Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

*inhale*
artbutts artbutts artbutts ARTBUTTS ARTBUTTS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
scott weiland lookin good

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
pretty proud of this one

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Free to a good home: Drawing on the Right side of the brain.
I got as far in the book as I think I ever will, it is a good book and now it needs a new place to be.
Included is a viewfinder and the unused workbook.
If you take this book from me, please be a beginner looking to improve but if you really want it and lie a bit, I won't judge.
I'll ship anywhere, shipping on me, because I am sad and giving stuff away makes me happy.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
syntaxrigger , you should jump on Keetron's offer if you can.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Franchescanado posted:

syntaxrigger , you should jump on Keetron's offer if you can.

Good lookin out Franchescanado! :)

I actually already have this book and have read through it. I told myself I was going to work through it, i.e. do the exercises, but have yet to. Mainly because of the extra stuff you need.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Rural mimics - mainly graphitints, with some inktense on the second one.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
Thanks for the painting tips, they were helpful. Here's an update on where I'm at. I used the multiply layer on my value drawing and some screen / soft light layers on top then I merged them and started working on the solid color. The characters, midground and background are all separated.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

syntaxrigger posted:

Good lookin out Franchescanado! :)

I actually already have this book and have read through it. I told myself I was going to work through it, i.e. do the exercises, but have yet to. Mainly because of the extra stuff you need.

4 things you need:
- A piece of plexiglass / perspex or whatever you call it over there. Pick it up at your local DIY store.
- A piece of black cardboard: hobby store / amazon
- 2 big clips to keep cardboard to plexiglass: hobby store / amazon
- an erasable marker: hobby store / amazon
This is two stores, the other materials you already have.You, sir/madam*, are procrastinating.

You could wait if nobody else takes up my offer, I'll send you mine.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Did doodle of my friend's lil doggy.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Keetron posted:

This is two stores, the other materials you already have.You, sir/madam*, are procrastinating.

You could wait if nobody else takes up my offer, I'll send you mine.

You are not wrong. At this point I find myself getting afraid too, oddly. I am not certain of what. Sometimes I think about drawing and I get afraid. I have been able to push through it so far but I am not sure why it is happening. My only guess is a fear of failure. I am on day 10 of 66 of drawing at least 15 mins a day, so at least I got that going for me. :)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

syntaxrigger posted:

You are not wrong. At this point I find myself getting afraid too, oddly. I am not certain of what. Sometimes I think about drawing and I get afraid. I have been able to push through it so far but I am not sure why it is happening. My only guess is a fear of failure. I am on day 10 of 66 of drawing at least 15 mins a day, so at least I got that going for me. :)

It's performance anxiety, based on an expectation that the finished product must be good..

Forget that the outcome can be good or bad, for now. Consider any piece you are working on as a study, in that you are putting all of your skills you have to the test. It is not a statement of skill, or your position as an artist compared to the world, it is you pushing your skills because you want to challenge yourself because you like drawing.

Remind yourself that you are drawing for the sake of drawing. You are not drawing for a finished piece. You are not drawing for an audience. You are not drawing for a gallery. You are drawing to draw, and you just happen to show us what you've done so you can get advice to continue drawing, because you like drawing.

There's a really good book called Art & Fear which I keep on the shelf, next to my papers, my notebooks, my anatomy books, my references. As an artist, you're probably prone to anxiety or fear or impostor syndrome. Open up Art & Fear and read a few passages, pick up your pencil or pen and start drawing for the sake of drawing.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

It's performance anxiety, based on an expectation that the finished product must be good..

Forget that the outcome can be good or bad, for now. Consider any piece you are working on as a study, in that you are putting all of your skills you have to the test. It is not a statement of skill, or your position as an artist compared to the world, it is you pushing your skills because you want to challenge yourself because you like drawing.

Remind yourself that you are drawing for the sake of drawing. You are not drawing for a finished piece. You are not drawing for an audience. You are not drawing for a gallery. You are drawing to draw, and you just happen to show us what you've done so you can get advice to continue drawing, because you like drawing.

There's a really good book called Art & Fear which I keep on the shelf, next to my papers, my notebooks, my anatomy books, my references. As an artist, you're probably prone to anxiety or fear or impostor syndrome. Open up Art & Fear and read a few passages, pick up your pencil or pen and start drawing for the sake of drawing.

That is really good advice. I am going to do my best to remember it. Thank you!

I am going to have to get that book.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

syntaxrigger posted:

For what it's worth: You're doing very well to be sticking with the drawing for even 10 days in a row, and you've definitely improved from when you started and now.

I find that the biggest thing with drawing is learning to give yourself permission to suck at drawing. Even professional, highly-acclaimed artists draw stuff they're not happy with - sometimes ratings just don't work out and that's cool.

Often, if I have a string of bad drawings or am otherwise stuck creatively, I'll sit down and do some "comfort drawings:" things that I know how to draw well, that I find aesthetically pleasing, and that are fast to do. For me, that's drawing ghosts (like, the simple wispy blob kind, with just some circles for eyes and a mouth). Basically, just do something fun and not serious that you know you'll be happy with to give yourself a "win." A couple drawings like that and then I'm ready to get back on with doing more challenging stuff. Is there anything you've drawn so far that you really enjoyed? Why not go back and give something like that another go for a day?

I managed to get the Christmas card I started as finished as it will be, since I have to do a rush printing job to have it ready for this weekend.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
For every good piece of art you see there are thousands upon thousands of failures that led to it. Never be afraid of failure. No one ever gets good at anything without it.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

syntaxrigger posted:

That is really good advice. I am going to do my best to remember it. Thank you!

I am going to have to get that book.

What he said.

Phylodox posted:

For every good piece of art you see there are thousands upon thousands of failures that led to it. Never be afraid of failure. No one ever gets good at anything without it.

Or get into watercolors and embrace failure.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Not quite done (ran out of time at lunch to draw the lettuce leaf).

Wizard's Tortoise, juvenile.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

gmc9987 posted:

For what it's worth: You're doing very well to be sticking with the drawing for even 10 days in a row, and you've definitely improved from when you started and now.

I find that the biggest thing with drawing is learning to give yourself permission to suck at drawing. Even professional, highly-acclaimed artists draw stuff they're not happy with - sometimes ratings just don't work out and that's cool.

Often, if I have a string of bad drawings or am otherwise stuck creatively, I'll sit down and do some "comfort drawings:" things that I know how to draw well, that I find aesthetically pleasing, and that are fast to do. For me, that's drawing ghosts (like, the simple wispy blob kind, with just some circles for eyes and a mouth). Basically, just do something fun and not serious that you know you'll be happy with to give yourself a "win." A couple drawings like that and then I'm ready to get back on with doing more challenging stuff. Is there anything you've drawn so far that you really enjoyed? Why not go back and give something like that another go for a day?

I managed to get the Christmas card I started as finished as it will be, since I have to do a rush printing job to have it ready for this weekend. Thanks for the feedback. I don't really feel like I am getting better.

I like the idea of comfort drawings. I will have to find something that consistently fills that role. I think a subject like that would help.

Phylodox posted:

A good point worth remembering. Thanks

Keetron posted:

What he said.

Or get into watercolors and embrace failure.
I unironically have been looking at watercolors because I love ink and I love when I watch people paint in watercolor how the gradients look and how the pigment moves. It looks so satisfying!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

syntaxrigger posted:

I unironically have been looking at watercolors because I love ink and I love when I watch people paint in watercolor how the gradients look and how the pigment moves. It looks so satisfying!
Just remember that the same thing applies: the more you practise, the more skill you develop in manipulating that medium. After some 6 months I can look at my stuff and see that the practise is paying off but by no means am I Shibasaki. It is a forgiving medium, absolutely and it is so nice to have your skills in drawing and painting progress together.

If you will not take the book, will you maybe take a watercolor starter set I have lying around? Van Gogh tubes (slightly used set), brushes and a sketchbook is what I can offer. Shipping on me, holiday cheer, blahblah, you know the drill. Send me a PM if interested.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Keetron posted:

Just remember that the same thing applies: the more you practise, the more skill you develop in manipulating that medium. After some 6 months I can look at my stuff and see that the practise is paying off but by no means am I Shibasaki. It is a forgiving medium, absolutely and it is so nice to have your skills in drawing and painting progress together.

If you will not take the book, will you maybe take a watercolor starter set I have lying around? Van Gogh tubes (slightly used set), brushes and a sketchbook is what I can offer. Shipping on me, holiday cheer, blahblah, you know the drill. Send me a PM if interested.

Sold! Thank you very much!

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
I had a similar fear when I was making music. I felt that it had to be "perfect" and I was afraid of finishing a song because of that. Because what if my artistic talent at the moment isn't good enogh to make this idea I have justice? Then I realized that I can just make a song that is as good as I can at this moment and if I in 6 months have become a better artist I can just make a 2.0 version of the same song, who cares? That helped me to actually finish a couple of songs.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Hi, was busy with school stuff that I'm now almost done with but I got caught up with my daily art posts (and beginning to understand how the animation tools in CSP work) in the meanwhile!

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1204509574746779654

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

I tried an experiment this morning where you scribble in the general location of things and "find the shapes" I think what it taught me is I have a lot more sketches of the face before something like this will be useful.

e: awful app

syntaxrigger fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 11, 2019

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

IkeTurner posted:

Did doodle of my friend's lil doggy.

:swoon:
Ok ok ok OK listen. Listen. I need you to .. no, seriously, listen, I NEED YOU TO TELL YOUR FRIEND THEY HAVE SUCH A GOOD DOG, OK? Ok? Tell them. The dog is incredible.

Angrymog posted:

Not quite done (ran out of time at lunch to draw the lettuce leaf).

Wizard's Tortoise, juvenile.

This is freaking adorable, and I kinda love the idea of a lil tortoise with a tiny house model on its back that grows bigger as it ages. Are you using those watercolour-pencils where you pencil and then it turns to watercolour, when you add water?
I'd also try to take the pics somewhere with a bit more light, just holding it up under a light can make a difference when you're snapping a pic.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Sharpest Crayon posted:

This is freaking adorable, and I kinda love the idea of a lil tortoise with a tiny house model on its back that grows bigger as it ages. Are you using those watercolour-pencils where you pencil and then it turns to watercolour, when you add water?
I'd also try to take the pics somewhere with a bit more light, just holding it up under a light can make a difference when you're snapping a pic.

Yep, water colour pencils, Caran D'ache supracolours specifically. Lighting in work canteen isn't great, will try to take better ones if I manage to draw something tomorrow. (sadly my lunch tends to be noodles, so no hipster-esque photos of drawings of food)

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Whomever said texture was hard wasn't lying. I can't really figure out how to do the fur and antler texture with pen. I am pretty proud of the nose tho even if it is a little off.

I am afraid to touch it until I figure out how the textures should work.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Doodled another friend's doggy.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Doodled another of my friend's doggies.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

syntaxrigger posted:

Whomever said texture was hard wasn't lying. I can't really figure out how to do the fur and antler texture with pen. I am pretty proud of the nose tho even if it is a little off.

I am afraid to touch it until I figure out how the textures should work.

Lots of short strokes in the direction of the fur, denser where there are shadows. Photocopy or trace your lines to practice with if you're not confident of working on the original

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
5 min fur:

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

I think it's like jazz. It's all about the fur notes you don't play.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
Probably mess with it some more later:

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Thanks! Fur is the next step. So I will definitely try this.

I was most confused by how to get the antler texture right with pen. This morning I had a bit of an epiphany. Since pen is opaque the closeness or sparseness of the marks seems to be able to stand in somewhat for opacity.

Anyways I am pretty happy with how they turned out. Any critique is welcome

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Maybe needed a bit more gradation between the light and dark bits, but that's looking good, and you've preserved the 3d feel of the branches.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Practice for my submission to the current artdome challenge.

Doodle of the adult wizard's tortoise

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Angrymog posted:

A'Tuins younger years you mean?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Keetron posted:

A'Tuins younger years you mean?

Great A'tuin is a turtle. Also, there are no elephants.

Apple in watercolours. Not happy with this one - forgot the shine until I had just finished the top, the bottom is too flat, and honestly, multi-layer watercolour is a bad medium to try and finish things in at lunch.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

If you want to do fast watercolors, use super thin layers. Also put a white gel pen or pencil in your bag.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Angrymog posted:

Practice for my submission to the current artdome challenge.

Digging Ganesha watercolor! Looks really good. The skin choice weirds me out a bit, I thought Ganesha had blue skin? I dunno. Looks like human skin heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Keetron posted:

If you want to do fast watercolors, use super thin layers. Also put a white gel pen or pencil in your bag.

Actually have one with me. Thanks for the reminder