Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Gonna laugh if half the guys in the room pull off their wigs. And they were very bad, unconvincing wigs we didn't notice because the concept of fake hair is totally alien to our culture.

What I'm saying is we should rip off the high priests wig with all our strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

John_A_Tallon posted:

This is going to end in tears. We have no backup here. It's us: Enkidel and Uriah and that's it. We don't have sanction from the priesthood. It's throwing around accusations with very little proof. Whatever's happening in the back room is in direct response to us and can be nothing good for us. If we have to fight a bunch of good human beings who are following a bad King, Uriah will be pissed forever.

Since we are already past the point of not getting involved, and since we have no easy path out, we should take the harder path theglavwen proposes.

I think we come at this from different perspectives. We don't *need* sanction from the priesthood to do what we're doing. Nothing we've said is something the priesthood needs to be included on or requires their authority to do, and we've done everything in a culturally acceptable way. We also don't really need backup? What would we need it for in this city?

What's happening in the back room is probably because of us, but that's good. If we can find it in time to save the poor soul fueling the magic great, but if we can't (which I view as the most likely 'negative' outcome at this point, I think getting jumped by mighty men or this king is unlikely, like being afraid Esau is going to pop out of the ceiling and hit us because we shot his arrow) we still prevent this Anaki from doing it again by introducing him to our friend high-velocity-brick.

Pinging our presence sense is *exactly* what we needed. We would be in rougher shape if the Anaki DIDN'T ping it, because then we would have to say 'let us look around please, we don't have a reason yet but we'll find one'. As it is, we can say "I can show you cultist infiltrators right now, come with me. That's my proof they exist." and have about 95% certainty that we're going to find something of interest. Remember that El-Altars don't usually vary in strength. The times we've felt pulses are when we have detected magic in progress. All this cultist had to do was hold it in for a little bit until we wrote a check with our mouth that we couldn't cash and he pissed his pants like it's everyone's worst middle-school nightmare.

Also, if we end up fighting mighty men here Uriah won't be pissed forever, just pissed at us for walking him into a lions den. Assuming we get out without him being maimed, he might even just mock us a little for it, we escaped the clutches of demons what else is he gonna do? What would have ruined our relationship with Uriah last city was that we broke into a palace and the Mighty Men would be completely justified in attacking and killing us, so we'd be fighting them because of our own poor choices, no demonic influence needed. Fighting mighty men here in Larsa, after we have done everything 'right' means if they attack us they are supporting demons. He might not be happy with killing men, but he can't carry nearly the same kind of grudge as if we had gone on a rampage in the palace last city.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
+1 plan theglavwen -1 strike down part

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

BoyG posted:

I smell demons! Follow me!

Lol drat it no we can literally just walk across the balcony and probably figure out the exact location hopefully

also, lmao

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

lenoon posted:

Thanks mate I was super worried that it would come off as a really weird present! The scribbly lines on Uriah and enkidel are supposed to be muscles. Hope that many tales are told!

It is a very weird present, which is a large part of its awesomeness.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Diogines posted:

You tell the man that you are demon hunters on a long journey and planned to visit Karnak on your way home for its fame is known even among your distant people. Yet on your way you heard rumors most foul concerning High King Kenaz and were loathe to not look into them. You explain to the silent Jeter that you found this woman, Hoshana, being used in a sacrifice by demon cultists you had encountered before, she was bleeding to death before you rescued her. This demon, which you dare not yet name is clever and cunning and uses subterfuge and human cultists to infiltrate cities to gain gold, precious things and blood.

You pause for a moment, you, a giant in an armor like something out of an ancient myth, and slowly make direct eye contact with each person sitting beside Jeter and the King himself then close your eyes for a long moment and take a long, deep dramatic breath looking far more like some kind of man of greatly Blooded man eyeing them up than a man gathering his thoughts or zoning out.

You use these seconds to use your Presence Sense(s?).

Every hair on your arms and the back of your neck stands up. There is a Presence nearby which is growing rapidly. It is not in this room but you are pretty sure it is relatively close to where you are now, either that or it is distant and much stronger than you are sensing at this moment. There is too much stone between you and it to narrow it down more than the fact it is probably close, but not in this room. If you were outside or near a window you could probably nail down its relative distance from you with much more accuracy or possibly know right where it is, however the only window in this room is the large balcony behind Jeter's throne. Walking through the halls of the Palace would also probably help, the change in the arrangement of walls between you and the Presence would help hint where it is.

You open your eyes and go on to explain to Jeter that chief among this demon's servants are cultists called Anakim, who have no hair anywhere on their bodies and lead men astray. You fear that Kenaz has thrown in his lot with this demon and his cultists. Jeter's expression is hidden as you explain all of this and remains hidden as you explain that you have heard Jeter is a good, wise and strong king and so you bring this matter to him. But that matters must be handled swiftly, for it is likely that the servants of the demon are fleeing even now, as they have done in the past when they knew you were coming for them.

Jeter considers this for only a moment and from his elevated throne looks down upon you and says "Strangers, I cannot deny that your height is considerable and your gleaming armor is plain for all to see, but other strange things no man has seen before has trouble our people and some of them were odd to look upon as well. Your words claiming the High King has betrayed our people are only that, words. What proof do you have to support them and if you speak true, why are you here in Larsa instead of Karnak, to slay these cultists you claim are there?"

1. Your reply? What do you want to do? Fill in.

[...]

The Capybaras ask you consider something briefly, regardless of what it is you actually tell Jeter, King of Larsa. You went to one city, got some information, saved a woman and were... detected by the cultists? You do not know how far that information has spread, if Jeter is in on it or who is. Everyone may know and everyone may be in on it, or few may be and few way know, or anywhere in-between.

You are a freaking giant in armor like something out of the Old Tales. When demons appear it is expected, or at least hoped that people like YOU show up to kill them yourself. So it would be helpful for the Capybaras if you at least discuss what it is ultimately hope to achieve here in Larsa. Are you just looking for information? Fair enough, you may well get some as long as you continue to look for more. Are you here to root out the cultists in Larsa and then play it by ear? Are you hoping to recruit Jeter, King of Larsa to raise his soldiers and march to Karnak, or raise a revolt of nearby cities to do the same, or perhaps simply recruit their Blooded elite to that task, a smaller, more mobile and more easily raised forced, albeit a weaker one? Do you plan to go to Karnak and try to slit some throats in secret, openly investigate there, try diplomacy or treachery? Do you leave the region, find a temple and get some guidance from the church? Do you just wash your hands of this and go home? The "information gathering" part of your adventure can continue as long as you want, but at some point you should probably decide on a general plan of action. If you proceed without a clear goal, update to update and play it by ear, you are probably not going to achieve whatever that goal is. We appreciate and understand that asking a group of people to do that is not ideal, which is why we are asking this question and based on the responses, may have a vote for you to decide what your goal is based on what you say, if not in this next update, then relatively soon.

You tell Jeter that the proof is hiding in his very palace and you will bring it bare before your eyes right now! This is met almost in unison with a "What?" from Diamekan, son of Kurakh, Uriah the Hammer, several of the Mighty Men of the Grand City of Larsa and those standing beside King Jeter, though Jeter himself is silent.

You do not wait for permission but instead take several large, confident and very possibly excessively aggressive strides towards a reigning monarch when the usual response to such a thing is immediate and lethal violence and indeed the Mighty Men of Larsa are in an instant on their feet and drawing their weapons to protect their King but Jeter holds up a hand and says "Let us see this proof." The man in the robe beside Jeter says "Your Highness, this is highly irregular!" You confidently stride past the throne and towards the balcony behind it and close your eyes to concentrate.

The Presence has grown tremendously and it is... bubbling... shifting? You do not have the vocabulary to explain to yourself what it is you feel, yet alone to someone else but you have a terrible and sickly feeling in your stomach that if you are not too late you will be very soon, you are not going to make it in time. You know where the Presence is coming from now and it is close! You turn and run not even pausing as you declare that "They move against you this very moment, oh King!" You are in fact bluffing and know no such thing but if you are wrong you are very hosed anyway and if you are not this may help win him over? At this Jeter finally shows a hint of emotion, finally and jumps from his throne as he draws his sword and shouts "Follow him!" Diamekan shouts to one of his Mighty Men to "Seal the gate and let NO ONE in or out!" You race out of the throne room followed by the Mighty Men of Larsa and its king, much to the surprise of the hundreds of soldiers who fill the hallway outside of it. At first they raise their spears as the doors to the throne room fly open in front of them and then rush out of the way as best they can as you and those behind you barrel past!

You race down the halls of the palace until you come to a door guarded by two modestly Blooded soldiers in expensive looking armor bearing a sigil of a tree with one large apple hanging from it on their breastplates and shields who hear and certainly see the tremendously Blooded caravan racing towards them and look rather surprised at this unexpected appearance. One of them says "None may enter on orders of the High King!" Both of the soldiers bar the way despite being ludicrously and obviously outmatched. Jeter, King of Larsa says "I am king here, stand aside or fall where you stand." Larsa looks to you and says "If you are wrong I swear I will have your head delivered to the High King." When the soldiers actually draw their swords two of the Mighty Men of Larsa grab the soldiers and wrestle them to the ground. You try the door, it is barred so you violently kick it off its hinges! The door explodes into the room with you and the others right behind. You are in a richly decorated and fastidiously clean room which seems to be split between a bedroom, storage for shelves of clay tablets and storage for a very large amount of treasure and coins. There is another door at the end of the room, you pull it open.

You see an enclosed courtyard with the other doorways to it and windows overlooking it having been bricked up. In the middle of the courtyard is man in a robe similar, but not identical to the ones you saw the men in the throne room wearing, the robe has a hood and the hood is down, the man is bald. There is a sigil of an apple tree with one large apple on the back of the man's robe.

In his left hand is a golden knife with a ruby on the end of it and in his right is a woman, whose bleeding wrist he is holding over a brazier. A spiraling flame twists within the brazier...

Though one far smaller than the last you saw!

1. You....

A. KILL THE ANAKI!
B. Let THEM kill the Anaki!
C. Try to STOP them from killing the Anaki! You want him alive!
D. Break the brazier!
E. Mystically snuff the fire out!
F. Rush to the woman's side and try to stop her from bleeding to death!
G. Rush to the Anaki's side and push him into the brazier!
H. Do nothing, you are not the king and Jeter probably has his own ideas!
I. Pray to El!
J. Something else! Fill in!

Diogines fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 12, 2019

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yell to take him alive, he might have useful intel, while we personally rush to secure the girl

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008

Crazycryodude posted:

Yell to take him alive, he might have useful intel, while we personally rush to secure the girl

This
Let the King do the heavy lifting in his city.

MetricUnit
Jan 2, 2005
A. KILL THE ANAKI!
Or uhh throw something at him to just knock him out and not kill him. Probably.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
C, incapacitate him but keep him alive

a live Anaki we can put to the question is a priceless resource

also destroy the brazier once he's down

and shout EL HAMMOCK KABLAM*

*- you know what I mean

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 12, 2019

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
D to prevent the foul sorcery and get up in their faces. Yell to take him alive if possible and to save the woman.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

J: Use one of our arrows to shoot the hand holding the dagger so he cannot finish what he has started!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Let everyone witness the scene in front of us, then smash the brazier and capture the Anaki.

There Bias Two fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 12, 2019

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I think we can afford to let the brazier stand for the ten seconds it'll take everyone to pile in and make sure everyone is a witness to the obvious demon sorcery just in case they're still not convinced. If the fire pillar suddenly quadruples in size and/or our presence sense gets all fucky and/or whatever else that might signal some Bad poo poo being channeled through it we can probably have a flash vote to smash it then, for now I'm comfortable letting it stand this specific vote cycle.

Bob Tuskins
Jul 27, 2007

I couldn't imagine life without the beautiful sight of the green horde
D

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

E

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Nonlethally incapacitate the Anaki and deform the rune-encrusted brazier as quickly as possible. Probably by throwing projectiles. A brick at the Anaki's legs should be sufficient to pulp them and interrupt any spellcasting.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

C, have Uriah get the woman while we smash the brazier. Hard.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
J. Shout SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKER (or the Urian equivalent) as loud as we can to *stun* the Anaki, then tag-team interrogate him with Jeter

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 12, 2019

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Ok, now we start composing an essay about how we're going to pass this off as normal mighty man abilities.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

vorebane posted:

Ok, now we start composing an essay about how we're going to pass this off as normal mighty man abilities.

We don't need to normalize it. It can be just a weird thing that we're able to do.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
F. We can hand the woman to Uriah or a local MM and go back up the king if the Fiery Bullshit gets out of control, but until then lets let the king call the shots in his own palace.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

We really need to try and get this motherfucker alive, this is probably about the best place we could ever hope to capture one. Heart of his inner sanctum, completely off guard, back to us and we have the advantage. Going straight to killing him seems like a waste, who knows what useful things Jeter could potentially wrench out of his brainpan with a destructive mindread or something. Hell even a good ol' fashioned "alternate questions and punches until it's clear he's making poo poo up or not gonna cooperate ever" could be very enlightening.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
1A+J. Shout EL HA MELEK KOL HA OLAM.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Diog are there any cages or scorch marks on the floor of the courtyard?

Crazycryodude posted:

We really need to try and get this motherfucker alive, this is probably about the best place we could ever hope to capture one. Heart of his inner sanctum, completely off guard, back to us and we have the advantage. Going straight to killing him seems like a waste, who knows what useful things Jeter could potentially wrench out of his brainpan with a destructive mindread or something. Hell even a good ol' fashioned "alternate questions and punches until it's clear he's making poo poo up or not gonna cooperate ever" could be very enlightening.

There's a body of water nearby...

Dr Cheesequake
Dec 23, 2008

I dream of humans and goblins co-existing peacefully

AJ_Impy posted:

D to prevent the foul sorcery and get up in their faces. Yell to take him alive if possible and to save the woman.

This

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Crazycryodude posted:

This sounds good. Just say something about taking him alive, but let the King make the decisions in his palace. Seems like the local king didn't know what the gently caress was going on, just had to collect taxes and the High King's soldiers were running everything?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

F!!!

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

C but defer to Jeter if he issues orders

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Also, while I'm testing whether the forums can handle cuneiform, here's a brief lesson in Sumerian. :hist101:

Let's talk about 𒂉, transliterated variously as bid, bid3 or bed3, dur, šed, šed6, or še10.

In descriptions of cuneiform, you often see images like the following, showing how a pictogram of a head or an ox got transformed into wedge-shapes:

Well, turn 𒂉 90 degrees clockwise, and you very clearly get a butt. The glyph's meanings can be "butt", "poop" or "fart" (either verb or noun).

There are derivative words, like:

𒂉𒂉, durun, "butt-butt" ("poop-butt"?) meaning "sit",
𒂉𒂉𒊑, DUR.DUR, "poop-poop-that", meaning "bird",
𒂉𒃻, durĝar, "butt-implement", meaning "chair,

I feel like I've also seen 𒍑𒂉 (dick-butt), meaning "young labourer", but I'm struggling to find that now, so don't quote me on it.

There's a dictionary online that can be fun to peruse: http://psd.museum.upenn.edu/

Anyway, please resume your Mesopotamian Muscle-wizard game.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
D. Gotta stop the ritual/sorcery/fire.

Yell to take the High King's agent alive.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
E. + tell Uriah to do F.

God willing we can use our fire control powers to explode another altar, then use our brick-control powers to explode another Anaki. I'd suggest trying to take him alive, but hoooooooo boy, I dont' think that's in the cards. King Jeter is probably about to have just the mother of all angry beatdowns on this guy and his two mighty men bodyguards and I'm not really gonna try to get in his way.

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah, getting him alive would be great, but I don't think we should try giving orders to a king that just got exposed to having been duped by sorcerers.

BoyG
Nov 24, 2004

Have you heard the tale of the Cannibal King of Kavodel?

Crazycryodude posted:

Yup

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

vorebane posted:

we're demon hunters, we can sometimes sense major demon magic, end

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

vorebane posted:

The same kind of setup existed in Zera, though the Anaki escaped while we tended to Hoshana's wounds. We did not wish for the same thing to happen here. Everything explained - we just had a hunch and got lucky.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Just checking. Do we still have the ruby?

If we do, we really, REALLY should get rid of it before it gets us blown up.

Z the IVth posted:

J - Apply high speed brick to hand holding dagger as Uriah goes to grab the girl.

We need to let the king see the demon brazier (even for a moment) before we trash it.

Edit: +1 to take him alive

I vote for this.

RadicalR fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 12, 2019

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Also, while I'm testing whether the forums can handle cuneiform, here's a brief lesson in Sumerian. :hist101:

Let's talk about 𒂉, transliterated variously as bid, bid3 or bed3, dur, šed, šed6, or še10.

In descriptions of cuneiform, you often see images like the following, showing how a pictogram of a head or an ox got transformed into wedge-shapes:

Well, turn 𒂉 90 degrees clockwise, and you very clearly get a butt. The glyph's meanings can be "butt", "poop" or "fart" (either verb or noun).

There are derivative words, like:

𒂉𒂉, durun, "butt-butt" ("poop-butt"?) meaning "sit",
𒂉𒂉𒊑, DUR.DUR, "poop-poop-that", meaning "bird",
𒂉𒃻, durĝar, "butt-implement", meaning "chair,

I feel like I've also seen 𒍑𒂉 (dick-butt), meaning "young labourer", but I'm struggling to find that now, so don't quote me on it.

There's a dictionary online that can be fun to peruse: http://psd.museum.upenn.edu/

Anyway, please resume your Mesopotamian Muscle-wizard game.

lol "bring me my butt-implement!"

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

AJ_Impy posted:

This

Even if we can't get anything out of the priest, hopefully his guards will have some beans to spill.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
J - Apply high speed brick to hand holding dagger as Uriah goes to grab the girl. I'm making a reasonable assumption that being able to dig handholds into stone walls with our bare hands means we can swipe at the doorframe as we pass through and use the debris as an effective weapon against a very squishy target.

We need to let the king see the demon brazier (even for a moment) before we trash it.

Edit: +1 to take him alive

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Tuskins
Jul 27, 2007

I couldn't imagine life without the beautiful sight of the green horde
Even if the Anaki bites it I have a feeling the guys in similar robes know quite a bit.