Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
ei canada wont even take my calls. rip my file, under review for quitting a job 11 months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

i have no photoshop skills but someone please swap scheer's head and scheer's head tia

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Which one is he?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Nope, not sticking

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Isizzlehorn posted:

Hot drat some good news, one less neo-conservative to worry about.

That said, hell world requires Harris run for party leadership and win so lol.

some would say the hell world comedy option is doug ford (who will very definitely be running), but they're wrong. it's patrick brown

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

eric ciaramella posted:

ei canada wont even take my calls. rip my file, under review for quitting a job 11 months ago.

'dire need'

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
cannot wait for the dofo/bojo/djt trade summit

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

vyelkin posted:

cannot wait for the dofo/bojo/djt trade summit

truly a meeting of the minds

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

infernal machines posted:

some would say the hell world comedy option is doug ford (who will very definitely be running), but they're wrong. it's patrick brown

I mean if we're fantasy footballing it, Brian Mulroney is technically still alive. Or resurrect Ralph Klein, I'm sure most of his skin hasn't decayed completely yet.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

they way he was pickled i doubt he'd rot

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
of all the thing to lose the party leadership, private schooling via party funds is pretty tame

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
so how soon after the brits sell the nhs to the usa do we sell off whatever our healthcare is to the americans

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
If the liberals stay in power i'd say about 10 years, if the conservatives get into power probably like 15.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

getting done like aunt becky is just sad, milquetoast even in scandal

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is it too soon to poo poo on the oft-heard notion that a cantankerous Canadian Corbyn is what it will take to revive the Canadian left?

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
Yes, because there is no Canadian left.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Scheer stepping down and making way for a competent leader probably hurts the chances of any real left in Canada, as the liberals will just be reinforced as the "left option" against whatever "right option" comes out of this.

If Scheer stayed on and dragged the CPC to utter irrelevancy, the liberals wouldn't have anyone notable right of themselves to positions themselves as "the left option", and a true left option could arise to challenge them.

But this is hell world so it will be Trudeau vs Harper as we circle further down the drain.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

He's running

https://i.imgur.com/LCz8kMV.mp4

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
I didn't think anyone thought Scheer was going to be sticking around anyways? The dude is a joke candidate who got put in charge by accident, the Conservatives are actual monsters but they're not stupid enough to think that they should keep him on as leader.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
embellizing to fund your kids private school education seems like the most conservative thing ever

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

RBC posted:

embellizing to fund your kids private school education seems like the most conservative thing ever

yeah honestly that should be a sign that he's fully committed to the conservative party of canada

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
private school should be illegal

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

"From Beyond 2" looking pretty good.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

vyelkin posted:

let he who has not embezzled money to pay for private school cast the first stone

*gestures a Burnco truck into position to unload*

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

James Baud posted:

Is it too soon to poo poo on the oft-heard notion that a cantankerous Canadian Corbyn is what it will take to revive the Canadian left?

corbyn comparisons to anything right now kind of suck because clearly brexit dicked the whole thing up

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

#freequebec #wexit

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/scheer-conservative-leadership-contenders-1.5393809

quote:

Clark served as Liberal premier of British Columbia from 2011 to 2017 — the second woman in the province to hold the position.

In B.C. the Liberal Party leans to the right, and under her leadership the province moved toward a diversified economy, expanded markets and debt reduction.

Before entering politics, Clark worked as a radio show host and columnist.

:hmmyes:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
fuckin’ hell but not like the alternatives are preferable for a party that sucks poo poo

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
cbc asks the hard-hitting questions like "what if the problem wasn't andrew scheer, what if the problem was that conservatism sucks rear end"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

por que no los dos?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Lol every now and then they ask a good question or frame an issue truthfully, probably by accident

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

I didn't think anyone thought Scheer was going to be sticking around anyways? The dude is a joke candidate who got put in charge by accident, the Conservatives are actual monsters but they're not stupid enough to think that they should keep him on as leader.

scheer is a yawning void of anti-charisma yeah, it's why trudeau's multiple career-killing scandals have mostly blown over

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
trudeau's election team, assuming some of them are still the same people from the OLP, are really good at pulling out elections although you have to wonder about their record given who they're up against most the time.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Yeah people need to remember that the majority of reporting on politics comes from people who worked in politics or will work in politics, and the discussions of how "campaigns matter" are not necessarily all that different than how every major newspaper always has people from the real estate industry writing columns on how home prices will only ever increase and its a great time to buy in. Reporters have an incentive to encourage people to think that campaigns are highly consequential and that good campaigns will best bad campaigns and that political outcomes are largely due to the strategic decisions of the winner or, at least, the mistakes of the loser. Plenty of empirical research suggests that political contests are often random (except in cases where they are extremely lopsided and predetermined) and stuff like "was it raining on election day" or "how was the economy doing in the last few months immediately before the election" often seem to matter far more than anything that happens during a campaign. Yet the focus remains on campaigning because that justifies the amount of money that is spent on communications and consultants, and also because that justifies the excessive focus on horse race journalism in the media.

With the OLP you can of course argue that they made some smart decisions that helped them win hard elections, but on the other hand when you really look at what was happening in Ontario you could just as easily invent a story where the OLP's success was mostly by default. The really significant change was actually within the Progressive Conservatives: when they adopted their one-person-one-vote system for choosing leaders in the 1980s it opened the door for a much more right-wing leader to take over and push out the Bill Davis era Red Tory moderates. That is how Mike Harris got into power - he was the candidate of the Conservative grassroots. Then, because all the polls put Harris in third place during the lead up to the 1995 election a lot of Conservative party veterans resigned and Harris had free reign to remake the party and its candidates in his image. He created a hard-right party which managed to win two elections before turning the entire province against it. They also roused a bunch of unions into becoming massively involved in spending money on anti-Conservative advertising campaigns. This wasn't something that anyone forced them to do - they didn't have to eliminate card check or go out of their way to antagonize teacher unions - but they did it anyway and paid the price for decades afterward.

The Liberals, meanwhile, just happened to be in the right place to inherit the support of the big public sector and construction unions. They also had become well positioned to absorb the centrist voters who traditionally might have supported a centrist Tory government but who were turned off by the hard right policies of Harris (or the poorly thought out decision of John Tory in 2007 to advocate expanding support for faith based schooling). Perhaps their skillful campaigning - as well as numerous mistakes by the Conservatives - played a role in those elections. After all, the Conservatives did repeatedly start with large leads and then proceed to lose. From another perspective, though, you could really argue that the success of the liberals up until recently was mostly just the structural byproduct of the Progressive Conservative party getting pulled to the right and thus evacuating the centre ground. Most of the explanations for why that happened are probably demographic or come from large scale decade to decade changes in political subjectivity rather than being attributable to anything too context specific.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I still can’t find a job and now quebec social security wants me to pay them 2600$ it apparently overpaid me.

I live on around 700$ a month.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

MonsieurChoc posted:

I still can’t find a job and now quebec social security wants me to pay them 2600$ it apparently overpaid me.

I live on around 700$ a month.

They're giving you the warm fuzzy feeling of paying taxes without actually paying taxes? Merry Christmas

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I’m so loving depressed these days I find myself thinking about suicide and it scares the hell out of me. Not thinking about doing it, not really, but I’m scared that if I don’t get better I might think about it more seriously.

II’m angry and depressed and anxious.

You ever read Matt Taibi’s The Divide? There’s an entire chapter about the stupidity and horror of nickel-and-diming people on benefits for peanuts while the rich keep getting away with millions.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
the cspam mental health thread is really good. you'll be welcomed with open arms. (dont forget to see your doctor.)

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

MonsieurChoc posted:

I’m so loving depressed these days I find myself thinking about suicide and it scares the hell out of me. Not thinking about doing it, not really, but I’m scared that if I don’t get better I might think about it more seriously.

II’m angry and depressed and anxious.

You ever read Matt Taibi’s The Divide? There’s an entire chapter about the stupidity and horror of nickel-and-diming people on benefits for peanuts while the rich keep getting away with millions.

Nope, what's it say? I definitely think there's a strong lizard brain influence on happiness via fairness. Like the experiment where two monkeys were fine getting paid in cucumber slices to do some menial job but when one started getting paid in grape slices for the same thing, the other monkey lost its mind. Or a CEO getting a big bonus being mad someone else who didn't work as hard is getting the same bonus. Or people living in Toronto where they see rich people and have much more stuff are more depressed than equally poor people in nepalese villages or Saguenay, Qc.

Postess with the Mostest has issued a correction as of 23:37 on Dec 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

eric ciaramella posted:

the cspam mental health thread is really good. you'll be welcomed with open arms. (dont forget to see your doctor.)

there is also a cspam goonfood thread and fund, which helps goons who need help making ends meet, so if you are ever in trouble there are resources from fellow idiot hell fuckers on the internet who may be able to help you. stay strong MonsieurChoc my friend :unsmith: