Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm gonna have to play through it again with this in mind, but does it really tell you that outright in-game? Because I never noticed, and defaulted to just rolling around because it felt like it was doing the same thing. But I'm a dumb at games so I may have missed obvious stuff.

It's only specific red attacks. It won't protect you from Force powers or projectiles, but most melee attacks you can just iframe through. Some of them like those big things on Dathomir who do the big slam you may also still get hit but I think that's because there's a shockwave component to the attack?

Vs almost all the troopers you can use it, though, and it's drat fun to see the dual wield assholes try to do that jump attack and you casually sidestep it and then heavy triangle slam them in their face. The move always gives you exactly enough force power to do that heavy overhead and I don't think that's an accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Rascyc posted:

correct, I didn't learn this until I went to look up a video on how to get the respective trophy

I guess that explains why I've never gotten it to trigger.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Any other PC users' mouse stop working in the main menu and skills tree after today's update?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I’m really enjoying taking my time in this game. There is definitely some jank but it hasn’t hindered my enjoyment much. I think f9r their first 3rd person action game this is solid and I have confidence that Respawn will only improve on it.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Dillbag posted:

Any other PC users' mouse stop working in the main menu and skills tree after today's update?

Yeah, it isn't working on those screens for me either.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Is there an "perfect attack timing" mechanic in this game? I am terrible a fighting/souls games so I don't know if there is a term for this. I have seen it in fighters/soulsian games before, where hitting the attack button at the correct times during a combo (often the tutorial will say "hit attack right as your previous attack lands") will grant you some kind of a buff (faster animation, more damage, iframes, or whatever).

I can upload a video of me getting this to happen, but I can't do it reliably. It applies the same motion blur and sound effect as the "delay attack" ability that you unlock in your single and your double blade skill tree. But it does NOT do the thrust, it just does the normal 3-hit combo but with the cool blur/sfx. (I'm not talking about the double blade delay infinite combo either, because I haven't unlocked it yet). Since I am bad though, I can't actually pull this off on an enemy to see if it does more damage or anything. It doesn't seem any faster.

Hidden mechanic or bug? Or is it one of those unspoken "souls game" things that you just know from playing lots of these?

Rad Valtar posted:

I’m really enjoying taking my time in this game. There is definitely some jank but it hasn’t hindered my enjoyment much. I think f9r their first 3rd person action game this is solid and I have confidence that Respawn will only improve on it.

Is there any word on a sequel? I don't know much about this game (going in blind worked out great for me) and heard something something singeplayer setpiece narrative games aren't profitable any more, last of its kind, etc. etc

I'm not even saying this needs a sequel, I have a feeling I'll be burned out after 100%ing my first game ever because lmao i need every lightsaber part and i will suck EVERY stardick in sight for one

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Dec 12, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
In noted action-game developer PLATINUM games, the awesome dodge move that makes the game playable and is what the entire combat system revolves around is usually the first and cheapest move that a player unlocks, not the last available move... I wonder why they do it that way?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Bust Rodd posted:

In noted action-game developer PLATINUM games, the awesome dodge move that makes the game playable and is what the entire combat system revolves around is usually the first and cheapest move that a player unlocks, not the last available move... I wonder why they do it that way?

Because they awkwardly and unsuccessfully tried copying Sekiro's fighting style instead of platinum's

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Bust Rodd posted:

You can always use it. It just doesn’t grant force boost and slowdown until you get that skill.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
A thing I think most Star Wars games have missed since Dark Forces 2 is the gigantic areas. I loved that huge fueling station where you had to climb aboard a freighter ship that would later crash, or the imperial tower that took like half a minute to fall down off. I hope a sequel to Fallen Order brings back something like that, and a space station/city world. I kept hoping to go back to Bracca.

Also, while the Mantis was cool, it also constrains you to that one way of getting between places. Having to hitch a ride on that train in the beginning was cool.

Game's good, though.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Dogen posted:

You can always use it. It just doesn’t grant force boost and slowdown until you get that skill.

This.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Oh ok, so the only things that makes it good aren’t available until after you’ve beaten 90% of the game, in a game with no NG+, that makes sense sure

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It's the I frames that make it good

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The slow down is really cool though, and it's a great indicator that you're Doing It Right. It really should be part of the core gameplay in the sequel, and you should have to weigh it versus parrying whenever an enemy attacks you.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

PunkBoy posted:

It's fun to look for the thematic parallels between this and KOTOR II. "Jedi dogma is kind of messed up" and "What does it mean to fall?" stood out for me. Might be some others I might have missed.

I thought that Malikos' arguments agains the Jedi Order were rock-solid. His description of the Jedi Order as dogmatic, ineffectual, and living in the past is 100% spot on to how they are portrayed in the prequels.

Kal's counterpoint of "actually, Jedi good" on the other hand..

If Malikos wasn't a shirtless Australian murder-hobo with trophies from people he's murdered hanging from his belt, I'd sign up for his new Jedi Order in a second.

On the flipside, the Second Sister was also a phenomenally fantastic villain. Not convincing, well spoken, and methodical like Malikos, but just a broken, abused person, lashing out at the people she felt had failed her. When Vader appears behind her, and she starts sobbing uncontrollably, paralyzed with fear really drove home the point that she wasn't a bad person, but a broken victim.

Big Angry Pig Lady was also good - Like the Second Sister, she was a broken, abused person, but she seemed to revel in it - While Trilla emerged from her torture-brainwashing neurotic, terrified, and unstable, she embraced it completely and reveled in it.

The Dark Jedi in this game are some of my favorites in any Star Wars media - Dark Jedi tend to be just cackling assholes with british accents, and their motivations and personalities are rarely more than "I'm a huge rear end in a top hat", while every one of them in this game was a very human (not always literally) person who was a victim of circumstance and necessity.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I mean that other one you mention was also a victim of circumstance and necessity too.

From a certain point of view.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Bust Rodd posted:

Oh ok, so the only things that makes it good aren’t available until after you’ve beaten 90% of the game, in a game with no NG+, that makes sense sure

Uh the move itself is good the other stuff is just icing.

The game is bad at explaining it, though.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Geisladisk posted:

I thought that Malikos' arguments agains the Jedi Order were rock-solid. His description of the Jedi Order as dogmatic, ineffectual, and living in the past is 100% spot on to how they are portrayed in the prequels.

Kal's counterpoint of "actually, Jedi good" on the other hand..

Yeah, the Jedi sucked, but Cal's counterpoint was less "Jedi good" and more "why don't we try to learn from our mistakes and rebuild the Jedi better than before, as opposed to taking our shirts off and joining murder cults?"

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

I don't know how far I am through the game, but I wanted to share some spoiler-free thoughts that maybe someone else will argue with me about on the internet.

* This game is really fun and Star Wars is fun and using a lightsaber is fun
* The game got really difficult for me the first time I went to a certain planet and I've found myself toggling the difficulty level ever since
* I can't figure out how to time the parry right, and anytime I get into a fight where it's more than 2v1, especially on that one planet, I have a really hard time
* I may have turned the difficulty to Story mode for a boss fight, because I didn't feel like trying too hard. Video games are supposed to be fun.

Anyway, I hope they make a second because I really like this game and BD-1!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Stumbled onto a glitch where I managed to turn my lightsaber on just as a cutscene was starting, so now Cal has an activated lightsaber hanging off his belt

This game is great

Also, depending on which style your saber was in before a cutscene plays, when Cal turns it on, it'll be either single or dual-bladed, which makes the scene where Merrin is holding it amusing

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

ZentraediElite posted:

I don't know how far I am through the game, but I wanted to share some spoiler-free thoughts that maybe someone else will argue with me about on the internet.

YOU'RE WRONG!!!!

ZentraediElite posted:

* I may have turned the difficulty to Story mode for a boss fight, because I didn't feel like trying too hard. Video games are supposed to be fun.

j/k I did this too at times. I mentioned it upthread but I appreciate that they made an actual story mode where you'd have to pretty much try to lose, but it also seems like a pretty big jump between that and the next step up. I could beat some bosses but it was a slog going through a dozen times trying to do so. I'm looking forward to replaying the game knowing more about the mechanics, using the matrix dodge and focusing on extra stim cans earlier on.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The funny thing is that the bosses, aside from the optional ones, were by far the easiest fights in the game for me. I literally didn't die once during a boss fight but I died to crowds of regular enemies several times

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

precision posted:

The funny thing is that the bosses, aside from the optional ones, were by far the easiest fights in the game for me. I literally didn't die once during a boss fight but I died to crowds of regular enemies several times

I found myself breezing through certain enemy fights but on occasion would get trapped against a wall or whiff on a few parries and then you wind up being toast real quick. I've never played a Sekiro/Dark Souls, but I've heard how those games aren't very forgiving. I don't know if that's what they're trying to model after, but I find the exploration and environmental puzzles more fun than the "hey here's ten stormstroopers with shields and lightsaber staffs".

To that extent the game seems a little lost on what it's personality is. The "dungeons" with ball puzzles are fun, but you encounter them and then they're gone. I realize that Star Wars may not lend itself to going to different planets to find a "castle" with a "dungeon" (like Zelda), but a better balance there would have been fun.

One thing I'm reluctant to say (after playing Spider-Man) was that I'm surprised by the lack of sneaky missions -- that seems like such a common mechanic these days that would have been easily used.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Dogen posted:

drat where the hell was that ever mentioned, I didn't even know about that neutral stick dodge until the end of the game and figured the whole thing was locked behind the upgrade. I had to learn different timings and deal with the shoddy side step into roll mechanic which seemed to get the job done, and there was even that Kick attack which seemed to kind of urge you to work with side steps.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Boz0r posted:

A thing I think most Star Wars games have missed since Dark Forces 2 is the gigantic areas. I loved that huge fueling station where you had to climb aboard a freighter ship that would later crash, or the imperial tower that took like half a minute to fall down off. I hope a sequel to Fallen Order brings back something like that, and a space station/city world. I kept hoping to go back to Bracca.

It might be nostalgia, but I've felt this is something games in general lost when the first gen xbox appeared and suddenly the cross-platform ram budget shrank considerably and got fixed to console ram specs thereafter (yes, Halo is an exception).

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

precision posted:

I’m having an easy time with the bosses too but bounty hunters keep loving me up, maybe because they like to ambush and it throws me off?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rad Valtar posted:

I’m having an easy time with the bosses too but bounty hunters keep loving me up, maybe because they like to ambush and it throws me off?

Ohhhh yeah if we're counting those fights, they're for sure the hardest bosses.

The final boss was literally the easiest fight in the game for me, though it was super enjoyable. In a way, the easiness was cool because I felt like Cal really had "powered up"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

precision posted:

The final boss was literally the easiest fight in the game for me, though it was super enjoyable. In a way, the easiness was cool because I felt like Cal really had "powered up"

Yeah, my ease with the last couple of bosses was mostly that I'd learned how to play. My first fight with the Second Sister was constantly attacking to wear her block down because I thought that was the only way to do damage to her and the block gauge recharged if left alone. In later fights I learned when in attack animations they couldn't block so doge-and-counter became a much easier strategy. By the time of the final boss I'd learned that force push also staggered guys so they couldn't block, and the fight was completely on my own terms. Just shoving people around and chugging stims for more power instead of being on the back foot slamming them to stay alive. My Cal definitely ended the game with a crippling stim addiction.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Spergatory posted:

Yeah, the Jedi sucked, but Cal's counterpoint was less "Jedi good" and more "why don't we try to learn from our mistakes and rebuild the Jedi better than before, as opposed to taking our shirts off and joining murder cults?"

its less murder cult and more him going full heart of darkness kurtz on a planet teeming that got hosed to poo poo because of dark side infighting and than took over the surviving natives with brute cruelty

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SnipeShow posted:

Disney World was still using Star Wars before Star Wars land. They had the saber building stations at Hollywood Studios and Downtown Disney two years ago, at which point double sabers were an option. The only major change to the building stations that I'm aware of is an improvement on the droids.

Weren't those plastic sabers that you build? The new thing is all metal parts.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

ZentraediElite posted:

My playthrough has been Story mode because I've never played/got into stuff like Uncharted or Sekiro/Dark Souls and found early game pretty tedious with random monsters popping up out of the ground behind my character and lots of deaths from falling or failing to slide into a rope or wall. Starting from last meditation point can be pretty annoying. The next difficulty step is quite a large gap from 'taking effort to actually die' to 'die because you failed a block/jump x times'. I'm sure it'll be more fun once I can start getting familiar with maps and enemy attacks though.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
The last boss fight was awesome. I think the addition of force powers to the combat and especially when facing another force user makes it feel like you are reacting to the enemy but also forcing the enemy to react to you, whereas in Dark Souls you learn attack patterns, dodge them, get some hits in, repeat.

Playing through the game again and just having a real fun time. The combat in this game is not difficult to master. Certainly simpler than Sekiro with way more forgiving dodge and parry mechanics. If you're not playing on Jedi Grandmaster you legit have like an entire second to parry an attack

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I think the addition of force powers to the combat and especially when facing another force user makes it feel like you are reacting to the enemy but also forcing the enemy to react to you, whereas in Dark Souls you learn attack patterns, dodge them, get some hits in, repeat.

Souls games might just not be for me so maybe I'm biased, but I totally feel this. What turned me off about DS games is the repetitive nature of the "figure out pattern, dodge and hit, and hope you got all your timing right on this run." Whereas fighting/dueling here feels a little more dynamic, more back-and-forth, and certainly more cinematic. Sometimes the rhythm of a fight feels drat near choreographed for the screen.

Of course... maybe I'm just seeing all this through rose kyber crystal glasses and it's just a soulsian game with reflecting ranged attacks as a core mechanic--all sprinkled with Star War(tm) dust--but whew if it doesn't make you feel like a GOD drat JEDI PSTEW SHEW WOM ZEUHR ZHOM ZHOW BING BANG BIG BOOM POW waaaaa <jedi pose>

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The parrying in this game feels terrible though, not enough feedback and you can't cancel attacks to parry like in sekiro

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I will think Fallen Order 2 will learn a lot from Sekiro. It will definitely have tighter swordfighting.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I'm reminded of Darksiders 3, which tried to change up the combat style initially and made that scar same mistake. They had to patch in a "Classic" combat mode which let you dodge and whatnot to cancel attacks.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Feels fine to me, but I never played Sekiro. I'm guessing that's probably a common-ish sentiment; it feels weird if you compare it to arguably the best sword fighting game in history, but it feels fine on its own and works for what it needs to. Plus, it feels very "Jedi" to wait for an opponent to strike before responding.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I'm actually shocked at how talented Respawn are. 3rd person action adventure off of the back of nothing but 1st person shooters, with two different types of suits breathing down your neck. This game could have benefited from another few months in the oven but no doubt they were under insane time pressure to release before Ep. 9.

Good on you Respawn

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

There's a stuck comment ITT, will this one release it for all to see?
e: :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Here's a potentially useful exploit; your Force powers don't use meter outside of combat. The tell is the meter itself; you can only see it when an enemy has noticed you and is moving to engage. Fortunately for you, the range of your Force powers is greater than most enemies' aggro range, so you can actually use the Force to kill a lot of them for free if you play it right.