Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

colachute posted:

I didn’t say anything about how they were dressed so you’re not arguing in good faith, and I also never said they should use military tactics (and instead leave that up to special units like swat), so you’re just lashing out.

I said if they can’t do it right they shouldn’t do it.

You then asked why I didn’t want them to respond.

So you tell me what they did wrong, since “if they can’t do it right they shouldn’t respond” means “they shouldn’t respond” to you.

Cole, do you think swat is perpetually on standby and close enough to respond to an active shooter call in a reasonable amount of time? It can take hours to get swat to respond to something depending on the location or if they are previously engaged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Chichevache posted:

Cole, do you think swat is perpetually on standby and close enough to respond to an active shooter call in a reasonable amount of time? It can take hours to get swat to respond to something depending on the location or if they are previously engaged.

Why did you immediately ask me why I didn’t want them to respond if I said they shouldn’t respond if they can’t do it right? Do you not think they can do it right?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Chichevache posted:

What the gently caress is the point if they aren't then?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

colachute posted:

Why did you immediately ask me why I didn’t want them to respond if I said they shouldn’t respond if they can’t do it right? Do you not think they can do it right?

I dont think there is a right way to respond to a crazy active shooter killing people in a public area, cole. There are only wrong ways.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Chichevache posted:

I dont think there is a right way to respond to a crazy active shooter killing people in a public area, cole. There are only wrong ways.

Good thing you used my name. I didn’t know who you were talking to, pig.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

A Bad Poster posted:

What the gently caress is the point if they aren't then?

Planned uses of force that have a high potential to be deadly that can be reduced by having officers with specialized training there. Think hostage situations, standoffs, etc.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

SWAT: EOD of copland

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Chichevache posted:

Planned uses of force that have a high potential to be deadly that can be reduced by having officers with specialized training there. Think hostage situations, standoffs, etc.

That description applies to literally any interaction between the police and the general public though.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Chichevache posted:

Hostage situations and standoffs are planned?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

my problem is that these dudes have the forethought to stage gear to respond, but the gear that they chose to stage is entirely civilian looking. Don't bother staging a plate carrier that says you're law enforcement and a simple wind breaker to throw on that again labels you as a cop. gotta wear the tactical poo poo and nothing else

PookBear fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 12, 2019

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

my problem is that these dudes have the forethought to stage gear to respond, but the gear that they chose to stage is entirely civilian looking. Don't bother staging a plate carrier that says you're law enforcement and a simple wind breaker to throw on that again labels you as a cop. gotta wear the tactical poo poo and nothing else

At least hes getting his steps in. Peep that iwatch. Nothing says operator like an apple watch that sends your location to the *~The Cloud~*

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

McNally posted:

Hostage situations and standoffs are planned?

Sorry "planned use of force" is some bullshit from my own use of force policy that gets stuck in my head sometimes. Basically it is something where you have time to plan and make a decision without the situation getting too much worse. Like, say a bank robbery goes wrong and the robber takes hostages. The uniform officer outside can safely stay outside without making the situation worse while he waits for supervisors, negotiators, and SWAT to respond. Obviously if he hears the hostage taker shoot then poo poo is out the window and he will probably have to run in. But otherwise, poo poo probably wont go off the rails if you wait a few minutes to get an idea of what is going on.

An active shooter situation is already hosed and doesn't give you the time to wait for the big boys with special training to show up. If you do, you become that piece of poo poo deputy from the Stoneman Douglas school shooting who "secured the scene" instead of trying to stop someone from murdering kids. That's the dilemma. Not every cop is- or should be- a bad rear end gunfighter capable of handling the things a swat team should. The downside to that is when the all too frequent mass shootings America is plagued with happen, the closest cop is probably going to be your average report writer.

So when someone says "if you cant do it right dont do it", well, the deputy who stood outside and listened to 17 children die at Stoneman Douglas made the decision not to do anything, and I think that was the wrong one.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Chichevache posted:

So when someone says "if you cant do it right dont do it", well, the deputy who stood outside and listened to 17 children die at Stoneman Douglas made the decision not to do anything, and I think that was the wrong one.

If cops can't use FBI HRT tactics without loving up they don't get to do FBI HRT cosplay

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Feels like most cops I know think they're John McLane in that situation, until they end up being Sgt Powell and shooting a kid.

The kid was an incel/white nationalist.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 12, 2019

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

The great American tradition of curing the disease after ignoring the symptoms for decades.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Remove AR-15s from law enforcement, distribute them and all the training to minorities. Problems solved.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Remove AR-15s from law enforcement, distribute them and all the training to minorities. Problems solved.

I can’t think of a quicker way to get gun reform to pass.

But whoever is manning the effort will just get assassinated like they did last time.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Bad stacks and shaves in Jersey were a bad reason to get pissy about cops, especially in the context.

Also, disingenuously taking the tack that colachute was against cops responding to Jews being murdered is some buckwild bullshit, Chichevache.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

mlmp08 posted:

Bad stacks and shaves in Jersey were a bad reason to get pissy about cops, especially in the context.

Also, disingenuously taking the tack that colachute was against cops responding to Jews being murdered is some buckwild bullshit, Chichevache.

if people can't post well they shouldn't do it at all

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Smiling Jack posted:

lol you're just begging someone to poo poo on you huh?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Kawasaki Nun posted:

lol you're just begging someone to poo poo on you huh?

sometimes you just gotta hang the curve

sink the ship to kill the captain for the non-baseball people

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

I obviously don't think the cops should have shaved and went out and got proper gear during the shooting, my problem is with the actions that were taken BEFORE the shooting. They deliberately prepared gear to respond to an emergency and had the forethought to prepare boots, tactical hat, gun etc but they didn't think to include anything that visibly identifies them as a cop. The dude specifically chose a plate carrier that does the opposite of that.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Smiling Jack posted:

the bravest post

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
also this is the gear they carry around when attending Unite the Right rallies

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

also this is the gear they carry around when attending Unite the Right rallies

I lold

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

the bravest post

It's a riff on Cole's bizarro Rumsfeld post that kicked off the last 3 pages of stupid.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

joat mon posted:

It's a riff on Cole's bizarro Rumsfeld post that kicked off the last 3 pages of stupid.

No actually my post that said the only thing about the picture that bothers me is how so many people are stacked on a wall is what kicked it off. That really upset some people and then the last 3 pages of stupid happened.

I still don’t know if the people arguing with me agree or not because it got defended by citing a lack of funding and training. Nobody actually said they should be doing exactly that.

E: I’m looking and nobody actually disagrees with me about them all being stacked on the wall but we argued for three pages anyway

colachute fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 12, 2019

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

it didn't really upset me, i pointed out that it's not a huge deal but do you

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

also not a single poster has used :bustem: yet

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

:bustem:

also something is very off about the initial cop shooting at the cemetery. No real information released yet, he was working solo? Very odd.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Smiling Jack posted:

it didn't really upset me, i pointed out that it's not a huge deal but do you

Then maybe I miss your point when you say it’s not a huge deal, or you miss mine when I say that I think eliminating unnecessary danger when lives are on the line is, indeed, a huge deal.

This is the last I’ll say about it because if we can’t agree on my fundamental point about eliminating unnecessary danger then we just can’t agree.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

colachute posted:

Then maybe I miss your point when you say it’s not a huge deal, or you miss mine when I say that I think eliminating unnecessary danger when lives are on the line is, indeed, a huge deal.

You can't eliminate all risk and the supervisors on the scene probably had other priorities than reorganizing a bunch of guys behind hard cover. Optimal deployment when you are way, way behind in the ooda loop or whatever is very hard. Preservation of life by establishing containment or active intervention, along with establishing control and gathering information are priorities.

Also for all we know five seconds after this picture was taken someone broke them up into four man teams.in case the perps got into the two adjacent schools, which is when poo poo goes right out the window and you charge in with the blue horde.

Edit: "step over the dead patrol cops and your dead partner and bury them (the perps) in bodies" was a technique discussed in active shooter at schools. Pity the Parkland morons didn't have the same training.

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 12, 2019

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Ok I’m not reading any of that because eliminating danger when lives are on the line is a huge deal regardless of whatever you just said. Details are irrelevant.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

colachute posted:

Ok I’m not reading any of that because eliminating risk is a huge deal regardless of whatever you just said.

Cops should be prepared to accept significant levels of risk to preserve the lives of citizens.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Ok cool but eliminating danger is important regardless. It’s funny that you’re coming back with stuff to this. I wonder why cops are so hazardous.

E: then again cops shouldn’t be trusted to know what’s dangerous with the way they shoot unarmed people

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

colachute posted:

Ok cool but eliminating danger is important regardless.

Yes, but as i said:

1) this is a frozen moment in time we don't know what's happening before or after
2) there are other more important tasks that mitigate risk before reorganizing these guys

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Smiling Jack posted:

Yes, but as i said:

1) this is a frozen moment in time we don't know what's happening before or after
2) there are other more important tasks that mitigate risk before reorganizing these guys

Ok but I’m not reading anything but the first few words of your post because it is irrelevant to the fact that eliminating danger is important (and not the racist kind).

Whatever you say does not matter.

Eliminating danger is important when lives are on the line.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

It’s like I’m trying to say “you should drink water to survive” and you keep coming up with all of these great points.

Who cares dude. Your points are irrelevant. Face out and drink water.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

colachute posted:

Ok but I’m not reading anything

yeah we can tell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

colachute posted:

It’s like I’m trying to say “you should drink water to survive” and you keep coming up with all of these great points.

Who cares dude. Your points are irrelevant. Face out and drink water.

This is like saying "you should drink water to survive" when the house is on fire