Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I'd say that one can also just live life with the idea of there not being free will. Causality explains more about how people work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Infinite Karma posted:

Modern physics says the universe is hard probabilistic and quantum events are truly random, thus determinism is an illusion and a shortcut. "No hidden variables" has been tested and thus far it's held up.
The relative state formulation of QM is entirely consistent with hard determinism IIRC.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Quick someone explain why hard determinism precludes free will in the first place. Hint: it does not.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I always thought people telling me Free Will doesn't exist must suffer from sort of brain damage. Luckily they can't object to this opinion, since I don't have free will and the universe forces me to mock them! :v:

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
The existence or lack thereof of freewill doesn't stop posts on the internet, it merely recontextualizes a small portion of why they are posting.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Quick someone explain why hard determinism precludes free will in the first place. Hint: it does not.

Hard determinism does preclude free will, by definition. The problem is that people want to declare that the universe is run by hard determinism, but have nowhere near enough information to make that claim (is likely a form of soft determinism.)

The issue usually boils down to competing, usually undescribed, versions of what ‘free will’ means.

If you take it to mean that you’re 100% free of all outside influence, then yeah of course. Nobody has free will.

If you take it to mean that you’re able to make some decisions within the narrow context of the reality that surrounds you, then it becomes obvious that it does exist.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

On one of the keynotes I've been to (the time I've met Penrose actually) we talked about determinism, and there were mathematical arguments that basically mean "if there is even the slightest bit of randomness in the universe, it is not hard deterministic in general". I'll try to find it tomorrow maybe, but if I'm remembering it right, then in most current interpretations of quantum mechanics determinism does not hold. Of course, there are interpretations where it would (hidden variables etc).

e; Penrose himself is of the opinion that we possess free will thanks to quantum processes, though it's a bit of his maverick mumbo-jumbo he likes to partake in

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 13, 2019

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Captain Monkey posted:

Hard determinism does preclude free will, by definition.
e: eh, sorry. I was working off a different (i.e., wrong) working definition of "hard determinism." You are correct.

Anyway, I subscribe to compatibilism, if that wasn't obvious :)

MSDOS KAPITAL fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 13, 2019

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

dex_sda posted:

e; Penrose himself is of the opinion that we possess free will thanks to quantum processes, though it's a bit of his maverick mumbo-jumbo he likes to partake in
If I'm not mistaken most of that has been disproven and he's back off it a bit?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Personally I subscribe to cannibalism. Anyway, for those of you who were confused about how FTL violates causality, it probably wouldn't in obvious ways just put putting around the solar system. However reference frames can differ on order of events and this becomes a problem if they can interact both slowly at a distance and instantly by FTL. Then you can get issues like Kirk and the Klingons using warp and high speed to see what the other is going to do before they do it, leading to a causality shambles.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Infinite Karma posted:

Modern physics says the universe is hard probabilistic and quantum events are truly random, thus determinism is an illusion and a shortcut. "No hidden variables" has been tested and thus far it's held up.

If you want to get pseudoscientific, neurons are also probabilistic with their potentiation and firing thresholds, so what if brains are built to scale up quantum probabilistic physics to the macroscopic world? It would make them free-will machines that manipulate which potential events become actual events.

Only electrons have free will. Everything else is at the mercy of their free will.

Arglebargle III posted:

Personally I subscribe to cannibalism. Anyway, for those of you who were confused about how FTL violates causality, it probably wouldn't in obvious ways just put putting around the solar system. However reference frames can differ on order of events and this becomes a problem if they can interact both slowly at a distance and instantly by FTL. Then you can get issues like Kirk and the Klingons using warp and high speed to see what the other is going to do before they do it, leading to a causality shambles.

It would be obvious, though, because going FTL would do bizarre poo poo like create copies of the space ship doing it that lands before it takes off.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

If I'm not mistaken most of that has been disproven and he's back off it a bit?

Only remember what he said a couple years ago, not sure now

btw if we're tagging ourselves I'm a "too little information to tell" guy. From a "true" free will outlook, if universe is deterministic, it doesn't exist. If it isn't, it can. But we don't know what's behind the quantum mechanics we see, so no way to tell. Pretty cut and dry. Call me an agnostic here I guess.

From a philosophical standpoint, it's murkier, as first of all, our choices are obviously the result of our circumstances, so you're never fully in control in that way. But, on the other hand, does it even matter whether free will is an illusion or not? I may play at being a philosopher sometimes, but I am not equipped to go down this path much deeper.

I guess if I had to go with my gut on this, I'd be partial to this post here:

ashpanash posted:

The problem, I think, is that we all have this idea of 'free will' as being some sort of all-powerful acausal action, created from nothingness, that endows us with the ability to make decisions regardless of our circumstances, environment, and current conditions. That, of course, is silly.

On the other hand, simply dismissing all actions anyone takes as being completely and totally defined and written in a kind of impregnable stone also seems silly and counter to what we experience, at least by some metrics.

I think the truth is more muddled and complicated. I suspect that there's some sort of free-will-esque scenarios that can, should the right conditions present themselves, emerge out of the chaotic ensemble of the many factors of reality. Not that we somehow can make choices in a vacuum, but that there is some degree of agency, or at the very least non-conformity to rigid expectation, that can influence the direction or evolution of merging systems. That's not nearly as exciting as 'free will!' though.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Free will is decoupled from determinism because a non deterministic random universe would also not mean you have free will. Dice rolls and coin tosses aren't free will, and the debate over it comes from before the existence of modern physics.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Free will is decoupled from determinism because a non deterministic random universe would also not mean you have free will. Dice rolls and coin tosses aren't free will, and the debate over it comes from before the existence of modern physics.

I know what you mean, my point is that physically true free will cannot exist in a deterministic universe.

Of course, that has no bearing on whether the concept of free will is meaningful and other philosophical and metaphysical considerations.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
It also can't exist in a random universe by the same logic. The binary of random or ordered physics does not really illuminate the argument over free will in any meaningful manner. If I lived in a hard reductive deterministed universe, but had a magical random number generator that broke the physics of said universe to actually be random, I could not use it to make all my decisions and have that be free will.

Neither Probability nor Deterministic Progression is an exercise of free will.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
sounds like you should just try harder if you don’t have free will imo

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

LtStorm posted:

Only electrons have free will. Everything else is at the mercy of their free will.

It would be obvious, though, because going FTL would do bizarre poo poo like create copies of the space ship doing it that lands before it takes off.

Nah, there are no frames of reference different enough to disagree on order of events in the solar system. You could get a ship arriving before a radio message of it leaving arrives, but you couldn't get a ship arriving before a radio message to summon it from another planet.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Infinite Karma posted:

If you want to get pseudoscientific, neurons are also probabilistic with their potentiation and firing thresholds, so what if brains are built to scale up quantum probabilistic physics to the macroscopic world? It would make them free-will machines that manipulate which potential events become actual events.

I like the idea that our universe started as hard deterministic until sentient life evolved at which point it switched to probabilistic.

Maybe dark matter/energy is just the result of this. If life evolved early enough wouldn't it be possible that billions of years down the road the reason the universe isn't matching our expected results is because of life itself throwing it off the expected deterministic path? I don't know if that makes sense.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Unless your making a joke at the expense of humanity (a time honored tradition), I really don't see anything about us that would cause that. As it is, would you rather do things for no reason, or for reasons? Determinism doesn't stop you from doing what you want to, it just says you do them for reasons. If you want to do good things for the world and those you care for, then go forth and do them, nothing can stop you but yourself.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Quantum physicists wrestled with this problem in the early 20th century and it's pretty hard to avoid the conclusion that the universe is random at a fine enough level. They tried, because a lot of religious scientist did not like that answer. For example Boltzman tried very hard to avoid statistical mechanics in his description of particle behavior but in the end that was the only math that worked. Not sure why you're rehashing this here. Something about free will?

This epic quote from the first lines of a textbook is worth posting:

D. L. Goodstein posted:

Ludwig Boltzman, who spent much of his life studying statistical mechanics, died in 1906, by his own hand. Paul Ehrenfest, carrying on the work, died similarly in 1933. Now it is our turn to study statistical mechanics. Perhaps it will be wise to approach the subject cautiously.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
That's a Boltzmann galaxy-brain idea.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Nah, there are no frames of reference different enough to disagree on order of events in the solar system. You could get a ship arriving before a radio message of it leaving arrives, but you couldn't get a ship arriving before a radio message to summon it from another planet.

No you don't understand; if a ship leaves a launch pad on Earth to travel to a landing pad on another planet at FTL speeds and back, three images of that ship are going to be visible to observers on Earth until light works everything out at light speed. We are all understating how bizarre the implications of a ship moving at FTL would be.

Arglebargle III posted:

Quantum physicists wrestled with this problem in the early 20th century and it's pretty hard to avoid the conclusion that the universe is random at a fine enough level. They tried, because a lot of religious scientist did not like that answer. For example Boltzman tried very hard to avoid statistical mechanics in his description of particle behavior but in the end that was the only math that worked. Not sure why you're rehashing this here. Something about free will?

This epic quote from the first lines of a textbook is worth posting:

As I said before, only electrons have free will. Everything else is at their mercy.

Also to bring things down for a moment; that book intro is utterly hilarious, but Boltzmann and Ehrenfest both came to pretty tragic ends due in big part to bad mental health. Boltzmann was known to be manic-depressive his entire life and committed suicide when he realized he was coming down with dementia. Ehrenfest had pretty severe depression and a son with Down's which lead him to kill his son and himself because it was 1933 and they lived in Germany.

LtStorm fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 14, 2019

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

LtStorm posted:

No you don't understand; if a ship leaves a launch pad on Earth to travel to a landing pad on another planet at FTL speeds and back, three images of that ship are going to be visible to observers on Earth until light works everything out at light speed. We are all understating how bizarre the implications of a ship moving at FTL would be.

No, you don't understand. The ship can precede its own image, sure. What it can't do is arrive before it was called for, which is the sort of thing that FTL can accomplish in different enough reference frames. That kind of disagreement on order of events, where the call to the ship is still in the future when the ship arrives, cannot happen for anything hanging out at 30 km/s relative velocity in the solar system.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

No, you don't understand. The ship can precede its own image, sure. What it can't do is arrive before it was called for, which is the sort of thing that FTL can accomplish in different enough reference frames. That kind of disagreement on order of events, where the call to the ship is still in the future when the ship arrives, cannot happen for anything hanging out at 30 km/s relative velocity in the solar system.

there are no privileged frames of reference.

if the light from the ship landing on the planet arrives before the light from the ship in transit, the ship landed on the planet before it was travelling to the planet.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Solar System content:

Asteroids
Black Hole (Maybe, Best Event Hopefully)
A Metal Hydrogen Factory called Jupiter
A Hematite Ball called Mercury
Venus, Earth JR with human purple skin DLC unlockable
Neptune the Ice Compressor
Uranus the titanium rock holder

We fuckin' don't need any more planets to do enough science to last us a few million years

We have the hardest stone, the hardest metal, and the most tightly compacted ice type ever. We can do it all.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

A big flaming stink posted:

if the light from the ship landing on the planet arrives before the light from the ship in transit, the ship landed on the planet before it was travelling to the planet.

Sounds more like an image of the ship landing arrives before the ship launched, which is weird sure, but odd future visions seems like a thing that could exist.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
space is where most of stuff is

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Libluini posted:

Sounds more like an image of the ship landing arrives before the ship launched, which is weird sure, but odd future visions seems like a thing that could exist.

how about images arrive to the launch point in the wrong order because you go between your destination and your launch point

Observational science no longer works and we suddenly know nothing about the universe. FTL is nonsense

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Unoriginal Name posted:

how about images arrive to the launch point in the wrong order because you go between your destination and your launch point

Observational science no longer works and we suddenly know nothing about the universe. FTL is nonsense

If we can move at FTL-speeds we can also observe what happens at FTL-speeds, even if we have to send small drones with FTL-drive at first before we learn to use our FTL-tech for communication.

I think this thread is convincing me more and more that FTL is possible.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Libluini posted:

If we can move at FTL-speeds we can also observe what happens at FTL-speeds, even if we have to send small drones with FTL-drive at first before we learn to use our FTL-tech for communication.

I think this thread is convincing me more and more that FTL is possible.

Then you should reread it.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

That's not a causality violation, light from things reaching our eyes doesn't cause the ship to be in any particular place.

A causality violation is when you call the space ambulance to treat your bullet wound and it arrives before you get shot in the first place.

In reality, that only happens due to time dilation between the pre-FTL travel event frames of reference, and nothing in the solar system is moving at relativistic speeds, so it's moot. Not every part of an FTL light cone violates causality, but the little sliver that does still does, even if there are no witnesses that exist in it.

Then again, there are subatomic particles moving that fast, so if their reference frames are relevant, causality is violated by the FTL.

Infinite Karma fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 14, 2019

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Please at least read an article on special relativity before weighing in.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Faster than light travel is impossible in much the same way that slower than light travel is impossible.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

If FTL is possible then there are reference frames where the thing that is caused by something else, happens before the something else. Not that the light from the thing reaches you first, or anything like that (didn't I already cover this?) but actually happens first. As in, even if you account for the time it takes the light to reach you, you will still determine that the event preceded its cause. Not only that, but there are other reference frames where this didn't happen - in other words, two observers in different reference frames will not agree on the order in which two causally-related events occur.

Now, that's a paradox. But I suppose you can hand wave it away with some many-worlds woo where you're just splitting the universe each time this paradox happens (note: I subscribe to many-worlds, but its application here is woo). I mean there are many other pseudo-scientific ways to rationalize this paradox: none of them actually make sense, but I don't suppose that's going to stop this thread with the way things are going. But, the paradox is not the reason that we say that FTL is impossible - rather, the paradox is the consequence of supposing that you do something that's actually physical nonsense. The actual reason that FTL is impossible is along the lines of what Arglebargle III is going on about, and while I know I am screaming into the wind here I suggest anyone who's honestly curious about this take him up on his suggestion to at least read an article on special relativity.

Honestly curious is important, here. You have to actually give a poo poo about learning the way the world works, as opposed to looking for the one weird trick that's going to allow you to continue believing that Star Trek is Real Life.

MSDOS KAPITAL fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 14, 2019

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

CAROL posted:

space is where most of stuff is

What im trying to relay is we have every planet type omaginable that isnt horrible. Aka a magnatar (not a planet i know!) In our local solar system.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

What im trying to relay is we have every planet type omaginable that isnt horrible. Aka a magnatar (not a planet i know!) In our local solar system.

There are some that think we live on such a unique once in a loving infinite chance of happening scenario solar system that it's really not hard to imagine there being no other life in the Galaxy, potentially universe.

We have small planets close in, big planets in the middle, and medium planets on the outside. Our small rocky planet has one of the largest moons in the solar system somehow. Oh yeah, and there may be a super earth sized snow ball way out past Pluto, and maybe even a primordial black hole (extremely unlikely but fun)

Then again our understanding of systems beyond our own is in its extreme infancy still. Who knows what's normal until we have a bigger sample size.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

There are some that think we live on such a unique once in a loving infinite chance of happening scenario solar system that it's really not hard to imagine there being no other life in the Galaxy, potentially universe.

We have small planets close in, big planets in the middle, and medium planets on the outside. Our small rocky planet has one of the largest moons in the solar system somehow. Oh yeah, and there may be a super earth sized snow ball way out past Pluto, and maybe even a primordial black hole (extremely unlikely but fun)

Then again our understanding of systems beyond our own is in its extreme infancy still. Who knows what's normal until we have a bigger sample size.

A black hole woupd be the best thing to happen to the humans who figure out how to stop it from annihilating their civilization every 20,000 years.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is there a pretty good chance that the predicted super-earth-mass object out in our solar system is really a thing and not an error in reading the data?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Is there a pretty good chance that the predicted super-earth-mass object out in our solar system is really a thing and not an error in reading the data?

The data is indicative of something possibly sheparding some kuiper belt objects into similarly distorted orbits, but it's hardly conclusive.

Until they find it, or more direct evidence of it, it's a small chance that is fun to think about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

The data is indicative of something possibly sheparding some kuiper belt objects into similarly distorted orbits, but it's hardly conclusive.

Until they find it, or more direct evidence of it, it's a small chance that is fun to think about.

Yeah, the specific thing we know is that the objects in the Kuiper belt move with complexities we don't understand. As far as we are sure of they're all smaller than planets, yet they move as a group like something with a much greater mass is out there. We don't know why yet.