Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

UnknownTarget posted:

Ok, so use cabs and plan your life around "between 1 and 15 minutes, if no one's there call us" wait times.

Yes? I've lived my entire life without calling a single Uber or similar, I don't get what the big deal is unless you happen to get out of parties at 3AM in the middle of nowhere and no one can give you a lift, every single week of your life, or something like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

UnknownTarget posted:

Ok, so use cabs and plan your life around "between 1 and 15 minutes, if no one's there call us" wait times.

Luckily, we have more options than just "drivers ground into paste under the boot of tech" and "someone will get there eventually."

Having said that, even if we managed to have robust public transportation systems and app-based hailing for cab companies, it would likely still mean more waiting. The easy (from the consumer's point of view) transportation that Uber offers encourages an unsustainable lifestyle. Should it be convenient, fast, and cheap to visit a specialty bar halfway across the city in the dead of winter? Probably not, but Uber/Lyft make it so.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Helsing posted:

Their inability to operate at a loss is presumably linked to uber successfully locking up investor capital and convincing enough people that its early entry into the market would allow it to gain a monopolistic position that would one day lead to profitability. The fact other firms cannot reproduce uber's approach is probably at least in part because uber beat them to it.

well, the other issue is that other firms may not be able to reproduce uber's approach because uber's approach is a dumb approach funded by (a) softbanc being dumb as poo poo; (b) heavily hinting to investors they'll get a monopoly and jack prices up to the stratosphere when, in fact, there are no barriers to entry in this market (which their investors did not realize) and (c) selling bullshit dreams of self-driving cars

your point is basically (b) and you're correct once uber exists it looks dumb to try to fund a small startup to become the monopolist, but the real issue there is that you can't maintain a monopoly in this space

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/UploadVR/status/1204823490139811841

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

NeuralSpark posted:

SF had this with FlyWheel and it was great for about 18 months, but the cab companies didn't want to pay them their percentage for doing the app so now the companies all have their own apps and it's a pain in the rear end to get a cab again.

naming your app after a device that violently spins apart wasnt a good idea in hindsight

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

UnknownTarget posted:

That describes Uber perfectly too, though, except with nobody to call except the driver 15 min away.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
If you company is named "FlyWheel", you should be forced by law to operate buses (yes, those existed) or cars powered by a flywheel.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Latest Starlink Plans Unveiled By Elon Musk And SpaceX Could Create An Astronomical Emergency

quote:

the big lie came when Shotwell claimed that nobody in the company or the astronomy community could have possibly anticipated the problems that Starlink satellite would pose for astronomy. In her own words, Shotwell asserted:

“No one thought of this. We didn't think of it. The astronomy community didn't think of it.”

This is an outrageous claim that has no truth behind it. I spoke with Professor Nicholas Suntzeff, former Vice-President of the American Astronomical Society, who described Shotwell's statement as "clueless." Suntzeff referred to many articles and books going back to the 1990s discussing exactly this problem for optical astronomy (and even earlier works for radio astronomy), and pointed out a TEDx talk that he himself delivered on the exact topic in 2013. Suntzeff closed by saying the following:

“All I would say to the SpaceX COO is - try using Google, or call up the head of any radio or optical observatory and ask us about possible adverse effects on astronomy, and how we can minimize them.

“The night sky is the heritage for all humanity, and any use of the sky must respect the diversity of all cultures. Eisenhower made sure that space exploration and development would be led by civilian agencies. We now need similar visionaries to assure that the night sky is shared responsibility rather than merely exploited.”

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Musk's failed pasts efforts have already increased the serious problem of garbage in orbit around earth, and putting tons of satellites up won't make things any better.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
my loving god at this late capitalism hellhole

ground wire/cables/fiber/whatever is a non option AND we let billionaires and VC assholes risk kessler syn. because BIGGER NUMBERS IN MY FIN PORTFOLIO

(also the musk stanners coming to defend their fake Tony Stak god against ATUAL real scienetist)

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 12, 2019

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Lambert posted:

If you company is named "FlyWheel", you should be forced by law to operate buses (yes, those existed) or cars powered by a flywheel.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Seeing the Musk stans on twitter when scientists were posting actual photos of this bullshit was really something else.

Oh man, you can't forget this!

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Entertainment is literally the most wasteful and worthless application for the technology, my god.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Oh no, not people having fun

VR games and movies are fine, jesus christ

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Cicero posted:

Oh no, not people having fun

VR games and movies are fine, jesus christ

Don't engage with Kerning, he literally believes (or pretends to believe) the world was a better place when humans were still in the Stone Age. He's anti-techology and anti-civilization for the most part.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Entertainment is literally the most wasteful and worthless application for the technology, my god.

counterpoint: technology is used for your posts

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

evilweasel posted:

counterpoint: technology is used for your posts

i wasn't aware a vr headset was in the chain between my phone and SA's servers

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/z3bbq4/podcast-livestreams-hacked-ring-cameras-nulledcast

Whoa my willful adoption of the surveillance state can have consequences???

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Turns out all law enforcement needed to turn America into a panopticon society was to just sell some of the cameras to anxious white people and they'll happily turn their neighborhoods into digital snitches for you.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Solkanar512 posted:

Seeing the Musk stans on twitter when scientists were posting actual photos of this bullshit was really something else.

Oh man, you can't forget this!

I'd love to know how much kWh that 40kg wheel is storing. Is it close to LiOn battery energy density?

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

VideoGameVet posted:

I'd love to know how much kWh that 40kg wheel is storing. Is it close to LiOn battery energy density?

The Sterling Engine will save us all.

GIANT monolithic flywheels please! Chemical batteries be hosed.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
*smokes weed once*
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1205230908837523456?s=21

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Jesus christ rich people are so SMART!

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Kerning Chameleon posted:

VR is a tiny niche, it really doesn't matter. No one cares about VR as an entertainment product.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i am harry posted:

Jesus christ rich people are so SMART!
whoa, shrodingers cat.. this guy knows his stuff. i should give him money and let him put his garbage into orbit

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Last Chance posted:

whoa, shrodingers cat.. this guy knows his stuff. i should give him money and let him put his garbage into orbit

Don't forget this gem:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1205232388978003968

:thunk: lmfao

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I am really loving tired of Elon Musk.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
It's hilarious how quickly tweeting ruined the visionary genius reputation he was trying to cultivate for himself. Surprise! Turns out he's just an rear end in a top hat with enough money to build a car factory and hire rocket scientists.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
His genius is being rich enough to hire smart people

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, I haven't seen any evidence his reputation has been ruined. He's still fawned over by millions.

There's gotta be a good word english can steel for the assholes you know are stupid but everyone else fawns over as being so smart.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

ponzicar posted:

It's hilarious how quickly tweeting ruined the visionary genius reputation he was trying to cultivate for himself. Surprise! Turns out he's just an rear end in a top hat with enough money to build a car factory and hire rocket scientists.

You must not know many engineers because they are mostly all basically musk in some form or another.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

ponzicar posted:

You mean a car Tent

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/voxdotcom/status/1205171508865310721

quote:

Spacious, founded in 2016 by Chris Smothers and Preston Pesek, built its business renting out tables at vacant restaurant space in the day time to people looking for coworking space.

Congratulations, you've invented "bringing your laptop to the coffee shop."

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

That actually sounds like a good idea, doing it for restaurants where people normally wouldn't treat it like Starbucks.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Working in random restaurants sounds like a great idea to you? Okay.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cicero posted:

That actually sounds like a good idea, doing it for restaurants where people normally wouldn't treat it like Starbucks.

There are better ways to encourage clientele like that than to literally rent the tables.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I don't do it much myself, but my wife generally prefers working on a laptop in a bakery or coffee shop to doing the same thing at home. She likes the more social atmosphere.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Cicero posted:

I don't do it much myself, but my wife generally prefers working on a laptop in a bakery or coffee shop to doing the same thing at home. She likes the more social atmosphere.

Ya I am working from home for the first time in my life and it’s killing me, I need social stimulation

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Cicero posted:

I had a deal with a local coffee shop from 2006 through 2010 to work there in exchange for helping them with IT stuff.

I mean literally from 9 to 5 or more.

They had their own coffee roaster. Yum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

ponzicar posted:

He's still got a huge following sadly. They really poured out of the woodwork saying that the recent defamation ruling proved that Musky was right to call a man a pedophile and then double down by hiring a private investigator.