Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Len posted:

Did you play Ascension in the mix? I did 1,2, Ascension and then stopped. It didn't help Ascension is just garbage

I had plans to do the two PSP games after the main three because I remembered them being really short and easy, but I left Ascension off the list. Once was enough for that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

e: gently caress I'm praising the game in the complainy thread :blush:

m-mods??

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
It doesn't help that open-world games are all extremely same-y. You could play an Arkham, a Tomb Raider, an Asscreed, and one of the latter Just Cause and still get burnout because the loop is almost the exact same thing.

It's good to do a little breakdown of your playthroughs to shuffle things up, by genre or tone, so you always get something fresh.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I like Conarium so far but I've had to look something up already, which I hate doing.

Early on, I found a thing 'that looks like a handle' and a little later I found a thing that needs a handle. After much farting about with the inventory and searching, I crack and Google it. Nah, turns out you need a different handle and you need to do other stuff for the time being.

It's a bit clumsy to make you come across a missing handle when you have a different handle in your inventory early on, when you're not yet familiar with how items work in the game. It reminded me of trying desperately to interact with the disk you get early in Metal Gear Solid, trying to get Meryl's frequency.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

How dare you assail the long and storied adventure game tradition of providing multiple exclusive handles for different puzzles

It bugs me every time too

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
RE2make is awesome because it has a specific area where one handle can turn all the cranks you need to open the way out, but the twist is that, y'know, you've only got the one handle so you gotta take it with you. It's a nice way to turn that cliche of one specific handle -> one specific door on its head.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

CJacobs posted:

RE2make is awesome because it has a specific area where one handle can turn all the cranks you need to open the way out, but the twist is that, y'know, you've only got the one handle so you gotta take it with you. It's a nice way to turn that cliche of one specific handle -> one specific door on its head.

There's a handle like that in REMake as well, I'm not sure if it's in the original RE/Director's Cut. The thing is, there's also another handle that only works on one thing that you had to use multiple times with (as far as I could tell) no clue to use a second time, which led to me being frustratingly stuck for like a half hour.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I’ve been playing Hellblade, could someone please tell me that they stop using I Spy puzzles where a stick and a dead body form a “Q” as the main lock for the gates in the game?

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Walton Simons posted:

I like Conarium so far but I've had to look something up already, which I hate doing.

Early on, I found a thing 'that looks like a handle' and a little later I found a thing that needs a handle. After much farting about with the inventory and searching, I crack and Google it. Nah, turns out you need a different handle and you need to do other stuff for the time being.

It's a bit clumsy to make you come across a missing handle when you have a different handle in your inventory early on, when you're not yet familiar with how items work in the game. It reminded me of trying desperately to interact with the disk you get early in Metal Gear Solid, trying to get Meryl's frequency.

That's where I stopped playing Conarium. I liked what I saw prior to that, but after going through every room multiple times trying to figure out what to do next I decided to play something less frustrating.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Gann Jerrod posted:

I’ve been playing Hellblade, could someone please tell me that they stop using I Spy puzzles where a stick and a dead body form a “Q” as the main lock for the gates in the game?

That stops about six hours in or so. When you hit the credits.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't really play a bunch of racing games so I'm probably gonna be making an rear end of myself in this post because I don't have a ton of experience with them but here we go.

Crash Team Racing: Aside from Activision being the same corporate scumbags they've always been with microtransactions- here, you earn a 5th as much as you would be playing online- like with Star Wars Battlefront 2 where it might take like 40 hours to unlock a single character being brought here, I feel like some things are kinda iffy. Like, if you're boosting and touch a wall to any degree to come to a dead stop and lose it. It feels even worse in the adventure mode because I swear if you do that you snap to be facing the wall.

It probably doesn't make sense but I'm already talking about a racing game where anthropomorphic bandicoots race against each other so whatever, but I'd prefer to still have it but just be boosting against the wall. Most of them are curved so it's not like you're trapped driving straight forward into a wall for 3 seconds or anything. You'll turn and at least be able to get back up to top speed again pretty quick.

Also I wish every game could get away with just giving you all the stuff if you're willing to pay for it like Nier Automata was with achievements because there's no loving way I'm making it to the top of an online leaderboard. I already can't see myself beating all these time trials to unlock Dr. N.Tropy to begin with.

Finally, all of the cool costumes being stuck in the rotating storefront that you have no way of predicting what'll show up next absolutely blows. You can unlock boring filler like blue Crash or bright yellow Crash by doing some races but anything neat like Raincoat polar bear or Sabertooth cat then there's nothing you can do aside from check every day and hope it shows up when you can buy it.

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 06:59 on Dec 12, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The physics really are kinda crappy in the CTR remake. It was already kinda hard to turn in the original but in this one it is just a nightmare even when you're power-sliding with the brake. They definitely did not make the remade maps scale to the new turning physics. Ironically this is the same problem Toys for Bob had with the Crash 1-3 remakes (CTR is by Beenox), Crash 1 in particular only BARELY works with the Crash 3 jumping physics.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I never got far enough in CTR to complain about anything other than the egregious load times, I've played a few big new games where they're problematic but these are somehow worse on a goddamn closed-course kart racer ffs :psyduck:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

The physics really are kinda crappy in the CTR remake. It was already kinda hard to turn in the original but in this one it is just a nightmare even when you're power-sliding with the brake. They definitely did not make the remade maps scale to the new turning physics. Ironically this is the same problem Toys for Bob had with the Crash 1-3 remakes (CTR is by Beenox), Crash 1 in particular only BARELY works with the Crash 3 jumping physics.

It's almost possible to do a turn now if you're using a drift character, but I spent most of it using everyone as a Speed type because having a higher top speed seemed the most useful as a crutch and I'm bad at racing games on account of basically never playing them. :v:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Samuringa posted:

It doesn't help that open-world games are all extremely same-y. You could play an Arkham, a Tomb Raider, an Asscreed, and one of the latter Just Cause and still get burnout because the loop is almost the exact same thing.

It's good to do a little breakdown of your playthroughs to shuffle things up, by genre or tone, so you always get something fresh.

Outside of my silly projects, I generally try to do this!

Though I'd also argue that open world games (even strictly speaking about only Ubisoft ones) aren't as samey as people claim, but admittedly the Arkham, TR, and AC games in particular all fed off of each other to some degree so I get your point.

Edit: I was talking to a friend about this and I did come to the conclusion that shaking things up after playing a game like the modern Tomb Raiders is a bit trickier because it's doing the full mix of open world shooting, sneaking, platforming kinda stuff.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 10:23 on Dec 12, 2019

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

I've beaten Banner Saga 2, now, and combat is still the weakest part, but now with new annoyance!

Enemies can inflict status effects. You can see the name of what you have, but good loving luck knowing what it does!

My dude has Sunstrike. Right. So that...uh? Oh, apparently it stops you using Willpower to move? Or is he just out of Willpower?

This thing can Disease me, that's easy. One HP damage a turn. Can I cure this in any way? gently caress knows!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Gann Jerrod posted:

I gave up when I realised it was going to be just that and sludgy combat for the whole game.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Far Cry 5:

How many of these mandatory Capture Party missions am I going to have to go through? I'm having tons of fun just flying around and blowing up silos and poo poo but these stupid missions where you get captured and barely escape are just so tedious. I'm 5 hours in , I know I'm just going to barely escape just like I did the last 2 times and like every Far Cry protagonist has in every Far Cry game ever. Just let me run over cult members and light bears on fire.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

It happens 3 times in every region lol

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Yeah it happens every time you fill the threshold for the local resistance. Only place you can actively avoid the capture missions is the drug county, where you can postpone the mission as long as you avoid any dynamically generated actions. For example, one of the "release the prisoners" was actually a trigger to the mission for me. However, on that region they mostly are just harmless interactive cut-scenes anyway.

And the last one with John will aggravate you because the mission that ensues simply does not know when it would be appropriate to end, It still keeps going on for the next 5-6 required parts and it gets extra bullshitty towards the end. You are walking into a trap, and you cannot do anything to avoid/ease the ensuing mission because it resets the map right when you get the stupidest and most telegraphed protagonist knockout in the history of video games. And as when it triggers, you might have eliminated the enemies from the mission-related outposts but for that mission they count for jack poo poo.

It really is not very well-thought game narrative in any sense.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Wait, I've heard people be annoyed about this before.
But the impression I'm getting is that the game does scripted 'omg lol u got captured, o no.' setups multiple times per region in the game?

Genuinely? The obligatory 'omg captured, escape!!!' things in most games are often tedious, but are you genuinely loving telling me that some people sat down and agreed that it was something they wanted to do, I assume a dozen+ times in a game?

What the most actual of hells.

That sounds loving terrible.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Der Kyhe posted:

It really is not very well-thought game narrative in any sense.

Well, yes as I said. And for bonus round, in the canonical ending if your character was male, he becomes a gimp for the antagonist. If female, a sex slave.

... Or at least as implied.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SubNat posted:

But the impression I'm getting is that the game does scripted 'omg lol u got captured, o no.' setups multiple times per region in the game?

Genuinely? The obligatory 'omg captured, escape!!!' things in most games are often tedious, but are you genuinely loving telling me that some people sat down and agreed that it was something they wanted to do, I assume a dozen+ times in a game?

https://youtu.be/5xAMYHJYesM?t=70

It's especially galling since this is supposed to be an open world game. They also don't tell you that the people they send to capture you are indestructible so I spent all my good explosive ammo trying to kill one guy.

They capture you with " bliss bullets" that instantly incapacitate you, so why don't they just give all their members bliss bullets all the time?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

SubNat posted:

There's only three regions, so nine times total, and each one is honestly pretty short and easy and I've never understood the complaints at all.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

food court bailiff posted:

There's only three regions, so nine times total, and each one is honestly pretty short and easy and I've never understood the complaints at all.

Getting kidnapped nine times is an awful way to tell a story.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Getting kidnapped nine times is an awful way to tell a story.

If you bought FC5 for the story and not for bombing down mountains in a jeep and sending your grizzly bear friend to eat cultists' faces off then I think you might have grabbed the wrong game entirely.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Arbitrary capture of the PC is a storytelling crutch that is never executed decently.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

If you bought FC5 for the story and not for bombing down mountains in a jeep and sending your grizzly bear friend to eat cultists' faces off then I think you might have grabbed the wrong game entirely.

Yeah but they could've let you do that without "getting kidnapped" turning into a line on your CV

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'll agree that buying it was definitely a mistake.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

You can be snatched out of your air plane while trying to do the fun stuff. Its obnoxious and in your face and bad.

It ends up saying "play our dumb game, but not too much or not that way or we'll punish you."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As with all post-Far-Cry-3 Far Cry games, it's because they realized that the only enthralling story beats happen when you are kidnapped and tied up and the person they want to be the new Vaas is yelling at you.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

"What could top Vaas? How about three dumb hicks!"

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

This is a much easier argument to make with like Skyrim, where you can gently caress off to the woods and ignore anything that doesn't interest you with zero consequences. That's harder to do when the game actively drags you into lengthy, unskippable cutscenes where edgy morons do nothing interesting in exactly the same way every time.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I hoped that after Zero Time Dilemma failed to channel Telltale, AI: The Somnium Files would go back to a purer visual novel format, if only because it's harder to gently caress up. But nope, they're still trying to have fully animated cutscenes and it's just embarrassing to watch - at times the game looks like some kid's first Unity project. Ghetto motion capture rigs are so cheap now, have an intern act out at least stuff like opening a door if you can't do it properly with keyframes

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Testekill posted:

Arbitrary capture of the PC is a storytelling crutch that is never executed decently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJvL0_IgGAQ

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Lol that the game kidnapped your character so much that you, the player, developed stockholm syndrome towards it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Crowetron posted:

This is a much easier argument to make with like Skyrim, where you can gently caress off to the woods and ignore anything that doesn't interest you with zero consequences. That's harder to do when the game actively drags you into lengthy, unskippable cutscenes where edgy morons do nothing interesting in exactly the same way every time.

They’re not that lengthy, and not the same every time though? The way some of you talk about this game makes me wonder if you actually played it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Shovel Knight: King of Cards: Maybe I'm just rusty but the platforming is *extremely* punishing with the new moveset. Your main attack is a horizontal charge, which you have to account for if you want to hit an enemy over the many bottomless pits. A successful charge is followed by an aerial twirl, which can be followed with an airborne charge and so on. It is very easy to gently caress up when you're surrounded by hazards and I find myself losing every bit of treasure I find.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
The issue with the Far Cry 5 capturing mechanic is that it can't be avoided at all and any specific plans for what you want to do next immediately get thrown out the window. It's disruptive but doesn't really add anything positive to the game at all. Pretty much any other game would either have the scenarios be something that you opt into and MAYBE have the capture mechanic show up once or twice in the game, I honestly, genuinely don't know exactly why Far Cry 5 does it the way that it does. It's talked about so frequently both in this forum and elsewhere when the game is mentioned that I can't really believe that it never came up as a concern during play testing. The game just seems to be SO confident about the story it's trying to tell that it doesn't really seem to have much interest in what the player wants to do, which winds up feeling all the more annoying because otherwise the game is open and seems to want you to make your own fun and create your own approaches to problems.

The missions are short, that much is true, but the missions themselves are rarely anything to write home about (though the mission that you basically repeat three times in a row in the northern area is particularly bad), being generally linear and basic as far as missions in the game go. They're just kind of there. When you add in the whole aspect where you have a bunch of weirdos spew uninspired monologues at you it just starts to feel like more and more of a drag. If the game's going to sometimes just go ahead and take control from the player, it'd be nice if it actually offered something good in exchange.

I find the game on the whole was pretty disappointing. The whole experience was so strange since the game's bigger issues (the increasingly contrived kidnappings, guns feeling very samey, how dumb the plot is) all seem so avoidable but the developers just... kinda didn't. I wonder if there's some drama behind the game's production.

dracula vladdy AF has a new favorite as of 05:19 on Dec 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

They’re not that lengthy, and not the same every time though? The way some of you talk about this game makes me wonder if you actually played it.

A voice actor tries way too hard to sound menacing while droning on about the same nihilist garbage the characters have been spewing since you pressed start. Sometimes you're indoors, sometimes you're not. They're very similar and all very boring, even when they try to spice things up with ~trippy hallucinations~ which are largely recycled from FC4.

By the time I got to the end boss, I couldn't tell if the plot trying to be dramatic was better or worse than when side characters tried to be funny.

Anyway, here's an unrelated annoying game thing: the platforming based secrets in Painkiller. Bunny-hopping around an arena evading hoards of monsters while blasting them with electro-shurikens is fun, but the jumping mechanics are nowhere near tight enough to make most of the secret hunting feel rewarding. Most of the time I'll spot a power-up tucked away in a rafter or whatever and not bother with it because I don't want to spend 10 to 15 minutes wrestling with the physics engine.