Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

inscrutable horse posted:

Looks familiar, you following Midwinter Minis' tutorials?

That's right. Incidentally I skipped ahead a bit today and did UR-025. He was one of the models I stripped but, for some reason, I could only get the worst of the white primer off with Biostrip, and he still had a white residue on him. Rather than risk it with another white spray primer, I just sat down and manually painted a couple layers of White Scar on him... at which point I figured, why not just paint him now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Repentia Done

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Decided to try the contrast paints for the first time on a box of easy build Intercessors and a box of Reivers. Just used Blood Angel Red. I liked how they turned out. I really like painting the Primaris marines. Their large size and cleaner, less busy models were a lot faster to paint than the Chaos Marines or the Deathwatch were.

I managed to find a somewhat local FLGS and they had a bunch of the kill team starter boxes and I grabbed the Writing Shadow one, so that'll be my first time painting something mostly organic. Gonna save those for my Christmas Vacation though.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
It's not perfect, the highlighting is wonky, and the candy-stripes are uneven-as-hell, but I finished da Red Gobbo before Christmas Sanguinala.

I did the ornaments with a VGC Silver undercoat, with Contrast paint overtop. The eyes were done with VMC Fluorescent Blue. I tried dabbing a little Akelian Green on one of the eyes to see if it would help the effect, but all it did was leave a little mark, and looking at it annoys me.

The coat was done with Blood Angels Red contrast, but it came out kind of streaky. I thought to touch up a bit with Mephiston Red, but I decided that would make it look worse.

At first, I thought the striping would go well, but the paint didn't spread as thinly as I hoped.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

richyp posted:

Repentia Done

You’ve painted a lot of incredible models my friend but that leader of the revolushun takes the cake.

10/10 incredible work.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My local game parlor did a wine and miniature painting thing. I have officially painted my first miniature

It's not great and he's rolling his eyes. But I painted a thing and it was only kind of unfun

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Any start is a good start!

Lately a lot of people start with Reaper Bones or the new D&D pre-primed (presumably because of cost) but they're pretty challenging models to begin on.

Bones have a weird texture and don't always take paint. The D&D heroes are really small, have a ton of detail, and don't always have faces.

I'd recommend trying something from 90s wargaming or a boardgame instead. Or if you do go with D&D, try a big monster.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A possible first start as well is to look at Youtube tutorial painting videos. Once I get through my small backlog I am going to be going through these videos just for fun and to branch out what I am painting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCDCx2SP6thl7r42CkTdblLA

[edit]
Cant link specific playlists for some reason. But watch Pete The Wargamer, they were someone who really helped me with starting on, their videos are great at explaining a lot of things I would never have picked up on my own.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 8, 2019

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

richyp posted:

Repentia Done

Man these new Christmas specials are so loving weird.

Gorgeous work as always.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Yeah I regretted grabbing the figure I did because he was a lot more intricate than the female paladin that was offered. I wanted to do more color on the armor but wasn't going to have time so I said gently caress it and went all silver.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Man these new Christmas specials are so loving weird.

Gorgeous work as always.

Red Gobbo and the Repentia, starting this Saturday morning after Transformers Gen 1.

Thanks :) he's a lot of fun to paint, fully recommend as a palette cleanser (no pun intended) if anyone wants a break from Marine squad 23 or whatever.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

richyp posted:

Repentia Done

Nice work. Might be a bit of a derail, but do those sisters have Black Carapace implants on their skin? Is that a new fluff addition to the SoB, because I don't recall having read that anywhere.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Werix posted:

Nice work. Might be a bit of a derail, but do those sisters have Black Carapace implants on their skin? Is that a new fluff addition to the SoB, because I don't recall having read that anywhere.

That's a new fluff edition as I recall, it was even mentioned back when the models were first previewed.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

richyp posted:

Red Gobbo and the Repentia, starting this Saturday morning after Transformers Gen 1.

Thanks :) he's a lot of fun to paint, fully recommend as a palette cleanser (no pun intended) if anyone wants a break from Marine squad 23 or whatever.

Palette cleansing is exactly why I started Tyranids.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Palette cleansing is exactly why I started Tyranids.

I tried this but there is no such thing as cleansing your palette with a horde army, it's a trap.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Iron Hands are my palate cleanser after orks. I may be working backwards here.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Aos is mine.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Mine is historicals. Super easy to paint to a tabletop standard.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

That’s because you’re a masochist.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I got a SHITLOAD OF ORKS and a SHITLOAD OF GREEN PAINT and ain't NOBODY GONNA STOP ME!

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I'm currently converting some Stormcasts to big skeleton warriors. Do any of you have good tutorials or references for Armor damage handy? There's some obvious things I could do with blade, dremel and soldering iron but specific tips on patterns and types of damage would be great.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

General Olloth posted:

I tried this but there is no such thing as cleansing your palette with a horde army, it's a trap.

Ripper Swarms and big bugs.

Meeple
Dec 29, 2009
After batch painting yet another mob of greenskins, this was my palette cleanser. I think I spent as much time on this guy as the preceding 30 put together.

Now to find a way to (safely) put him in the Christmas tree.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Transparent plastic ball maybe? Seems like the best option in that case.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
got some aggressors done, gonna need to do more at some point.

Surprisingly fast to paint, although I probably should not have included the close up.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
20mm Howard the Duck for Crisis Protocol

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Question: What's a good plastic glue to get that can be used indoors without fear of inhaling noxious fumes?

Up to now, I've been using Tamiya Extra Thin to assemble minis, and lately I've been doing inside the house while wearing a disposable 3M respirator and keeping the windows open to ventilate the room. However, the weather's been getting cold, and having the window open conflicts with keeping the house warm.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Wearing a respirator just for gluing?!

Huff dat poo poo son.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Max Wilco posted:

Question: What's a good plastic glue to get that can be used indoors without fear of inhaling noxious fumes?

Up to now, I've been using Tamiya Extra Thin to assemble minis, and lately I've been doing inside the house while wearing a disposable 3M respirator and keeping the windows open to ventilate the room. However, the weather's been getting cold, and having the window open conflicts with keeping the house warm.

I just take an extra hit everytime I crack the bottle. I'm sure I've still got a couple of brain cells left.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Max Wilco posted:

Tried Plastiweld yet? That poo poo doesn't stink nearly as bad...or I've become immune to it. It's still pretty toxic though so don't, yanno, drink it or anything.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Tried Plastiweld yet? That poo poo doesn't stink nearly as bad...or I've become immune to it. It's still pretty toxic though so don't, yanno, drink it or anything.

Is it this one? Looks like it costs a little more than the Tamiya Extra Thin, and it's not rated as highly, but comes with more in the bottle.

jassi007 posted:

I just take an extra hit everytime I crack the bottle. I'm sure I've still got a couple of brain cells left.

I don't know if can't afford to lose any more brain cells. I didn't have that many to begin with.

Still, I like using the Tamiya more than super-glue. :downs:

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 12, 2019

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Wait, am I a monster for using clear gorilla glue?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Pastry Mistakes posted:

Wait, am I a monster for using clear gorilla glue?

No, but I got the impression plastic glue was preferable to super-glue (at least in the sense that it's less of a mess to work with, and doesn't stick to your fingers).

With Gorilla Glue specifically, though, I remember reading in one of the Goonhammer articles that Gorilla Glue expands when it dries. I bought a small tube Gorilla Glue when I first started out doing minis, but I'm due to replace it soon, and I think I might go with Loctite or something else because of that.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

The original formulation of their Gorilla Glue does expand, I *think* but don't quote me on this, that their brand name super glue formulation does not expand. Never used it for minis myself.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

tangy yet delightful posted:

The original formulation of their Gorilla Glue does expand, I *think* but don't quote me on this, that their brand name super glue formulation does not expand. Never used it for minis myself.

Yeah originally gorilla glue was a specific type of expanding foam glue. Now it’s just a brand name for all types of glue including super glue and two part epoxies.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Meeple posted:

After batch painting yet another mob of greenskins, this was my palette cleanser. I think I spent as much time on this guy as the preceding 30 put together.

Now to find a way to (safely) put him in the Christmas tree.

Absolutely gorgeous paint job my friend. And you picked the best model GW has ever made to put that paint job on.

10/10 fantastic work.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
The plastic cement fumes are dangerous?

It's already troublesome enough that undercoat spraying should be done outside in 21C or warmer weather (thats like 3 days a year where i live) but i gotta glue the minis outside as well?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

It's a powerful solvent, but using it in a room with good ventilation is not going to be a problem or require a mask. If you're working at your desk, put the minis somewhere else to finish curing so that you don't smell the fumes.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

For airbrushing, are spray booths and masks an either/or situation, or do you really need both? I mean on youtube you pretty regularly see people with neither, but hobby folks seem like they’ve no regard for their own wellbeing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

jesus WEP posted:

For airbrushing, are spray booths and masks an either/or situation, or do you really need both? I mean on youtube you pretty regularly see people with neither, but hobby folks seem like they’ve no regard for their own wellbeing

Either, both, or neither. A lot of this has to do with what you’re spraying and at what PSI. Water based acrylics at 15? Nah. I mean sure be safe but this is extremely low risk. Metallic enamels at 40? I wouldnt gently caress with that without a mask and doing it outside or in a spraybooth.