a ladder match which are both rad.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Defiance Industries posted:

Lucha Underground did a loving GREAT one.

https://youtu.be/allMq8QRaTo

Oh my God that was filmed three years ago, I'm dying

Deathlove fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 9, 2019

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

TelevisedInsanity posted:

don't tell anybody i liked the idea of kennel from hell, just without the doggies doing a dookie

The precursor to the PUNJABI PRISON match

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

The only one I can think of that has done one even remotely recently was Lucha Underground. And that was cool because it was a GRAVE CONSEQUENCES MATCH.

fwiw I think they did at least three of them (mil/fenix, mil/puma, mil/matanza (Jeff cobb)) and they were all at least pretty good.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

ChrisBTY posted:

The only casket match I know of that hasn't involved the Undertaker was Fenix/Mil Muertes from Lucha Underground.
...Holy poo poo Darby Allin could become the new casket match guy. He's already up to body bags.

Here ya go. First one I ever saw. Dusty Rhodes vs Ivan Koloff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zw71NDBt1Q

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

ChrisBTY posted:

Matsunaga-Pogo had a coffin match in the 90s. It suck-diddily-ucks though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prr7ICC7Xgs

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I love a good I Quit match

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

There was a lucha match in southern California in the early 90s that no one taped because everyone who usually taped those things thought someone else would do it. It was a cage match but the cage was a six sided star and every review of the match was that it was bonkers amazing.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

My favorite gimmick match is the dog collar match. It's such a gruesome concept and done so rarely on large stages these days.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ganso Bomb posted:

My favorite gimmick match is the dog collar match. It's such a gruesome concept and done so rarely on large stages these days.

Trips/Orton at WM25 should have been a dog collar match, with a double turn involving Legacy somehow

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

TTBF posted:

There was a lucha match in southern California in the early 90s that no one taped because everyone who usually taped those things thought someone else would do it. It was a cage match but the cage was a six sided star and every review of the match was that it was bonkers amazing.

oh man did that tickle my DVDVR brain

http://www.deathvalleydriver.com/dvdvr/dvdvr100.html

quote:

PSICOSIS/ HALLOWEEN vs. LEON NEGRO/ULTRAMAN 2000- AAA- 12/25/95: (SCHNEIDER)-This match was the highpoint of Extreme Tijuana (there is a star of death match that is rumored to rule even more but no one has a tape). This match was in a barbed wire cage and all four of these nuts weren'r afraid to go face first into the barbed wire multiple times. The meat of the match was good with plenty of guys being strung up in the barbed wire, but the real fun is post match. Haloween lights a barbed wire baseball bat on fire an starts hitting Ultraman with it (Ultraman is Damien 666 ), he pops him pretty good a couple of times, and the Psicosis just whallops him with it, breaking it into pieces of flaming material off the bat. Psicosis then decides to leap off the top of the cage and leg drops Leon Negro through a table on the
floor. Then everyone from the locker room comes out, and Rey Mysterio Jr. does a bunch of highspots, they crucify Leon Negro, there is a valet catfight and a bunch of guys yell on the mike and it is wild. Try to get the version with the post match showing of scars, including the charred back of Damien. Not a technical masterpiece but quite clusterfucking goodness.

which is this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66p8VQAWUrw

I never noticed the entire "crucifixion on Christmas" part of it all. That's great. Wrestling is art.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Deathlove posted:

Matsunaga-Pogo had a coffin match in the 90s. It suck-diddily-ucks though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prr7ICC7Xgs

Oh man I have this one on tape and yeah it is capital-B Bad. Matsunaga stunk and Pogo was really lazy.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

TriffTshngo posted:

No major company can match the sheer insanity of the Dead of Alive Cage matches Dragon Gate put on.

Here's my question: Was Orange Cassidy ever confirmed to be Fire Ant in Chikara? I read it on I think GameFaqs around 2012 and remember it every so often , but never get an actual source past r/SC or twitter

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Getting back to the video packages, basically every 2002 CZW video package was incredible except for the ones that used Creed.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Getting back to the video packages, basically every 2002 CZW video package was incredible except for the ones that used Creed.

Scott Stapp's life trajectory has very closely followed that of a professional wrestlers, though, so maybe those have aged best of all

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth
I'd like to see another coal miners glove match

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Deathlove posted:

Lucha Underground did a loving GREAT one.

https://youtu.be/allMq8QRaTo

Oh my God that was filmed three years ago, I'm dying

Killshot/Dante Fox in a Hell of War match for those looking for it elsewhere, and it was loving amazing. I need to go watch it again.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

harperdc posted:

Killshot/Dante Fox in a Hell of War match for those looking for it elsewhere, and it was loving amazing. I need to go watch it again.

It was a fantastic match ruined by Matt Striker's constant war references.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Was said war the Infinity War? If it was actual war, that's a step up.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Was said war the Infinity War? If it was actual war, that's a step up.

Less a specific war but referring to moves and the action in the ring with war-like comments.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I can't see very good which is part of why pro wrestling has never lost its magi to me. Everything looks like it hurts as much as it appears to hurt, I don't see the trick behind a lot of the moves.

But what I'm curious about is, with all the re-evaluation of chairshots to the head that has happened since the Attitude Era, is Edge and Christian's con-chair-to as bad as it looks?
;

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I always assumed they were able to work that one by just clanging the chairs together at such an angle where head contact was minimal

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
I figured they aimed for the shoulders

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

NikkolasKing posted:

So I can't see very good which is part of why pro wrestling has never lost its magi to me. Everything looks like it hurts as much as it appears to hurt, I don't see the trick behind a lot of the moves.

But what I'm curious about is, with all the re-evaluation of chairshots to the head that has happened since the Attitude Era, is Edge and Christian's con-chair-to as bad as it looks?
;

FWIW Bruce Prichard on his podcast says the conchairto was really safe but then again I think Christian hurt edge doing a one man version

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

jesus WEP posted:

I always assumed they were able to work that one by just clanging the chairs together at such an angle where head contact was minimal

Yeah, it's this. The guy getting it also lowers their head a bit just before.

Like this:

https://youtu.be/oq6lSM4PwCY

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Am I dreaming or did Triple H have a t-shirt design between 2005-2009 which was based around the hemorrhoid cream preparation h? Like a "apply some of this before you get your rear end kicked" vibe.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Dell_Zincht posted:

I'm partial to a casket match, AFAIK there aren't many major companies doing them and WWE only does them when Undertaker is involved.

It's such a silly concept but I love it.
Yeah I always hated the unwritten rule that a casket match HAS to involve Taker and/or Kane. I wanna be able to see like two high fliers doing sick spots with the casket involved.

On a similar note, there could be some spectacular imagery in a Kane-less inferno match. Although it would still suck for the wrestlers involved, and probably still wouldn't amount to an actual good match. The whole "setting your opponent on fire" win condition kind of limits what you can do as well, so they might has well open that up.

btw that got me thinking about Bray's debut in an inferno match, which I remembered ending in a pinfall, but now that I look it up it was apparently a "Ring of Fire" match? Huh, okay.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Am I dreaming or did Triple H have a t-shirt design between 2005-2009 which was based around the hemorrhoid cream preparation h? Like a "apply some of this before you get your rear end kicked" vibe.

Some people call me "The rear end-itcher."

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Shine posted:

Some people call me but I don’t answer especially when it’s Luke Harper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

A few years ago there was a show, PPV I think, where Vince McMahon does a backstage segment. After the segment he's left alone in the room and turns around and has a vision of himself from the 80s (blue jacket and all) and looks startled, then moves on. I can't remember if it was a cardboard cutout of himself or if it was an Ultimate Warrior style mirror hallucination, and to the best of my knowledge NOTHING ever came of it. I think it might have been meant to be the start of some kind of angle where Vince realizes what a monstrous caricature of himself he has become, but if so it got abandoned almost before it began. Does anybody remember the particular show or have a screenshot/gif/clip?