Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.
The integrity of the full English Breakfast has been preserved! Phew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

mcmagic posted:

It's can't be just that... Brexit is like a 50-50 issue. How does that translate to such a huge Tory win?

Labour picked a far left crank as their party leader and the UK electorate don't find that appealing. It's not rocket science really.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Looke posted:

the exit poll is wrong please tell me this is the case
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...f08ecfcf97ff72d

quote:

How accurate are exit polls?

How accurate are exit polls? Broadcasters have been commissioning exit polls at least since 1974 and in recent years they have been reliable, and sometimes extraordinarily accurate. But in the 1990s and earlier there were some bad misses.

Here are figures showing how they have performed in the past. The data comes from the elections analyst David Cowling.

Wrong by 4. The combined BBC/ITV/Sky exit poll said the Conservatives would be 12 seats short of a majority, and they ended up eight seats short of a majority.

Wrong by 22. It said the Conservatives would be 10 seats short of a majority, but they got a majority of 12.

Spot on. It said the Conservatives would be 19 short of a majority, and they were.

Spot on. It predicted a Labour majority of 66, which Labour got.

Before 2005 the BBC and ITV commissioned separate exit polls. Their record was not as good as the record of the more recent combined one.

Both exit polls correctly predicted a landslide Labour majority, but the BBC got the size of the majority wrong by 10 seats (too low), and ITV wrong by eight seats (too high).

Both exit polls also predicted a Labour landslide, but the BBC got the size of the majority wrong by 6 (too high), and ITV wrong by 20 seats (too low).

Both exit polls predicted a hung parliament, but the Conservatives won a majority. The BBC’s estimate for the final majority/non-majority was wrong by 70 seats, and ITV’s wrong by 62 seats.

Both exit polls correctly predicted a Conservative majority, but they both underestimated how big it would be. The BBC was wrong by 76 seats, and ITV by 34 seats.

Both exit polls correctly predicted a Conservative landslide. The BBC got the size of the majority wrong by just 2 seats (too high), but ITV was wrong by 28 seats (too low).

Both exit polls correctly predicted a Conservative majority, but the BBC got got size of the majority wrong by 29 seats (too low) and ITV got it wrong by 20 seats (too high).

October 1974

This was a disaster for the BBC. Labour won a tiny majority, but the BBC forecast a Labour landslide. It was wrong by 132 seats. ITV also predicted a Labour majority, but it was wrong by 12 seats (too high).

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
free scotland from the shackles of this failed union imho

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Happier than ever that I got the gently caress out in '07. Hope the poll's bullshit though.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

surf rock posted:

Is this like Brexit and everyone is legitimately surprised by the outcome? Were people thinking Labour was going to win a majority outright, or just that the Tories would be prevented from having a majority?

This is the worst result for Labour since before WW2, according to Sky.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Chuka Umana posted:

Maybe if Corbyn hadn't let Seamus Milne dictate party policy Labour could've positioned itself as a party of remain. Instead we got wishy washy bullshit to satisfy northern Labour voters who vote Conservative anyway.

lol no

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
loving knew it. I loving knew it. :suicide:

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

piss my life away from this earth

Antagonism
Jul 28, 2010
I didn't get any drinks but I'm starting to wish I had.

I'm absolutely stunned. It's not even close.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I don't even know what to say any more. What the gently caress is wrong with this country? If that exit poll is correct, I just don't loving know anymore.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

baka kaba posted:

look, these results are so wildly beyond expectations that there's no point believing they're anything close to reflecting reality, so hang in there guys

Yeah I can't see where the gently caress those 70 seats are especially if the Lib Dems stayed level. gently caress.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

DekeThornton posted:

Labour picked a far left crank as their party leader and the UK electorate don't find that appealing. It's not rocket science really.

Shut the gently caress up. The Labour manifesto was pretty conservative by the standards of what we need.

Absolutely no patience for dipshit Yank libs tonight.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Solkanar512 posted:

How close has this exit poll been in the past? How many folks interviewed?

Its been wildly wrong in the 70's but its got increasingly accurate since then

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Thanks JC :) needed this

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

This just confirms the thesis that literally everyone on the planet except us as accepted; The English are by far and away the worst race our species has spawned.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Here in Horsforth everyone I heard talking today voted tory hmm

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Solkanar512 posted:

How close has this exit poll been in the past? How many folks interviewed?

The Guardian has a retrospective on it. It's been off by as much as 22 seats in recent years. That being said, if the result is due to lots of pluralities (which is likely to be the case) then there would be a greater possibility for deviance. That being said, it looks like a total blowout victory for the Tories.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/dec/12/general-election-2019-uk-live-labour-tories-corbyn-boris-johnson-results-exit-poll

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

who the gently caress was corbyn pandering to with his bullshit compromise positions. They could've completely neutered the Lib Dem threat day one by backing remain.

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!
If the Tories actually get a majority after all of the brazen, lying poo poo during this campaign, I'm genuinely fearful for the state of our democracy. Who the hell is going to hold these fuckers to account?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
So...How quickly will Sturgeon push for a 2nd referendum then

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
gently caress.

Well say good bye to the NHS.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

dream is dead boys. only upside is that the tories will have no one to blame but themselves for brexit. can't try and claim labour caused the brexit crash.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
Burn it all to the fuckin' ground.
It -is- the Australian election all over again.
You run yourself ragged trying to educate, trying to keep on top of the lies, the spin. You have an incumbent that's run the country into the ground, has no vision for the future. And the fuckin' dickheads still just hand over to them carte blanche to do it all over again.
I don't get it.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
If this ends up true then barring the IOW somehow breaking with decades of tradition and not going full Tory I will give serious thought to giving up my job at my area's CAB, I don't know if I want to help people who will almost certainly have voted to destroy me, my family (ironically also pro-Tory), themselves and everyone around them for the sake of Brexit, despite all the suffering that I've seen come through the office doors. Sounds mean but I just want to vent somewhere. Just loving mindblowing.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

gently caress big john is not pleased

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Rarity posted:

So is there anywhere in the world we can go that isn't doing fascism?

Ireland is only doing soft fascism. Just don't google Direct Provision - *no wait come back, I said don't Google it!*

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Chuka Umana posted:

who the gently caress was corbyn pandering to with his bullshit compromise positions. They could've completely neutered the Lib Dem threat day one by backing remain.

And that would have won over the people who voted Tory today in the traditional heartlands how?

Running up the score isn't it.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

CyberPingu posted:

So...How quickly will Sturgeon push for a 2nd referendum then

Tomorrow

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

Recoome posted:

free scotland from the shackles of this failed union imho

ironically a tory majority is the least likely option to allow a second indy ref

forkboy84 posted:

Shut the gently caress up. The Labour manifesto was pretty conservative by the standards of what we need.

it wasn't, it was a radical manifesto for UK politics

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I get why you Brits electoral system is hosed and hope was always a lie

but if these polls are anywhere near correct I still didn't expect this kind of landslide, fuckin drat

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

GordonTheDeadFish posted:

If the Tories actually get a majority after all of the brazen, lying poo poo during this campaign, I'm genuinely fearful for the state of our democracy. Who the hell is going to hold these fuckers to account?

Not just a majority, it's a landslide if the numbers hold.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
It’s over. The racists and fascists have won. We’re all going to die in a climate apocalypse. The world will only dive head first into eco fascism, the right wing have won over the truth. Rupert Murdoch has won. Start planning and living accordingly and no one to your right is your friend. I hate this life.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Hopefully the us doesn't go with another dumb vote next year

Evrim
Nov 15, 2005

yum!!
ugh

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

DekeThornton posted:

that far left crank got the biggest swing to any uk party for over 60 years last go round though, there's clearly something else going on.

its the loving eu. everyone was surprised by the tory majority when cameron promised the ref, everyone was surprised by the ref result, now everyones surprised by the brexit-at-risk election. it's the loving eu

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I recently read a novel, 84K, by Claire North. It was fiction when it was published but it turns out she was very prescient

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Time for the far right cunts who were too chicken poo poo to post before to come out the woodwork then

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Wow the only time Johson wins a vote is when he isnt PM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
It is hard not to conclude that 2017 was the last free and fair election we will ever have in this country.