Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Scottoiler injector decided to liberate itself from its mount at some point in the last week and I only just noticed. Thankfully it didn't get caught up in the chain... but only because the plastic got welded to the exhaust can :tizzy:

Guess I'm spending tomorrow trying to bodge it back on with zipties and wishes. Or at least tying it up out of the way until I can properly replace it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Slavvy posted:

More likely to be chain adjustment or bad steering head bearings, your forks would have to be pretty wildly twisted to make the bike pull one way.

The chain should be fine (I'm pretty neurotic about getting both sides even), I'm wondering if it was something I did when I put on heli bars. I can loosen up the bolts and play with it quick enough anyway, assuming it stops raining.

In other news, I forgot when I listened to Waze last night that Baxster St in Los Angeles is one of the steepest streets in LA, with a reported 32% grade. I'm pretty comfortable on hills due to where I live, but it just started to pour as I hit this last night and I did not enjoy going down it. It doesn't even straighten out at the bottom, it's a T and you have to make an immediate left or right onto a tiny street.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Oooooh boy it's that time again, time to get hosed off with bureaucracy.

This thing came into my possession with a lapsed registration, what this means it's that it needs to be recertified for the road as if it were freshly imported, but with a lower bar to clear and less admin because it's been registered in NZ before. I have done this a number of times successfully, the bike just needs to be roadworthy, have good tyres, lights etc and not show evidence of being crashed. These inspections are done by government approved agents who don't repair vehicles, just inspect them.

I drop the bike off, a day later get told it failed on two things: stop light not working and forks. I knew the stoplight switch was dicky so I went there and swapped a new one on, then asked what the problem with the forks are, and this is where the cuntyness begins.

Evidently the forks are 'too soft'. I asked the inspector what this means and he said it dives too easily. I asked compared to what, he said the other bikes (bikes I could see there: gsx1000f, drz400, two scooters). I asked them to demonstrate how they test the fork; they do it by having the biggest bastard there duckwalk the bike at jogging speed then abruptly smash the brake on, which in turn hammers the forks against the stop. This, they insisted, meant the dust seals were hitting the triple clamp and that was a fail. I pointed out that that's literally impossible because the fork has a bottom out buffer inside and showed that if 3 people compress the fork gradually you can clearly see the seal never touches.

Fine that's not the problem, but it's still too soft. But how? Why? And in what way is this a safety issue? At this point he mumbled something about '...but on a car...' but I didn't catch the rest because all I could think about at that point was pulverising his smug boomer face with a hammer and rejoicing in the fountain of blood and brains. He insisted that it would somehow cause someone to crash when they're braking even though I pointed out that a. forks are loving supposed to dive that's how they make grip and b. the day before, I had taken that bike on a lengthy ride and was able to get the rear wheel off the ground so braking grip or stability are not issues.

Nope not good enough, he wants a CYA letter from the manufacturer.

1. Hyosung no longer have a NZ dealer
2. If they did and I asked them for that, they'd laugh and ask me for some of what I'm taking

Explained the above, got told they at least need a letter from someone 'reputable'. Is there a list of reputable bike repairers to refer to? Nope just 'someone we know' and the example he gave was a guy renowned in the industry for being the absolute worst. I pointed out I'm a mechanic with a successful repair business and know wtf I'm talking about - nope.

The best part? The inspector doing the inspection doesn't have a bike license or ride bikes, he makes his unqualified underling ride them! In the end I gave up and said I'd 'fix' it, came back the next day, put some 15wt in the forks in their carpark and got the pass. The handling of the bike is now completely ruined, thanks NZTA.

Do the French have a word for that sensation when you're standing there insisting 2+2=4 and every other smug gently caress in the room is smirking telling you it's actually 5?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Oooooh boy it's that time again, time to get hosed off with bureaucracy.

This thing came into my possession with a lapsed registration, what this means it's that it needs to be recertified for the road as if it were freshly imported, but with a lower bar to clear and less admin because it's been registered in NZ before. I have done this a number of times successfully, the bike just needs to be roadworthy, have good tyres, lights etc and not show evidence of being crashed. These inspections are done by government approved agents who don't repair vehicles, just inspect them.

I drop the bike off, a day later get told it failed on two things: stop light not working and forks. I knew the stoplight switch was dicky so I went there and swapped a new one on, then asked what the problem with the forks are, and this is where the cuntyness begins.

Evidently the forks are 'too soft'. I asked the inspector what this means and he said it dives too easily. I asked compared to what, he said the other bikes (bikes I could see there: gsx1000f, drz400, two scooters). I asked them to demonstrate how they test the fork; they do it by having the biggest bastard there duckwalk the bike at jogging speed then abruptly smash the brake on, which in turn hammers the forks against the stop. This, they insisted, meant the dust seals were hitting the triple clamp and that was a fail. I pointed out that that's literally impossible because the fork has a bottom out buffer inside and showed that if 3 people compress the fork gradually you can clearly see the seal never touches.

Fine that's not the problem, but it's still too soft. But how? Why? And in what way is this a safety issue? At this point he mumbled something about '...but on a car...' but I didn't catch the rest because all I could think about at that point was pulverising his smug boomer face with a hammer and rejoicing in the fountain of blood and brains. He insisted that it would somehow cause someone to crash when they're braking even though I pointed out that a. forks are loving supposed to dive that's how they make grip and b. the day before, I had taken that bike on a lengthy ride and was able to get the rear wheel off the ground so braking grip or stability are not issues.

Nope not good enough, he wants a CYA letter from the manufacturer.

1. Hyosung no longer have a NZ dealer
2. If they did and I asked them for that, they'd laugh and ask me for some of what I'm taking

Explained the above, got told they at least need a letter from someone 'reputable'. Is there a list of reputable bike repairers to refer to? Nope just 'someone we know' and the example he gave was a guy renowned in the industry for being the absolute worst. I pointed out I'm a mechanic with a successful repair business and know wtf I'm talking about - nope.

The best part? The inspector doing the inspection doesn't have a bike license or ride bikes, he makes his unqualified underling ride them! In the end I gave up and said I'd 'fix' it, came back the next day, put some 15wt in the forks in their carpark and got the pass. The handling of the bike is now completely ruined, thanks NZTA.

Do the French have a word for that sensation when you're standing there insisting 2+2=4 and every other smug gently caress in the room is smirking telling you it's actually 5?

This is the sort of stupid poo poo you should take this idiot to small claims court for.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

gently caress all of that.

Console yourself by pretending that they think you're a Nazi and they're loving with you on purpose?

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

Fifty Three posted:

gently caress all of that.

Console yourself by pretending that they think you're a Nazi and they're loving with you on purpose?

That looks an awful lot like the Ukrainian nazi Azov battalion symbol on the tank so that may be exactly whats going on

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

That looks an awful lot like the Ukrainian nazi Azov battalion symbol on the tank so that may be exactly whats going on
Yeah, it's some sort of Nazi poo poo, he talked about it in another thread (he is not the person who had that painted on there). There's a Death's Head or something on the other side.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

This is the sort of stupid poo poo you should take this idiot to small claims court for.

Lol 'winning a tribunal dispute with a warrant inspector' is right up there with nice south Africans and reasonable policemen in the pantheon of poo poo that can't exist. $20 of fork oil and a few grey hairs are easier to stomach.

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

The unit sigils are for the infamous SS division Totenkopf aka the death's head so yeah. I'd take them off if I could.

Also nz native gang culture has a really weird relationship with Nazi symbolism that would properly destroy a few brains in DnD, there's a good chance a mongrel mob guy owned the bike and had that stuff done; the mob are traditionally an ethnic Maori gang who adopted the seig heil, swastika and other Nazi iconography purely as a way of getting under the authorities' skin - they wanted to offend rich white people and it was the most offensive thing they could think of!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

A lot of punks in the 80s did the same thing, despite not being fascists / racists

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Sounds a lot like when I had a dispute with the UK ski instructor body when they insisted I needed a first aid qualification

I'm a loving a+e nurse

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I don’t see the issue just fill the forks with cement

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Razzled posted:

I don’t see the issue just fill the forks with cement

This reminds me of the time a guy tried talke me into fixing his forks because he did the seals but now the forks are totally jammed rigid??

To his credit, everything was put together in the right order, he just didn't know you aren't meant to fill the oil right to the brim.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

This reminds me of the time a guy tried talke me into fixing his forks because he did the seals but now the forks are totally jammed rigid??

To his credit, everything was put together in the right order, he just didn't know you aren't meant to fill the oil right to the brim.

Those are some tight seals if they didn’t squirt. Also it’s surprising he didn’t wreck.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Those are some tight seals if they didn’t squirt. Also it’s surprising he didn’t wreck.

Never got them on the bike, just tried pumping them once and realised he'd hosed up evidently.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Fifty Three posted:

Console yourself by pretending that they think you're a Nazi
I see this has been kinda covered already but I think you guys got the division wrong
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2nd_SS_Panzer_Division_Das_Reich

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I see this has been kinda covered already but I think you guys got the division wrong

Oh right so it's got das reich on the right flank and totenkopf on the left, just needs a fuhrer in the middle and we can call it Barbarossa.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I wish you could go back in time and put a big duct tape "X" over each symbol to see if they were taking the piss on you just because of them.

Edit: Put the duct tape on anyway

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I guess I'm not up on my Nazi imagery and this is going to sound really dumb, but I just saw that and thought it must be the Hyosung logo

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Hyosung usually just print HYOSUNG on the tank, if they have a logo I've never seen it on any of their bikes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They have a logo, it's like a wheel combined with a Honda like wing thingy and is so low-effort I can't even be bothered googling it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

so low-effort I can't even be bothered googling it.
That was my impression of the Hyosung design process, from having worked on like two of them

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

MomJeans420 posted:

I guess I'm not up on my Nazi imagery and this is going to sound really dumb, but I just saw that and thought it must be the Hyosung logo

If it looks Runic, there’s a good chance it’s fascist. I think the shield with the notch out of the corner is some kind of fascist/white pride thing too.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That was my impression of the Hyosung design process, from having worked on like two of them

They're getting better, in the early days they were Triumph circa 1991 levels but now they're approaching Suzuki grade.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Was riding to work this morning, second time out with the new exhaust.

Hear a loud pop (a fair bit louder than an exhaust popping off), and then see and hear some metal skit across the road.

Pull over, check what got spat out into the road... just a bent locker key, not even mine. Checked the bike (well, the exhaust) to see if anything had gone wrong at a coincidental time but looks fine.

Oddly, had me more panicked than the two close calls earlier on my way into work.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I'd double check your tires when you leave, but a loud pop would be a pretty apparent puncture.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

They're getting better, in the early days they were Triumph circa 1991 levels but now they're approaching Suzuki grade.

That’s a big jump to go from making the worst bikes on the planet to the best, but I haven’t personally seen a hyosung bike so :iiam:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Come on now

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
suzuki didnt make my fastest bike, my best guitar and my stereo amps tho

im trying to think of more ways that i can get additional Yamaha logos in my household, trust

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

get into drums!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Or pianos, start a piano collection.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
They got those really nice and quiet inverter generators now, too. been thinkin.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I’m watching Greasy Hands Preachers and uuughhhhhh they’re all so insufferable. I like Shinya Kimura and Roland Sands ok but gaaawwwdd this movie. Guess I haven’t had a good dose of stupid hipster motorcycle bullshit in a minute.

Why aren’t there any more good motorcycle documentaries?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

I’m watching Greasy Hands Preachers and uuughhhhhh they’re all so insufferable. I like Shinya Kimura and Roland Sands ok but gaaawwwdd this movie. Guess I haven’t had a good dose of stupid hipster motorcycle bullshit in a minute.

Why aren’t there any more good motorcycle documentaries?

have you seen long way round?

<ducks>

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Lyndon Poskitt’s Dakar special?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
What was that find yourself bullshit trip with ready made camp sites and artisan cheese?

Fake edit: ah found it https://vimeo.com/55420992 thanks http://hipsterbikevideos.com/collective-douche-chills/

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I saw Long Way Round and mostly enjoyed it except for Charlie being a baby about everything and Ewan crying about missing his wife all the time.

I’ve seen all of Poskitt’s stuff, subscribe to his Patreon, can’t get enough of it fast enough. He’s assembled a team to do the Africa Eco Race and plans to upload 20 minute videos every day, so that should be cool when it starts.

Lol the fuckin Wilderness Collective. I think about that thing kind of often and chuckle every time.

I wish I’d counted the number of soft focus slow motion shots of a fountain of sparks from an angle grinder in Greasy Hands Preachers.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 18, 2019

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Psychomania? I'd say we're about 3 years early to it being a documentary.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm still obscurely delighted that they made it almost all the way around the world and then their only motorcycle accidents were in Calgary

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

I don't like Shinya's bikes as bikes although they are kind of amazing as metal sculptures or something... but I saw him and his dudes and dudettes on the Cannonball and I have to say he is doing some of the most pro- level cosplay I've seen. Like wearing 1915 clothes while riding his 1915 Indian and doing 1915 repairs in every parking lot he stops at. And I think he's been in every cannonball they've run so far. As a bike dude I'm very impressed. One of his dudes even crashed and went to the hospital last time because they were wearing a half helmet (not period appropriate but more than a full face?) And riding on clincher tires that went flat. Simultaneously awful ideas but impressive for their dedication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I don't like Shinya's bikes as bikes although they are kind of amazing as metal sculptures or something... but I saw him and his dudes and dudettes on the Cannonball and I have to say he is doing some of the most pro- level cosplay I've seen. Like wearing 1915 clothes while riding his 1915 Indian and doing 1915 repairs in every parking lot he stops at. And I think he's been in every cannonball they've run so far. As a bike dude I'm very impressed. One of his dudes even crashed and went to the hospital last time because they were wearing a half helmet (not period appropriate but more than a full face?) And riding on clincher tires that went flat. Simultaneously awful ideas but impressive for their dedication.

I was wondering about his involvement with Cannonball, saw it on his van. It could be rad to see a doc about his Cannonball runs.

Speaking of which, I also just watched White Knuckle, the movie about a few guys doing the Cannonball. It was interesting but needed so much more. All the talk about the engines was awesome and just left me wanting more. Especially about the dude who scored a tractor rod off some random farmer and drilled it out so he could finish.