Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Chuka Umana posted:

Is there a conceivable path to Labour getting a majority or is the most we can hope for is a Labour largest party scenario?

Yes. If enough people vote for Labour, that is the path to a Labour majority. It can happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

CoolCab posted:

if you're going cheap go for bourbon imo. cheap whiskey always tastes too bitter to me and bourbon's sweetness cuts through somewhat.

whiskey always tastes sweet to me also i think i drink too much whisky. grouse is the only one i turn my nose up at it tastes like a lovely cordial flavoured after some alien fruit

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Chuka Umana posted:

Is there a conceivable path to Labour getting a majority or is the most we can hope for is a Labour largest party scenario?

It's not likely but stranger things have happened.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Fingerless Gloves posted:

My favourite is Ardbeg, but it's a bit pricey and Islay whisky might not be the best starting point. Aberlour, Balvenie and Jura are good starts, and can be pretty cheap at times

Oh I'm not a beginner I just wanted to know what people like.

My faves are:

- Glengoyne 10
- Old Pulteney 12
- Dalwhinnie 15
- Springbank 10
- Scapa (But the old one I think they don't make anymore)

Not a fan of highly peated types or even excessively aged complex ones (which is good for keeping the price down), just like nice gentle easy drinking floral varieties.

I did try Dalwhinnie winters gold, which they say to put in the freezer. Weird but I think it works nice! Comes out thick like syrup and almost as sweet, then gradually changes as it warms.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back

Communist Thoughts posted:

I had some mango innis and gunn and I'm now just pining for that constantly but, they onyl seem to sell it at frickin waitrose like everything good so it's beyond my reach

They sell that in the spoons around here. God drat I hate drinking in spoons but theres a pretty good one on concert square and sometimes a 2 quid pint is what's needed.

Ikwaylx
Aug 19, 2011

Drop the bandibass!

haakman posted:

Goodness Gracious how many goons are there in here from South Norwich?!

gently caress the roundabout at the top of Constitution Hill. That is all.

Hi I'm new to Norwich South let's meet up and go to all the best pubs immediate in the wake of glorious full luxury gay space communism thanks.

I love the walks around here, the Burlington Forests and Thetford Priory are amazing places to go, refreshing after years of Yorkshire hills.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

oh but seriously I posted:

whiskey always tastes sweet to me also i think i drink too much whisky. grouse is the only one i turn my nose up at it tastes like a lovely cordial flavoured after some alien fruit

ugh famous gross. i can tolerate whyte and mackey (some dumb spelling) but otherwise i don't generally bother with blended whisky, i occasionally go for some goofy bottle or name like monkey shoulder and wind up regretting it.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Chuka Umana posted:

Is there a conceivable path to Labour getting a majority

yes, it's called Everyone In The Country Voting Out The loving Tories, which is happening right now

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
what's the story with all the new gins you can shake up and make have psychedelic colours in. they look revolting.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

you can go for a safe option with balvenie, not everyone's a fan of peat. i've got a bottle to open tonight as well
e:

Aberlour, Balvenie and Jura are good starts, and can be pretty cheap at times
yeah these are my favourites, and i strangely prefer aberlour 10 to 12

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Dec 12, 2019

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

forkboy84 posted:

Absolutely not a whisky to get trollied on but is lush, Lagavulin 16 y/o. Well, I'm certainly not getting trollied on a £55 bottle of whisky, Doing a similar sort of thing (tasting of burned peat) but slightly less extravagant, Laphroaig 10 y/o should be closer to £30-35

For a smoother one I really dig the Dalwhinnie or The Balvenie.

Yeah I like Laphroaig for a cheaper version of a good whisky that tastes like flaming dirt. Could probably use some suggestions for tonight though, Talisker is nice too.
Jura used to be my favourite but I haven't had it in a while.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

CoolCab posted:

if you're going cheap go for bourbon imo. cheap whiskey always tastes too bitter to me and bourbon's sweetness cuts through somewhat.

Bourbon is amazing but is one of those drinks that I can just put down like fruit juice so it knocks me flat, white wine being the other one

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

My shameful whisky drinking fact: I only started drinking Laphroaig because it was mentioned in the Inspector Rebus novels. And then I acquired a taste for it and it's great. But yeah, I've yet to meet a single malt I'd turn down.

Actually, last whisky I had was a Suntory Toki which was nice, very, very mild.

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1205114539412541440?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
GOTV folk today - don't forget to vote yourselves!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

oh but seriously I posted:

i like whisky because it gets me pissed quickr
:same:

ThomasPaine posted:

Recommend me a whisky
Make your own.

Jose posted:

Drink rum instead
Make your own.

CoolCab posted:

what's the story with all the new gins you can shake up and make have psychedelic colours in. they look revolting.
They loosened the restrictions on small stills so everyone started making their own.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

you can go for a safe option with balvenie, not everyone's a fan of peat. i've got a bottle to open tonight as well

Balvenie Doublewood 12 or if you can stretch to it, the Caribbean Cask 14 are both great drams.

I have a Single Barrel 15 (from a PX cask) that is waiting for a good reason to open......

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Chuka Umana posted:

Yeah either non voters turn up to vote, new voters turn up in the right places, squeamish tories can't vote for bojo or a combo of all three.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

CoolCab posted:

All these new whisky distilleries popped up and it takes 8 years minimum for whisky so they fill the time by making gin.

So a lot of those boutique gins that have popped up in the last few years will be making boutique whisky before too long. Well, in theory. Gin is obviously having a moment for the time being.

haakman
May 5, 2011

Ikwaylx posted:

Hi I'm new to Norwich South let's meet up and go to all the best pubs immediate in the wake of glorious full luxury gay space communism thanks.

I love the walks around here, the Burlington Forests and Thetford Priory are amazing places to go, refreshing after years of Yorkshire hills.

Gladly! Also, food-wise - Brick Pizza on the market, Urban Munch next to Five Guys, Ciscoes & Flaming Galas, Gali Indian on Upper St Benedicts. Bun Box on the market is great, as well as the Falafel place just up from it.

If you are into nerdy things like boardgames, CCGs etc then Athena Games on St Gregory's Alley. Last Stand Wargaming for that sort of (40k ish) stuff.

Norwich really is a great place to live - I live in one of the 'worst' areas and it's great.

haakman fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Dec 12, 2019

Plank Sanction
Nov 3, 2016

Who invented the skip?
Nervous as hell, but weirdly optimistic. Busy polling station this morning in Falmouth, lots of young folk, lots of Labour canvassers, good atmosphere.

Hearing reports from colleagues that Lib Dem and Green voters they know are swinging behind Labour today. Anecdotal of course, but good to hear.

Thank you to all of you who volunteered in this election, and good luck to all of us!

Plank Sanction fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 12, 2019

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Actually, last whisky I had was a Suntory Toki which was nice, very, very mild.

Ah I forgot the Japanese ones. Yeah they're doing cool stuff over there. Really liked yamazaki 12. All a bit pricey though given they're made on the other side of the world

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same
Oh poo poo I just voted Labour I hope that's OK with the thread :worried:

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Superterranean posted:

only once?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I prefer the oldest modern pot distilled Scotch.

Which is to say the whisky perfected by Clackmannanshire lawyer John Jameson in 1778 before he founded his eponymous distillery in Dublin in 1780.

forkboy84 posted:

All these new whisky distilleries popped up and it takes 8 years minimum for whisky so they fill the time by making gin.

So a lot of those boutique gins that have popped up in the last few years will be making boutique whisky before too long. Well, in theory. Gin is obviously having a moment for the time being.
There are expedited ways of doing a decade of cask aging in half an hour that are commonly used for cheaper brandies, but the whisky industry doesn't like people talking about them.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
all of the worst "im totally leftist and would vote for labour if not for corbyn the nazi" wreckers are in overdrive today, just an endless torrent of whiny drivel and lies

gently caress 'em up jeremy

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Superterranean posted:

A vote for labour is a vote for LABOUR :byodood:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

RottenK posted:

all of the worst "im totally leftist and would vote for labour if not for corbyn the nazi" wreckers are in overdrive today, just an endless torrent of whiny drivel and lies

Lol at the absolute melt in norwegian papers voting green because of institutional racism in the party of *checks notes* committed and proven lifelong anti-racist Jeremy Corbyn.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

RottenK posted:

in lib voice: Clearly the "Auslander Raus!" slogan actually meant "Foreigners Welcome!", much like Corbyn's Labour promotes. You moron. you imbecile.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
The japanese whiskies have the best bottles, they're so beautiful

Ikwaylx
Aug 19, 2011

Drop the bandibass!

haakman posted:

Gladly! Also, food-wise - Brick Pizza on the market, Urban Munch next to Five Guys, Ciscoes & Flaming Galas, Gali Indian on Upper St Benedicts. Bun Box on the market is great, as well as the Falafel place just up from it.

If you are into nerdy things like boardgames, CCGs etc then Athena Games on St Gregory's Alley. Last Stand Wargaming for that sort of (40k ish) stuff.

Norwich really is a great place to live - I live in one of the 'worst' areas and it's great.

Apparently Brick Pizza do delivery, I really hope they deliver around UEA because they're actually amazing. Always wanted to try Urban Munch, might check it out next weekend, really had that Japanese small restaurant feel from looking at it from the outside.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

haakman posted:

2nd for Urban Munch, it will make you fat though.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

The japanese whiskies have the best bottles, they're so beautiful

Yeah but they don't taste worth the price.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/thegoodcatboy/status/1205122573085954048?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ikwaylx posted:

Apparently Brick Pizza do delivery
That sounds like a veiled threat.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
The Burrito place round the corner from 5 guys is great too.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I'm so sorry our country's only remotely "left" (:lol:) is such a loving dumpsterfire

Though it is from "The Hill" which is currently embroiled in some scandals because they allowed an extreme right wing propagandist to go nuts, so it probably means jack poo poo

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

That sounds like a veiled threat.

http://www.cc.com/video-playlists/kw3fj0/the-opposition-with-jordan-klepper-welcome-to-the-opposition-w--jordan-klepper/x7q9i2

(Use a USA vpn for this one)

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
Voted this morning - a pro-EU Blairite.

Then had about 15 Labour canvassers round doing GOTV, in a 15k Labour majority seat - if this is the ground game here, it's hopefull (Don't hope, hope is what gets you) for the rest of the country.

As for Whisky, go for whatever the Co-Operative (and Labour) has on offer at the moment !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haakman
May 5, 2011

Fumble posted:

The Burrito place round the corner from 5 guys is great too.

Nana Mexico? gently caress yes.

Also yes Brick delivers ... deliveroo though :(