Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Impermanent posted:

speaking of DOAM games, my last play of pax pam 2e got real 'gently caress the leader' at the end of it because we were all cash poor. kind of a fizzling end of the game. is that common or did we gently caress up in some way.

It absolutely can end that way. One of my plays the topple card was (iirc) literally the last card of the deck. This gave the players who would currently lose a lot of time to try and chisel at who would have won. By the time the card finally revealed, everyone was pretty much equal and looking through their hands for guns to help win the tie.
That was very much an outlier in my plays, but it didn't feel particularly against the grain of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Impermanent posted:

speaking of DOAM games, my last play of pax pam 2e got real 'gently caress the leader' at the end of it because we were all cash poor. kind of a fizzling end of the game. is that common or did we gently caress up in some way.

We did make like 2 big rules errors in tehat game though so i know it needs more plays to have a judgement but I want to know how everyone else's endgames have gone.

When you payed for actions like building armies or getting gifts did you put the coins back in the market? That can be an easy rule to miss.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I know it's only a few, but significant steps away from Sentinels of the Multiverse but my Street Masters: Aftershock pledge arrived today and man, it's lovely. Really excited to get it out and play a little Final Fight action.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

pospysyl posted:

When you payed for actions like building armies or getting gifts did you put the coins back in the market? That can be an easy rule to miss.

no we just made tax waaay too strong, thinking that higher ranks of it gave you extra tax actions. we also didn't count allied forces for territory contesting

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

One of my big regrets for PAX is that I didn't get to try out Knizia's Babylonia. Has anyone else gotten a look at it?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'm recently getting back into board games after my regular group dissolved a year or two ago. Since it's December anyways, what're all your favorite games from this past year, and what do you like about them?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

CodfishCartographer posted:

I'm recently getting back into board games after my regular group dissolved a year or two ago. Since it's December anyways, what're all your favorite games from this past year, and what do you like about them?

It has one game on it: Pax Pamir. It's an excellent somewhat abstracted simulation of Afghan politics with relatively low rules complexity but solid gameplay.

Looks gorgeous too.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

My GOTY right now is either Bus (which I guess doesn't count since it's a reprint) and Capstone Games' Pipeline. Pipeline's got a really great arc where money's extremely tight at the beginning, but as soon as you refine and sell your first bits of oil you're in the driver's seat. You get to exercise your creativity with the pipe bits and machines, you're allowed to take big risks with the upgrades and contracts, and the rules aren't too difficult to teach. Bus is also simple to teach and there's a ton of player interaction involved. I still want to try out Knizia's Babylonia though.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I’ve gotten some good enjoyment out of the Dune reprint, but I’m a sucker for very pretty asymmetrical tactical griping games.

E: oh and played Barenpark for the first time last week, that’s a kickass little puzzle.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 12, 2019

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

pospysyl posted:

One of my big regrets for PAX is that I didn't get to try out Knizia's Babylonia. Has anyone else gotten a look at it?

I played a game of it. I enjoyed it, but it didn’t blow me away. However, I find that I think about the game off and on since, which is normally a sign for me that the game is better than my first impression.

I liked Blue Lagoon and Yellow & Yangtze more as recent Knizias.
I would play it again, but am not currently looking to buy it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tiny Towns and Fast Sloths, because they play great with non-gamers.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I am so glad to have had a chance to grab Bus, it's pure Splotter.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Chubbs posted:

It's one of the best dexterity games that's both accessible to kids but still fun for adults. The extra map configurations add variety, and the ability to play with up to 8 people makes it a great party game if you've got the table space.

Yes! But only if you're actually playing it at a party, where it's fine to go off and talk to people and the other players can call you back when it's your turn to take a shot. 8 players at a game night was miserable.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Adding to the GOTY discussion: I quite liked Marvel Champions after two plays. It's very Arkham Horror/LOTRLCG lite, but the streamlined deckbuilding, lack of campaign and lighter approach give it a good niche.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Every time people talk about GOTY and I look at my played games for that year, I always realize I lag 1-3 years behind the new releases :shrug:

I guess Just One is pretty cool. It’s a game I can play with anyone that clicks after one round. Cerebral enough, yet accessible.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Res Arcana (neat little engine builder) and Nights of Fire (asymmetric euro/wargame) were both good from this year too.

Pax Pam was the standout though.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
My GOTY is probably Aeon's End: New Age, though I haven't played many games from this year. I do quite like Quirky Circuits, it's the ideal gateway coop game, but too light for me to rate it higher.

Of the best 'new to me' games I've played this year, El Grande is absolutely amazing. Love it to bits, one of my favorites ever. Honorable mentions to Robinson Crusoe, Castles of Burgundy, and Nusfjord.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

So I bought Orléons with Invasion and T&I and I have a few questions before getting it on the table.

1) The T&I events are recommended, right?

2) Any place cards that should be out of the game in a noob round?

3) With or without Order Cards?

4) Which of the 3 boards where you send your workers is the best one? The Beneficial Deeds Board from the base game is the boring one, right?

Edit: My GotY will probably be Crystal Palace. Played it again yesterday at 2 players and it works and playes just so well. Meaty decisions with not that much rules overhead IMO.

Second place Keymarket, 3rd Cooper Island

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 12, 2019

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Selecta84 posted:

So I bought Orléons with Invasion and T&I and I have a few questions before getting it on the table.

1) The T&I events are recommended, right?

2) Any place cards that should be out of the game in a noob round?

3) With or without Order Cards?

4) Which of the 3 boards where you send your workers is the best one? The Beneficial Deeds Board from the base game is the boring one, right?

1) Yes, absolutely. The base game events let people adapt their strategy based on foreknowledge, but that's a two-edged sword because it can mean that the guy who planned early for goods collection can get a boost or the guy who wants to go heavy development is punished because two events of a specific kind are drawn early.

2) I would remove the Bathhouse, especially if you bought a DLP 1st edition where it lacks the errata. (If it doesn't tell you to draw 3, you're fine.)

3) Without. I've never used them, and nine times out of ten it's too much trouble to use them.

4) Use the T&I Beneficial Deeds board for your first game. If you ever find the game too dry and lacking interaction, use the Intrigue board instead. Bin the base game BD board, you'll never want to use it.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Jedit posted:

1) Yes, absolutely. The base game events let people adapt their strategy based on foreknowledge, but that's a two-edged sword because it can mean that the guy who planned early for goods collection can get a boost or the guy who wants to go heavy development is punished because two events of a specific kind are drawn early.

2) I would remove the Bathhouse, especially if you bought a DLP 1st edition where it lacks the errata. (If it doesn't tell you to draw 3, you're fine.)

3) Without. I've never used them, and nine times out of ten it's too much trouble to use them.

4) Use the T&I Beneficial Deeds board for your first game. If you ever find the game too dry and lacking interaction, use the Intrigue board instead. Bin the base game BD board, you'll never want to use it.

Thanks. Gonna try it with those things in mind.

My bathhouse needs a Farmer and says draw 2, return one.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

What're people's thoughts on Crystal Palace's turn order? Ought it be ordered by bid, not first place then clockwise?

Also, the linked cards seemed really weird, just this little bonus if your matched card happened to come out and you happened to be able to get it, or maybe someone snipes it with a top of the deck power...

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Turn order never really mattered in our games. I feel like being first is only important If you really want one specific action at all costs with a five. Otherwise pay for a six. Sixes never occured in our games. 4s and 2s happened way more often and even then most of the time you can place your higher dice on a space as good as the other one you wanted first. Grain of salt and all cause I only played at 3 and 2 players. In a 2 player game 3s are really good.

Synergy bonuses also never really mattered cause I feel like 4 points are worse then a maybe supbar bonus from that Person Card.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Jedit posted:

I cannot second this enough.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Llyranor posted:

I cannot second this enough.

Duly noted :)

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Jedit posted:

I've heard the orders are needed to boost goods strategies to the same viability as the scholar track. Do you find it works just fine without this?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Selecta84 posted:

Turn order never really mattered in our games. I feel like being first is only important If you really want one specific action at all costs with a five. Otherwise pay for a six. Sixes never occured in our games. 4s and 2s happened way more often and even then most of the time you can place your higher dice on a space as good as the other one you wanted first. Grain of salt and all cause I only played at 3 and 2 players. In a 2 player game 3s are really good.

Synergy bonuses also never really mattered cause I feel like 4 points are worse then a maybe supbar bonus from that Person Card.

Same was true for our 5P game. Spending big money on dice is a trap and late turn order can actually be a pretty big advantage if you plan for it well as you get to see where people commit before you have to do so.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Heads up to anyone that ordered Medieval Battle Line from GMT; they required signature for delivery for some reason and I missed it today and am out of town 🙃

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

silvergoose posted:

What're people's thoughts on Crystal Palace's turn order? Ought it be ordered by bid, not first place then clockwise?

Also, the linked cards seemed really weird, just this little bonus if your matched card happened to come out and you happened to be able to get it, or maybe someone snipes it with a top of the deck power...

I want to try Crystal Palace but do you think I'll enjoy it? It looks like, well you know my current disdain of MWEs or Lacerda-likes, but is it relatively streamlined given all that?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

silvergoose posted:

Game designers try to innovate and players are like 'we want it the old way!'. There's no issue with the turn order in my opinion. Each place in the turn order conveys advantages and disadvantages. Learn how to use the advantages and avoid the disadvantages.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Chill la Chill posted:

I want to try Crystal Palace but do you think I'll enjoy it? It looks like, well you know my current disdain of MWEs or Lacerda-likes, but is it relatively streamlined given all that?

If you like mean games you'll enjoy it. If not, you'll hate it. I'm kind of in between, I'm not as interested in games that have the downward spiral that Crystal Palace has, although with thought it is at least manageable.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
It's a dice-placement Euro with some meanness and very high interactivity. It's not heavy, but it's also not Lacerda-esque. Does your hatred of MWEs extend to, say, Marco Polo? Then I'd say avoid it as it's probably in a similar weight class. I just happen to think it owns (and weirdly enough, Lacerda calls it his GOTY, so I guess it has that going for it too) but YMMV.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Selecta84 posted:

Thanks. Gonna try it with those things in mind.

My bathhouse needs a Farmer and says draw 2, return one.

That's DLP errata, which is the version I prefer. TMG errata has no activation and passively gives you two extra follower draws per turn, returning one.

Megasabin posted:

I've heard the orders are needed to boost goods strategies to the same viability as the scholar track. Do you find it works just fine without this?

Goods are very capable of winning as-is, especially if they're uncontested. They also get improved by a couple of the place tiles, specifically the Depot (5VP for each complete set of the five goods) and the Merchant House (4VP for each type of goods you have the most of). I don't honestly see the orders helping much, as they require the delivery of specific goods to specific places and going out of your way to get those good or to those locations requires actions you could use doing something else.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
Request: A light game for 6 players that is language-independent. A couple are having both their parents over for christmas and they do not speak common languages fluently.
So far I can think of: 6 nimmt, Diamant/Incan Gold, Junk Art.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

discount cathouse posted:

Request: A light game for 6 players that is language-independent A couple are having both their parents over for christmas and they do not speak common languages fluently.

Point Salad, Dodekka, Celestia.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Request: A light game for 6 players that is language-independent. A couple are having both their parents over for christmas and they do not speak common languages fluently.

Maskmen :getin:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

Hmmmmm.

I only played 3, where the meanness wasn't as pronounced, but I gather at 4 it can get very mean, and I'd put that meanness in the Vanuatu sense. Every space has one more auction slot (for a die you've chosen the face of and paid for each pip) than action space, so you can save a large die and plop it down, effectively denying someone the entire action.

The action resolution is kinda dominant species, so you bid however you want but actions resolve in a specific order.

I think you should try it? Not entirely sure if it's for you, but there's some stuff you like in there.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mayveena posted:

Game designers try to innovate and players are like 'we want it the old way!'. There's no issue with the turn order in my opinion. Each place in the turn order conveys advantages and disadvantages. Learn how to use the advantages and avoid the disadvantages.

That's fair. I think my question boils down to "I like how Civilization does turn order based on census...why isn't this doing that too?"

I certainly agree (again just one play) that going later can definitely have some advantages. Knowledge is power.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

El Fideo posted:

Yes! But only if you're actually playing it at a party, where it's fine to go off and talk to people and the other players can call you back when it's your turn to take a shot. 8 players at a game night was miserable.

Yeah, put it on a table with no chairs in the middle of a room and then everyone can walk around with drinks in their hands and occasionally walk over to take a shot or laugh at someone as they accidentally slide right into whomever's the catcher. The board game equivalent of a pool table in a bar.

On a separate note, played Galaxy Trucker last night and had a blast. Can't wait to play it again!

Also, the Sorcerer City KS just delivered a few days ago and I'm super excited to play that. Simply put, it's a deckbuilder, but instead of cards, you build a stack of tiles that you then lay out each round (during a timed phase) to build your own little city district, Carcassonne style, and try to satisfy goals on the tiles in order to get more money for more tiles the next round. There are a few other mechanics like monster tiles and several scoring tracks other than money that help you in other ways, so the game keeps things spicy and unpredictable and you can pursue strategies other than purely going for money and more tiles.

Chubbs fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 12, 2019

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Condotierre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Provided you have some people who are fluent in both to explain rules, I've had a lot of success with Sushi Go Party, Halli Galli, and Phase 10 in mixed-language groups.