Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Vox Nihili posted:

Wife's name: Helena Anne Beatrix Wentworth Fitzwilliam de Chair

Children's names:

-Peter Theodore Alphege Rees-Mogg
-Sixtus Dominic Boniface Christopher Rees-Mogg
-Alfred Wulfric Leyson Pius Rees-Mogg
-Thomas Wentworth Somerset Dunstan Rees-Mogg
-Mary Anne Charlotte Emma Rees-Mogg
-Anselm Charles Fitzwilliam Rees-Mogg

weird strategy for having easily remembered strong passwords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
So if Boris loses his seat he has to clean the queen's stables or some poo poo right?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Don't tease me like this. I know how the world works.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Frijolero posted:

So if Boris loses his seat he has to clean the queen's stables or some poo poo right?

he is "expected" to stand down i read

what that means and will that actually happen is uh, debatable

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

https://twitter.com/Conservatives/status/1205204672673271808?s=19

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

uh

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

is this some weird attempt to get it trending

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
...that account has a checkmark? I'm actually confused, I was trying to figure out where the deliberate typo in the username was but uh...

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/feelssick/status/1205196458154250240
https://twitter.com/feelssick/status/1205197817167437825

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

📣 BERXIT MEANS BERXIT

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

What happens if the Tories win, but Boris loses his seat? Are you allowed to be the PM if you're not an MP?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Shear Modulus posted:

is there a good stream link of results coverage so i can despair and/or celebrate in real time this afternoon across the pond
I'm too if there's a better free option for Americans than Sky News, which is what I resorted to last election and the Brexit referendum. I couldn't even stream BBC for free.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

loquacius posted:

What happens if the Tories win, but Boris loses his seat? Are you allowed to be the PM if you're not an MP?

they helicopter him in to a solid tory constituency to carpetbag

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

John 'Ordaaaaah' Bercow is doing the Sky coverage so why would you watch anything else?

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

slippery doc posted:

I'm on the west coast of the US

company scheduled our annual holiday party for 2pm on a Thursday, presumably to stop people from drinking too much, but that's the exact time that polls close so whoops

lmao

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

loquacius posted:

Just like us speaker of the house, anyone can be pm.

Traditionally it's always an mp, leader of the party, but it's not like they wrote down their rules much better than we did. In fact they did it even worse.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Lawrence the stable guy.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

kecske posted:

John 'Ordaaaaah' Bercow is doing the Sky coverage so why would you watch anything else?

Berxit means bercow exit obviously!!

Juliet Whisky
Jan 14, 2017

loquacius posted:

He can still be Prime Minister if his Cabinet and Government colleagues can abstay from trying to wreck each other's chances enough to have him appointed to the House of Lords in the New Year's Honours.

e:f,b and also didn't know you didn't have to be in Parliament

Juliet Whisky has issued a correction as of 21:09 on Dec 12, 2019

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

...that account has a checkmark? I'm actually confused, I was trying to figure out where the deliberate typo in the username was but uh...

Its the level of competence u can expect from the next ten years of boris government

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

loquacius posted:

There's technically no rule against it because the role of PM isn't well defined constitutionally.

Douglas Home won the Tory leadership and became PM without a commons seat while he was sitting in the Lords. He shoved aside a Tory MP in a safe seat to get himself a by-election into the commons and avoid the controversy of a HoL PM. That seems like the most likely option for Boris, although it would be a lot more embarrassing to have to do it on account of losing his own commons seat.

There was a Canadian PM who didn't hold any legislative position in the 80s for a couple of months and "governed from the corridor", but he immediately had Parliament dissolved for an election and so didn't have to deal with the complication that he couldn't actually speak in Parliament.

Bryter has issued a correction as of 21:11 on Dec 12, 2019

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/iresimpsonsfans/status/1205217477808005120

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

lorn Wayne posted:

Looking like a goddamn idiot to own the libs (labs?)

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Vox Nihili posted:

Wife's name: Helena Anne Beatrix Wentworth Fitzwilliam de Chair

Children's names:

-Peter Theodore Alphege Rees-Mogg
-Sixtus Dominic Boniface Christopher Rees-Mogg
-Alfred Wulfric Leyson Pius Rees-Mogg
-Thomas Wentworth Somerset Dunstan Rees-Mogg
-Mary Anne Charlotte Emma Rees-Mogg
-Anselm Charles Fitzwilliam Rees-Mogg

Reminder that Rees-Mogg is the son of a press muckraker cosplaying as ancient nobility.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

Looking like a goddamn idiot to own the libs (labs?)

well at least it looks like it's close to getting ratioed

which is the important thing is course

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
a nice side effect of ain't no rule saying a dog can't be pm is it's not clear the average dog is any more inbred than the average Tory

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

Please don't feel bad for staying with your parents, the most important thing is you're somewhere safe with people you can trust. I'm sure there's ways you can show your appreciation by doing housework etc. if you're up to it.

Speaking as a borderline alcoholic: if you're in a bad mindset, drinking that amount of booze can just as easily strip away your capability to cope, and has the potential to make anxiety far worse.

Nobody knows how this election will pan out, the exit polls have the potential to not be fully accurate.

There's nearly 2 hours til that point though and if you're half a litre deep already and feeling like this, I cannot imagine you're in a good position to receive bad news.

For what it's worth, I'd recommend getting to bed before 10 and reading the results in the morning if at all possible.

Also no matter what, don't check out before your time, as tempting as your final suggestion is.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

ugh ok i was lying, not gonna sleep well tonight

there's that ol familiar sick in the stomach feeling

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Kurtofan posted:

odds on america invading if corbyn wins?

nonzero

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/frankieboyle/status/1205218636136374273?s=20

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

lorn Wayne posted:

That's exactly it. They were doing the same thing earlier in the election by doing stuff like using Comic Sans.

This is one of the many problems with Twitter. A lefty will quote-retweet to go "lol" but the algorithm sees that as engagement and it'll spread the message further.

E: That's the thing about social media in general. While there are definitely cases where bad PR exists in traditional outlets, to the algorithm all engagement is good engagement.

foobardog has issued a correction as of 21:27 on Dec 12, 2019

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
my kingdom for an animated gif of the end of a casket match with corbyn slamming the casket shut on Johnson, except the casket is a fridge

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

my kingdom for an animated gif of the end of a casket match with corbyn slamming the casket shut on Johnson, except the casket is a fridge

you should challenge bojo to chess imo

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Itzena posted:

Reminder that Rees-Mogg is the son of a press muckraker cosplaying as ancient nobility.

Also his dad famously helped get Mick Jagger and Keith Richards out of prison when they were convicted on drug charges.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

https://twitter.com/GusTheFox/status/1204912514598920197

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

silvergoose posted:

you should challenge bojo to chess imo

it would be nice watching that congealed lump try make it in to glasgow only to get chased out by a pitchfork-wielding mob just like nigel farage

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

foobardog posted:

That's exactly it. They were doing the same thing earlier in the election by doing stuff like using Comic Sans.

This is one of the many problems with Twitter. A lefty will quote-retweet to go "lol" but the algorithm sees that as engagement and it'll spread the message further.

They will spread the message to more people who will laugh at it. If it really is part of a deliberate strategy is phenomenally stupid.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Bryter posted:

There's technically no rule against it because the role of PM isn't well defined constitutionally.

Douglas Home won the Tory leadership and became PM without a commons seat while he was sitting in the Lords. He shoved aside a Tory MP in a safe seat to get himself a by-election into the commons and avoid the controversy of a HoL PM. That seems like the most likely option for Boris, although it would be a lot more embarrassing to have to do it on account of losing his own commons seat.

There was a Canadian PM who didn't hold any legislative position in the 80s for a couple of months and "governed from the corridor", but he immediately had Parliament dissolved for an election and so didn't have to deal with the complication that he couldn't actually speak in Parliament.

he would have to step down as tory leader though, their rules say the tory leader has to be an MP

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
bercowxit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

lmao owned