Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThanosWasRight
May 12, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I didn't realize Rorschach was based on a real comic book hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They all are. DC acquired the rights to a bunch of old Charleton comics characters in the early 80's (none of which you've heard of besides maybe Blue Beetle) and Moore wanted to use them, but DC balked and so he made characters based on them instead.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zaphod42 posted:

You can choose things without free will.

A story you tell yourself.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

zoux posted:

Oh for sure, I get why it's frustrating, and it's that very frustration that shows the distance between Dr. M. and mortals, and why he is so alien to us and alienated from us. If he were perceiving time linearly and just lying about it, I think that would be a much more disappointing and less interesting character.

Well you want to get really fancy pants about your funny papers: What if our Horny Blue Doctor is more than a metaphor for the comic medium. What if he picked up a set of pencils, pen, and paper and started writing his own Thrilling Tales of Atomic Science!!!! The comic book we pick up isn't written by this Alan Moore character but has a byline of Jon Osterman. We look up from the page and we are surrounded by several million Watchmen comics each one with a subtle variation from the last. We round a stack and find a Dr M composing yet another take on Earth 1959 and forward. Once he's done he takes it for a spin by hopping Gumby-like into it and experiencing his new story first-hand. He pops back out, makes some notes, and starts crafting the next.

I think Doc knows how the story ends because he wrote it. He also isn't interested in altering it because what would be the point? He can account for that in the next volume he pens. It's not like alternate universes are an alien concept in comic books.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

rich thick and creamy posted:

Well you want to get really fancy pants about your funny papers: What if our Horny Blue Doctor is more than a metaphor for the comic medium. What if he picked up a set of pencils, pen, and paper and started writing his own Thrilling Tales of Atomic Science!!!! The comic book we pick up isn't written by this Alan Moore character but has a byline of Jon Osterman. We look up from the page and we are surrounded by several million Watchmen comics each one with a subtle variation from the last. We round a stack and find a Dr M composing yet another take on Earth 1959 and forward. Once he's done he takes it for a spin by hopping Gumby-like into it and experiencing his new story first-hand. He pops back out, makes some notes, and starts crafting the next.

I think Doc knows how the story ends because he wrote it. He also isn't interested in altering it because what would be the point? He can account for that in the next volume he pens. It's not like alternate universes are an alien concept in comic books.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Dang it that episode could have been cut to five minutes. Angela is a boring character whenever she is sitting down being confused. It works when she has something to do or investigate, or be Sister Night, but otherwise c’mon.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

Much like the TV show, I too am a work of fan fiction.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

zoux posted:

Who amongst us didn't start dating an omniscient nigh-omnipotent 35 year old when they were HS juniors

a/k/a the Jerry Seinfeld story

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It was a fantastic episode, but I still wonder what it would have been like if the whole series had been about Sister Night and Looking Glass and so forth rather than "Clash of the Titans part 2"

As much as I love Jeremy Irons.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

precision posted:

A story you tell yourself.

No, that's literally the definition of the terms. You're thinking about agency. You can't make choices without agency. That is literally the definition of agency, which you stubbornly refuse to google and educate yourself on.

quote:

Agency
In very general terms, an agent is a being with the capacity to act, and ‘agency’ denotes the exercise or manifestation of this capacity. The philosophy of action provides us with a standard conception and a standard theory of action. The former construes action in terms of intentionality, the latter explains the intentionality of action in terms of causation by the agent’s mental states and events. From this, we obtain a standard conception and a standard theory of agency. There are alternative conceptions of agency, and it has been argued that the standard theory fails to capture agency (or distinctively human agency). Further, it seems that genuine agency can be exhibited by beings that are not capable of intentional action, and it has been argued that agency can and should be explained without reference to causally efficacious mental states and events.

Debates about the nature of agency have flourished over the past few decades in philosophy and in other areas of research (including psychology, cognitive neuroscience, social science, and anthropology). In philosophy, the nature of agency is an important issue in the philosophy of mind, the philosophy of psychology, the debates on free will and moral responsibility

Free will is some nonsense concept that never existed in real life. We're all robots. We don't need free will to make choices.

Neural Networks are unthinking, unfeeling machines but they make choices and learn over time. Are you arguing computers don't exist? Or are you arguing that computers can't calculate choices?

Agh this conversation is infuriating because you refuse to engage with the proper terms so everything you say is backwards and everything you read you interpret the wrong way, so I'm just going to have to ignore you.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 12, 2019

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

TheCenturion posted:

I wonder if they made the Cyclops hand-signal, which seems to be 'middle finger pressed to thumb, index finger up,' stupid and obvious so it hopefully wouldn't be picked up and used by actual racist shitheads?

It's the White Power symbol that 4chan meme'd into existence months ago: https://www.adl.org/education/references/hate-symbols/okay-hand-gesture

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

The Question has a pretty major role in the animated series Justice League Unlimited, and you can really see the resemblance to Rorschach there.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zaphod42 posted:

Agh this conversation is infuriating because you refuse to engage with the proper terms so everything you say is backwards and everything you read you interpret the wrong way, so I'm just going to have to ignore you.

Now you understand how the rest of us feel every time you post

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Is there any other literature that explores the "Man out of time" nature of our blue buddy's condition? Some sci-fi stuff in The Culture kinda goes there a bit. It just seems so horrible. Every worst pain you've had/most pleasurable moment/saddest moment/happiest moment all happening at the same time. It seems like either the dullest or most hellish experience i can imagine.

ThanosWasRight
May 12, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Let's see if there is any sense to the difference between "Agency" and "Free Will."

I suspect not and the person here constant harping on here is participating in a form of masturbatory philosophical grammar naziism to make himself feel better about having ooh such a big brainnnn.

Agency

According to Wikipedia, Agency in Sociology

quote:

In social science, agency is defined as the capacity of individuals to act independently and to make their own free choices. By contrast, structure is those factors of influence (such as social class, religion, gender, ethnicity, ability, customs, etc.) that determine or limit an agent and their decisions.[1] The influences from structure and agency are debated—it is unclear to what extent a person's actions are constrained by social systems.

According to Wikipedia, Agency in Philosophy

quote:

Agency is the capacity of an actor to act in a given environment. The capacity to act does not at first imply a specific moral dimension to the ability to make the choice to act, and moral agency is therefore a distinct concept.

According to the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy

quote:

In very general terms, an agent is a being with the capacity to act, and ‘agency’ denotes the exercise or manifestation of this capacity.

According to Webster's Dictionary

quote:

agency noun
agen·​cy | \ ˈā-jən(t)-sē
2: the capacity, condition, or state of acting or of exerting power : OPERATION

Free Will

According to Wikipedia

quote:

Free will is the ability to choose between different possible courses of action unimpeded.

According to the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy

quote:

As should be clear from this short discussion of the history of the idea of free will, free will has traditionally been conceived of as a kind of power to control one’s choices and actions.

According to Webster's Dictionary

quote:

freewill adjective
free·​will | \ ˈfrē-ˌwil \

1: voluntary choice or decision
2: freedom of humans to make choices that are not determined by prior causes or by divine intervention

So I think it is clear when we are talking about free will it is the power to control your choices and actions and when we are talking about agency we are talking about the capacity to act.

When we are talking about Free Will in this thread we are talking about the power to control our choices and actions. Not whether are not we are capable of making choices or actions.

And if you ask me you can not have one without the other. It is completely impossible. If you are unable to control choice and actions, then you are not capable of making them. It is that simple. The only other alternative is you are literally a loving vegetable, and in that case, like with the case of our annoying friend here, the best option is to pull the loving plug.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fragmented posted:

Is there any other literature that explores the "Man out of time" nature of our blue buddy's condition? Some sci-fi stuff in The Culture kinda goes there a bit. It just seems so horrible. Every worst pain you've had/most pleasurable moment/saddest moment/happiest moment all happening at the same time. It seems like either the dullest or most hellish experience i can imagine.

Someone else in the thread mentioned the Tralfamadorians from Vonnegut, who have that going on.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My god man

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fragmented posted:

The aliens in Arrival experience time that way. Leads to some interesting plot points.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

precision posted:

Now you understand how the rest of us feel every time you post

Except I had someone literally respond "this is correct" to each of my effort posts, unlike any garbage you've ever dumped in here

Mandrel posted:

this is the correct explanation

Mandrel posted:

this is also correct

Kiss my rear end, Precision.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ThanosWasRight posted:

And if you ask me you can not have one without the other. It is completely impossible. If you are unable to control choice and actions, then you are not capable of making them. It is that simple.

Right. There seem to me to be only three possibilities:

1. Everything obeys chemical and physical law. All choice is illusion. Even my choice to post this is an illusion and I am literally unable to override that.

2. Some kind of soul exists. This is ridiculous and weird, but the very existence of the universe is weird; no explanation for existence, well, existing, makes much sense.

3. Quantum outcomes. Not everything is entirely determined because there is what we perceive as a randomness.

https://youtu.be/IYRB6qtqXz4

https://youtu.be/4arOKZvuZK4

precision fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 12, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ThanosWasRight posted:

Let's see if there is any sense to the difference between "Agency" and "Free Will."

I suspect not and the person here constant harping on here is participating in a form of masturbatory philosophical grammar naziism to make himself feel better about having ooh such a big brainnnn.

Lmao, are you loving serious?

"lets see if these two major terms in philosophy aren't actually the same thing and the entire field of philosophy is just making poo poo up? Because I have a funny feeling they're the same thing and I'm smarter than literally everybody else on the planet"

Goddamn Thanos, the irony here is killing me

https://www.oxfordscholarship.com/view/10.1093/acprof:oso/9780199685516.001.0001/acprof-9780199685516

Read a book and educate yourself and your big brainnnn

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zaphod42 posted:

Kiss my rear end, Precision.

It's okay, I know you had to post that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

precision posted:

It's okay, I know you had to post that.

:smuggo: Its okay, I knew you had to get the last word in

Jesus christ what is wrong with you?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zaphod42 posted:

Read a book and educate yourself and your big brainnnn

Do you really think this tone helps your argument?

Edit: Okay, sorry. It's just funny that we don't even disagree. The only difference between us is that you're certain of a belief, and I am way too narrow of a viewpoint to be certain of anything so big

E2: Take some acid and educate your tiny human psyche!

precision fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 12, 2019

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Fragmented posted:

I already mentioned it, but Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five presents almost the exact same thing, except the character that's "unstuck in time" doesn't really have any control over when he ends up. One minute he's in a meat locker during the firebombing of Dresden, the next he's getting killed by a guy with a laser gun standing in his front doorway, and the next he's seeing his kid being born or whatever. But the alien race that supposedly did this to him exists in the fourth dimension like Manhattan says he does, and they experience time in pretty much the same way.

In one of Vonnegut's later books, Timequake, earth basically rewinds 10 years and restarts, and everyone lives out their exact same actions while also remembering having done them before. It's a different way of getting at a very similar idea.

Someone else mentioned Dune, which...yeah. A guy takes a mega-hit of space acid, starts seeing through all possible futures, and just never comes down from it. Then his son does the same thing except he turns himself into a giant worm that rules the galaxy for 1,000 years. Dune is just so unabashedly insane that I love it.

I want to say Heinlen had a few stabs at this kind of fiction, too, but I haven't read much of his stuff since I was a teenager. Did Stranger in a Strange Land or Number of the Beast ever get into this kind of thing?

It's also been a while since I read Flatland, but didn't it try to speculate about a 4th-dimensional perspective?

e: added some spoiler tags.

AtraMorS fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 12, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

precision posted:

Do you really think this tone helps your argument?

I didn't start with the lovely tone, man. If you wanna have a reasonable discussion of the issues I'm all for it.

I'm not gonna just sit here and be berated though, if you give it then you should be able to take it.

When I said "You guys are trying to give me an aneurysm!" that was tongue in cheek and self-deprecating. I was trying to be jovial about this.

precision posted:

Edit: Okay, sorry. It's just funny that we don't even disagree. The only difference between us is that you're certain of a belief, and I am way too narrow of a viewpoint to be certain of anything so big

I'm really not. If you'd be fair and talk to me like a human being then maybe you'd find that out. But its impossible to have a conversation like this, so you're jumping to conclusions about things I haven't even really said.

AtraMorS posted:

It's also been a while since I read Flatland, but didn't it try to speculate about a 4th-dimensional perspective?

Yeah we talked about flatland a lot a few pages ago, along with all the other works you just mentioned.

Wish people would read the thread so we didn't go in circles so much :/ for complex issues like this, just drive by posting doesn't work so well.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 12, 2019

hillaryous clinton
May 11, 2003

super dynamic
Taco Defender

rich thick and creamy posted:

An elaborate way of saying that Dr. Manhattan is the answer to the thread title.

Edit: And Alan Moore is the Doc Manhattan to the in-comic DM :hydrogen:

hillaryous clinton fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 12, 2019

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah we talked about flatland a lot a few pages ago, along with all the other works you just mentioned.

Wish people would read the thread so we didn't go in circles so much :/ for complex issues like this, just drive by posting doesn't work so well.
D'oh. I fell way behind after the latest episode and didn't catch up before posting. Sorry, thread.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Zaphod, dude, I'm just giving you poo poo. This has happened several times, and not just with me, you're way too insecure or worked up or something to just chill out and post. I can't speak for anyone else but I assure you that i am the last person in the world who would purposefully be mean over the internet. I'm a goddamn hippie!

But your misunderstandings of what other people say just pile up so fast that sometimes it's hard to make the choice to NOT rib you about it. You so easily and quickly default to "I understand you perfectly but YOU don't understand ME!" that it's hard to resist sometimes.

I believe I have a soul and have choices and I believe I'm choosing to be nice right now. You may believe this isn't a choice. That's okay; you don't have to live in my head, I do.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Well, there's only one episode left to see if the producers are bold enough to take advantage of their DC connections and give us a Gotham-Watchmen crossover. I want to see Balloon Man make a bad guy float away! GIVE US OUR HAM!!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I don't know about agency vs. free will but learning how synapses work sometime back really has me of the opinion that free will may very well not exist. But just like weather, there might just be too many variables for us to figure out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Whether or not it exists we'll never know, but it doesn’t matter because it feels like we have it and that's good enough

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

Whether or not it exists we'll never know, but it doesn’t matter because it feels like we have it and that's good enough

Exactly!

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Just to address the question of why Manhattan doesn’t deal with the ray gun.

What is stopping him from noticing the ray gun guy is that’s the moment he falls in love with Angela. He’s looking at her with awe because she just risked her life for him despite him telling her she can’t save him. And he gets zapped because he’s distracted. Manhattan is essentially just a human being, walking through life making choices like anybody else. He just has a 10,000 ft view on events that we don’t have. So if we pretend he’s just a regular dude for a second, he made the “choice” in that moment not to look for more Kavalry guys and to look into Angela’s eyes instead. A very human moment.

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 12, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

precision posted:

Zaphod, dude, I'm just giving you poo poo. This has happened several times, and not just with me, you're way too insecure or worked up or something to just chill out and post. I can't speak for anyone else but I assure you that i am the last person in the world who would purposefully be mean over the internet. I'm a goddamn hippie!

But your misunderstandings of what other people say just pile up so fast that sometimes it's hard to make the choice to NOT rib you about it. You so easily and quickly default to "I understand you perfectly but YOU don't understand ME!" that it's hard to resist sometimes.

I believe I have a soul and have choices and I believe I'm choosing to be nice right now. You may believe this isn't a choice. That's okay; you don't have to live in my head, I do.

Precision, dude, I'm just giving you poo poo. This happens to all kinds of goons on all kinds of threads because people argue past each other and text does not convey all the emotion of what a person is saying, and it is easy to read something a way they didn't intend and come to the wrong impression. I can't speak for everybody else but I assure you that I am the last person in the world who would be purposefully mean over the internet. I'm a goddamn hippie! I live in the hippie capitol of the world.

But your misunderstandings of what I said just pile up so fast that sometimes it's hard to make the choice NOT to rib you about it. You so easily and quickly default to "You are always wrong!" that its hard to resist sometimes.

I believe you can make choices even if you don't have a soul. I believe that those choices, devoid of a soul, are calculated by your brain and physics and you would always make the same decision in the same moment under the same circumstances, but life will never present you with the exact same circumstances so its effectively irrelevant. The whole point of humans is that we CAN learn. You don't need a soul to learn. If you believe in a soul that's cool, but I don't, and we can make choices either way, is an important point to make.

E: your stance of "you need to chill, because its not okay to rib people, and I would never do that, but sometimes I have to do that" isn't consistent and is in fact hypocritical.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 12, 2019

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Colonel Whitey posted:

What is stopping him from noticing the ray gun guy is that’s the moment he falls in love with Angela. He’s looking at her with awe because she just risked her life for him despite him telling her she can’t. And he gets zapped because he’s distracted. Manhattan is essentially just a human being, walking through life making choices like anybody else. He just has a 10,000 ft view on events that we don’t have. So if we pretend he’s just a regular dude for a second, he made the “choice” in that moment not to look for more Kavalry guys and to look into Angela’s eyes instead. A very human moment.

That's not gonna satisfy the crowd that thinks he should've avoided it, because that's still a really dumb choice given all the information he is supposed to have access to. Why not make the choice to instead take the half second necessary to eliminate the ray gun and THEN you get to spend all the time you want looking into Angela's eyes?

It's just not something that we can ever fully wrap our heads around and it's meant to be that way. As others have mentioned, the characters themselves react the same way. The only one who truly can understand the "why" of Dr. Manhattan's actions are Manhattan himself.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments

AtraMorS posted:

I want to say Heinlen had a few stabs at this kind of fiction, too, but I haven't read much of his stuff since I was a teenager. Did Stranger in a Strange Land or Number of the Beast ever get into this kind of thing?

I think you're remembering By His Bootstraps by Heinlein.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nail Rat posted:

I don't know about agency vs. free will but learning how synapses work sometime back really has me of the opinion that free will may very well not exist. But just like weather, there might just be too many variables for us to figure out.

Yeah that's basically where I'm at. If your brain can make a decision, what does the soul do? If your soul makes decisions, why have a brain at all?

We know that if you damage someone's brain, you can fundamentally change their personality. That would at least diminish the power that a soul would meaningfully have over the life of a person.

And note that quantum physics and randomness isn't enough to create free will. If your actions have a random chance of doing something you didn't intend, that isn't free will, that's actually LESS control, not more.

Making decisions outside the universe... just doesn't make sense to me. But that's where we go from pure philosophy to religion, so any stance on souls is equally valid or likely, its all ineffable.

But I think its real important to point out that you CAN totally have agency without free will. I think most people who argue pro free will do so under the false assumption that not having free will means they can't make decisions. But that's not true.

zoux posted:

Whether or not it exists we'll never know, but we do know we can make choices, and that's good enough. (Agency)

That's the point I keep trying to make, and if you guys would quit with the "lmao I don't think you even know what you're saying hur hur" for a few seconds, you'd see its a meaningful distinction.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 12, 2019

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Basebf555 posted:

That's not gonna satisfy the crowd that thinks he should've avoided it, because that's still a really dumb choice given all the information he is supposed to have access to. Why not make the choice to instead take the half second necessary to eliminate the ray gun and THEN you get to spend all the time you want looking into Angela's eyes?

It's just not something that we can ever fully wrap our heads around and it's meant to be that way. As others have mentioned, the characters themselves react the same way. The only one who truly can understand the "why" of Dr. Manhattan's actions are Manhattan himself.

It’s not supposed to be a smart choice, it’s supposed to convey what I wrote in my post. Characters in fiction don’t behave 100% rationally all the time and I feel like people get really hung up on that. The point is that Manhattan is not actually this foreign unknowable entity, he’s a human being. His arc in this show is that he found a new reason to reconnect with humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Colonel Whitey posted:

What is stopping him from noticing the ray gun guy is that’s the moment he falls in love with Angela. He’s looking at her with awe because she just risked her life for him despite him telling her she can’t save him. And he gets zapped because he’s distracted. Manhattan is essentially just a human being, walking through life making choices like anybody else. He just has a 10,000 ft view on events that we don’t have. So if we pretend he’s just a regular dude for a second, he made the “choice” in that moment not to look for more Kavalry guys and to look into Angela’s eyes instead. A very human moment.

The gun shoots tachyons which Dr M is blind too. I imagine the gun's technically be irradiated by them so he literally has no idea where the shot will come from. He knows the outcome because of his timebrain, just not how to avoid it.

At least thats what makes sense to me