Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Cloud Atlas is a beautiful mess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Speed Racer fuckin owns, Sense8 was cool as hell, and every Matrix movie is good. Jupiter Ascending is also great if you realize that if The Matrix was a wish fulfillment action movie for anime nerd boys, then JA is a wish fulfillment action movie for anime nerd girls.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Joining the Speed Racer rules crew, it just was a complete mismatch to the zeitgeist of the time, what with having bright colors and a narrative with a minimum of moodily lit industrial interiors.

(Obviously they had a couple but they were car factories!)

e: Also yeah Jupiter Ascendant was so beat for beat YA fiction I was waiting to see the author's name they adapted and found out, oh no, they just did it in their own right.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TheManWithNoName posted:

Is Ezra still the move Flash? How is that project even still a thing?

There was a whole thing about how he was going to write a script with Grant Morrison earlier this year as a final push for him to star in it but last I heard it got rejected by WB.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

There was a whole thing about how he was going to write a script with Grant Morrison earlier this year as a final push for him to star in it but last I heard it got rejected by WB.

I wish the cowards at WB would just hand the reigns of the DCCU to Morrison and let him go hog wild

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Madkal posted:

Cloud Atlas is a beautiful mess
The Yellowface Pleasuredroid scenes are hard to watch. I know the gimmick was same actors remixed through time but that part was... something else.

The ultimate message, about people changing across generations where even a craven traitor can find redemption, was kind of beautiful.

Honestly haven't had a reaction to the scope of ideas like that since I saw The Fountain in theatres.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Speed Racer is really amazing, and also the last Wachowski movie that doesn't trip over its own feet. Cloud Atlas is interesting and well made and well acted, but the yellow-face and white-face (but thankfully not black-face) and cross-dressing are so weird and off-putting that it smacked me right out of the movie every time it happened; racism aside, the makeup prosthetics technology just wasn't there yet. Jupiter Ascending looks like the perfect Wachowski movie on paper; an anti-corporate sci-fi fairytale in space. But the script sucks, the dialogue and chemistry between characters is Lucasian, even the actors giving interesting performances aren't giving interesting performances that make sense together, and while the action scenes are really technically proficient, like the giant-robo fight from Matrix 3, it doesn't matter how good it looks if you don't give a poo poo about these characters or why they're doing what they're doing. Sean Bean's character leaves the movie for a while and when he comes back I was legitimately shocked because his character is such a nothing-ball and he's played by Sean Bean so I just assumed without evidence that he died.

The big Chicago air-battle is kind of the peak example of the problem with the Wachowskis: it took six months for Kunis and Tatum to shoot that one scene, because they decided to set it at sunset and so they only had 15-20 minutes of usable shooting time available for it each day. It added an enormous amount of time and effort to the production in order to achieve an effect that probably nobody who didn't watch a making of DVD would ever really notice; technically brilliant, but also probably not really worth doing.

Sense8 is very well shot and ambitious and trans-positive but it also really, really, really drags during almost all of the middle run of the first season; the problem is that the 8 stories aren't all equally interesting and they also aren't equally distributed through the run, so some characters wrap their plots up rather quickly and then we just kind of have to check in on them from time to time to remind you that they still exist.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I like Jupiter Ascending because I totally relate to that experience of having an existing body of work that people look at one way, then transitioning and just wanting to create something completely and unapologetically femme. Slim Goodbody and Nessus hit the nail in the head-- it's such a girl movie and even if its super clunky and goofy it radiates joy and vitality in a way that really appeals to me in the same way that Speed Racer does.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Sense8 is very well shot and ambitious and trans-positive but it also really, really, really drags during almost all of the middle run of the first season; the problem is that the 8 stories aren't all equally interesting and they also aren't equally distributed through the run, so some characters wrap their plots up rather quickly and then we just kind of have to check in on them from time to time to remind you that they still exist.

Which felt like it included the main two (for lack of a better term), leaving one sitting there and wondering when we were going to get back to, I dunno, Sun.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Anyone that says Speed Racer rules is a cultured and brilliant individual. The Grand Prix / final race visuals paired with Michael Giacchino's score elevated it to one of the most enjoyable movie theater experiences ever. Seeing that whole barrage of color and sound on the big screen was so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTXFknz4J88

loving awesome

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Speed Racer is a rare example of a truly flawless movie.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Speed Racer is really amazing, and also the last Wachowski movie that doesn't trip over its own feet. Cloud Atlas is interesting and well made and well acted, but the yellow-face and white-face (but thankfully not black-face) and cross-dressing are so weird and off-putting that it smacked me right out of the movie every time it happened; racism aside, the makeup prosthetics technology just wasn't there yet. Jupiter Ascending looks like the perfect Wachowski movie on paper; an anti-corporate sci-fi fairytale in space. But the script sucks, the dialogue and chemistry between characters is Lucasian, even the actors giving interesting performances aren't giving interesting performances that make sense together, and while the action scenes are really technically proficient, like the giant-robo fight from Matrix 3, it doesn't matter how good it looks if you don't give a poo poo about these characters or why they're doing what they're doing. Sean Bean's character leaves the movie for a while and when he comes back I was legitimately shocked because his character is such a nothing-ball and he's played by Sean Bean so I just assumed without evidence that he died.

The big Chicago air-battle is kind of the peak example of the problem with the Wachowskis: it took six months for Kunis and Tatum to shoot that one scene, because they decided to set it at sunset and so they only had 15-20 minutes of usable shooting time available for it each day. It added an enormous amount of time and effort to the production in order to achieve an effect that probably nobody who didn't watch a making of DVD would ever really notice; technically brilliant, but also probably not really worth doing.

I mostly agree with this but think that the problems started in (at least) matrix 3 and permeate every movie since, including Speed Racer. There's a real issue with pacing and overlingering on various shots/effects, and a lot of the CG that isn't in high speed looks dated in a bad way, sorta like the AOTC Yoda vs dooku fight where on a modern screen it really shows how lifeless everything around the subjects is. Similar to the giant robot fight in Matrix there are scenes where it just feels like the wachowskis want to show everything they shot regardless if we already saw it before or if it adds nothing. A lot of this revolves around the kid/chimp duo where they're trying to replicate the old cartoon but wind up just breaking scenes instead of creating a feel, telling instead of trusting the audience to understand what they're being shown. Races were outstanding, though.

The little I watched of Sense8 came across as them either actually going backwards in talent or trying to make a show to appeal to teens who haven't seen a lot of movies and haven't grown tired of certain visuals+moist dildos.

I find the love/hate dichotomy on Cloud Atlas weird because I thought it was fine, not great, expected better. I read the book first, though, and thought the movie message was much less interesting than the book theme, so that didn't help.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I need to see Speed Racer, I have a friend who adores it too and so it comes up more often in our discussions than one would think. I don't think I've seen anything from the Wachowski's besides the Matrix movies, actually.

Objectively I realise the first Matrix is better, but Reloaded is my favourite.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Good news! Matrix 4 is set before 2 and 3.

Actually from what I can tell it might be a sequel set after Revolution.

SlimGoodbody posted:

I wish the cowards at WB would just hand the reigns of the DCCU to Morrison and let him go hog wild

This is would definitely make the DCEU development feel less chaotic since Morrison absolutely loves Man of Steel instead of seeing it as a problem that needs fixing.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Vandar posted:

Speed Racer is a rare example of a truly flawless movie.

I still reflexively say "Get that weak poo poo off my track" when doing good at video games regardless of whether or not a track is involved

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The MSJ posted:

Actually from what I can tell it might be a sequel set after Revolution.

Good. I don’t even know how you’d do a prequel. Either it’s one of the failed simulations and you know how it ends, or it’s just the crew from the first movie doing missions and stuff without Neo which sounds fun, but doesn’t really have any narrative weight

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I should say that I loved Speed Racer. Saw it in the cinema, and was one of the first films I got on Blu Ray. It's a joyful mess but great.
When my friends and I went to see it one guy (Ice Cream) left to go to the Bathroom when they were in the hotel.
Then Ninja's come in and John Goodman kicks there rear end.
Ice Cream just came back into the cinema after this happened and said to us "Was that a Ninja?"

Then Christina Ricci's character on screen says "Was that a Ninja?"

Then John Goodman answered everyone with "more like a Non-ja."

I love that film so much.

Sense8: Has a load of problems. It's really pretty. But almost too pretty.
Entire episodes just grind to a halt to do a 5 minute sequence where all the characters dance at a Pride parade or watch a sunset. It becomes like footage they put on in an Electronics store for display TV's to show how good they are.
Or it was just the cast going on extended holidays (thus why it was so expensive.)

And it's also saddled with some very JMS type writing.
Then it decides to pander to it's audience right up to ending with everyone having an orgy and the final shot being a cum-covered dildo.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

SlimGoodbody posted:

Speed Racer fuckin owns, Sense8 was cool as hell, and every Matrix movie is good. Jupiter Ascending is also great if you realize that if The Matrix was a wish fulfillment action movie for anime nerd boys, then JA is a wish fulfillment action movie for anime nerd girls.

Anime nerd girls want to fall off buildings a whole lot?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It's more the part where you're saved by your extremely handsome but emotionally reserved (yet not perfectly so) cyborg angel dog boyfriend who is also gorgeous.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Nessus posted:

It's more the part where you're saved by your extremely handsome but emotionally reserved (yet not perfectly so) cyborg angel dog boyfriend who is also gorgeous.

Who is also genetically programmed to obey you and be loyal to you

And the main hero ends up becoming impossibly rich at the end of the story.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Zachack posted:

I find the love/hate dichotomy on Cloud Atlas weird because I thought it was fine, not great, expected better. I read the book first, though, and thought the movie message was much less interesting than the book theme, so that didn't help.

Yeah, same. The resurrection stuff is in the book but it's not the focus and the film loses a lot of the fun stylistic and structural stuff that made the text interesting.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Zachack posted:

I've only read the book, how does the film change things?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

The Wachowskis fascinate me because they’re extremely talented and they have a very distinctive personal take on things which almost never clicks with wider audiences, except for that one time when everything went totally perfect. And it only clicked with me one other time (speed racer) and I couldn’t tell you why.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Anyone that says Speed Racer rules is a cultured and brilliant individual. The Grand Prix / final race visuals paired with Michael Giacchino's score elevated it to one of the most enjoyable movie theater experiences ever. Seeing that whole barrage of color and sound on the big screen was so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTXFknz4J88

loving awesome

What a garbage movie

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lotta weird opinions in this thread all of a sudden.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Maybe if you hate joy it's garbage, it just came out at the wrong time when everyone was clamoring for dark poo poo. The last time I watched Speed Racer the final fight had me physically on my feet I was so enthralled.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Lotta weird opinions in this thread all of a sudden.

the post above yours is more a belch than an opinion

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Speed Racer is maybe the most faithful adaptation of a cartoon/anime ever made.

So if you liked the show even a little bit then you love the movie. I've loved the show since it started airing on Mtv in the 90s so I love the movie as well(aside from the safety balls I guess)

Edit: Oh agreed, and I'm basically the audience it was pandering so hard to. I appreciated the sexy representation but then that was it really vvvvvvvvvv

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 12, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shageletic posted:

the post above yours is more a belch than an opinion

Well, Speed Racer is goofy fun but jesus tapdancing christ Sense8 is fuckin bad.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Speed Racer loving rules and anyone who thinks it doesn't is just wrong.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Arist posted:

Maybe if you hate joy it's garbage, it just came out at the wrong time when everyone was clamoring for dark poo poo. The last time I watched Speed Racer the final fight had me physically on my feet I was so enthralled.

Why did I say "fight," jesus, it's a race

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Speed Racer is 5 hours long and feels 15 hours long

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Speed Racer is great, Cloud Atlas is deeply flawed but very watchable and very ambitious, Jupiter Ascending is godawful unless you enjoy Sean Bean saying with deadly seriousness that he is part honeybee.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Hell yeah baby!!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Sean Bean saying with deadly seriousness that he is part honeybee.

Hell yeah baby!!!!

Arist posted:

Why did I say "fight," jesus, it's a race

Scott Pilgrim has aged very poorly as both a comic and a movie but I liked the idea Brian Lee O'Malley float somewhere about realizing that the musical set pieces in musicals served the same structural role as the fight scenes in action movies. They move the plot forward in very similar ways, they slow the plot down in similar ways, and they use similar methods to heighten and play with the audiences' emotions. Speed Racer (and I guess other car movies, from like, The Italian Job to The Fast and the Furious) chases and races work in a similar way, so yeah, I can totally understand the mix-up! I think they're scratching the same itch to want to see conflict resolved in a spectacle of beauty and choreography.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 12, 2019

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

edit: oops, poo poo. The new mod buttons shifted quote/edit one space over and I got too riled up about Sean Bean.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
What? Scott pilgrim (at least, the comic) is great and if anything more relevant nowadays than ever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Archyduchess posted:

Scott Pilgrim has aged very poorly as both a comic and a movie

What in the actual gently caress.

DOWN WITH THE NEW MOD

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wow never saw a mod burn out so fast before.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Archyduchess posted:

Scott Pilgrim has aged very poorly as both a comic and a movie

I love Scott Pilgrim but I recognize that they needed to lean a pinch more into "Scott's not a hero"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Me being completely annihilated ITT:

I have not read Scott Pilgrim since the colorized editions came out and I haven't watched it in two or three years so maybe I need to give him a second chance. I loved the comics as they came out-- the second volume came out one day before I moved away to college-- and reread them during a lovely period of my life so yeah, who knows. This'll be one of my Winter Break projects.