Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

God loving damnit. I switched off of FreeNAS to avoid stupid reactionary changes.

code:
$ sudo apt update
Ign:10 [url]http://ppa.launchpad.net/jonathonf/zfs/ubuntu[/url] bionic InRelease                                       
Err:13 [url]http://ppa.launchpad.net/jonathonf/zfs/ubuntu[/url] bionic Release                                                
  404  Not Found [IP: 91.189.95.83 80]
Reading package lists... Done                                
E: The repository 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/jonathonf/zfs/ubuntu bionic Release' no longer has a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

:doh: God drat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

:doh: God drat it.

His ranty announcement: https://launchpad.net/~jonathonf

r/zfs post about it: https://www.reddit.com/r/zfs/comments/e984zb/jonathonf_ppa_offline/

derk
Sep 24, 2004

highlight from his rant:

If you have already been in contact please ping me so I can add your Launchpad ID to the relevant private PPAs. Apologies for the friction.

PPAs which have moved to become private access:

Enki
GP2
Isabelle
JRuby
Julia
MiniZinc
PRISM
Protégé
SUMO
Walksat
WinDLX

Albert
Ansible
Backport collection
Ballast
Barrier
Bazel
CUDA tools
Development tools
earlyoom
Emacs 26
FFMPEG 4
GNU IMP
git
OpenJDK
Perl6
Perl6 (build dependencies)
pypy
Python 2.7
Python 3.5
Python 3.6
Python 3.7
Redis
Wireguard
ZFS on Linux
ZFS on Linux (0.7.13)
ZFS on Linux (Debian)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
PPA's are garbage and shouldn't be tolerated for enterprise deployments. I know this is the home thread, but PPA's are garbage in general. See also: Node.js. Anything which reduces their widespread adoption is good in my book. :colbert:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

PPA's are garbage and shouldn't be tolerated for enterprise deployments. I know this is the home thread, but PPA's are garbage in general. See also: Node.js. Anything which reduces their widespread adoption is good in my book. :colbert:

Lesson learned :v:

I get the anger but I feel like this is just harming the community at large more than anything else. There's over 15k hits on Google for "jonathonf ppa" and I'd wager most of those are homegamers using them for zfs, ffmpeg (both of which I've used) and other tools where someone wants either a significantly newer or more feature-complete version than what the official repo has.

It looks like 20.04 is going to have ZoL 0.8.2 so I'll probably call that a good reason to finally do a clean install. I think the current OS on there has been in-place upgraded from at least 16.04.

sort of edit: He links to his article on kofi about the "sustainability of open-source". Yes, people should be supported to do work, but the literal "take your ball and go home" scorched earth action seems quite the opposite of looking for sustainability, instead of just stopping work on them and leaving them be.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 12, 2019

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Not to turn this into a OSS conversation, but I do get his point that companies are out there making Real Money off his work, yet return nothing in kind to the community, and he's tired of it. At least it sounds like he's allowing individuals to continue to get access if they ask nice?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Lesson learned :v:

I get the anger but I feel like this is just harming the community at large more than anything else. There's over 15k hits on Google for "jonathonf ppa" and I'd wager most of those are homegamers using them for zfs, ffmpeg (both of which I've used) and other tools where someone wants either a significantly newer or more feature-complete version than what the official repo has.

It looks like 20.04 is going to have ZoL 0.8.2 so I'll probably call that a good reason to finally do a clean install. I think the current OS on there has been in-place upgraded from at least 16.04.

sort of edit: He links to his article on kofi about the "sustainability of open-source". Yes, people should be supported to do work, but the literal "take your ball and go home" scorched earth action seems quite the opposite of looking for sustainability, instead of just stopping work on them and leaving them be.
OSS sustainability in the face of companies using code made by private individuals is an odd thing, because it's not like the idea is new.
FreeBSD has had individuals and companies commiting it all the time, and yet all the commiters who work on it individually - or at least all the ones I've spoken to - are completely fine with it being used by companies.

So is it a question of unresolved expectations that lead to this kind of ball- and leave-taking?

The only saving grace is that he made them private, so there won't suddenly be a slew of no-longer-updated mirrors, isn't it?

EDIT: Also, 16.04 to 20.04 isn't a long history of in-place upgrades. I have one machine that's been upgraded in place since FreeBSD 7 in 2009 and there are user-files that date back to when I first installed it in 2000
2007 was when I switched from UFS to ZFS, I wasn't brave enough to run the backport to 6.x.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Dec 12, 2019

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

16.04 to 18.04 is just one major LTS release, sure, but even as they've iterated 18.04 there are changes to a lot of system tools where my box still uses "the old way" of doing it.

I think the last line of his kofi post is a bit telling as well - he didn't feel appreciated enough by non-corporate users either.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

It seems like he got caught up in making all these PPA's without understanding how OSS has always worked.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
I'm running 20.04 on a server, I've fooled around with it way more than is worth the effort though. I'm currently battling grub being a utter garbage fire of failure and misery because for whatever reason, installing zsysd (the hip cool new snapshot, boot manager) caused some loving weird as poo poo change and now my system wants to look for hwmatch during boot and refuses to not look for loving hwmatch... ugh

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'm still running ubuntu 14.04 on my home server!

Over the past few months I've been working on moving all the services I've got running on there into containers for ease of re-deployment after I flatten and reinstall.

When I do a flatten and reinstall with whatever the latest LTS is ZFS should automatically recognize all my pools, right? Looks like the version of ZoL I'm running is 0.6.5.11-1

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

Thermopyle posted:

Over the past few months I've been working on moving all the services I've got running on there into containers for ease of re-deployment after I flatten and reinstall.

When I do a flatten and reinstall with whatever the latest LTS is ZFS should automatically recognize all my pools, right? Looks like the version of ZoL I'm running is 0.6.5.11-1

I just migrated from centOS to ubuntu because better ZFS support, I just exported on one end and imported on the other end. It *should* work for you..

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I always forget to export my pools before I reinstall. All it means is I have to force-import them the first time around.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

The only time a pool WILL NOT be compatible is if the version you're trying to import is:
Newer than the one supported by your OS (which is rare but does happen despite the fact that OpenZFS has switched to feature flags.
When you're using one of the alpha features like encryption was(?) and raidz expansion is, but these are rare cases and nobody running this software should be doing so without the explicit knowledge of the risks involved.
When a pool has a feature-flag enabled which your version doesn't support (which sucks as some Linux distributions enable accounting by default, since accounting is one of the things that is explicitly not covered by POSIX, SUS, or any other standard and is different for basically every OS family that OpenZFS supports or will support).

It's not even that ZFSOnLinux is responsible for the change done by the Linux distributions, because they only enable it for some tests as they need to test the feature, not because it's required unless you're doing something like NFS with Kerberos (and ZFSOnLinux doesn't support NFSv4 ACLs, so...).

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 12, 2019

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Hi, I'm back.

disaster pastor posted:

Stupid newbie alert!

I'm looking at finally setting up a home NAS as a holiday project this year, primarily for Plex. Last year the project was upgrading my PC, so I have a bunch of spare parts I'd like to start with.

Case: Fractal Design Define Silent (six HDD bays)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M Pro4 LGA 1150
CPU: Core i5-4570
RAM: gave it away, but 8GB of DDR3 is pretty cheap

My PC currently has a 500GB SSD and two 4TB HDDs. My plan is to get a 1TB M.2 and 2TB 2.5" SSD for my PC to eliminate the spinning platters, and then use the HDDs in this (and possibly the 500GB SSD as the boot drive) and move all my media over.

Roughly speaking, what should I be looking at doing here? Is the hardware old enough that I should just start fresh instead? Are the 4TB drives so small that they're not worth using? Is migrating a Plex server a pain?

Was looking at the old system in preparation and realized that the PSU is seven years old and was out of warranty after five, so I'm also looking to replace it. Is there any specific recommendation for PSUs that will be running a bunch of HDDs but not need a whole bunch of graphics power or anything? (If it lets me use shucked drives without taping the pins, that's a big plus, too; I'd be willing to pay a little extra for that convenience.)

Thanks!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

disaster pastor posted:

Hi, I'm back.

Was looking at the old system in preparation and realized that the PSU is seven years old and was out of warranty after five, so I'm also looking to replace it. Is there any specific recommendation for PSUs that will be running a bunch of HDDs but not need a whole bunch of graphics power or anything? (If it lets me use shucked drives without taping the pins, that's a big plus, too; I'd be willing to pay a little extra for that convenience.)

Thanks!

I just built a very similar LGA 1155 based system for a plex server. Ended up with a 256gb ssd cache drive, Unraid runs off a USB drive, 2 shucked 8TB WD HDDs and 2TB old maxtor drive I had kicking around.

I bought a 550W 80+ Gold rated PSU for it during black friday sales for around $45-50. It was non-modular but with colored wires so I could potentially cut them if needed for the shucked drives.

I ended up just cutting some scotch tape with a box cutter and slipping it right over the pins on the drive itself then plugging it in and it worked great. The whole thing took maybe 2 minutes so I'd suggest not spending more money to avoid that. It was incredibly easy. Just leave your drives out or in a way you can access them pretty easy and put them back into place once plugged in and the system powered down.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Scotch tape works okay, but generally you'd want to be using kapton tape for taping pins.

Using quality molex>sata adapters also works, making your own custom PSU cables also works (check with a multimeter before plugging in hard drives)

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Buff Hardback posted:

Scotch tape works okay, but generally you'd want to be using kapton tape for taping pins.

I don't know how it compares to kapton tape, but I have a bunch of this stuff from taping up bike wheels, and a small sliver of it works great for making off the 3.3v pins. It also doesn't leave behind residue.

https://www.amazon.com/72-Yds-Coating-Masking-Temperature/dp/B00CKGIBYE

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

CopperHound posted:

I don't know how it compares to kapton tape, but I have a bunch of this stuff from taping up bike wheels, and a small sliver of it works great for making off the 3.3v pins. It also doesn't leave behind residue.

https://www.amazon.com/72-Yds-Coating-Masking-Temperature/dp/B00CKGIBYE

it looks like kapton tape is pretty much comparable to this stuff

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

it doesn't really matter what you tape it with

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

DrDork posted:

Not to turn this into a OSS conversation, but I do get his point that companies are out there making Real Money off his work, yet return nothing in kind to the community, and he's tired of it. At least it sounds like he's allowing individuals to continue to get access if they ask nice?

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think the last line of his kofi post is a bit telling as well - he didn't feel appreciated enough by non-corporate users either.

At the end of the day, dude isn’t doing anything more than taking other people’s work and repackaging it to make it easy for others to install on his favorite linux. The necessity for people to have this role in the linux ecosystem can be seen as a grave risk to the sustainability of OSS in and of itself. How much volunteer and paid work is getting wasted shuffling the deck chairs just so everyone can have their special snowflake favorite distro? (A lot.) How much damage is done by fracturing everything so that deploying an application on Linux is fraught with a billion compatibility issues, on what is nominally one platform? (A lot, that’s why so many coders toss up their hands and let distros and volunteers do the packaging for them. Too much work to do it themselves and also develop new features, fix bugs, write docs, etc.)

Contrast with writing an app for macOS or Windows. Do you need to ask Apple or Microsoft to package it for you? No, that’s absurd. There’s profoundly less deployment work to do on these platforms. Hell, Apple defines and supports a path where you as an application developer don’t even need to write an installer. Your users just have to unzip and drag your app wherever they want it to go, and an uninstall is just dragging it to the trash.

This guy is a common pattern in the FOSS world. Starts packaging things, starts thinking they’re hot poo poo because they always get lots of praise from users who are happy to have these packages, starts to feel like they should get some compensation, doesn’t understand that they’re really helping perpetuate a problem in the Linux world and ideally if anyone got paid it would be the authors of the code they’re packaging.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

14TB WD Easystore for $209.99 at Best Buy and their ebay store, also google shopping (which has a new user discount):
https://slickdeals.net/f/13721480-14tb-wd-easystore-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-209-99-free-shipping?src=frontpage

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-14tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/6390390.p
https://www.ebay.com/itm/WD-Easystore-14TB-External-USB-3-0-Hard-Drive-Black/324004558033
https://www.google.com/shopping/product/8318367337244505133

quote:

Note, new Google Shopping Customers can use promo code HOLIDAY19 to save 20% off their first order (up to $20 off).

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I literally just today got my order for 5x 12TB drives delivered for their $180 each sale. It's fukken crazy that 14TB models are already out. I'm upgrading to 12TB from 2TB drives, which the entire drive size was the difference in size from the 12 to 14TB. Crazy.

Then again I think I read about 100TB SSDs out going for 15k or something? Sheeeeet.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

jeeves posted:

I literally just today got my order for 5x 12TB drives delivered for their $180 each sale. It's fukken crazy that 14TB models are already out. I'm upgrading to 12TB from 2TB drives, which the entire drive size was the difference in size from the 12 to 14TB. Crazy.

Then again I think I read about 100TB SSDs out going for 15k or something? Sheeeeet.

Hell when I first cut the cord I ordered 6 4 TB drives. They’re all still running. The new drives cost about what those 4 did back then. I think it was 6 years ago.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Was there a guide to shucking earlier in the thread? Is that what all the taping connectors chat was about? 14TB is tempting.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Was there a guide to shucking earlier in the thread? Is that what all the taping connectors chat was about? 14TB is tempting.

tl;didn't write one

buy easystore or mybook, rip it open (if you live in the US they have to honor warranty even if you take it out of the shell) then connect. Most PSUs aren't server SATA specification. SATA forum decided to make a super neat feature for SATA drives in servers where that if they get the 3.3v pin held high (which is completely unused prior to them deciding to do this), they do a full reboot which would be exactly like unplugging and replugging the cables assuming nothing physically broke. For whatever reason, WD uses the server specced white label Reds, which listen on the 3.3v pins for power being applied. Problem is, all PSUs that aren't up to date on that SATA spec will always be sending 3.3v over those pins, so they are always power cycling.

Taping works well enough, but generally the easier way is to remove 3.3v from the cables somehow. Using a safe (i cannot emphasize this enough) Molex to SATA power adapter will get rid of 3.3v, as Molex doesn't have a 3.3v rail. You can also use extension cables designed for expanding a single SATA power connector into 4, and just rip out the 3.3v wire and also solve the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6VCQ64DkfM

The NPC
Nov 21, 2010

I'm looking to finally finish building a new home server, which I started last year.

What I have:
- case
- 4x 4TB WD Reds
- LSI SAS 9211-8i + 2 breakout cables

Looking at some X570 boards, for the possibility of vfio/gpu passthrough. My question is: if I pick up a motherboard with e.g. 8x SATA ports + M.2, will the LSI HBA provide any benefit or am I better saving a PCI x16 slot and using the on-board SATA ports? I think for drives all i need are the 4 Reds for zfs, a SSD or something for a cache drive, and NVME for boot.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Buff Hardback posted:

tl;didn't write one

buy easystore or mybook, rip it open (if you live in the US they have to honor warranty even if you take it out of the shell) then connect. Most PSUs aren't server SATA specification. SATA forum decided to make a super neat feature for SATA drives in servers where that if they get the 3.3v pin held high (which is completely unused prior to them deciding to do this), they do a full reboot which would be exactly like unplugging and replugging the cables assuming nothing physically broke. For whatever reason, WD uses the server specced white label Reds, which listen on the 3.3v pins for power being applied. Problem is, all PSUs that aren't up to date on that SATA spec will always be sending 3.3v over those pins, so they are always power cycling.

Taping works well enough, but generally the easier way is to remove 3.3v from the cables somehow. Using a safe (i cannot emphasize this enough) Molex to SATA power adapter will get rid of 3.3v, as Molex doesn't have a 3.3v rail. You can also use extension cables designed for expanding a single SATA power connector into 4, and just rip out the 3.3v wire and also solve the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6VCQ64DkfM

Awesome, thanks!

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
If you have time, order some cheapo plastic electronic opening tools on eBay. Not necessarily needed but can make life easier.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Heners_UK posted:

If you have time, order some cheapo plastic electronic opening tools on eBay. Not necessarily needed but can make life easier.

Honestly everyone who does computers as any sort of a hobby should have a good set of plastic spudgers anyhow, so yeah, if you don't already, get you some! iFixit has a nice set that won't break on the first use, though they're also not $10 like the packs you'll find on eBay.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

DrDork posted:

Honestly everyone who does computers as any sort of a hobby should have a good set of plastic spudgers anyhow, so yeah, if you don't already, get you some! iFixit has a nice set that won't break on the first use, though they're also not $10 like the packs you'll find on eBay.

Guitar picks work great.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
A flathead screwdriver and pent up aggression is 3 for 3 for me.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I've used old credit cards for uh... 13 of these guys now as well as some plastic spudgers I had for removing plastic parts off of cars that were like $3 included with a cheapo detail kit. I prefer the spudgers overall

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

DrDork posted:

not $10 like the packs you'll find on eBay.

Just ordered 5 for $1

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Donated $20. Get well, Lowtax.
Fun Shoe

redeyes posted:

Guitar picks work great.

Can't quote this hard enough. I bought a 100 pack of various size guitar picks from Amazon for like $8, and they're great for thin, strong casing wedges.

If you cut them into isoceles triangles, they're also perfect for cleaning out charging ports and such with something strong enough to do the job, but totally non-conductive and a bit flexible.

I think I've used up 20 out of that 100 pack in two years.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Or you can use an old gift/credit card and be like gently caress this poo poo is barely sturdy enough to work.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Oh dear, the 14TB externals are $200 now. Must not buy any more things!
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-14tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/6390390.p?skuId=6390390

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Uggghhh every time those deals get posted I’m super tempted. I “only” have 9TB capacity available.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
drat that's cheap!

Some quick eBay looking and math:

$2700 - Supermicro 36 Bay Server 2x E5-2690v3 256 GB DDR4 (eBay)
$5970 - 30x 14TB WD Easystore @ $199 each (Best Buy)
$450 - 2x 2TB NVME SSD Cache
$129 - unRAID Pro license

Total:
392 TB usable: $9249 ($23.59/TB)

That would be beasty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
For babbys first NAS, long term photo storage and backup with RAID (in addition to an off-site backup) and a Plex server I've promised my parents they will have access to remotely, is a Synology 1019+ an alright solution filled with some shucked drives from this Best Buy sale?