Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Mary Byker was just a fantastic fill-in for Clint Mansell in PWEI. I'll be pleased to see Leslie Rankine too ... I keep having to miss Ruby when they play in Toronto. I originally knew her from Therapy? actually...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8b3MOtw-4E

I love how loving 90s that video is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

teethgrinder posted:

Mary Byker was just a fantastic fill-in for Clint Mansell in PWEI. I'll be pleased to see Leslie Rankine too ... I keep having to miss Ruby when they play in Toronto. I originally knew her from Therapy? actually...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8b3MOtw-4E

I love how loving 90s that video is.

I had no idea she collaborated with them. Troublegum stayed in my car stereo from 94-98 I reckon, and I never realized that was her on "Lunacy Booth."

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Spark! are announced as playing Resistanz 2020. If you've slept on them due to the goofy clown schtick, they're actually legit awesome EBM.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Spark! are announced as playing Resistanz 2020. If you've slept on them due to the goofy clown schtick, they're actually legit awesome EBM.

gently caress yes

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Prop Wash posted:

gently caress yes

I am absolutely going to avoid mentioning the clown thing to friends who are unfamiliar, but just say they're bangin' EBM, just to see the WTF on their faces as Spark! take the stage

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/nickmullen/status/1195490712562937857?s=21

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Um. Don't loving miss Pigface.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

teethgrinder posted:

Um. Don't loving miss Pigface.

good set list?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Shamelessly ripped from https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pigface/2019/lees-palace-toronto-on-canada-39af507.html

Insemination
Asphole
Murder Inc. (Murder Inc. cover)
Divebomber
Think
War Ich Nicht Immer Ein Guter Junge? War Ich Nicht Immer Schoen Und Nett? Ich Zerpfluckte Neimals Eine Spinne- War Niemals Frech Und Stahl
Tapeworm
(Unknown)
Chikasaw
Weightless
Pigface in Your Area
Alles Ist Mine
Seven Words
Hips, Tits, Lips, Power!
Auto Hag

Encore:
Suck (Double Dipped and Plastered Mix)
Ten Ground and Down
gently caress It Up
Godlike (KMFDM cover)
Suck

Both versions of Suck were spectacular ... the first was a sitar duet with Leslie singing sweetly. For the finale they brought everyone on stage to scream Suck. I noticed they brought up Jimi from Malhavoc too, and there were some other faces I didn't recognise.

It was one of the best shows I've ever seen. Every band should have three drummers and two bassists! It was just a spectacle with the ensemble.

Mary Byker was an awesome frontman for it... can't believe he flew back to England mid-Pigface tour to get a PWEI gig in.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

This is really stretching the definition of "electro-industrial", but the latest Daughters music video is :stare:

Noise fans rejoice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSXw6Ok47dQ

Also Street Sects put out a basic video for their latest in the Gentrification project:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ4owWa6-t0

It's not the main stream of the thread, but I hope some will enjoy.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Speaking of, I just saw Street Sects last night and that’s one of the best sets I’ve ever seen. loving fantastic.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
I wanna go ahead and share this incredible Prince cover by Funker Vogt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fPn9RXxtr4

Oh ALSO two of my friends down here in Tampa do are DJs that put out really good electro-industrial/EBM/dark electro shows on Mixcloud. I highly recommend checking them out

https://www.mixcloud.com/DJIVNX/

https://www.mixcloud.com/dj-veine/

CherryCola fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 6, 2019

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Not quite us, but from a related planet:

https://twitter.com/industrial_book/status/1201900978422857728

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I've been listening to 3TEETH for the first time today, and I can't tell if they are cryptofash or leftists please help

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i dont think theyre very political. they opened for rammstein who are left tho

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kvlt! posted:

i dont think theyre very political. they opened for rammstein who are left tho

1) Cool

2) ??? You make your choice today
It's exit, voice or loyalty ???

3) hi kvlt

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i could be totally wrong btw i havent really ever paid attention to their lyrics and I am too dumb to understand that link

hey pomp love you <3

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

3TEETH seem to be very left, from when I've really paid attention to their lyrics/irony.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Pomp posted:

I've been listening to 3TEETH for the first time today, and I can't tell if they are cryptofash or leftists please help

They are left. Lots of their songs have an anti-police/anti-authority thing going on and this is even more explicit in their music videos. They seem to be trying to combine cyberpunk and black block / antifa aesthetics.
They've also done a number of collabs with hip-hop/hardcore group Ho99o9, who are very left.

edit: I mean, this seems pretty straight forward:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0DDdcp5yFY&t=162s

thotsky fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 11, 2019

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Yeah ... I didn't really get their Pumped Up Kicks cover at first, but the music video is transcendent and makes it clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYIsZr9L_rM

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Also fwiw, my all-time favourite concert shot:

"The industrial Freddie Mercury" as a friend put it.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
^^^
I've always thought of it as "the industrial barista" look

The coming year looks to be pretty loving great for concerts where I'm at. I've got tickets to Nitzer Ebb, Front 242, 3Teeth and Pharmakon.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
3TEETH are also definitely if not into chaos magic at the very least conversant in some of the nerdier end of it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

yeah the name 3teeth comes from some occult thing iirc

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The occult stuff+anti-neolib themes was the red flag lol. Contemporary leftist themes and "modern degeneracy" sound similar when abstracted through music.

teethgrinder posted:

Also fwiw, my all-time favourite concert shot:

"The industrial Freddie Mercury" as a friend put it.

This guy FUCKS

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
He also spanks.

They opened for Ministry on their Europe tour this summer, I don't think you need to worry about their politics.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Scene tolerance for Fash has plummeted in recent years. Kind of troubling there was so much tolerance for it in the first place, but sometimes it's hard to tell who is into Fash symbolism for the fetish angle versus the actual ideology. Also, new generations, and all that. OG industrialists grew up when Siouxie Sioux and the Sex Pistols and others wore swastikas to shock and offend their WW2 parents and grandparents, so probably had a blindspot to some of it. And honestly, ten years ago, the idea of full-on Nazi/Fascism becoming so prominent seemed laughable.

But yeah, what few millennials and younger are attracted to industrial, there's no patience for that poo poo, especially now.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

thotsky posted:

^^^
I've always thought of it as "the industrial barista" look

The coming year looks to be pretty loving great for concerts where I'm at. I've got tickets to Nitzer Ebb, Front 242, 3Teeth and Pharmakon.

it pisses me off that people like pharmakon(who is good) but then don't get into any other power electronics artists at all

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

LabyaMynora posted:

Scene tolerance for Fash has plummeted in recent years. Kind of troubling there was so much tolerance for it in the first place, but sometimes it's hard to tell who is into Fash symbolism for the fetish angle versus the actual ideology. Also, new generations, and all that. OG industrialists grew up when Siouxie Sioux and the Sex Pistols and others wore swastikas to shock and offend their WW2 parents and grandparents, so probably had a blindspot to some of it. And honestly, ten years ago, the idea of full-on Nazi/Fascism becoming so prominent seemed laughable.

But yeah, what few millennials and younger are attracted to industrial, there's no patience for that poo poo, especially now.
For context, I'm 37.

It's SO loving CRINGEY to have seen Siouxie do it. I get it may have been a shock thing at the time, but it feels to me it was terrible at that time too and really regrettable, and I hope she apologised for it.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

teethgrinder posted:

For context, I'm 37.

It's SO loving CRINGEY to have seen Siouxie do it. I get it may have been a shock thing at the time, but it feels to me it was terrible at that time too and really regrettable, and I hope she apologised for it.

I'm 38. In 2007 I saw VNV Nation and And One on tour in Milwaukee. Some dude in the front row kept shouting "Heil Hitler" at Steve Nagavi. Of course, his parents immigrated to Germany from Iran, so... yeah, cringe. No one did anything about it. Steve acknowledged him in a sarcastic, "what's this guy's deal?" kind of way.

A few years later, I was at a goth club on Halloween. Some dude's costume was Hitler, complete with haircut, and he shaved his mustache into a Hitler mustache. Everyone in my group of friends and acquaintances thought it sucked and was a lovely thing to do, but once again, no one did anything. Years later, when "alt-right" became a thing, I thought of that dude and wondered if he's out there hanging with Richard Spencer and Milo and the like.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

A human heart posted:

it pisses me off that people like pharmakon(who is good) but then don't get into any other power electronics artists at all

Maybe try to think about Pharmakon as genre-straddling or something? I am more into her for the angry-sad-lady-art-music angle than the noise angle, and seeing the success of artists like Lingua Ignota (who is also good) I don't think I am alone there. There's a little less cringe, a little less fash, and a lot more novelty there.

I like the noise as catharsis aspect that these ladies seem to be exploring. Dudes who do live noise music seem to be going all in on diy instruments to set themselves apart these days, and I might catch a show of that for the nerdery of it, but I won't go out of my way for it :shrug:

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

thotsky posted:

Maybe try to think about Pharmakon as genre-straddling or something? I am more into her for the angry-sad-lady-art-music angle than the noise angle, and seeing the success of artists like Lingua Ignota (who is also good) I don't think I am alone there. There's a little less cringe, a little less fash, and a lot more novelty there.

I like the noise as catharsis aspect that these ladies seem to be exploring. Dudes who do live noise music seem to be going all in on diy instruments to set themselves apart these days, and I might catch a show of that for the nerdery of it, but I won't go out of my way for it :shrug:

I don't think there's a great deal of novelty in her sound, it's all territory that other people within PE have covered or are covering, she's just good at it. Like a lot of the synth work and metal junk usage on Contact were obviously heavily influenced by a lot of European PE groups for example. There are plenty of contemporary PE projects doing nonstereotypical takes on the style if that's what you want from it, and some of them are by women, so I don't think that alone sets her apart. Noise as catharsis is something that is going to come up to some degree in a lot of this kind of music, because it's mostly about people yelling over a bunch of noises. It's just quite frustrating that an artist who is simply doing good work in their genre of choice is set up as some of genre crossover when many other artists doing more or less similar things are not. But that is sort of to be expected when something from a niche music scene gets pitchfork reviews I suppose.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Pitchfork helps, but so does being on a label like Dais or Sacred Bones instead of having like 600 listens on Bandcamp or whatever. Not a lot of these artists get much play, I don't see the point in being pissed at people who get into the ones who do.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

LabyaMynora posted:

I'm 38. In 2007 I saw VNV Nation and And One on tour in Milwaukee. Some dude in the front row kept shouting "Heil Hitler" at Steve Nagavi...
Around 2006 I saw Covenant in Montreal. There were three guys in Nazi uniforms pogoing and sig-heiling along in sync. What the loving christ.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
On the second to last Laibach concert I went to there was a middle aged dude in a dirty wifebeater out in front just constantly sieg heiling Milan Fras and trying to get his attention. He was not happy about it.

He seemed pretty out of it to be honest and most people gave him a wide berth, but some guys eventually spoke to him and he hosed off.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I would like to note that My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult's hit single with the lyrics "How much cash can you make with that rear end?" made my Spotify top 100 songs of 2019.

E: Also HEALTH's Vol. 4 dominated the top of my list.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 13, 2019

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Laibach dominated mine, especially the Sound of Music album, but TR/ST, HEALTH and even 3Teeth did make it on there.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

thotsky posted:

Pitchfork helps, but so does being on a label like Dais or Sacred Bones instead of having like 600 listens on Bandcamp or whatever. Not a lot of these artists get much play, I don't see the point in being pissed at people who get into the ones who do.

I mean Linekraft, to give an example of a currently active artist doing great stuff, has in the last year released lps on hospital productions and tesco organisation, so I'm not talking about tiny diy labels. I'm not angry at anyone but it would be nice if people who like Pharmakon would explore a tiny bit more of the musical world that she is coming from, because a lot of it is very good.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Drab Majesty and Laibach here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Drab Majesty and Laibach here

If you have not already check out Drab Majesty's label mates Body of Light; they opened for Drab Majesty when they played here and I much preferred them. Don't Pretend is killer.