Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

We tried something like that once. We played it one time and then threw it in a fire because it was too strong a drinking games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Hey everyone. After all the terrible things that happened recently with FYAD, Ettin and I felt it was appropriate to make a statement about expectations within TG. It's sticky'd here.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Hey everyone. After all the terrible things that happened recently with FYAD, Ettin and I felt it was appropriate to make a statement about expectations within TG. It's sticky'd here.

This is a good statement, also on my part as a poster on these forums I pledge to do my absolute best not to do anything of that nature, and if I do so accidentally* please let me know so I can correct that behavior and properly apologize for it

*cause while I generally consider myself as being good about avoiding being a shithead, I am a White Male Catholic with Autism so I'm also fully aware that I might end up putting my foot in my mouth by accident

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Thank you for enabling the health of Trad Games - literally the only refuge on the internet I can discuss elfgames.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Thanks for posting this

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Zurui posted:

Thank you for enabling the health of Trad Games - literally the only refuge on the internet I can discuss elfgames.

Same.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Splicer posted:

When is a Genesys Fantasy sourcebook coming out?

It already did. Realms of Terrinoth was the first source book released for the system.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Looking to run a Traveller game for the first time after spending years only making characters. The temptation to make a heist adventure called The Solomani Rim Job is overwhelming and I assume its come to every Traveller GM in history.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

EverettLO posted:

Looking to run a Traveller game for the first time after spending years only making characters. The temptation to make a heist adventure called The Solomani Rim Job is overwhelming and I assume its come to every Traveller GM in history.

You should absolutely use that.

Which edition are you planning on using ?

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

mllaneza posted:

You should absolutely use that.

Which edition are you planning on using ?

Mongoose. I have the FFE reprints as well, but the life paths in Mongoose are more interesting and less likely to kill you.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

thefakenews posted:

It already did. Realms of Terrinoth was the first source book released for the system.
Any good?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Splicer posted:

Any good?

It's alright. It added some rules for signature gear/moves and a couple of new talents for fantasy stuff but it's mostly a fluff book Fantasy Flight's in-house fantasy setting they use for board games.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Does this mean it's safe to make a Kingdom Death Monster thread in TG now?

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Splicer posted:

Any good?

As already noted, it's OK. It is mostly a setting book. It has some additional fantasy related talents and appropriate equipment lists, but honestly most of what was needed was already in the core book. It does have some additional stats for monsters which are probably useful.

I think the system has plenty of material to run a fantasy campaign, but some additional work might be needed for anything other than a very generic style of fantasy.

I believe FFG also recently released a deck of spell cards, which would probably be helpful, as the magic system otherwise pretty much leaves it up to the players to construct their own spells (according to a set of rules).

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The expanded player's guide also adds some extra magic talents and a couple new 'base' spells to build stuff from.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Thanks, you two.

Wow, the Leper's Colony is a bloodbath.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Yeah, just looking at leper's colony I uh

Thanks for doing your best to keep TG free of all that nastiness.

Monokeros deAstris
Nov 7, 2006
which means Magical Space Unicorn

Your Moms Ahegao posted:

Does this mean it's safe to make a Kingdom Death Monster thread in TG now?

Sorry, what kind of joke was this supposed to be? Are you pushing back against the announcement, or what?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
It sucks canceling games. The Clone Wars game had to be canceled due to personal reasons. My legend of the elements game should end in the next few sessions. Being a tax accountant can blow a little as you really need to be able to commit a large portion of the year solely to work. However, I was burnt out. My only worry is I know one of the players posts on SA and I hope my previous comments on burnout didn't guilt them into leaving.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Monokeros deAstris posted:

Sorry, what kind of joke was this supposed to be? Are you pushing back against the announcement, or what?

I think they're just making fun of kingdom death as something that tries to be incredibly edgy.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I have a question that I can't ask out loud here, because of TG Secret Santa secrets. The question pertains to indie/small press RPGs. I would like one or two folks who are very well versed in the wide world of indie/small press RPGs, and are either A) not in the TG Secret Santa giftee pool or B) are in that pool, but have already got their gift(s), to send me a PM so I can privately ask you for a bit of advice.

I'm sorry for being cagey, I promise this is a very benign question and if you can't answer it nobody will feel bad, I just don't want to give away the surprise for a particular goon.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Leperflesh posted:

I have a question that I can't ask out loud here, because of TG Secret Santa secrets. The question pertains to indie/small press RPGs. I would like one or two folks who are very well versed in the wide world of indie/small press RPGs, and are either A) not in the TG Secret Santa giftee pool or B) are in that pool, but have already got their gift(s), to send me a PM so I can privately ask you for a bit of advice.

I'm sorry for being cagey, I promise this is a very benign question and if you can't answer it nobody will feel bad, I just don't want to give away the surprise for a particular goon.

I'm not in the pool. I don't have PMs, but you're welcome to write me on discord

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
I've just set up Just the Two of Us Jam, a game jam on itch.io for 2-player rpgs, interactive fiction games, Bitsy games, and similar stuff! You might have heard of/read/played established 2-player games like Murderous Ghosts by Vincent Baker, Mars Colony by Tim Koppang, or De Profundis by Michal Oracz, or newer games like Together We Write Private Cathedrals by Ben Roswell and say what you mean by Riley Rethal. The only requirement (outside of no bigotry etc.) is that your game has to be mainly meant for two players, so there's a huge scope of possibility. It starts on 01/01/2020 at 01:01 (GMT) and ends on 02/02/2020 at 02:02 (GMT).

If you can, please give it a boost on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SpeaktheSky/status/1205374217501466624

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Magnusth posted:

I'm not in the pool. I don't have PMs, but you're welcome to write me on discord

UnCO3 sent me a PM, but I'd love to ask you too. I'm not on the discord, but if you don't mind email, you can hit me up at my user name at gmail dot com!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

We played the Stra get Things 5e starter adventure last night and there's a point where you have to get blood from a Monstrosity and put it on the macguffin to open the portal back to the real world.

My fiancee, who has played very few RPGs and does not have a strong fantasy background, asked what she would have to do to be considered a monstrosity. She was completely willing to do something ridiculous and evil so that her blood would count. I was impressed by her thinking outside the box there because that's some problem solving

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Len posted:

We played the Stra get Things 5e starter adventure last night and there's a point where you have to get blood from a Monstrosity and put it on the macguffin to open the portal back to the real world.

My fiancee, who has played very few RPGs and does not have a strong fantasy background, asked what she would have to do to be considered a monstrosity. She was completely willing to do something ridiculous and evil so that her blood would count. I was impressed by her thinking outside the box there because that's some problem solving

Yeah and frankly it should be rewarded. The worst thing to see is someone engaging with a story like that only to be shot down because they're not solving it like d&d brain would.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah and frankly it should be rewarded. The worst thing to see is someone engaging with a story like that only to be shot down because they're not solving it like d&d brain would.
Absolutely. What you encourage is what you are gonna see more of.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

If she could have come up with a plan I absolutely would have because I fully support gently caress it lets have fun.

But sadly she wasn't able to come up with a plan for how to morally become monstrous when trapped in an otherworldly forest

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

That is so fuckin cool that I would have paused for a discussion about how we could make sure it happened.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If she wasn't alone, I guess she could murder one of her friends or something, but it's tough to become monstrously amoral if there's nobody around to hurt.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Make a table out of one of the trees, make a glass out of the leftover wood, pour a drink into it, then put it on the table without a coaster.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That only works if there are coasters. Otherwise you're just an animal.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Dodged the moral argument about doing evil to achieve good, at least.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Yeah the adventure as written has absolutely nothing in that section of the game except a literally immortal not-Eleven and the Stranger Things demogorgon. And up until that point I'd been rolling with the whole barren lifeless world with nothing around so there weren't any options to do something monstrous short of killing a party member.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Taken off one of her socks and thrown it away in another dimension. Literally impossible for them to be ever reunited.

Bonus monstrosity if she did an imitation of the guy from who framed roger rabbit.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The best part was she was a bard and every time she tried to use vicious mockery against the thessalhydra I rolled well above it's saving throw.

But it worked because her insults were things like

You have a lot of heads.

So thematically it fit

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Did the immortal not elf have socks? Steal one of her socks. An eternity of not throwing out the other sock, just in case.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Splicer posted:

Did the immortal not elf have socks? Steal one of her socks. An eternity of not throwing out the other sock, just in case.

Look man, I'm not a good DM and Princess Exposition had already hosed off on her "quest that she won't say anything about"

That said, I absolutely would have encouraged a plan had they come up with one because I was legitimately impressed with that level of thinking outside of the box.

Also we established earlier in the same game that the alter to the evil god wasn't desecrated because it was still a holy site just to an evil god and it was all a matter of perspective

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So, what do you guys do about metagaming? My DM is relatively new to DMing so we're doing a pretty stock-standard book and one of the guys in the group has done it recently enough to know everything that's going on and reacts accordingly. However, now we're doing a murder mystery part, and he reacts so obviously negatively to any mere mention of suspicion of the murder that it's plain given it away even though he tries so, so hard to just outright reject any idea that might possibly lead to it. It's slightly frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Nuebot posted:

So, what do you guys do about metagaming? My DM is relatively new to DMing so we're doing a pretty stock-standard book and one of the guys in the group has done it recently enough to know everything that's going on and reacts accordingly. However, now we're doing a murder mystery part, and he reacts so obviously negatively to any mere mention of suspicion of the murder that it's plain given it away even though he tries so, so hard to just outright reject any idea that might possibly lead to it. It's slightly frustrating.
Revealing stuff you know about an adventure because you've played it (or run it or read it) before is a huge dick move.

Especially to a new GM.