Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

So what are all the time-dependent events?

Day 3: You can cross the canal.

Day 4: Evrart's task to intimidate the Weasel is hampered since the Weasel is home.

Day 5: Rene succumbs to a fatal heart-attack.

Tribunal: Happens when you enter the endgame?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

DreadCthulhu posted:

At the beginning, does it matter if I try to hyperfocus on a certain area of the map outside of the hotel or if I start roaming around the map talking to randos? It feels like they give you a pretty loose leash early on.

Do what feels good, man.

There are a couple minor events that happen at a certain place and day, so running all over the map can help you avoid missing those, but they are not critical. You'll miss a few interesting interactions and funny article of clothing at most, I think, if you miss the time- sensitive events.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Day 4: Evrart's task to intimidate the Weasel is hampered since the Weasel is home.

Yep, although for day 4, he just lets you move on to the next task, I think you only miss out on another bribe. The tribunal always happens right after you confront Ruby under the FELD building.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

im pretty sure the tribunal and shootout are triggered by you finding ruby

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Day 3, I think:

the opportunity to get the Piss F****t jacket from the guys trying to steal Kim's rims

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Meeting the Sunday Friend is also time-sensitive.

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

I just started the game up to check the stats out a little bit on a whim, and I noticed something about Authority I hadn't really put together before...

The description of Authority mentions that a perceived slight will send you into "Knee-breaking mode". Seems like a strange way to put it, but I guess it was being extremely literal.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Something that I didn't think much of at the time but think a lot of people might have missed is if you do the dance scene after the Tribunal, Kim kind of freaks out that you're busting these sweet dance moves when your leg's all hosed up.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If they do a future game in this setting, and building on the same formula, I hope they make the endgame more open-ended. New Vegas had four paths which cleverly let you do the same content, but for different factions. Alpha Protocol was a rubbish shooter redeemed by the insane reactivity; the final level alone has two different final-bosses and countless ways to betray allies or convert foes.

Maybe in Grunge Valhalla you could bring in the perp, or blame another party, or actively hamper your own investigation for shits and giggles.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

staplegun posted:

Something that I didn't think much of at the time but think a lot of people might have missed is if you do the dance scene after the Tribunal, Kim kind of freaks out that you're busting these sweet dance moves when your leg's all hosed up.

yeah it ruled

there was a -1 penalty for having just got your dick shot off a couple days ago but obviously this is outweighed by a +3 or +4 bonus for adding a good bassline

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I did a pretty balanced build for my first playthrough, tagged Rhetoric, and I think instead I'm going to go all meathead for another and max out physical instrument

Alpheratz
May 11, 2012

NewMars posted:

Inland empire may be supernatural. Shivers, on the other hand, is 100% a psychic power. This is actually explicit: on the website, the devs describe it as the only explicitly supernatural power.

Espirit De Corps may also be supernatural.

in some cases with esprit de corps you are straight out reading other people minds

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I did my first playthrough as 3/1/2/6, with Hand-Eye Coordination as my signature skill. For a replay, I'm thinking maybe something like 2/5/4/1?

Anyways, I have a question about the end: Is the only way to see the Insulidian Phasmid to pass a perception check at the end, or can other skills help with that? Wondering if a 1 Motorics run would make it hard to get that part.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Khizan posted:

I did my first playthrough as 3/1/2/6, with Hand-Eye Coordination as my signature skill. For a replay, I'm thinking maybe something like 2/5/4/1?

Anyways, I have a question about the end: Is the only way to see the Insulidian Phasmid to pass a perception check at the end, or can other skills help with that? Wondering if a 1 Motorics run would make it hard to get that part.

How much would you say H/E coordination actually came up? Mine was relatively low for most of the game so it didn't talk very much and I'm curious what input it would have on passive checks since it seems to be a much more specific thing than say, Inland Empire or Rhetoric, and it doesn't have a lot of active checks either.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

How much would you say H/E coordination actually came up? Mine was relatively low for most of the game so it didn't talk very much and I'm curious what input it would have on passive checks since it seems to be a much more specific thing than say, Inland Empire or Rhetoric, and it doesn't have a lot of active checks either.

there's a thought that makes you automatically pass every h/e coordination passive check and the only important active checks i remember are the shootout, shooting down the body, and examining the murder bullet

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It makes quite a few. Most are kind of weird, muscle memory tasks. It also chimes in a few times when people move or gesture and gives you insight why.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Just finished, game is good. Only the final interrogation was weak to me. My game of the year.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Buller posted:

Just finished, game is good. Only the final interrogation was weak to me. My game of the year.

That seems to be a common complaint. The game being so text focused, I personally love how flexible the talking you get is depending on what happens through your playthrough. But I could see how it could be seen as anticlimactic. It gave me flashbacks to KOTOR 2, which is a plus for me.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Regarding the ending, I really liked how Inland Empire let the corpse tell me he was killed by communism and love, and then he ended up being killed by a jealous communist.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Not as much as I had hoped for. As was said earlier, it's mostly recalling items/functions via muscle memory. You can bluff the 41st precinct into believing you still have your gun, but reconstructing it from how your hand remembers holding it. You can identify the kind of rifle that fired the fatal bullet in a similar way. Lots of things like that.

Next go round, I think I'm going hard on Inland Empire and Shivers.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Khizan posted:

Regarding the ending, I really liked how Inland Empire let the corpse tell me he was killed by communism and love, and then he ended up being killed by a jealous communist.

Yeah this is why I think Inland Empire is possibly more than just gut feeling and instinct or suppressed memories, there's no way Harry could have known that

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

Yeah this is why I think Inland Empire is possibly more than just gut feeling and instinct or suppressed memories, there's no way Harry could have known that

It's literally imagination

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

communism killed him, but love did him in

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

It's literally imagination

So Harry's imagination just happened to be right?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Wafflecopper posted:

Not entirely true.

Harry was investigating the murder before going on his amnesiac bender. We don't know how much he figured out before deciding he just couldn't take it anymore. Inland Empire is the conduit for a lot of old memories bubbling up as intuition (see: it telling you to stop digging in the garbage before you find your ledger), so it would be very fitting.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Considering Harry didn't even investigate the body at all prior to the start of the game one can assume he was just completely wasted the whole time and didn't do much investigating.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The thing about Inland Empire is that it's a very direct David Lynch reference so the ambiguity is the point. If you try to analyze a David Lynch movie in terms of how much of it was "real" vs. "imaginary" you're just going to argue yourself in circles because the point is that they're always in that fuzzy gray area in the middle. Like Twin Peaks was filled with characters learning things about the real world in their dreams, and then the real world itself being weird and dreamlike, and Inland Empire takes its cues from that. So like it's not really "real" or "imaginary" - it's more like it's "real enough".

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The thing about Inland Empire is that it's a very direct David Lynch reference so the ambiguity is the point. If you try to analyze a David Lynch movie in terms of how much of it was "real" vs. "imaginary" you're just going to argue yourself in circles because the point is that they're always in that fuzzy gray area in the middle. Like Twin Peaks was filled with characters learning things about the real world in their dreams, and then the real world itself being weird and dreamlike, and Inland Empire takes its cues from that. So like it's not really "real" or "imaginary" - it's more like it's "real enough".

this

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

I agree it's purposefully vague but still think it leans more towards non-supernatural. The corpse was from a man killed in the middle of having sex, there are I believe a couple of references to him looking happy when he died - that could be "love did me in." The union cover-up, or Harry over-generalizing from the fact that Martinese was one of the beachheads of the Moralintern forces that stopped the revolution could be the "communism killed me."

The main reason I lean away from paranatural though is from the endgame conversation with the Phasmid. I suppose you could say that that particular conversation is all in his head but some of IE's other uses aren't, but that one is very clearly coming from Harry to me. How else do you account for Harry having a conversation about what it's like to be a bug with a bug who tells Harry that it isn't like anything because the Phasmid isn't self-aware?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
But doesn't that just mean IE is even more supernatural? :)

To be honest though, I don't think IE is supernatural. But nor do I think IE is madness, or delusion, or imagination or anything. My theory is that IE is *metatextual*. IE is a hotline directly to the author.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 12, 2019

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Digital Osmosis posted:

The main reason I lean away from paranatural though is from the endgame conversation with the Phasmid. I suppose you could say that that particular conversation is all in his head but some of IE's other uses aren't, but that one is very clearly coming from Harry to me. How else do you account for Harry having a conversation about what it's like to be a bug with a bug who tells Harry that it isn't like anything because the Phasmid isn't self-aware?

Magical realism doesn't have to give a gently caress.

*throws a smoke on an oil note that reads "It's a metaphor for re-establishing a connection with the world" and watches it burn*

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The thing that makes that moment so great to me is that it doesn't actually matter if it's real or not. Its significance transcends 'is it real or is it imaginery' because in either case it's Harry's moment of grace. The moment when he's really able to assess and see outside himself and accept kindness, spurred by seeing something beyond himself. Is it really a stick insect telling him the world is hoping for the best and helping advise him how to move on from his pain? Or is it just his mind finally trying to be kind to himself? Either way, it's a deeply significant encounter and it's left to the reader to interpret what he experienced. The reason I lean towards the supernatural explanation myself is because I feel it matches well as a contrast to learning about the Pale. You've had so many seemingly horrible revelations and discoveries, and now Harry finds something strange and different and genuinely wonderful, and perhaps the strange new thing is genuinely kind and hoping for the best in all things. It makes the perfect capstone to a campaign spent being curious and trying to be a better person. The openness is met with openness and Harry finds something kind and wonderful.

Either interpretation still works. That's the key to so much of the supernatural/not supernatural stuff in DE. The story still has meaning whether it's about a man with a very active internal life or yer a wizard Harry.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Also: iirc that conversation is where you find out that the Pale is created by human consciousness, right? that seems like something that can have big consequences if its true or not

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Accordion Man posted:

Considering Harry didn't even investigate the body at all prior to the start of the game one can assume he was just completely wasted the whole time and didn't do much investigating.

He made it as far as the church. It's heavily implied (and maybe stated more directly in experiences I didn't have) that he had a direct encounter with the pale seed/hole in the world. Because of how weird the pale is, Harry could be kicking around with a bunch of other people's memories/experiences. I much prefer the magical realism ambiguity, but if you really wanted to be a lore nerd about it, you can argue that Inland Empire is just all of Harry's knowledge gained from the pale bubbling to the surface.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

:3:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

When I get around to replaying I'm really looking forward to how that convo goes for the other political alignments. All the lines related to being a communist in the ending are just too perfect though

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the phasmid was somehow altering the shooter's perception of reality and permanently changing his brain chemistry through some kind of aura so harry gaining some sort of ESP when near it isnt much greater of a stretch

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

the phasmid was somehow altering the shooter's perception of reality and permanently changing his brain chemistry through some kind of aura so harry gaining some sort of ESP when near it isnt much greater of a stretch

it's not an aura it's a neurotoxin

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

No Mods No Masters posted:

When I get around to replaying I'm really looking forward to how that convo goes for the other political alignments. All the lines related to being a communist in the ending are just too perfect though

commie cop fits too drat well and it is hilariously good that it is so

With the Return and whole ominous springtime thing, a communist cop makes sense. Also, I noticed only this second time: it seems Precinct 41 is planning to do something... Revolutionary? Captain Pryce mentions "when the time comes, he (Harry) will side with the people"

xpack when

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://twitter.com/SkillUpYT/status/1205221234323013632

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

good so far but lmao that despite all the depth he missed the big INFO button on the skills