Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
lmao what object lesson have Canadians ever learned from any other country exactly? We didn't learn poo poo from watching Obama scam everyone and help destroy his country and we're not learning poo poo watching Trump do even worse mostly the same things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Yeah pharmacare is such an obvious thing (not to mention dental and vision), it just needs to be sorted out asap. It is unfortunately one of those things a lot of "middle class" people don't think about too hard because their work covers it.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Dreylad posted:

also insulin should just be covered full stop in ever province, good god

But Banting's original vision was so inferior, clearly big pharma deserves millions from slightly adjusting the original patent instead of just offering it for the original 1$ the it was sold for.

:thermidor:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Dreylad posted:

if things go bad for the UK watching them lose the NHS ought to be a powerful object lesson to the end game of slowly privatizing and selling off our public institutions that's been going on since the late 70s, but it'd take some serious effort to make the majority of the people in this country see it that way.

That won't happen, our Tories will just start trumpeting about how all the either countries are privatising their health services, why are we stuck in the past?? And inevitably the press won't call them on it, and some ever larger fraction of Canadians will believe it.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Trapick posted:

Yeah pharmacare is such an obvious thing (not to mention dental and vision), it just needs to be sorted out asap. It is unfortunately one of those things a lot of "middle class" people don't think about too hard because their work covers it.

You have no idea how accurate you are. Ive been working retail pharmacy for almost 5 years now and the number of people who take their plans for granted (ironically mostly boomers who retire early and oops now you need to cover the 62-65 age gap before OHIP kicks in) is terrifying.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Dreylad posted:

if things go bad for the UK watching them lose the NHS ought to be a powerful object lesson to the end game of slowly privatizing and selling off our public institutions that's been going on since the late 70s, but it'd take some serious effort to make the majority of the people in this country see it that way.

But think of how much more ~*~*~efficient~*~*~ health care will be without government bureaucracy in the way! :suicide:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Bring on the privatized death panels

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

You have no idea how accurate you are. Ive been working retail pharmacy for almost 5 years now and the number of people who take their plans for granted (ironically mostly boomers who retire early and oops now you need to cover the 62-65 age gap before OHIP kicks in) is terrifying.
Oh, I believe it. I fall into this too, I have a good job with 100% coverage for me and my wife's prescriptions (nothing too fancy), it's super easy to tune it out. The fact that people have to scrounge together money for loving insulin and antidepressants is appalling. Dental too - my four year old asked the other day "does everybody go to the dentist like I do?" and I had to stop myself and say "well not everyone can afford it...".

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

blatman posted:

thanks obama

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Trapick posted:

It was definitely an eye opener having to sort out insurance. My company drug card didn't want to go through, so I was told the price for some eye drops if I wanted them then. I don't remember the exact price but it was a "haha gently caress that, I'm going to make sure my company's paying for it."

I can definitely see people who don't have any insurance hiccups being totally blind to how pricey that stuff can be.

On the subject of vision, I can see that being a bit easier to get (some) people on board for? My company insurance barely covers it, and I know my dad had similar gripes about how much he had to pay out of pocket.

It seems so mind blowing with how many people need glasses to function on a day to day basis that it isn't covered.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Oh yeah we have universal healthcare unless you count your eyes or mouth as part of your body and also unless you need any medication to stay healthy, wait what do you mean that doesn't sound universal

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

blatman posted:

The U.S. has had them for years. There's a story of a socialized medicine crusader in the 90s. He and his wife worked for an HMO as gatekeepers - reviewing claims and finding reasons to deny them. He and his wife made the company millions. Then his wife came down with terminal cancer. A clever gatekeeper in her HMO found a way to deny her claim so she died without coverage. Her husband had a Road to Damascus moment, quit his job, and spent the rest of his life lobbying for universal coverage.

Knowing that story made Sarah Palin extra hilarious. :thermidor:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://twitter.com/brianlilley/status/1205164756144971776?s=20

https://twitter.com/MercedesGlobal/status/1205166473104314369?s=20

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
:toot:

Who’s on the short list of likely replacements now?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

:lol: What an idiot.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Entropic posted:

Next up, Doug Ford announces Alberta speech tour

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Eat poo poo apple cheeks

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I wonder if Maxie will try to reassert himself.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I really thought it was Scheer’s election to lose even before the blackface scandal but not beating Trudeau through all that was really an amazing testament to his unlikeability. Itl’m surprised it took this long for him to get forced out.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Entropic posted:

I really thought it was Scheer’s election to lose even before the blackface scandal but not beating Trudeau through all that was really an amazing testament to his unlikeability. Itl’m surprised it took this long for him to get forced out.

According to Global, he only got forced out for stealing money, the only real and true crime.

quote:

Global News has learned Scheer will announce imminently that he will be stepping down from the party leadership after losing the last election.

His resignation comes as a direct result of new revelations that he was using Conservative Party money to pay for his children’s private schooling.

Senior Conservatives say the expenditures were made without the knowledge or approval of the Conservative fund board, including the chair of the board.

There are also calls for the party president to resign over the schooling expenses.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6288286/andrew-scheer-resignation/

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Hahaha

He was using CPC money to pay for his kids private school

What a loving idiot

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

CHARGE HIM WITH EMBEZZLEMENT YOU COWARDS

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

remember it's only illegal when libs do it

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I wonder how Brad Wall's French is coming along

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Think how close Canada came to making an embezzler the PM.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Scheer is incredible in his stupidity. How the gently caress did he expect the CPC to not do something about that?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Entropic posted:

Pinterest Mom posted:

Caroline Mulroney, Kenney, Gérard Deltell, people are talking about Bernard Lord (lol), Rona Ambrose, Alain Reyes, Vincenzo Guzzo,

...Patrick Brown.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

:ssh: There's a 90% chance Scheer wasn't embezzling money, this was all on the up-and-up with formal party structures and they're just leaking it now/pretending to be upset to embarrass him. There's a long and proud tradition in this country of party leaders legally getting a top-up to their salaries from party HQ.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

SilverMike posted:

Scheer is incredible in his stupidity. How the gently caress did he expect the CPC to not do something about that?

If he won, even a minority, no way they come out with it.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pinterest Mom posted:

:ssh: There's a 90% chance Scheer wasn't embezzling money, this was all on the up-and-up with formal party structures and they're just leaking it now/pretending to be upset to embarrass him. There's a long and proud tradition in this country of party leaders legally getting a top-up to their salaries from party HQ.

This. Few extra people thrown under the bus to force the issue.

I wonder if this means they've drafted Harper.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
https://twitter.com/AndrewScheer/status/1205170451091095553

"Putting my family first" is a curious term to use, given the context

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Somewhere, Doug Ford and Jason Kenney have sudden, unexplained erections.

Jason Kenney is very concerned with the sensation.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
This is the best birthday gift the Conservatives could have provided to me, thank you Andy Scheer

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Wonder who takes up the mantle of conservative demagogue

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They drag Ambrose back up to be interim leader.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Guess they should have picked Bernier when they had the chance.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P-F1OFKz-Q

Exclusive preview of Andrew Scheer upon his return to Conservative HQ.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Goodbye Scheer! I'll miss you!

Remember the only good enemy is a weak one.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Welp, guess I was wrong about him resigning after all.

HOWEVER, I don't see why anyone would be happy about this. He's totally going to be replaced by an even worse, farther-right candidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lol the least surprising backstab