Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

YggiDee posted:

Now I'm kinda curious if this is something he formally learned or if he just gets composition the way so many people evidently don't. Is it something that can be taught?

I'm sure it's like most other skills, where it's a combination of talent and practice. It takes a recognition that you can improve, though.

Incidentally, that's basically how Quirks work, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I think I read somewhere that Toriyama learned a lot about composition when he was an advertisement artist.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The secret is that visual comedy and legible action are fields with extreme skill overlap, and toriyama was a renowned comedic artist well before he drew a single goku

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
This allows me to spring into a really interesting question that I ask a lot about lots of media: What's the best-represented or best-executed of what I call the Three Elements (Comedy, Drama, and Action) in MHA?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Junpei posted:

This allows me to spring into a really interesting question that I ask a lot about lots of media: What's the best-represented or best-executed of what I call the Three Elements (Comedy, Drama, and Action) in MHA?

I wanna say...Gentle?

Not a "real" villain, likes the finer things in life and doesn't seem to take it very seriously, but can get serious if the stakes call for it, coupled with the Drama of his actions potentially ruining the festival the main characters put so much time and effort into, and for some, it's extremely serious thanks to Eri being there

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Their fight was also super creative (and I can't wait to see it animated)

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

YggiDee posted:

Now I'm kinda curious if this is something he formally learned or if he just gets composition the way so many people evidently don't. Is it something that can be taught?

IIRC Toriyama never had any formal manga training or even read much of it before becoming a mangaka, he was a designer for advertisements and only got into manga after he was fired and entered one of Shonen Jump's contests because he wanted the prize money (the title of his entry was literally "I Sent This In Because I Wanted The Prize Money"*) and the editor noticed him because of his unusual lettering.

* He didn't win because it was a Star Wars parody and parodies aren't allowed to win.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I have also heard that Toriyama is not passionate at all about making manga and just sees it as a job.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Libra posted:

I have also heard that Toriyama is not passionate at all about making manga and just sees it as a job.

This is one of those unproven things that gets passed around like a game of telephone. Dragonball is rife with those.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

The rumour that Goku is real and strong and my friend is true, though

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

As we all know, Toriyama wanted to end Dragon Ball after Bulma shot Goku in the head but his editor forced him to continue.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

This is one of those unproven things that gets passed around like a game of telephone. Dragonball is rife with those.
I don't think you can work a mangaka's schedule and not be passionate about art.

But his "make it up as I go" writing for Dragon Ball is super obvious in retrospect. It also explains him not remembering Launch (or which is 17 and which is 18) without the full "oh he just doesn't care at all" cop out.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

PMush Perfect posted:

I don't think you can work a mangaka's schedule and not be passionate about art.

But his "make it up as I go" writing for Dragon Ball is super obvious in retrospect. It also explains him not remembering Launch (or which is 17 and which is 18) without the full "oh he just doesn't care at all" cop out.

He's a very talented gag manga author who stumbled into a massively successful action series.

I feel like he has a passion for art and a passion for dumb jokes, but not a passion for telling stories.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I feel like it's kinda weird to say Toriyama stumbled into making one of the most popular manga ever. That's not really something that happens on accident.

Dragonball was just a legitimately good comic that did a lot of things right. It's good shonen.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

If anything, not having a formal manga training nor being an avid reader is what helped him develop an unique style that connected with all kind of people worldwide instead of being constricted by existing formulas.

We know he loves dumb jokes, kung fu movies and Hollywood movies and (specially early) Dragon Ball is a pastiche of all of those, so I'm sure he was having fun with it, it's just that some fans take the author not being a hardcore fan of its own work and memorizing every detail (which is normal when you don't plan ahead) as a sign of dispassion, specially when you put him next to someone like the One Piece author who is the diametrically opposite of him regarding planning ahead.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I feel like it's kinda weird to say Toriyama stumbled into making one of the most popular manga ever. That's not really something that happens on accident.

Dragonball was just a legitimately good comic that did a lot of things right. It's good shonen.

I feel like when people say that, it’s more about how Dragonball basically started as a gag manga with some fights because it was loosely based off of Journey to the West which has a shitton of fights, and even most of the early fights were themselves basically gags with the punchline being Goku’s horrifying strength. Like, the Dragonball volumes (1-16) are legit some of my favorite media of any kind ever because of all those things people noted, but I still think Toriyama never expected his series to blow up at all so in that sense I think it’s legit to claim that he made one of the most iconic comic book franchises, and THE most popular manga/anime in the world by accident without being disparaging.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I suddenly realize that I might have read the "Toriyama just does manga to pay the bills" thing in this very thread and it may have spawned this exact conversation. I'm getting like 3 separate feelings of deja vu all at once.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Poll results time!

>1 Bakugo 22876 Votes
>2 Midoriya 12373 Votes
>3 Todoroki 11805 Votes
>4 Kirishima 3374 Votes
>5 Iida 2201 Votes
>6 Shigaraki 1880 Votes
>7 Aizawa 1543 Votes
>8 Ochaco 1143 Votes
>9 Toga 1104 Votes
>10 Yaoyorozu 1083 Votes

Might be fake, we won't know for a bit but it's hilarious if true

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

TheKingofSprings posted:

Poll results time!

>1 Bakugo 22876 Votes
>2 Midoriya 12373 Votes
>3 Todoroki 11805 Votes
>4 Kirishima 3374 Votes
>5 Iida 2201 Votes
>6 Shigaraki 1880 Votes
>7 Aizawa 1543 Votes
>8 Ochaco 1143 Votes
>9 Toga 1104 Votes
>10 Yaoyorozu 1083 Votes

Don’t blame me I voted for Ojiro

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

Don’t blame me I voted for Ojiro

That's exactly why I do blame you.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

TheKingofSprings posted:

Poll results time!

>1 Bakugo 22876 Votes
>2 Midoriya 12373 Votes
>3 Todoroki 11805 Votes
>4 Kirishima 3374 Votes
>5 Iida 2201 Votes
>6 Shigaraki 1880 Votes
>7 Aizawa 1543 Votes
>8 Ochaco 1143 Votes
>9 Toga 1104 Votes
>10 Yaoyorozu 1083 Votes

Ehh, those don't seem too surprising. Bakugou is still the most popular character, but Deku managed to get back in the number two spot. Shigaraki and Toga finally get in the top 10 after the great Villian Academia arc. Odd to see iida there though since he hasn't done poo poo in forever. All Might falling out of the top 10 is a bummer, but he hasn't had much spolight in a long time. Endeavour and Hawks falling off the list is a bit surprising though. All those Momo votes should go to Mina instead, but I've accepted that she just isn't as popular in other places as she is here.

I remember that they tried a different method of gathering votes this time to cut down oh people just repeatedly sending in votes for one character, so that may have had an effect on the results as well.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

My boy got fourth! :toot:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I never understood why fans like Kirishima so much. The Overhaul arc was literally the only time he has been relevant.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

RatHat posted:

I never understood why fans like Kirishima so much. The Overhaul arc was literally the only time he has been relevant.

He's cute and fujos imagine him and Bakugo kissing

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

RatHat posted:

Only Fujos vote in these polls.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RatHat posted:

If relevance was the deciding factor in any of these polls, the only people on them would be Bakugou, Deku, Todoroki, All Might and then the Villain Alliance. It's fine. People like Kid Colossus/Kevin Levin, there's nothing wrong with that.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kild posted:

Only Fujos vote in these polls.

Apparently this time something was a bit different and only people who bought the manga could vote.

Which explains how multiple female characters ended up in the top 10 :v:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RatHat posted:

Lessee...

He's Bakugo's best friend, and Bakugo's the most popular character.
Fujos, as mentioned.
He's presented as really cool in his one big arc, unlike a lot of supporting characters.
He's got a likable personality and his powers, while basic, work well in the fight scenes he gets.

Seems like there's some reasonable explanations on the table.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

Lessee...

He's Bakugo's best friend, and Bakugo's the most popular character.
Fujos, as mentioned.
He's presented as really cool in his one big arc, unlike a lot of supporting characters.
He's got a likable personality and his powers, while basic, work well in the fight scenes he gets.

Seems like there's some reasonable explanations on the table.
Pretty much! That, plus he's the "kinda dim but bombastic and goodhearted boy" archetype done very well.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That's a good top 10. The number of votes the top 3 got in comparison to everyone else is very funny though. I know that's usually the case but I don't think i've seen a poll this skewed.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Poll results time!

>1 Bakugo 22876 Votes
>2 Midoriya 12373 Votes
>3 Todoroki 11805 Votes
>4 Kirishima 3374 Votes
>5 Iida 2201 Votes
>6 Shigaraki 1880 Votes
>7 Aizawa 1543 Votes
>8 Ochaco 1143 Votes
>9 Toga 1104 Votes
>10 Yaoyorozu 1083 Votes

Where the heck is Mina? :argh:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

That's a good top 10. The number of votes the top 3 got in comparison to everyone else is very funny though. I know that's usually the case but I don't think i've seen a poll this skewed.

We Never Learn....

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
how the hell did iida stay in the top 5? he ruined all my expectations of his growth unless he's the traitor

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

We Never Learn....

Poor Rizu

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Professorjuggalo posted:

how the hell did iida stay in the top 5? he ruined all my expectations of his growth unless he's the traitor

It's because he's very good and cool.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RatHat posted:

Poor Rizu

I say poor Fumio she does not even appear to be on there.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

What series is that from?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

PMush Perfect posted:

What series is that from?

We Never Learn. It was even said.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh. Okay, that makes sense. I thought they were just saying that we don't learn from the results of previous popularity contests, and since I didn't recognize the characters, I thought I was missing a point of comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Oh. Okay, that makes sense. I thought they were just saying that we don't learn from the results of previous popularity contests, and since I didn't recognize the characters, I thought I was missing a point of comparison.

It's sometimes also called We Can't Study, maybe you've heard of it with that title?