Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

bartlebee posted:

What are y’all’s favorite trashy appetizer or potluck dishes? Like, on the level of little smokies, pigs in a blanket, cheese balls, biscuit dough pizza knots, etc. We’ve done classier recipes for game nights before but the trashy stuff is always more popular.

Block of cream cheese with red pepper jelly on top and clubhouse crackers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Those soft cheese things coated in nuts or just chips and Velveeta/ Rotel queso.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

bartlebee posted:

What are y’all’s favorite trashy appetizer or potluck dishes? Like, on the level of little smokies, pigs in a blanket, cheese balls, biscuit dough pizza knots, etc. We’ve done classier recipes for game nights before but the trashy stuff is always more popular.

Ham balls. Quick ground ham & ground pork meatballs in a tomato&vinegar-based sauce. We always threw in chunk pineapple when baking them as well, because ham and roasted pineapple is a thing (a very 1950's thing).

https://www.pork.org/blog/iowa-ham-balls/

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 10, 2019

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

A crock pot of Swedish meatballs are p dope too

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Along the lines of hard candy peanut(or whatever nut really) brittle is easy to make and people think you're some kind of wizard.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Chex Mix is also like that. It is nigh zero effort but people love the poo poo out of it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
My wife brought home some gourds from a non-gourd-related conference. I assume they’re food? What should I do with them? Just like peel them and cook them like any other squash?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I'll second Velveeta+Rotel dip and crackers+cream cheese+pepper jelly.

If you want delicious trash that can be dressed to impress, buffalo wings or popcorn. Jalapeño poppers or samosas might also work here.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

What is a good way to bake juicy chicken? I heard 450 at ~20 minutes, but it's pretty inconsistent when I do it.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Thanks for all the top tier suggestions. Glad to see we can go lowbrow in here too; that velveet dip was a staple of my childhood family gatherings.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

SardonicTyrant posted:

What is a good way to bake juicy chicken? I heard 450 at ~20 minutes, but it's pretty inconsistent when I do it.
Brine, fabricate or at least spatchcock, use a thermometer.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
On the lowbrow but delicious topic:

Salmon Spread

1 Block cream cheese, softned
1 can of pink salmon, deboned, and de-skinned
1 TBS lemon Juice
1 TBS dried dill weed (use the weed, NOT the seed)
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt

Place all ingredients into a mixing bowl and whip together with a fork.
Refrigerate for at least 4 hours to allow cream cheese to re-solidify

Spread that on a triscuit and chow down.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

SardonicTyrant posted:

The best way is to get a good meat thermometer. The Thermapen is absolutely the best choice. It seems expensive but it gives an instant reading rather than taking several seconds to come up to the actual temperature, and they're durable as hell. Whatever thermometer you have, you want to pull your chicken from the oven when it hits about 160, depending on the cut. Boneless skinless chicken breasts you can pull a little sooner, bone-in chicken thighs should be pulled a little later. And make sure you allow it to rest. Let the meat sit for five minutes on a cutting board (not on the sheet pan you were baking it on) and it'll reabsorb its juices rather than letting them run all over when you cut into it.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

prayer group posted:

The best way is to get a good meat thermometer. The Thermapen is absolutely the best choice. It seems expensive but it gives an instant reading rather than taking several seconds to come up to the actual temperature, and they're durable as hell. Whatever thermometer you have, you want to pull your chicken from the oven when it hits about 160, depending on the cut. Boneless skinless chicken breasts you can pull a little sooner, bone-in chicken thighs should be pulled a little later. And make sure you allow it to rest. Let the meat sit for five minutes on a cutting board (not on the sheet pan you were baking it on) and it'll reabsorb its juices rather than letting them run all over when you cut into it.

Pull breasts at 145, and not a moment longer. Thighs are really hard to overcook because they have a lot of collagen. The longer you cook them, the more they get that pull-apart texture, just like braising cuts of beef and pork. You can go by texture once they hit 165.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
145! That's on the high end of medium for a steak. Kind of daring, but you do you!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Block of cream cheese with red pepper jelly on top and clubhouse crackers.

Oh yeah, stupid easy, but SO GOOD. I know they are unpopular, but I like Triscuits for this.

Also, baked brie with toasted almond slices and warm maple syrup, droooool.....

Casu Marzu posted:

A crock pot of Swedish meatballs are p dope too

Any time I do this for a party, they disappear like magic. Costco sells these pineapple-flavored chicken meatballs, those are super popular too. I usually do those with the grape jelly and chili sauce.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

prayer group posted:

145! That's on the high end of medium for a steak. Kind of daring, but you do you!

Let the chicken rest. Wrap it in foil and let sit for at least 10 minutes. It'll cook further by itself.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

prayer group posted:

Pasteurization is a combination of time and temperature. 145F internal for 9ish minutes is the same as reaching 165.

You can go even lower with an immersion circulator if for some reason you wanted to eat 130F texture chicken.

Edit: speaking of safe meat temp, just in case there's still ppl temping pork to 160F, the FDA recommendation for pork changed awhile ago. They now recommend heating to 145F and rest for 3 minutes.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 10, 2019

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

tuyop posted:

My wife brought home some gourds from a non-gourd-related conference. I assume they’re food? What should I do with them? Just like peel them and cook them like any other squash?

Yes. I like to roast them with cumin and thyme.

I made a particular good soup out of a random selection of gourds and squashes I got from the community farm the other day.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Casu Marzu posted:

Pasteurization is a combination of time and temperature. 145F internal for 9ish minutes is the same as reaching 165.

You can go even lower with an immersion circulator if for some reason you wanted to eat 130F texture chicken.

Edit: speaking of safe meat temp, just in case there's still ppl temping pork to 160F, the FDA recommendation for pork changed awhile ago. They now recommend heating to 145F and rest for 3 minutes.

I do not recommend doing 140F or even 145 internal temp immersion circulator cook for chicken. It's such a weird texture that I was not used to having I about vomited and couldn't continue eating. Although mentally I knew I was fine my body 'noped' out.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

OTOH I thought 145 was fukkin fantastic

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yeah I’m a 145er too

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

For turkey I go 152 white since I inevitably miss the thickest part and end up with some undercooked bits. Oh well, into the Joule bath at 150 the next day smooths over my uneven roasting :v:

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

140 for breast meat I'm chopping up for chicken salad, on a sandwich or planning to reheat and serve later. 145 for breast meat I'm serving immediately. 160 for dark meat.

In a sous vide that is.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Liquid Communism posted:

Chex Mix is also like that. It is nigh zero effort but people love the poo poo out of it.

My wife makes it with white chocolate, M&M's, and pretzels added in and people go absolutely bonkers over it. It's crazy.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I’ve always made corned beef with a crockpot and it comes out kinda chippy. If I want it to be a bit firmer like a roast, for slicing into sandwich meat, how do I do that? Oven bake it instead perhaps?

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Okay, am I hosed?
I cooked some T bone steaks last night @ 134 for about 2 hours sous vide. Before bed I pulled them to let them cool in the sink under water. Problem is I was drinking and forgot to put them in the fridge for 8 hrs so they just sat in the sink at basically room temp. I'm inclined to think they were/are 'shelf' stable so this morning realized my gently caress up and put them in the fridge.

So, do we think they are safe? Should I SV again to pasteurize them or just toss them in the trash? Please tell me I didn't just throw $40 worth of meat away :(

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

They'd be good at room temp for like 4 hours, so there's a little risk of botulism, but it likely will still taste great. Dice roll but I'd eat it if no immunity compromises.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

sterster posted:

Okay, am I hosed?
I cooked some T bone steaks last night @ 134 for about 2 hours sous vide. Before bed I pulled them to let them cool in the sink under water. Problem is I was drinking and forgot to put them in the fridge for 8 hrs so they just sat in the sink at basically room temp. I'm inclined to think they were/are 'shelf' stable so this morning realized my gently caress up and put them in the fridge.

So, do we think they are safe? Should I SV again to pasteurize them or just toss them in the trash? Please tell me I didn't just throw $40 worth of meat away :(

Technically they could be contaminated. The odds are low. I would absolutely not serve it to anyone immunocompromised, pregnant, extremely elderly or very young. Don't get mad at me if you get the shits though.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I would be mad as hell at myself but I would not eat them

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Ehhhhh.

How thick were they? At 134F, a 2 inch steak needs 3.75 hours for pasteurization.

Unless these were some fancy rear end steaks, I'd prob toss em. But I've also had food poisoning from improperly cooked sous vide foods, and I'd rather not experience shooting lava out of both ends for 12 hours straight ever again.

Edit: you're prob fine though

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 11, 2019

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Casu Marzu posted:

How thick were they? At 134F, a 2 inch steak needs 3.75 hours for pasteurization.

They were about 1-1.5 inches thick at best and they were probably in the bath from like 7:30ish - 10. Also, my understanding for meat is that in general the stuff that gets you sick in on the surface of the muscle and not deep within. As far as I know and from looks these were not tenderized either.
Edit: It may also be worth mentioning that these were heavily salted too.

sterster fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 11, 2019

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

sterster posted:

Also, my understanding for meat is that in general the stuff that gets you sick in on the surface of the muscle and not deep within.

Typically yes, and that's usually resolved by searing the gently caress out of the surface in a pan or grill that's likely 400F or hotter.

Unless you are instantly bringing your food up to the target temperature, there's still the lag time that can still produce bacterial growth. The little nasties don't need a whole lot of buddies to make you vomit for a day or three straight.

On the other hand, the time/temp combo is specifically to reduce bacterial contamination risk to like the 0.0001% chance. Your level of concern may differ.

Edit: at one inch, you're right on the line of okay. Pasteurization is achieved by 2 hours held at 134F.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 11, 2019

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
In any case, please let us know how they tasted and whether you got sick :munch:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
My fried green plantains keep coming out harder than I like. How can I make them softer? Do I just need to let them get a little more yellow?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

My fried green plantains keep coming out harder than I like. How can I make them softer? Do I just need to let them get a little more yellow?

or slice them a little thinner

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Weltlich posted:

or slice them a little thinner

They just turn into chips if I do that

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
time for some pork stock!

I got a bunch of Bones and some meat that were stored in the freezer and now defrosted. should I make it just like chicken stock? aromatics? I'll prob use it for chili

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
It'll take longer than chicken stock but yea, unless you have something very specific in mind where the stock plays a more prominent role I don't think there's much point in worrying about it too much or getting elaborate with spices or aromatics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yep. If you're using it for chili I'd just do the standard western onion/celery/carrots, maybe a bulb of garlic too. If you want to get fancy throw in a ginger, ginger and pork are excellent together.