Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Shooting Blanks posted:

I was talking about you. I'm sorry that has to be pointed out.

Well when I have to deal with accusations like the "joke" below you'll have to forgive me if I sometimes return the same kind of lovely posts to you and yours.

please knock Mom! posted:

I don’t think beating your wife counts as a job dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Chichevache posted:

Well when I have to deal with accusations like the "joke" below you'll have to forgive me if I sometimes return the same kind of lovely posts to you and yours.

And here comes the otherization. Way to go reinforcing that divide between civilians with badges and civilians without badges.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Shooting Blanks posted:

And here comes the otherization. Way to go reinforcing that divide between civilians with badges and civilians without badges.

but you're ok with the joke? Otherizing cops is ok?

if you don't like a cop / not cop divide maybe don't contribute to it

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Smiling Jack posted:

I think we are dealing with a disingenuous poster, sarge.

Shooting Blanks posted:

"You and yours" refers to the people who come into this thread to accuse me and the other goon cops of domestic violence and racism and then tell us to kill ourselves because some redneck in Florida murdered a black kid. I'm a civilian just like some of you. There is no otherization on my part.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

"I don't like militarization of the cops but I also don't like it when cops don't learn infantry tactics also I don't want cops to get more training" is a weird argument

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Chichevache posted:

I think we are dealing with a disingenuous poster, sarge.

address me by my proper rank patrol scum

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
When cops separate themselves, it's more than fine to otherize them. Which side of the thin blue line you're on matters to them.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Smiling Jack posted:

address me by my proper rank patrol scum

Is your proper rank Patrol scum or am I patrol scum?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

A Bad Poster posted:

When cops separate themselves, it's more than fine to otherize them. Which side of the thin blue line you're on matters to them.

Who here is separating themselves? Smiling Jack and I come in here to try and provide context when asked, only to get harangued for existing most of the time.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

furthermore the idea that police should only be armed with water pistols or napalm is logically incoherent, in this series of posts I will discuss why a hellfire strike is the only correct option in a postindustrial society and furthermore I

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

A Bad Poster posted:

lmao

"I believe you engage in this behavior with no evidence therefore my lovely behavior is acceptable" said every good faith person ever

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Smiling Jack posted:

"I don't like militarization of the cops but I also don't like it when cops don't learn infantry tactics also I don't want cops to get more training" is a weird argument

colachute posted:

I don’t think any of this is the job of the police other than specialized units (SWAT, HRT). Cops don’t need to meet military standards.

Right but changing the story and putting words in other peoples’ mouths to make yourself correct and/or the victim is pretty on brand for police.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I dunno, first response plainclothes officers not looking like a well oiled kill squad is not the worst thing in the world. We don't know what exactly their understanding of the situation they were in was this photograph was taken. We also don't really know how long they were bunched up, what other priorities may have been playing into what they are doing, or really loving anything. Fighting about whether they look right seems like an odd red herring given the fact that they were responding to a loving mass shooting event, but those have become so common place in our society that I guess this is where we are.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Yall stretching this poo poo wider than goatse lol

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

colachute posted:

Right but changing the story and putting words in other peoples’ mouths to make yourself correct and/or the victim is pretty on brand for police.

Okay, so you want the cops to stay home because there were too many of them?

Legit trying to understand your argument here

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I dunno, first response plainclothes officers not looking like a well oiled kill squad is not the worst thing in the world. We don't know what exactly their understanding of the situation they were in when this photograph was taken. We also don't really know how long they were bunched up, what other priorities may have been playing into what they are doing, or really loving anything. Fighting about whether they look right seems like an odd red herring given the fact that they were responding to a loving mass shooting event, but those have become so common place in our society that I guess this is where we are.

there's no place here for logic and reason

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Smiling Jack posted:

If they can’t do their job right they shouldn’t be doing it. That’s incredibly simple. And for some reason controversial (but only to the cops in the thread... interesting)

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

America has decided to worship at the altar of the mass shooter and people get upset when cops have to deal with it

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

colachute posted:

If they can’t do their job right they shouldn’t be doing it. That’s incredibly simple. And for some reason controversial.

Right, taking cover is now a fireable offense got it

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Smiling Jack posted:

Now you're crying like a bitch because we made fun of cops in a picture.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Sorry Billy, there were more than four of you on that corner violating some army fm manual or whatever gonna have to let you go

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Smiling Jack posted:

Right, taking cover is now a fireable offense got it

They were looking and aiming across the street (don’t aim at something you’re not willing to shoot at right?) and you wanna say they were taking cover? Lmfaooooooo

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Viva Miriya posted:

I only cry a few hours after I deal with dead children it's one of the few times I do

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

colachute posted:

They were looking and aiming across the street (don’t aim at something you’re not willing to shoot at right?) and you wanna say they were taking cover? Lmfaooooooo

ironically probably the ex mil guys

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Smiling Jack posted:

if you don't like a cop / not cop divide maybe don't contribute to it

To be fair I didn't see the joke - I was responding to Chichevache specifically doing something he's already been called out for.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Viva Miriya posted:

it's ok to cry my friend let it out

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

colachute posted:

If they can’t do their job right they shouldn’t be doing it. That’s incredibly simple. And for some reason controversial.

I mean if the policy was just to wait for swat, wouldn't that be equally as contemptible? An officer died responding to the scene ASAP and when you don't know exactly who you are supposed to be shooting at (except maybe a person with a gun) it seems that it would follow that you are likely headed into a clusterfuck.

All and all from what I've seen I think these officers were doing their job as well as could be expected or demanded.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

cops do nothing wrong

"there must be something!" Internet posters 2019

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Smiling Jack posted:

it's ok to cry my friend let it out

double quoting I see

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Smiling Jack posted:

cops do nothing wrong

"there must be something!" Internet posters 2019

*internet poster says something out of concern for the officers safety*

“WHAT THE gently caress??????” -you, 2019

Goddamn even when people are looking out for you it’s a problem. No wonder no one likes cops.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

colachute posted:

If they can’t do their job right they shouldn’t be doing it. That’s incredibly simple. And for some reason controversial (but only to the cops in the thread... interesting)

What part of their job did they do wrong?

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Chichevache posted:

What part of their job did they do wrong?

Holy gently caress read the thread.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

I mean, the cops killed the suspects, that's something wrong.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

colachute posted:

Holy gently caress read the thread.

Yeah, you bitched that they didnt dress appropriately and they didnt use military tactics. Then smiling jack and I both asked you why you simultaneously supported and decried the militarization of police, which you ignored.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

colachute posted:

*internet poster says something out of concern for the officers safety*

“WHAT THE gently caress??????” -you, 2019

Goddamn even when people are looking out for you it’s a problem. No wonder no one likes cops.

Is it less than ideal to have every officer lined up on one wall? Sure. But there is no defined hierarchy for someone to give orders, there isn't any information indicating other shooters - and this is a crime scene, not a war zone, chances are there won't be additional shooters. Look, ultimately the problem with your premise is that interagency training will never be a thing, primarily for logistical reasons. Policing in America is done at a local level, and it's unreasonable to expect that 4 agencies will have not only trained together enough to coordinate their actions in a meaningful way, but also to establish who has jurisdiction/control/whatever over a given scene to be able to give orders. It's a chaotic, dynamic situation and you do the best you can. Hell, given the lack of uniforms (which, as has been pointed out, is a function of the emergency) splitting up could prove to be more dangerous if one cop sees someone they don't know with a firearm.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

gently caress you guys suck compared to CotB posters step up your game scrubs

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Chichevache posted:

Yeah, you bitched that they didnt dress appropriately and they didnt use military tactics. Then smiling jack and I both asked you why you simultaneously supported and decried the militarization of police, which you ignored.

I didn’t say anything about how they were dressed so you’re not arguing in good faith, and I also never said they should use military tactics (and instead leave that up to special units like swat), so you’re just lashing out.

I said if they can’t do it right they shouldn’t do it.

You then asked why I didn’t want them to respond.

So you tell me what they did wrong, since “if they can’t do it right they shouldn’t respond” means “they shouldn’t respond” to you.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

The only argument I saw boiled down to "they shouldn't be so ready to go tactical at all times" and "they shouldn't be morons". Both of which are true, but they're problems with the way society works now.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

hm maybe judging a multi-agency hours long incident based on one picture isnt reasonable

no, it's the other posters who are wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

all the poo poo wrong with policing in America today and you guys want to slapfight over infantry tactics which should not be police tactics

peace out guys